Airmiles Armchair Chatter

Alright, I am SUPER new to collecting air miles.. I live in Manitoba. I've had a card for 9 years but so far I only have 41 miles ! Would love the help of you experts! We leave for our trip February 10, 2019. 3 adults, childc 1 infant. My goal is to have enough points to redeem at least ONE adult ticket. If I can get more sweet. But even one would save me a good chunk of change. I plan on living the airmiles or die life and only shopping where I can collect points. Even if it means driving 15 minutes to rexall instead of walking 3 minutes to shoppers.

Also note, I really would like to avoid opening another credit card. My husband has 2 already open and after making really poor choices, I'm currently trying to rebuild my credit. We're planning to buy a house in 6 years so I want to avoid that route and just grind through The collector card.

Do any places earn miles on gift cards? I'm trying to find the best way to take advantage of the megamiles event.

Thanks everyone!

Just received an e-mail from Airmiles advertising 50 AM if we do 2 purchases thru airmilesshops.ca between March 8-April 12 (part of MegaMiles) from two different merchants. Below are the conditions (in French):

1Offre de 50 milles en prime (valable pendant toute la campagne, du 8 mars au 12 avril 2018) Offre valable du 8 mars au 12 avril 2018. Obtenez 50 milles AIR MILESmd en prime en effectuant au moins 2 achats admissibles de 20 $ CA ou plus (à l’exclusion des frais de livraison, droits de douanes et taxes) à airmilesshops.ca chez 2 détaillants en ligne participants ou plus. Limite d’une offre de prime par numéro d’adhérent. Pour profiter de l’offre, l’adhérent doit d’abord ouvrir une session à airmilesshops.ca avant de faire ses achats. L’offre ne peut être combinée à d’autres offres de milles en prime. L’offre s’applique à l’achat de cartes-cadeaux uniquement chez les détaillants en ligne qui octroient normalement des milles sur les achats de cartes-cadeaux. Détails à airmilesshops.ca. Pour les détaillants en ligne de voyage (y compris les réservations de voyage, les locations de voitures et les séjours hôteliers), les réservations doivent être effectuées d’ici le 12 avril 2018 pour un séjour d’ici le 30 juin 2018. Les milles en prime seront déposés dans votre compte d’adhérent dans les 75 jours suivant la période promotionnelle.

Alright, I am SUPER new to collecting air miles.. I live in Manitoba. I've had a card for 9 years but so far I only have 41 miles ! Would love the help of you experts! We leave for our trip February 10, 2019. 3 adults, childc 1 infant. My goal is to have enough points to redeem at least ONE adult ticket. If I can get more sweet. But even one would save me a good chunk of change. I plan on living the airmiles or die life and only shopping where I can collect points. Even if it means driving 15 minutes to rexall instead of walking 3 minutes to shoppers.

Also note, I really would like to avoid opening another credit card. My husband has 2 already open and after making really poor choices, I'm currently trying to rebuild my credit. We're planning to buy a house in 6 years so I want to avoid that route and just grind through The collector card.

Do any places earn miles on gift cards? I'm trying to find the best way to take advantage of the megamiles event.

Thanks everyone!
HI and :welcome: to the hunt!!! You've found the best community to help you with your goals, we all love to help each other maximize our hauls and you should find some great tips here.

You've hit the mark with your comments about needing to change your shopping habits, but you don't need to go so whole hog at it because you don't want to fall down the rabbit hole of buying things strictly because they have Airmiles. I never (ok very very VERY rarely) buy something i don't need strictly due to the miles (there might have been a few too many ice cream treats bought last summer :rolleyes1) I have only adjusted my spending habits and stock up on non-perishables when they are on sale (come on toilet paper, we're down to 2 packages under the bed!) You don't need to change/add credit cards to the mix but we do find that does help with the double/triple dipping -- but not enough to change your cards (last month Mastercard netted us a measly 3 and AMEX 136 -- not a real make or break amount)

You can't earn miles on gift cards UNLESS there are special offers that are clearly mentioned in flyers and shared quickly here. The upcoming Mega Miles has 2 coupons that are related to those as well that are an easy addition. Be sure to pop over to the thread that is dedicated to MM -- I'll do my best to keep it up-to-date so that the information is easy to find without wading thru the weekly thread.

If you need any more help please speak up and let us help make that trip happen!

Just received an e-mail from Airmiles advertising 50 AM if we do 2 purchases thru airmilesshops.ca between March 8-April 12 (part of MegaMiles) from two different merchants. Below are the conditions (in French):

1Offre de 50 milles en prime (valable pendant toute la campagne, du 8 mars au 12 avril 2018) Offre valable du 8 mars au 12 avril 2018. Obtenez 50 milles AIR MILESmd en prime en effectuant au moins 2 achats admissibles de 20 $ CA ou plus (à l’exclusion des frais de livraison, droits de douanes et taxes) à airmilesshops.ca chez 2 détaillants en ligne participants ou plus. Limite d’une offre de prime par numéro d’adhérent. Pour profiter de l’offre, l’adhérent doit d’abord ouvrir une session à airmilesshops.ca avant de faire ses achats. L’offre ne peut être combinée à d’autres offres de milles en prime. L’offre s’applique à l’achat de cartes-cadeaux uniquement chez les détaillants en ligne qui octroient normalement des milles sur les achats de cartes-cadeaux. Détails à airmilesshops.ca. Pour les détaillants en ligne de voyage (y compris les réservations de voyage, les locations de voitures et les séjours hôteliers), les réservations doivent être effectuées d’ici le 12 avril 2018 pour un séjour d’ici le 30 juin 2018. Les milles en prime seront déposés dans votre compte d’adhérent dans les 75 jours suivant la période promotionnelle.
And thru the magic of Google Translate for the anglophones in the crowd

1Offer bonus of 50 miles (valid throughout the campaign, March 8 - April 12, 2018) Offer valid March 8 - April 12, 2018. Receive 50 bonus AIR MILES® Miles by making at least 2 eligible purchases of C $ 20 or more plus (excluding shipping, duty and taxes) at airmilesshops.ca at 2 or more participating online retailers. Limit of a bonus offer per membership number. To take advantage of the offer, the member must first login to airmilesshops.ca before making purchases. The offer can not be combined with other bonus mile offers. The offer applies to the purchase of gift cards only at online retailers who normally grant miles on gift card purchases. Details at airmilesshops.ca. For online travel retailers (including travel bookings, car rentals and hotel stays), reservations must be made by April 12, 2018 for a stay by June 30, 2018. Miles as a bonus will be deposited into your member account within 75 days of the promotional period.

Sorry I'm at work and didn't have time to translate and I never thought of doing a Google translate! :teacher:

Sorry I'm at work and didn't have time to translate and I never thought of doing a Google translate! :teacher:
no need to apologize (letting that CDN shine clearly!) -- i was actually surprised that it did a reasonable job, i expected to need to do more work!!

I have been away from the boards for a few weeks. Sick the last two with a never ending headache. :(

Just wanted to let anyone in Clarington area know the Foodland in Newcastle has the Mega Miles coupon booklet. They don't have the booklets out on the counters yet but gave me 4 booklets when I nicely asked if I could please have a couple.

1Offer bonus of 50 miles (valid throughout the campaign, March 8 - April 12, 2018) Offer valid March 8 - April 12, 2018. Receive 50 bonus AIR MILES® Miles by making at least 2 eligible purchases of C $ 20 or more plus (excluding shipping, duty and taxes) at airmilesshops.ca at 2 or more participating online retailers. Limit of a bonus offer per membership number. To take advantage of the offer, the member must first login to airmilesshops.ca before making purchases. The offer can not be combined with other bonus mile offers. The offer applies to the purchase of gift cards only at online retailers who normally grant miles on gift card purchases. Details at airmilesshops.ca. For online travel retailers (including travel bookings, car rentals and hotel stays), reservations must be made by April 12, 2018 for a stay by June 30, 2018. Miles as a bonus will be deposited into your member account within 75 days of the promotional period.

Can I ask, for megamiles deals like this one will it count automatically or do I need to use a coupon code or something? Thanks!

Can I ask, for megamiles deals like this one will it count automatically or do I need to use a coupon code or something? Thanks!
You should just be able to click thru the airmilesshop link and they will automatically happen. Check out the first post in this thread for information regarding online shopping and be careful with the terms & conditions with Amazon specifically!! You will need to keep detailed records for these transactions since a lot of us often find these get lost in the shuffle of the big promos. You will need the following:
  • date of transaction
  • pre-tax & shipping total
  • name of store
  • if there are any multipliers that apply when you made the purchase -- currently there are several stores with those
poke around the website if you haven't before so you know which stores are there. I noticed you have young children and there is a coupon for Children's Place AND you can order online from there as well letting you kill 2 birds with one stone :D

Alright, I am SUPER new to collecting air miles..

:welcome: With the lovely help from everyone here in this room...I was/ am an onyx collector. I was able to collect over 8000 points and that was mostly through Safeway. I don't have a Rexall close to me unless I go to the next town which is a 45 minute drive away. So needless to say, I don't do that often. I also don't have a credit card that collect AM either. So it is doable for you to save for at least one ticket to Disney. An I also don't purchase items, just because they have airmiles attached to them.

Do any places earn miles on gift cards?

If you watch at safeway/sobey's they do have airmile specials with certain gift cards. I recently scored 255 airmiles from giftcards that I purchased for birthday gifts ( and one 25.00 one for me for a special " me " purchase :rolleyes1 ) It all adds up.

:furious: OMG....my 220,000 PC Optimum points have been redeemed by someone and that someone was not me. It was made on a click and collect purchase on a day that I was home all day.

I save my points all year long because usually around this time I am off work for a few weeks without pay. I pay for all our groceries so having them covered with points doesn't disrupt anything else....savings, vacay fund etc.

:furious: OMG....my 220,000 PC Optimum points have been redeemed by someone and that someone was not me. It was made on a click and collect purchase on a day that I was home all day.

I save my points all year long because usually around this time I am off work for a few weeks without pay. I pay for all our groceries so having them covered with points doesn't disrupt anything else....savings, vacay fund etc.
OH the Duck would be LIVID! I would be on the phone pronto and whoever had the misfortune of answering my call would not have a happy day! This calls for your level best to be civil enough to get the service you need so you get those points back where they belong!!!!

OH the Duck would be LIVID! I would be on the phone pronto and whoever had the misfortune of answering my call would not have a happy day! This calls for your level best to be civil enough to get the service you need so you get those points back where they belong!!!!
I hate having to make phone calls for that type of stuff so I did the 'contact us' option on the website. I included a pretty harsh message in the message box. I explained that I need those points to pay for my groceries while I'm off work. It's been a particularly bad year so far with regard to time off work. At this point it's been 7 weeks since Christmas plus my vacation week.

I would be speaking with the manager of that store...and if that didn't work...i would go above that person to the district manager!!!! It is a fear of mine to have that happen to me! We work their stupid programs to best of our ability to get that perk.

Quick question that popped into my head...Did your points successfully transfer over to the new Pc optimum program. I have had a couple of people come through my till at no frills that have had trouble with their points not converting over properly.

I'm crossing all my fingers and toes you get your points back somehow...some way

Just made a purchase online about a week ago before the announcement. I knew somehow things like this would happen to me!
E4E8C07B-715B-4F82-8622-9B573E67AC9C.gif

Oh noooooo. I’m so sorry !!! I freaking hate thieves :mad:. I hope customer service helps you get them back quickly.

I hate having to make phone calls for that type of stuff so I did the 'contact us' option on the website. I included a pretty harsh message in the message box. I explained that I need those points to pay for my groceries while I'm off work. It's been a particularly bad year so far with regard to time off work. At this point it's been 7 weeks since Christmas plus my vacation week.
If you feel that you are getting nowhere and need to escalate, use their Twitter and Facebook pages and they will fall all over themselves to fix it. Sadly most companies these days don’t mind giving poor service but they do mind looking bad.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter