Airmiles Armchair Chatter

If you're really wanting the AM then purchasing some of the items listed above that DizzyDis mentioned is a great way to rack up the miles if you wait until there is an email and website coupon. Spend $50 get 200AM. It's a really good return.

I do but what would I buy there? We use solid shampoo bars, we don't wear fragrance or cosmetics, my husband keeps his beard long, I make my own cleaning supplies... we don't have any family to buy gifts for, and we don't use gift cards.

I'd agree with the groceries, milk, cheese & bread are often on sale, TP and paper towels, toothbrushes? I often buy travel sized items like sunscreen as I like to travel with only carry on. Some are now selling M&M frozen items as well. If you can do the $50 for 200 AM, it is a really good return.

Some of the ones near us have groceries, so we buy milk and cheese of it is on sale, even bread, crackers, cereal. With 2 kids that eat a ton, I can usually do $50 of groceries and get their bonus offers when they have them.
Good suggestions. I second toilet paper and paper towels. marcyleecorgan, I would also suggest:
- q-tips,
- band-aids,
- over-the-counter meds (such as pain relievers and cold medication),
- Epsom salts (between $10-12 a jug so that adds up really fast).

I only buy these items for the $50 offer if they are on sale for a good price.

Last edited:
My only other drug store idea: do you donate to the foodbank? Toothpaste and toothbrushes, menstrual products, sunscreen, soap, and other basic hygiene products are always very well received.

but at the end of the day, if you just don't typically buy products that Rexall sells, I would say it doesn't matter how great the return on miles...it's not worth your money.

....at the end of the day, if you just don't typically buy products that Rexall sells, I would say it doesn't matter how great the return on miles...it's not worth your money.
That is how I feel. Rexall isn't anywhere near me. It has to be a great deal, AND I have to be going in that direction for me to bite. It's a lot like the PC Flashfood. There are great things to buy, but if I'm not in the vicinity, it isn't worth my gas to order from them. If I am....I'm all over the deals that work for my family.

but at the end of the day, if you just don't typically buy products that Rexall sells, I would say it doesn't matter how great the return on miles...it's not worth your money.
THIS!!! That goes for any purchases, including that bigger size of _____ (insert whatever some fast food location is trying to push on you) One of hubby's favourite phrases is "We can't afford to save that much" We never buy anything strictly for miles (other than that time Metro had those philly cheesecake thingees that were too good!!) and it has to meet a few criteria before i will buy it
  1. Is it over a 1:1 ratio?
  2. Is it something that will get used before it expires?
  3. Do we have room to store it? (things like paper towel & toilet paper can get squished into smaller spaces than say 10 boxes of cereal!)
  4. Can we truly afford to spend that much right now? (we spent far too many years over-extended and we're too old to play catch-up)
  5. Are we pushing to meet a goal and will those miles let us meet it in "time"? (car rental, hotel stay, flights..)
  6. Do I have the time/energy to make the trip to ________ (insert store that has the promo)
We all have our own guidelines to follow but it should come right down to can we afford to chase the miles???
airmilessad.png

Just My Opinion on getting to ONYX level.
All that I've ever used it for is to get a few dream rewards 20% cheaper,,lately they have not offered many Airmiles events exclusives as they used to.
Personal shopper always comes out with a super high price quote for me.
It's not really that important to me.
Hugs
Mel

I do make a lot of Food Bank donations though.
Current status (until December 31, 2020)
Onyx
You've collected:
31,943*
Miles this year
*Updated weekly each Sunday
trackerImg.jsp

Last edited:

All that I've ever used it for is to get a few dream rewards 20% cheaper,,lately they have not offered many Airmiles events exclusives as they used to.
Hugs
Mel

Onyx
You've collected:
31,943*
Miles this year
trackerImg.jsp
Holy cow......you've earned 31K miles this year? 😲

Here are my thoughts on the Personal Shopper program. When I found out I could use it to obtain items not listed in Air Mile's rewards site, I fell in love with it. Shortly after we got back home and into the swing of things my husband & I decided to start saving all our miles again for a big trip in 3-5 years. That started a month long debate of cash vs dream miles in my head. I had a hard time deciding. I switched my husband's miles to cash and thought I would leave mine on dream. Chances are we will go on a cruise and I thought I would use dream miles to pay for most of the cost and my husband's cash miles for things like the taxes/port fees/deposit and other items.

Then I looked back at the items I purchased with dream miles over the past two years and made up a spreadsheet to see if I had been saving as cash miles and put the money aside to make the purchases myself, how much it would have cost for those items. Costs include taxes and converted into CAN if needed.

My card
A's computer = cost 14,560 miles (those miles worth $1,530 at $10 every 95 cash miles). Computer cost $1,467.87. Would have saved $62
My computer = 21,475 miles (worth $2,260 at $10 every 95 cash miles). Computer cost $1,807.87 - would have saved $452.13 (huge! enough to pay for the 2 hard drives I bought OOP)
Samsung S5E tablet = 6,064 miles (worth $630 at $10 every 95 cash miles). Tablet cost $621.49 - would have saved $8.51
2 MNSSHP tickets = 2,400 miles (worth $250 at 10 every 95 cash miles) ticket CAN cost $224.8 - would have saved 25.33
1 Gatorland AP = 700 miles (worth $70 at $10 every 95 cash miles) CAN cost $64 - would have saved $6

My husband's card
2 MNSSHP tickets = 2,400 miles (worth $250 at $10 every 95 cash miles) CAN cost $224.8 - would have saved 25.33
4 Universal Studio tickets = 20,550 miles (worth $2,160 at $10 every 95 cash miles) CAN cost $1,931.88 - would have saved $228.12

A's computer and the Samsung tablet were purchased on the rewards site, hence the low savings as Air Miles gets these in bulk and charge less miles.
Everything else was purchased through the Personal Shopper program. The Gatorland AP savings surprises me at being so low. The biggest difference was my computer and the Universal tickets. Unfortunately the Universal tickets were not on the reward site when I ordered them.

All together, if I had saved cash miles; put the money aside and purchased the items on my own, I would be ahead $807. Who would have thunk? While I still think the personal shopper program is good and love that Air Miles offers this program, I have decided for my next round of collecting that I will not use it. I switched my account to cash as well. I'll just keep "cashing out" and put the money in our vacation account.

All together, if I had saved cash miles; put the money aside and purchased the items on my own, I would be ahead $807. Who would have thunk? While I still think the personal shopper program is good and love that Air Miles offers this program, I have decided for my next round of collecting that I will not use it. I switched my account to cash as well. I'll just keep "cashing out" and put the money in our vacation account.

I would do the same, except I'm further down the track with saving for a big vacation. My dream account has a big pile, and I feel like if I switch to cash now I'm splitting my earning...so I'm going to keep adding to the dream account until I can cash out a huge pile. My plan has been a disney cruise, but it might also work to use the points for a disney hotel now that it's an option. In any case, I'll need a solid 5-figure air miles balance, so I guess I'm sticking on the dream train for a while longer.

I'm going to switch my wife's card to cash miles and cash $$ out that way, though.

A question for those of you who are earning cash miles right now...do you earn miles when you 'pay' with cash miles?

Say I'm spending 100$ at Safeway, and it's Blue Friday so my 100$ shop should net 500 miles. If I pay with cash miles, will I still earn that same 500 miles?

I'm asking because with PC points I wouldn't earn the same amount (bonus on specific product, yes, base/bonus points for $$ spent, no).

However you pay for your groceries is independent of the Airmiles you earn on the purchase. The AM you earn are yours no matter what payment method you use to pay for the groceries. The one exception is if the store has an offer to use 95 Cash AM get 25 AM (or something) then you would actually earn more AM for using your Cash AM

Mel
Where do you find what you’ve earned throughout the year? I only see what I currently have ?
Thanks xo

QUOTE="bababear_50, post: 61237265, member: 138340"]
Hugs
Mel

Onyx
You've collected:
31,943*
Miles this year
trackerImg.jsp

[/QUOTE]

A question for those of you who are earning cash miles right now...do you earn miles when you 'pay' with cash miles?

Say I'm spending 100$ at Safeway, and it's Blue Friday so my 100$ shop should net 500 miles. If I pay with cash miles, will I still earn that same 500 miles?

I'm asking because with PC points I wouldn't earn the same amount (bonus on specific product, yes, base/bonus points for $$ spent, no).
Yes you do!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter