Airmiles Armchair Chatter

My list is prepared. When I did it up I realized I was close to $200 so I decided to split it up. Do $100+ on my card and $100+ on DH card as the 100 Bonus AM can only be used one time per collector. If anything is out of stock I will need to cut back to doing the shop on just one card but we'll see.

Nice analysis Mort1331, I forgot to look at it that way. I will have to pick up a few more of those.

Happy hunting on Friday everyone.

Last edited:
Does anyone happen to have a paper copy of last week's flyer for Sobey's? I just read on RFD that the flyer (which ends today) has a $1 off coupon for the Barilla Ready Pasta on page 10. I'm wondering if that is true. Coupon is suppose to be good until Jan 31st.

Oh, I specified paper copy of the flyer because the digital ones don't show such a coupon. Unless I'm just totally missing it.

Still eating out of the cupboards, so no Blue Friday for me... :(

However I am not too concerned because I am letting all of y'all explore how to work your Travel AirMiles with the new RedTag system. By the time we actually get to booking everything, I am hopeful I will be able to do it with AM and only have to pay out the cash for all the fees. DH said he was open to staying at one of the DS hotels since he heard about FP+ and shuttles. We are pretty commando-type people who can stay in the park all day if need be. I'd like to stay at POFQ again but if I save hundreds of dollars at a DS hotel... it's stupid to blow that kind of cash on a place where I sleep and shower.

So here's to learning more about using my AM in 2019!

I've decided to adopt a new earning strategy. I used to give myself a weekly amount of AM to earn to stay on track. That's not going to work as easily anymore so I'll switch to a monthly amount of AM to collect.

New startegy, maximize grocery earning during the Blue Fridays and do smaller shops the rest of the month. picking up AM items if the price is right. Rexall when I can earn 2 or 3 times what I have to spend ( ie. spend $25 get 50AM) if not I'm not going to shop.

If Airmiles and their partners are going to change the way they award miles I can adapt and keep on earning.

Last edited:
For those heading to Blue Friday at Sobeys, reminder to check the App for your personal offers.

I’ve got a spend $90 get 25AM. I also have a buy one Lipton soup, get 5 AM. Do I get 5AM for every box I buy in the same transaction?

For those heading to Blue Friday at Sobeys, reminder to check the App for your personal offers.

I’ve got a spend $90 get 25AM. I also have a buy one Lipton soup, get 5 AM. Do I get 5AM for every box I buy in the same transaction?
No, ALL loaded offers from any of the sponsors are a once & done thing. Rexall's will stay in the Airmiles APP but if you look online you'll see they are no longer available.

I've got a spend 70, get 20, so that's good. I also seem to have a get 5AM for a box of oatmeal that is good for 7 days, and a get 4AM for a box of oatmeal that is good for 14 days. I wonder if I get 9 per box?

I'm eating paleo now but my husband is not so I will be trying to stock up on those chicken strips (they are REALLY good), pasta (hoping they will have some of the Barila ones but if not Italpasta), Classico pasta sauce, and SoFresh almond or coconut milk. All things we will actually go through and not just buying to get AM.

Is the package enough for 2 people, or is it a single serving? That is a good AM deal. And perfect for the kids who are always looking for something quick and easy to cook.
Are the ready-made pastas just the noodles?
The package is 241 gm and looking on the Barillia pasta site it says that will cook up to 2 servings. Directly from their website:

Barilla® Ready Pasta is an all natural, fully cooked pasta that's ready in the microwave in just 1 minute. Made with 3 simple ingredients - a dash of extra virgin olive oil, a pinch of sea salt and "al dente" Barilla pasta - Ready Pasta has no preservatives and is non-GMO certified. Simply heat the pouch in the microwave then add your favorite toppings for a quick and delicious dish.

Is that Foodland? I don't see it in the flyer but maybe its Sobeys only?
Yup, Sobey's deal, my very quick glance at midnight showed that Foodland's offerings are pretty slim.

So for all you here. This is one of those items that pays you to buy. Great for food bank donations or stocking up. Look at the 50am=$5 when you buy 2@$2 each = $4. Therefore they are paying us $1 each for the purchase. When you look at it this way...I hope my local one has enough for me.
I might even go in today and ask the manager to stock up enough for me to buy a couple hundred and donate to the food bank.
2019 pickle, here we come.
add that to the spend 100 get 100 and sweetens it even more.

You KNOW that as soon as I saw this deal I was picturing you pulling up the truck to load a skid up and chuckle as you wait for the miles to post :P

I wonder if there will be a purchase limit on the pasta like there was in some stores on the oatmeal last time.
I have a feeling that if they don't when the day starts they will once someone does the math and they run out by 9 am!! I'm not even going to bother trying for this since we haven't got a hope of making it to the closest Sobey's before 7 pm. Now if Urban Fresh had it I will be in Toronto by 7:30 and the one store is open at 7 am :P

So did anybody get the special Shell offer sent to them in the mail? I am now a ShellGO+ member and when I opt in I can save 0.3 cents per litre from Jan 26-Mar 3. Guess it pays to walk to the Shell to buy my lottery tickets every week and make my family buy their gas at Shell.

Yes, I did as well.

Plus they stack with the Sobeys gas discounts that you get with your receipt.

Good to know. Thanks!

I wish mine was low. Mine wants me to spend $190 in one transaction! I rarely spend more than $100 so I don't know why it's been upped so high for months now.

So did anybody get the special Shell offer sent to them in the mail? I am now a ShellGO+ member and when I opt in I can save 0.3 cents per litre from Jan 26-Mar 3. Guess it pays to walk to the Shell to buy my lottery tickets every week and make my family buy their gas at Shell.

I too received this and was excited about saving the 3 cents per litre until I read it is only good on the weekends - which is when my local Shell raises their prices...

So for all you here. This is one of those items that pays you to buy. Great for food bank donations or stocking up. Look at the 50am=$5 when you buy 2@$2 each = $4. Therefore they are paying us $1 each for the purchase. When you look at it this way...I hope my local one has enough for me.
I might even go in today and ask the manager to stock up enough for me to buy a couple hundred and donate to the food bank.
2019 pickle, here we come.
add that to the spend 100 get 100 and sweetens it even more.

You KNOW that as soon as I saw this deal I was picturing you pulling up the truck to load a skid up and chuckle as you wait for the miles to post :P
I have a feeling that if they don't when the day starts they will once someone does the math and they run out by 9 am!! I'm not even going to bother trying for this since we haven't got a hope of making it to the closest Sobey's before 7 pm. Now if Urban Fresh had it I will be in Toronto by 7:30 and the one store is open at 7 am :P

I read your post Mort and came up with comparison explanation (using our Universal trip) for my husband:
Blue Man Group Tier 1 tickets are $80 US (round to closest dollar)
Air Miles offers Tier 1/2 tickets for 750 air miles
$60 of pasta ($2 x 30 packages) gets 750 air miles (15 x 50 air miles)
Spending $60 CAD on pasta gets 1 Blue Man Group ticket from Air Miles versus $80 US / $108 CAN on Visa.
Saves $48 CAD on a ticket and food bank gets donation of pasta

Now I already have enough miles for 4 universals tickets and 4 blue man group tickets. I'm still tempted but need to reign myself in. (wry grin) Too many expenses this year with changing the fuse panel to a breaker system (quoted $3,100 by the way); daughter's braces and now last night my husband's work on his teeth needed. Ugh..

I was trying to figure out why so many of you were incorrect about the bonus points for spending $100 on Blue Friday... when I realized it's different bonus miles for different locations. Here in the Atlantic flyer, we will get only 50 miles. Sigh. Oh well, it's better than nothing/a kick in the teeth?

I was trying to figure out why so many of you were incorrect about the bonus points for spending $100 on Blue Friday... when I realized it's different bonus miles for different locations. Here in the Atlantic flyer, we will get only 50 miles. Sigh. Oh well, it's better than nothing/a kick in the teeth?
yeah, I haven't gotten around to posting all the links yet, sorry. Seems that life is getting in the way of my AM hunting today, how dare it!

So little update for the pasta deal this friday. Just got back from talking with the manager at my Sobeys. 2min walk so not out of my way, just wish the pricing was better for everyday things.
He knew about the promo, but had not thought about ordering in more product for it. So I told him I was looking at, at least 100 if not 200 of them. He grabbed his scanner, entered the numbers and said they should be here thur night, and that he will set them aside untill friday when I am off work. Told him that they are going to the food bank, so that helped. He then went and put in an order for the store as well thinking they might get a run on them.
If your not far from a store, talk to the manager and make sure they will have enough if you plan on getting more than a couple, they will run out of these.
Good luck all.

So little update for the pasta deal this friday. Just got back from talking with the manager at my Sobeys. 2min walk so not out of my way, just wish the pricing was better for everyday things.
He knew about the promo, but had not thought about ordering in more product for it. So I told him I was looking at, at least 100 if not 200 of them. He grabbed his scanner, entered the numbers and said they should be here thur night, and that he will set them aside untill friday when I am off work. Told him that they are going to the food bank, so that helped. He then went and put in an order for the store as well thinking they might get a run on them.
If your not far from a store, talk to the manager and make sure they will have enough if you plan on getting more than a couple, they will run out of these.
Good luck all.

I just spoke with the grocery manager at our local Sobey's (closest to our office, and we're in almost every day). He said that there's going to be a correction in the paper - the Barilla should be 2 for $5, not $4. He also said that the warehouse here (Calgary) is already warning the stores that they won't have enough and will be back ordering. I explained that I wanted to buy it for the food bank, and asked him to try to get 12 cases (72pkg) for me for Friday. He ordered it when I was there, and will call and let me know what shows up.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter