Airport Proximity to DLR and Ground Transportation Information Superthread (READ FIRST POST FOR OVERVIEW!)

Haven’t taken it. We travel end of this month.

Oh ok, thanks! I was just looking at the original date, thought it was from last year.

We used ExecuCar back in June, though we booked direct and not through Supershuttle. It was an okay experience. We were to be met in the baggage claim area; however, the driver was running late. In fact, I had to call their dispatcher. To their credit, I got through immediately, and the dispatcher was able to quickly locate the driver who had hit some traffic but was within 10 minutes of being there. He did come into the building to help us haul our luggage to his car. However, since he couldn't leave his car parked curbside, we had to walk to the parking garage. So, our initial engagement with them wasn't very good. Still, the car was plenty big enough for three people and our luggage, and it was well-maintained. The driver was neat in appearance but not terribly talkative which was fine. For our return trip on a Sunday morning, we decided to head back to the airport earlier than we had originally reserved for, so again I called the dispatcher and was pleased to immediately get them again. Changing was no issue at all. Our driver actually arrived half an hour early and texted us, asking where we were which we thought was unprofessional. He was a friendly enough sort but looked disheveled, sort of like he had just rolled out of bed (it was 10 a.m.). Trip to airport was uneventful, and we were dropped off just where we needed to be. Overall, we'd likely use them again, though we'd likely opt for curbside service instead of meeting inside at baggage claim.

Wow so it sounds like a mixed review. I'm still needing to book something, I'm leaning towards UBER or LYFT but I've heard they changed their policy, and we could end up going to the top of the garage, which I'm not sure how that works? I've never done that before, always gotten picked up right outside in the past with Supershuttle, Disney Resort Express bus, etc. but it's been a while.

Oh ok, thanks! I was just looking at the original date, thought it was from last year.

Wow so it sounds like a mixed review. I'm still needing to book something, I'm leaning towards UBER or LYFT but I've heard they changed their policy, and we could end up going to the top of the garage, which I'm not sure how that works? I've never done that before, always gotten picked up right outside in the past with Supershuttle, Disney Resort Express bus, etc. but it's been a while.
Definitely a mixed review, though in the end, they were responsive and delivered as promised minus the little hiccup at pickup.

Any words of wisdom for a single women arriving at LAX at 9:00pm and heading to Grand Californian
Use Uber and Lyft often back east...
Have never been looking for a ride as late as 9:00pm from the airport before...any issues?
Thxx

9 pm isn't that late at LAX. The waiting area is lit. Use the same big city skills you'd use anywhere else. Just be sure to match your driver and car to the info given. You'll be fine!

Thank you for the great info on the OP and for all of the reviews/recommendations. As I'm traveling solo and just need a one way to DLR, and rather than highjack one of my old SoCal friends to pick me up at LAX and "limo" me to DLR (burn), I think I will just go with the DRE. It will be the most cost affective. The time it takes might not be the best, but I am only planning to explore the resorts and Downtown Disney my first day. Since I'm going to miss rope drop anyway, it's not worth waisting one of my precious 5 days of park tickets, right? :squirrel:

... Since I'm going to miss rope drop anyway, it's not worth waisting one of my precious 5 days of park tickets, right? :squirrel:
Not necessarily. The answer to this depends on what time you'll arrive at your hotel and the park gates. As a solo traveler, you'll have so much more flexibility than other groups. Keep checking the app for park hours on your arrival date -- if the hours are late (and in Dec., they should be) and you'll have even a handful of hours in one or both parks, with MP and SR and some good organization, you could be very strategically effective with your first day's time. Maybe you could do a dining package for a show and knock that off your list. Maybe you could try to do some SR lines and see if you could grab some cancelled FPs via MP. (And keep checking the app for FP availability before you get to the gates -- if there are still FPs available, grab one as soon as you activate your ticket!) Maybe just do a fun TS meal and wander the parks for photos, ambiance, entertainment, shopping, and general magic. There are so many things you could do!

Not necessarily. The answer to this depends on what time you'll arrive at your hotel and the park gates. As a solo traveler, you'll have so much more flexibility than other groups. Keep checking the app for park hours on your arrival date -- if the hours are late (and in Dec., they should be) and you'll have even a handful of hours in one or both parks, with MP and SR and some good organization, you could be very strategically effective with your first day's time. Maybe you could do a dining package for a show and knock that off your list. Maybe you could try to do some SR lines and see if you could grab some cancelled FPs via MP. (And keep checking the app for FP availability before you get to the gates -- if there are still FPs available, grab one as soon as you activate your ticket!) Maybe just do a fun TS meal and wander the parks for photos, ambiance, entertainment, shopping, and general magic. There are so many things you could do!

No doubt! My flight arrives at 10:00 AM, but I'll be two hours ahead (Chicago-time) and I'll have gotten little sleep (my norm for Disney trips). By the time I get to DLR and checked in, it will be the afternoon already. I do want to explore the resorts and DTD and I've got 5 other full days to play with. My check-out day can actually be a full park day as a friend of mine will be joining me and then we will head to her place at the end of the day. I'm not leaving California for another week or so.

What would be more helpful for me is to have a better understanding about initial park checkin procedures. The whole security photo thing specifically. I don't want to be held up at the gate any longer than necessary. Is that something I can take care of on my first non-park day, so that I don't have to mess with it and miss rope drop the next day? Thx.

Last edited:
... What would be more helpful for me is to have a better understanding about initial park checkin procedures. The whole security photo thing specifically. I don't want to be held up at the gate any longer than necessary. Is that something I can take care of on my first non-park day, so that I don't have to mess with it and miss rope drop the next day? Thx.
Having your photo taken at the gate has to be done when you first activate your ticket. It only takes about 30 seconds -- the CM uses a handheld device. Do you have an e-ticket on your phone or a printout with a bar code? If so, you'll take that directly to the turnstile, and the CM will scan the bar code and hand you a paper ticket (about the size of a credit card, printed on thick card stock). The CM will take your photo to attach to your ticket and send you on your way. Done and done!

Having your photo taken at the gate has to be done when you first activate your ticket. It only takes about 30 seconds -- the CM uses a handheld device. Do you have an e-ticket on your phone or a printout with a bar code? If so, you'll take that directly to the turnstile, and the CM will scan the bar code and hand you a paper ticket (about the size of a credit card, printed on thick card stock). The CM will take your photo to attach to your ticket and send you on your way. Done and done!

I don't have anything other than an online reservation for PPH with a 5-day park pass. I won't have anything in hand until I check in to the resort I guess. Thanks for clarifying though. I was just hoping I'd be able to get the photo taken at Guest Relations after I do check in since I won't be going to the parks until the following day.

I don't have anything other than an online reservation for PPH with a 5-day park pass. I won't have anything in hand until I check in to the resort I guess...
This should make your trip through the gates even faster on your first morning. At check in at the PPH, you should receive your actual park ticket, so all you'll need to do is go through the gate the next morning to activate and have your photo taken. Should take a few seconds once you get to the turnstile. Very easy!

This should make your trip through the gates even faster on your first morning. At check in at the PPH, you should receive your actual park ticket, so all you'll need to do is go through the gate the next morning to activate and have your photo taken. Should take a few seconds once you get to the turnstile. Very easy!

That works! Thanks!! :thumbsup2

Sorry if this has been discussed, but has anyone ever had trouble with having an Uber or Lyft driver not accepting their ride when going between LA and Disneyland? We've had a few experiences in other cities where our ride took forever to get accepted or it was accepted and then subsequently cancelled by the driver. Its my understanding the driver sees the approximate cost or distance, not the actual location you're going to, but I'm sure Uber drivers in the DL area know what the approximate fare to LA is and can guess its that when a ride request comes through.

I ask because we will be going from LAX to DL around 5pm on a Monday, which I know is prime rush hour time. On the way back, we'll be going from DL to Loews Hollywood Hotel probably around 2pm on a Friday. Just wondering if Uber is reliable enough or if I should arrange a shuttle for either leg.

Thanks!

Thank you for letting me know! I’ve updated the website link to the Disneyland Resort Express in the first post. The new link is: https://dre.coachusa.com/.
....I used your link to check out pricing/times....we fly into LAX at 10:40AM. Obviously there is no way we can make the 10:45AM DLE bus [Alaskaair - Terminal 3] so that means we have to hang out until 11:45, with the scheduled arrival time at DLH around 12:45. We only have THAT check-in day and the next day [full day] to explore both parks, since we leave for Carlsbad to attend a wedding. Mind you, we are 1st-timers, so I want honest opinions on whether we should basically forego DLE and book a <<private>> car or Uber.....

....I used your link to check out pricing/times....we fly into LAX at 10:40AM. Obviously there is no way we can make the 10:45AM DLE bus [Alaskaair - Terminal 3] so that means we have to hang out until 11:45, with the scheduled arrival time at DLH around 12:45. We only have THAT check-in day and the next day [full day] to explore both parks, since we leave for Carlsbad to attend a wedding. Mind you, we are 1st-timers, so I want honest opinions on whether we should basically forego DLE and book a <<private>> car or Uber.....
Forego. I think the cost will be similar. Isn't DLE like $30 per person?

:wizard:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter