Airmiles Armchair Chatter

O/T
DVC (Disney vacation club) related
Talk me down OR UP
Soooooo addontiis has hit me hard (DVC member for over 10 years).
I have enough points to stay at my home resort for a week. But I have always wanted to buy more points at AKV and I have the funds to do it now but I only buy small point contracts and the resale wait for 2 30-35 point contracts is horrible.
I am thinking of going direct buy from Disney.
You know if this was something for my kids I'd be all over it but have a bit of a hard time when it is just really for me.
This could be considered part of my retirement plan as I do plan to stay at Disney for 2-3 weeks every year when I retire.:lovestruc
So Yah or Nay?
I say Yah, and then rent them to me as I'm already retired ;) . Trying to plan something to do for June and its driving me nuts!!

On to your topic, if you buy them as resale don't you lose a lot of the benefits? That would be something I would think about as they can always change the rules again when ever they want.

I say Yah, and then rent them to me as I'm already retired ;) . Trying to plan something to do for June and its driving me nuts!!

On to your topic, if you buy them as resale don't you lose a lot of the benefits? That would be something I would think about as they can always change the rules again when ever they want.
Hi Hon
yes there is that BUT to be honest I am not concerned as I already have points that were purchased before Disney started to make all their changes to member benefits plus I'd never use DVC points to cruise as I don't think that I'd get good value for them,,I'd probably rent out my points to David Rental and then take the cash to cruise.
AKV is a popular commodity for DVC rentals.
The thing about DVC is not really the initial cost to buy in but the yearly maintenance fees multiplied over the use of the contract. I am trying to maximize my days at the lowest cost possible.
So much to learn when buying a timeshare--I've been doing DVC for a number of years and still learn something new all the time.
Thanks for the YAH and I hope you find a great getaway soon!
Hugs Mel

Does everyone know that the Cineplex Family Favourite movies are actually $2.99 every Saturday morning? We've never been because my children have sports/music lessons at that time. But I have heard they are very popular so get there early as there are huge lineups, especially since they are now free!
It will most likely be a sold out theatre, but since we have physical tickets, we will get seats. Though I will probably avoid the concession.

It will most likely be a sold out theatre, but since we have physical tickets, we will get seats. Though I will probably avoid the concession.

Have a great time Hon!
I was one of those moms that used to pack treats in her purse for the show,,3 kids x what they charge for treats is alot.
Have a blast!
Hugs Mel

Hey Mel?? I think Pooh says it best ....
View attachment 302962

You will be happy if you make the jump, the Duck says GO FOR IT!

Thanks Hon
I will be Happy..........................:lovestruc
I respect your thoughts and opinions.
Big Hugs
Mel

PS "like my new avatar"?
Side note:
Last Wednesday I walked out of my school and crossed the street like I do everyday....break time.
I was one step from the curb when a Mississauga transit bus made a too wide left hand turn onto the street I was crossing. I don't think he even saw me until it was too late, in a split second I nearly lost my life. I threw myself sideways forward (snow bank)and I am safe but it has really made me appreciate every day.

Last edited:

Thanks Hon
I will be Happy..........................:lovestruc
I respect your thoughts and opinions.
Big Hugs
Mel

PS "like my new avatar"?
Side note:
Last Wednesday I walked out of my school and crossed the street like I do everyday....break time.
I was one step from the curb when a Mississauga transit bus made a too wide left hand turn onto the street I was crossing. I don't think he even saw me until it was too late, in a split second I nearly lost my life. I threw myself sideways forward (snow bank)and I am safe but it has really made me appreciate every day.
OMG! I am glad that you are unharmed. Take care!

O/T
Talk me down OR UP
I have enough points to stay at my home resort for a week. But I have always wanted to buy more points at AKV and I have the funds to do it now but I only buy small point contracts and the resale wait for 2 30-35 point contracts is horrible.
I am thinking of going direct buy from Disney. I know I could save a few thousand resale but the resale contracts for small points are far and few between--long wait and usually stripped of points for current year.
You know if this was something for my kids I'd be all over it but have a bit of a hard time when it is just really for me.
This could be considered part of my retirement plan as I do plan to stay at Disney for 2-3 weeks every year when I retire.:lovestruc
So Yah or Nay?
So as a fellow DVC'r I can understand the dilemma.
1st you do not need the extras, your present points cover all that. Even with the new rules starting Feb 25th.
I assume you want 2 small contracts to give to the kids later. Because even have one at 70-100 is still a small contract. But trying to get 2 for 30-40 and having the same use year(again assuming) we be tough. Not impossible, but need to have some time. Buying direct will be able to get that easier, and having small contracts, the gap is not as huge as larger resales. Remember you save on closing costs, you can tell your guide that you want the UY you have already and the wait should be less.
But 70 total extra points will only be 3-5 days extra depending on the time of year. AKL is not hard to get at 7 months, unless you want the value rooms, then its tough anytime even at 11 months.
I would buy direct for that small of a contract. But given me, I would buy resale SSR for a few more points, less dues.
The other option to look at is how often would you use those points and would it be better to rent and not have the big outlay of cash upfront.
If you end up buying, use Daves to rent the first time to understand it, then do it yourself. No sense giving money away for an easy transaction. I can help you on that, and I know of a few on here that would rent from you.

Glad you're ok Mel. Thats way beyond scary, others would not be so quick on their feet and into a snowbank.

Last edited:
So as a fellow DVC'r I can understand the dilemma.
1st you do not need the extras, your present points cover all that. Even with the new rules starting Feb 25th.
I assume you want 2 small contracts to give to the kids later. Because even have one at 70-100 is still a small contract. But trying to get 2 for 30-40 and having the same use year(again assuming) we be tough. Not impossible, but need to have some time. Buying direct will be able to get that easier, and having small contracts, the gap is not as huge as larger resales. Remember you save on closing costs, you can tell your guide that you want the UY you have already and the wait should be less.
But 70 total extra points will only be 3-5 days extra depending on the time of year. AKL is not hard to get at 7 months, unless you want the value rooms, then its tough anytime even at 11 months.
I would buy direct for that small of a contract. But given me, I would buy resale SSR for a few more points, less dues.
The other option to look at is how often would you use those points and would it be better to rent and not have the big outlay of cash upfront.
If you end up buying, use Daves to rent the first time to understand it, then do it yourself. No sense giving money away for an easy transaction. I can help you on that, and I know of a few on here that would rent from you.

O/T
Hi Mort
I have been thinking about adding on for a very long time. I used to have a small contract at AKV and regret selling it a few years ago.
I am looking for the 11 month home resort booking advantage. I love the value rooms but I am realistic and understand that they go fast. I plan to start using these points every Jan so I don't think I'll need to rent out, however I appreciate your offer to help should I need to.
I've decided to go with one 70 AKV point contract direct , DVC has put me on a wait list.
My other 4 contracts OKW are small points.......... just for ease of resale,,plus it took me awhile to pay
cash for each of them.
I am not sure about putting an associate on this contract,,my youngest son would be interested.
I have considered all the other resorts but I think this one is going to be AKV.
Soooooooo when are YOU adding on??
Thanks for being such a great friend
Hugs Mel

Last edited:
O/T
Talk me down OR UP
I am thinking of going direct buy from Disney. I know I could save a few thousand resale but the resale contracts for small points are far and few between--long wait and usually stripped of points for current year.
So Yah or Nay?

[OT]

Yeh.

We added on a small contract, direct, the only real negative we see is when the maintenance bill comes around. If and when we get to the point that we don't want to go to Disney as much, we will likely sell our main contract and keep the small one, going every three years. Small contracts of course sell for a premium so part of the higher cost of buying direct will likely be absorbed when you sell.

We are of the mindset of buying where you want to stay, especially as DVC expands making it harder to get other resorts at 7 months. If you don't really care, maybe waiting for a resale would make sense as you could buy any resort instead of waiting for just AKV. However, you might be in for a very long wait for a 30-35 point contract. We have been DVC since 2009 and watch the point costs go up every year, buying later would likely mean more $$$.

I think if you have the funds to buy and carry the maintenance fees, you will have no regrets.

Hi Mort
I have been thinking about adding on for a very long time. I used to have a small contract at AKV and regret selling it a few years ago.
I am looking for the 11 month home resort booking advantage. I love the value rooms but I am realistic and understand that they go fast. I plan to start using these points every Jan so I don't think I'll need to rent out, however I appreciate your offer to help should I need to.
I've decided to go with one 70 AKV point contract direct , DVC has put me on a wait list.
My other 4 contracts OKW are small points.......... just for ease of resale,,plus it took me awhile to pay
cash for each of them.
I am not sure about putting an associate on this contract,,my youngest son would be interested.
I have considered all the other resorts but I think this one is going to be AKV.
Soooooooo when are YOU adding on??
Thanks for being such a great friend
Hugs Mel

Ahhh, didn't read ahead, you've already decided lol. Good choice! You also will have a shot at conciege rooms there, nice to have every once in awhile even if it isn't really your thing.

FWIW, we added one of our kids to our contract when we bought and are glad we did (we have three kids but only one was 18 when we bought). In our case, it gives our kids dvc privileges without us being with them (... meals, Totwl, epcot member centre, tickets ...)

Last edited:
[OT]

Yeh.

We added on a small contract, direct, the only real negative we see is when the maintenance bill comes around. If and when we get to the point that we don't want to go to Disney as much, we will likely sell our main contract and keep the small one, going every three years. Small contracts of course sell for a premium so part of the higher cost of buying direct will likely be absorbed when you sell.

We are of the mindset of buying where you want to stay, especially as DVC expands making it harder to get other resorts at 7 months. If you don't really care, maybe waiting for a resale would make sense as you could buy any resort instead of waiting for just AKV. However, you might be in for a very long wait for a 30-35 point contract. We have been DVC since 2009 and watch the point costs go up every year, buying later would likely mean more $$$.

I think if you have the funds to buy and carry the maintenance fees, you will have no regrets.

Hi Hon
Thank-you for your thoughts and I agree buying where you want to stay is becoming more and more important.
Yes all my "Christmas Time Fund" goes to DVC maintenance fees,,lol.
Hugs to You
Mel

A few in-store deals at Sobeys (Ontario) that I wrote down last week, all expiring Feb 28:

Oasis juice $3.49 b2 g 10am
Nordic cottage cheese $2.99 b2 g 5am,
Clorox/Greenworks products $3.49 b2 g 10am
Sunlight laundy $5.99/$5.49 b2 g 10am
Purex 44 loads $5.99 b2 g 10am
Finish dw cleaners $5.49/$6.49 2 g 5am
Compliments Garbage bags 30 $4.99 b2 g 30am
Compliments Compost bags $13.99 b2 g 30
Compliments Blue recycling bags $7.99 b2 g 30
Charmin $20.99 10 am
Catelli pastas $2.29 b2 g 5am
Clover leaf snacks $1.99 2g 5am
Billybee honey $5.99 g 5am
Chex cereals $3.99 5 am
Rogers Wheat germ/Wheat bran $1.49 g 15am
Tim's coffees 5 am various, ground is $7.49
Melitta filters $1.99 $2.99 5am
Solo energy bars $1.99 b3 g 10am
Astro Balkan plain $3.49 b2 g10
Tresemme $4.99 b2 g 10am
Kleenex 6 packs b2 g 20am

The Rogers bran/wheat germ has for sure been my best deal this month as I use quite a bit of both so have been buying it every week. Regular price $2.29, sale price $1.49 with 15 am. Small stock quantity at my stores so I've been buying 1 or 2 each trip to not clear the shelf. YMMV.

I saw a lot of blue in-store tags in the pharmacy aisles but didn't dare check them out as I didn't need anything, too concerned about catching something.

Like me! I have rented from David’s in the past but I have been thinking now that I am sort of familiar with the process I will try to rent privately next time.

Whoop! I earned 281 miles this weekend on $311 of food. Not a great ratio. I am having surgery this week so won't be able to do the grocery shopping over the next few weeks. DH is already asking about my air miles procedures LOL He sees the benefits of collecting now after our third vacation.

Sending good thoughts and well wishes for a speedy recovery.
Hugs Mel

Whoop! I earned 281 miles this weekend on $311 of food. Not a great ratio. I am having surgery this week so won't be able to do the grocery shopping over the next few weeks. DH is already asking about my air miles procedures LOL He sees the benefits of collecting now after our third vacation.

Best wishes on your surgery!
77C25A48-F6D8-4E1F-8501-CA14464CFF80.jpeg

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter