Airport Proximity to DLR and Ground Transportation Information Superthread (READ FIRST POST FOR OVERVIEW!)

Well the day we arrive we aren't trying to make it to a park that day so time isn't too much of a problem but will it take us directly to our hotel or do we have to transfer at some point?
It is not the transfer issue. To my knowledge you don't. But these issues come up with shuttles.

o Wait for a shuttle to come
o They may have multiple pickup points at different terminals at a large place like LAX
o They will typically have multiple drop points at different hotels. If you are first, lucky for you. If not, then it will take longer.

All in all it could turn a 30 minute trip into a 3 hour trip. If you have nothing scheduled and don't mind, then save a few dollars.

If the idea of getting to your hotel and relaxing, napping, or swimming, or maybe having some more time in DTD for a nice dinner is appealing to you, it may be worth it to pay a few more dollars to save yourself a couple hours.

Same thing on the return trip to the airport. Yes, you may save $20 but have to wake up at 4AM instead of maybe 6AM. What is your time and sleep worth to you? How does it affect your day?

Just balancing things out. Every person will value these things differently. But as the number of people in your group increases from 2 to 4 or 5, the taxi or town car option single price becomes increasingly cost effective vs. the cost per person for shuttles.

:wizard:

It is not the transfer issue. To my knowledge you don't. But these issues come up with shuttles.

o Wait for a shuttle to come
o They may have multiple pickup points at different terminals at a large place like LAX
o They will typically have multiple drop points at different hotels. If you are first, lucky for you. If not, then it will take longer.

All in all it could turn a 30 minute trip into a 3 hour trip. If you have nothing scheduled and don't mind, then save a few dollars.

If the idea of getting to your hotel and relaxing, napping, or swimming, or maybe having some more time in DTD for a nice dinner is appealing to you, it may be worth it to pay a few more dollars to save yourself a couple hours.

Same thing on the return trip to the airport. Yes, you may save $20 but have to wake up at 4AM instead of maybe 6AM. What is your time and sleep worth to you? How does it affect your day?

Just balancing things out. Every person will value these things differently. But as the number of people in your group increases from 2 to 4 or 5, the taxi or town car option single price becomes increasingly cost effective vs. the cost per person for shuttles.

Would you recommend the SuperShuttle over the DL Express then? Or may the same problems possibly arrise?

Would you recommend the SuperShuttle over the DL Express then? Or may the same problems possibly arrise?
All I have used for DLR is Karmel. Twice. I have used SuperShuttle at other airports and I suspect LAX will be the same. AFAIK, DL Express is just another version of SuperShuttle.

Usually I drive to SoCal - like this time for my trip next week - so it is a non-issue. When I have flown I usually have some or my kids with me and usually some place to go - like a dining res. So we usually do a taxi or town car - and the price is not that different from shuttles since we share a taxi.

And whenever possible I fly into SNA and not LAX because LAX feels dirty. Sometimes I fly into ONT which is better than LAX too IMO.

All in all I can't really comment specifically on the experience at DLR between shuttles. Others might be able to do that better.

Hope that helps!

Absolutely the same situation (I don't want to call it a problem) could arise. You have a large-ish vehicle that picks up a variety of people going a variety of places.

If you look at a map of LAX you see there are many Terminals. The Disneyland Resort Express bus picks up at 1, stops at 2, then 3, then 4, etc. You KNOW it's going to do that. Then it'll get on the highway, and when it gets to Anaheim in MY experience it goes to DLH first. They will tell each group if they need to transfer to a different bus or not, depending on where people are going. This is what I have experienced personally, but some others haven't had that DLH stop.

Whenever we've taken the Express bus, we come at a time when there's only 1 pickup per hour (by that I mean they come by LAX on the hour...they still pick up at each terminal). And inevitably we are landing just as the hour has gone by, so we have almost an hour to wait. LAX is pretty simple for the traveler, as the terminals are done in pods (it's not all spread out on the inside, like SNA is, where you can walk the length of the place indoors), but that means there's not a lot to do to amuse yourself for 45 minutes indoors. So we just walk slowly. And we often will walk up to Terminal 1, so that we are first on the bus. Of course, that means we get to see all the terminals we just passed by. :)

With Super Shuttle, you can get the same multiple stop situation. But...big but, it's a much smaller vehicle. But...they aren't as scheduled when picking up at the airport; it was only me and DS once on the SS at Ontario airport once, and we waited what felt like ages (hot day and I had dressed for the cool day we were leaving behind in Seattle), then just as I thought we were hitting the road, the driver looped back around to troll for other passengers. UGH.

Going home, with Express or SS (or any of the agencies) you want to follow THEIR timing. You never know what they have scheduled. I was once picked up by SS at HoJo (first in the van) and then spent the next hour going up and down Harbor and Katella, picking up the rest of the people they had to pick up. It was all scheduled ahead of time. And then, painfully, their LAST stop was at HoJo again, and then we got on the highway. But then, I'd had my choice of seats, and that last person or two on at HoJo did not.

All that said, I like Karmel the best from my own personal experience. They state clearly that they don't troll (my word) for other passengers at the airport; they pick up the scheduled passengers and that's it. And they are perfectly content to take just one passengers to the airport, like what happened with me on a trip with a couple Dis'ers. (hi S&L!)

Hmmm okay, I'm really concerned now about both of these options. I guess I'll figure something out.

Just playing with options for our '3 way trip' in 3 weeks time. We are going LAX - Loews Hollywood- Candy Cane- LAX

Got a price from Supershuttle which was fine between hotel and airport but between the two hotels was much more expensive than I thought it would be - $180:sad2:

I understand that their business is to ferry people to and from the airport on a 'shared ride' basis as we have used them before, but wondering if we are going to be charged this anyway ($180 plus the two airport journeys), we might as well stick with one company that can do the 3 way trip - as we have used towncar services in Orlando multiple times and done a few 3 way trips (staying at WDW and then Universal hotels).

Just want something like this really - have just emailed DW Livery for a price.
Any others? Don't need a massive vehicle as there are just the three of us but we are bringing a lot of luggage for 3 weeks stay:banana:

Also last question - do we pay in advance online or do we just pay the driver? Hope its the latter - in 2010, we had issues with the flight from London and it had to turn back (technical reasons!) and we were holed up in a Heathrow hotel overnight - had a few issues ringing Primetime (I think it was) to rearrange pick up - just getting through (phone cost a fortune from that hotel as well - but that's another story - BA never reimbursed us!)

We were very pleased with DK Livery. If the price were right, I would use them. I don't know about the others.

Midnightred

Just playing with options for our '3 way trip' in 3 weeks time. We are going LAX - Loews Hollywood- Candy Cane- LAX

Got a price from Supershuttle which was fine between hotel and airport but between the two hotels was much more expensive than I thought it would be - $180:sad2:

I understand that their business is to ferry people to and from the airport on a 'shared ride' basis as we have used them before, but wondering if we are going to be charged this anyway ($180 plus the two airport journeys), we might as well stick with one company that can do the 3 way trip - as we have used towncar services in Orlando multiple times and done a few 3 way trips (staying at WDW and then Universal hotels).

Just want something like this really - have just emailed DW Livery for a price.
Any others? Don't need a massive vehicle as there are just the three of us but we are bringing a lot of luggage for 3 weeks stay:banana:

Also last question - do we pay in advance online or do we just pay the driver? Hope its the latter - in 2010, we had issues with the flight from London and it had to turn back (technical reasons!) and we were holed up in a Heathrow hotel overnight - had a few issues ringing Primetime (I think it was) to rearrange pick up - just getting through (phone cost a fortune from that hotel as well - but that's another story - BA never reimbursed us!)

I am not an expert on this but if I understand right they want to charge $180 just for the Loews to CCI part? If so I would guess a taxi or town car may be more cost effective.

When I went from CCI to SNA a few weeks ago after the D23 Expo, I asked CCI for a town car recommendation and they gave me Hugo's Transportation number and called them for me. It was $40 to SNA, FWIW. I gave the driver a $5 tip so call it $45. Hugo's contact info is (714) 728-0752, (714) 715-4907. No website link was on their card.

I am not an expert on this but if I understand right they want to charge $180 just for the Loews to CCI part? If so I would guess a taxi or town car may be more cost effective.

When I went from CCI to SNA a few weeks ago after the D23 Expo, I asked CCI for a town car recommendation and they gave me Hugo's Transportation number and called them for me. It was $40 to SNA, FWIW. I gave the driver a $5 tip so call it $45. Hugo's contact info is (714) 728-0752, (714) 715-4907. No website link was on their card.

You are right the $180 was just for Loews to CCI. Just had a quote from DW Livery - the whole 3 way journey with them will be $267 with the Loews to CCI portion only $90hal;f the price of Supershuttle - don't understand it but I'll take it. I might try out your guy, Hydroguy though.

Read this all the way through and was wondering if anyone had taxi'd recently from SNA to PPH? I'm wondering what the procedure is~ do I just ask if they offer a flat rate? Where are the taxi stands at SNA? Or should I order a town car? seems almost the same price as a taxi? I don't want to shuttle- I'd rather pay more and know I'm getting directly there. Too impatient to wait. TIA~ :confused3

Read this all the way through and was wondering if anyone had taxi'd recently from SNA to PPH? I'm wondering what the procedure is~ do I just ask if they offer a flat rate? Where are the taxi stands at SNA? Or should I order a town car? seems almost the same price as a taxi? I don't want to shuttle- I'd rather pay more and know I'm getting directly there. Too impatient to wait. TIA~ :confused3
I have a done taxi from SNA to DLR a couple times. Once to GCH (not PPH but close by). There is a taxi line at SNA and you can't miss it. It is right when you walk out the terminal.

You can order a town car. It will be nicer, a little cheaper, and possibly harder to find where they are. Not sure it is worth it to save $5-10 for a 20 minute drive.

I have a done taxi from SNA to DLR a couple times. Once to GCH (not PPH but close by). There is a taxi line at SNA and you can't miss it. It is right when you walk out the terminal.

You can order a town car. It will be nicer, a little cheaper, and possibly harder to find where they are. Not sure it is worth it to save $5-10 for a 20 minute drive.

I don't want hard to find! I want Easy Peasy! It will be me and a 5 yr old after an 8 hour travel morning. :eek: Can I ask the taxi if they offer a flat rate? it's $40-50ish?

I don't want hard to find! I want Easy Peasy! It will be me and a 5 yr old after an 8 hour travel morning. :eek: Can I ask the taxi if they offer a flat rate? it's $40-50ish?

Sorry, I do not know about flat rates. You can always ask for anything you want I guess. I just jump in the taxi and take it. It has been about $45 both times. Plus a $5 tip. It is fast and direct. One time I was with my crew and we stopped by a 7-11 for a quick 5 minute stop to store up on snacks.

I've been looking at options for my family traveling next month. We will have 11 total. I have one that will be in a car seat and 1 in a booster seat. We will be traveling on the airplane with their seats so we don't necessarily need a company that provides them.

Would like to get our whole group to travel together from airport to our hotel, Embassy Suites South. Thanks for any suggestions you may have. :)

I've been looking at options for my family traveling next month. We will have 11 total. I have one that will be in a car seat and 1 in a booster seat. We will be traveling on the airplane with their seats so we don't necessarily need a company that provides them.

Would like to get our whole group to travel together from airport to our hotel, Embassy Suites South. Thanks for any suggestions you may have. :)

I believe Karmel has large shuttles you can hire for this. I have used them twice but for groups of 5 or less.

http://www.karmel.com/

[/QUOTE]we used super shuttle from SNA to the Howard Johnson on harbor . it was $10 per person one way. so $40 for hubby and me total (plus tip).
a made the arrangments ahead of time. we waited about 15 minutes at the airport. on the way back, they were there about 5 minutes early and waited for us.
it is a shared ride, but it was great

I did contact Karmel and they quoted me $242 RT, that doesn't include gratuity. Does that seem fair?

For 11 people, right? If it is for a dedicated shuttle and not a shared shuttle that seems like a really good price to me. Like $22 per person.

For 11 people, right? If it is for a dedicated shuttle and not a shared shuttle that seems like a really good price to me. Like $22 per person.

How much would you usually give for gratuity?

I got a quote from DK Livery Service and for our group they said would be $160 one way or $310 RT. This is a flat rate they are giving me, so no hidden cost. They also make a stop at the grocery store on the way to the hotel.

Wondering out of the 2 what would be best.

How much would you usually give for gratuity?

I got a quote from DK Livery Service and for our group they said would be $160 one way or $310 RT. This is a flat rate they are giving me, so no hidden cost. They also make a stop at the grocery store on the way to the hotel.

Wondering out of the 2 what would be best.

I generally give drivers 10% gratuity if they are dedicated to me and not a shared shuttle.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter