AKL (Jambo House)

flinkerfrosch

DIS Veteran
I was going to rent points at AKL in a CL Savannah View- Studio. I've been told by some that not ALL CL Savannah View rooms actually have the Savannah View!
Can anyone tell me if this has any truth to it?

Thank-you! :)

Yes, this is true for the DVC CL rooms. They cannot guarantee what room view you'll get...

Yes, this is true for the DVC CL rooms. They cannot guarantee what room view you'll get...

Thank-you!

Do you know what type of views I "could" get? Is Savannah view one of them at least? Are there bad views? I don't know whether I would rather have a Savannah View without CL or CL and take the chance on the view. We've never done CL before, so I don't know what to expect!?

There are 5 2-bdrm lockoffs on the 6th Fl of Jambo.
3 face the Sunset Savanna.
2 face the pool.
1 of the 5 is an HA room.
The savanna views are not that great. The roof over hang blocks part of the view. As PP stated you do not get a choice/option to choose which room you get.

If you really want the savanna view, don't book the concierge level. Book a Savanna view studio instead. Book concierge level if you want the access to the lounge and the services of that area.

Plus with the limited number of concierge villas, they are difficult to get. They must be booked exactly at eleven months out.

There are 5 2-bdrm lockoffs on the 6th Fl of Jambo.
3 face the Sunset Savanna.
2 face the pool.
1 of the 5 is an HA room.
The savanna views are not that great. The roof over hang blocks part of the view. As PP stated you do not get a choice/option to choose which room you get.

Thank-you!

So, I'm assuming that there are no Studio's on the 6th floor then if you only mentioned 2 bdrm's and I would be put somewhere on the 5th floor?
Am I'm assuming correctly?

Thank-you!

So, I'm assuming that there are no Studio's on the 6th floor then if you only mentioned 2 bdrm's and I would be put somewhere on the 5th floor?
Am I'm assuming correctly?

No, there are five two bedroom lockoffs. That is a combination of a studio and a one bedroom. There are no dedicated two bedroom villas at JH. If you got the concierge level studio, it would be on the sixth floor with either the obstructed savanna view or pool view. And you would not have a choice in that.

If someone books a two bedroom villa the day before you book, that reduces the number of available studios to four, not five.

If you really want the savanna view, don't book the concierge level. Book a Savanna view studio instead. Book concierge level if you want the access to the lounge and the services of that area.

Plus with the limited number of concierge villas, they are difficult to get. They must be booked exactly at eleven months out.

Savanna view is great, but its not a "must have" I am actually torn between a Studio- CL or a 1 bedroom (standard view) non-CL..
I'm looking at end of Oct next year, and I've already got someone looking into the dates for me:)
We will have the Dining plan, so I'm torn on what to pick. We've never done CL before, so I don't know what we would be missing if I didn't take it?
Could you be on the 5th floor (Studio) but then have access to CL if I booked the CL studio?

No, there are five two bedroom lockoffs. That is a combination of a studio and a one bedroom. There are no dedicated two bedroom villas at JH. If you got the concierge level studio, it would be on the sixth floor with either the obstructed savanna view or pool view. And you would not have a choice in that.

If someone books a two bedroom villa the day before you book, that reduces the number of available studios to four, not five.

Okay! I'm starting to finallly get..(I think) LOL

So, someone could book a Studio, and another person could book a 1 bedroom? I was confused by the term "lock off" and "dedicated" but I get it now!

So, if I booked a 1 bedroom Studio (non-CL) what would I expect (room wise)

Savanna view is great, but its not a "must have" I am actually torn between a Studio- CL or a 1 bedroom (standard view) non-CL..
I'm looking at end of Oct next year, and I've already got someone looking into the dates for me:)
We will have the Dining plan, so I'm torn on what to pick. We've never done CL before, so I don't know what we would be missing if I didn't take it?
Could you be on the 5th floor (Studio) but then have access to CL if I booked the CL studio?
In my opinion, the main reason to book CL is so you can book the Sunrise Safari, otherwise I would book a Savanna View room and buy my own snacks and beverages. If the choice is between a CL Studio and a Standard View 1BR, I would take the 1BR for the King bed, separate living and sleeping area, whirlpool tub, washer/dryer and the full kitchen.

All of the DVC CL rooms are on the 6th floor of Jambo House. There are five 2BR lockoffs. A lockoff is a 1BR connected to a Studio so it can be rented as a 2BR or it can be locked off and rented as a 1BR and a Studio. In other words, there are at most five CL studios but every lockoff that is rented as a 2BR takes one Studio and one 1BR out of inventory. With so few rooms available and so many AKV owners, it is very difficult to book CL rooms. The studios are the most popular and go very quickly once the booking window opens.

Only three of those five lockoffs face a savanna, the other two face the pool area and you get what you get. The view from the savanna view CL rooms is not great due to being on the 6th floor where the tree tops block a lot of the view. The rooms overlook an alcove of the Sunset Savanna and not all of the animals on the savanna wander through that area. You will see some animals but not as many overall and not as many at one time as you will see from other parts of the savanna.

We enjoy watching the animals so we book a Savanna View room in Kidani rather than Jambo House so that we are not restricted to being on the upper floors. In Kidani, we have a chance at being on a lower floor, closer to the animals. If we booked a Standard View 1BR rather than a Savanna View room, I would still prefer Kidani because the 1BRs are larger there and the bathroom has a separate shower stall. Jambo's 1BRs have a combined whirlpool tub and shower.

In my opinion, the main reason to book CL is so you can book the Sunrise Safari, otherwise I would book a Savanna View room and buy my own snacks and beverages. If the choice is between a CL Studio and a Standard View 1BR, I would take the 1BR for the King bed, separate living and sleeping area, whirlpool tub, washer/dryer and the full kitchen.

All of the DVC CL rooms are on the 6th floor of Jambo House. There are five 2BR lockoffs. A lockoff is a 1BR connected to a Studio so it can be rented as a 2BR or it can be locked off and rented as a 1BR and a Studio. In other words, there are at most five CL studios but every lockoff that is rented as a 2BR takes one Studio and one 1BR out of inventory. With so few rooms available and so many AKV owners, it is very difficult to book CL rooms. The studios are the most popular and go very quickly once the booking window opens.

Only three of those five lockoffs face a savanna, the other two face the pool area and you get what you get. The view from the savanna view CL rooms is not great due to being on the 6th floor where the tree tops block a lot of the view. The rooms overlook an alcove of the Sunset Savanna and not all of the animals on the savanna wander through that area. You will see some animals but not as many overall and not as many at one time as you will see from other parts of the savanna.

We enjoy watching the animals so we book a Savanna View room in Kidani rather than Jambo House so that we are not restricted to being on the upper floors. In Kidani, we have a chance at being on a lower floor, closer to the animals. If we booked a Standard View 1BR rather than a Savanna View room, I would still prefer Kidani because the 1BRs are larger there and the bathroom has a separate shower stall. Jambo's 1BRs have a combined whirlpool tub and shower.

Thank-you so much for that very detalied information:)

My DH really wants Jambo House, so that's why we chose to stay there. We will not be doing the Sunrise Safari as my kids are too young.

One more question- do you happen to know what a "standard view" could be if we booked a 1 bedroom at Jambo House. A king bed would be great, and so would a washer/dryer. The tub/shower thing isn't as important, but I really appreciate all your help!!

My DH really wants Jambo House, so that's why we chose to stay there. We will not be doing the Sunrise Safari as my kids are too young.

One more question- do you happen to know what a "standard view" could be if we booked a 1 bedroom at Jambo House. A king bed would be great, and so would a washer/dryer. The tub/shower thing isn't as important, but I really appreciate all your help!!

At JH, a standard view would probably be a pool view or a partially obstructed savanna view. No parking lot view. You would be on the fifth floor.

As Deb&Bill said, at Jambo House the Standard View rooms have either a pool view or partial savanna view. Kidani's Standard View rooms can face the driveway, the pool or have a partial savanna view.

Except for the Value 1BRs, the 1BRs in both buildings have a king bed in the bedroom and a queen size sleeper sofa and twin size sleeper chair in the living area. (There is no sleeper chair in the Value 1BRs.)

Jambo 1BRs have one bathroom with a combo whirlpool tub and shower. The issue people have with the combo tub/shower is that it's a very deep tub so it can be difficult for some people to step in and out over the high sides of the tub when they want to take a shower. Plus it means only one person can bathe/shower at a time.

In Kidani, the 1BRs have two bathrooms. One has a whirlpool tub and separate shower stall and a toilet in an enclosed space. The second bathroom is off the kitchen and has a toilet and a regular tub/shower combo plus a small vanity. This second bathroom is another reason why Kidani is popular with families. Another thing I like about Kidani is that the park buses stop there first, then they pick up passengers at Jambo House. It can make a difference between standing and sitting if there are a lot of guests boarding the bus at that time.

The main advantage to Jambo House is that it has more dining options, particularly if you want a hot breakfast. Jambo's lobby is also more lively and some people prefer that. Kidani's lobby is very pretty but smaller and quieter.

Kidani's only restaurant (Sanaa) is wonderful but it doesn't serve breakfast. Jambo is only a 10 minute walk door to door so we don't mind walking over to go to The Mara or Boma for breakfast. There is also a shuttle bus that goes between buildings if you don't want to walk.

If your kids are too young for the Sunrise Safari you have eliminated the main reason to book CL. The other advantage to CL is the free continental breakfast (cereal, pastry, fruit, coffee, juice) and the snacks throughout the day but if you are planning on getting the dining plan, it's not clear whether you will be hungry enough to eat anything in the lounge other than the breakfast. To take advantage of the good stuff (appetizers and desserts in the evening) you have to be there at the right time. They put the food out, a line forms and poof! it's all gone. You can also get a beer or a glass of wine in the lounge in the evening but you have to decide if the extra cost for CL is worth it.

We did one CL stay and enjoyed it but it was for a laid back trip where we spent a lot of time at the resort. We did the Sunrise Safari, the Wanyama Safari, enjoyed the breakfast every morning and the appetizers and desserts several evenings. It was worth it to do it once but since then we've been unwilling to give up the space and amenities of a 1BR for a CL studio. For us the main reason to stay at AKV is to enjoy the animals so I want a room with a great savanna view and CL doesn't offer that.

As Deb&Bill said, at Jambo House the Standard View rooms have either a pool view or partial savanna view. Kidani's Standard View rooms can face the driveway, the pool or have a partial savanna view.

Except for the Value 1BRs, the 1BRs in both buildings have a king bed in the bedroom and a queen size sleeper sofa and twin size sleeper chair in the living area. (There is no sleeper chair in the Value 1BRs.)

Jambo 1BRs have one bathroom with a combo whirlpool tub and shower. The issue people have with the combo tub/shower is that it's a very deep tub so it can be difficult for some people to step in and out over the high sides of the tub when they want to take a shower. Plus it means only one person can bathe/shower at a time.

In Kidani, the 1BRs have two bathrooms. One has a whirlpool tub and separate shower stall and a toilet in an enclosed space. The second bathroom is off the kitchen and has a toilet and a regular tub/shower combo plus a small vanity. This second bathroom is another reason why Kidani is popular with families. Another thing I like about Kidani is that the park buses stop there first, then they pick up passengers at Jambo House. It can make a difference between standing and sitting if there are a lot of guests boarding the bus at that time.

The main advantage to Jambo House is that it has more dining options, particularly if you want a hot breakfast. Jambo's lobby is also more lively and some people prefer that. Kidani's lobby is very pretty but smaller and quieter.

Kidani's only restaurant (Sanaa) is wonderful but it doesn't serve breakfast. Jambo is only a 10 minute walk door to door so we don't mind walking over to go to The Mara or Boma for breakfast. There is also a shuttle bus that goes between buildings if you don't want to walk.

If your kids are too young for the Sunrise Safari you have eliminated the main reason to book CL. The other advantage to CL is the free continental breakfast (cereal, pastry, fruit, coffee, juice) and the snacks throughout the day but if you are planning on getting the dining plan, it's not clear whether you will be hungry enough to eat anything in the lounge other than the breakfast. To take advantage of the good stuff (appetizers and desserts in the evening) you have to be there at the right time. They put the food out, a line forms and poof! it's all gone. You can also get a beer or a glass of wine in the lounge in the evening but you have to decide if the extra cost for CL is worth it.

We did one CL stay and enjoyed it but it was for a laid back trip where we spent a lot of time at the resort. We did the Sunrise Safari, the Wanyama Safari, enjoyed the breakfast every morning and the appetizers and desserts several evenings. It was worth it to do it once but since then we've been unwilling to give up the space and amenities of a 1BR for a CL studio. For us the main reason to stay at AKV is to enjoy the animals so I want a room with a great savanna view and CL doesn't offer that.

Again, thank-you for taking the time to type all that information out. It has been very very helpful!
We do spend a lot of time at the resort, but I'm starting to think a 1 bdrm just might suit us better. I agree its very nice to have a washer/dryer, full kitchen and a seperate bedroom!
This past Oct we spent 16 days in a hotel (all Disney resorts) and we found it just fine, but then we moved to a 2 bedroom condo for out last 8 days on the beach, and I had NO idea how much I missed having a washer/dryer! We barely use the kitchen, but the seperate bedrooms were really nice as well. It was great to have some privacy back:)
We decided on Jambo for many reasons..we LOVE the lobby, and having the QS restaurant right there is very handy as well! We also love Boma, and plan on eating there at least once or maybe twice.
I'm going to discuss all the options with my DH tonight and decide what we will do.
Once again, thank-you so much! You've really helped a lot!

I will chime in, in favor of the CL at AKL!! We stay there as often as we can get it and we luv it! It is nice to get up and have coffee already made as well as continental breakfast.. as that is all we eat anyway. Then through out the course of the day having different Hors d'oeuvres. The cordials and great beer are another perk! also, the concierge services are really great. As we spend a lot of time at the hotel we do love it and our kids have always loved it too!

I will chime in, in favor of the CL at AKL!! We stay there as often as we can get it and we luv it! It is nice to get up and have coffee already made as well as continental breakfast.. as that is all we eat anyway. Then through out the course of the day having different Hors d'oeuvres. The cordials and great beer are another perk! also, the concierge services are really great. As we spend a lot of time at the hotel we do love it and our kids have always loved it too!

I'm SO on the fence, but happy to hear your reason's why you pick CL!
We will have the dining plan, but it doesn't mean we will be eating a TS every day for every meal! CL would come in very handy for some breakfasts, and for all the snacks, drinks etc..
We never used the kitchen at all when we had a 2bdrm condo, but we did use the washer/dryer.
I need to weigh the pro's and con's and go from there...

Sadly, the owner couldn't get us a single night in CL:( :( so now I have to decide between a Studio SV or Standard View and a 1 bedroom Value or Standard View.
I'm thinking of doing 5 nights in 1 room and 4 or 5 nights in another..

The owner put us on the waitlist for either the 1st 4/5 nights or last 4/5 nights in CL, but I'm not holding my breath!

Anyone have any experience with the "waitlist" thing, and the odds of my chances of maybe still being able to do CL?

Thanks! :)

Sadly, the owner couldn't get us a single night in CL:( :( so now I have to decide between a Studio SV or Standard View and a 1 bedroom Value or Standard View.
I'm thinking of doing 5 nights in 1 room and 4 or 5 nights in another..

The owner put us on the waitlist for either the 1st 4/5 nights or last 4/5 nights in CL, but I'm not holding my breath!

Anyone have any experience with the "waitlist" thing, and the odds of my chances of maybe still being able to do CL?

Thanks! :)

If you want the value villa, you need to book that as soon as possible or it might also be gone. Those go very quickly.

If you split your stay, you will have to check out and check into a different villa several hours later. Check out is 11 and check in is after 4PM. Do you really want to be homeless that long?

The odds of getting a multiple night waitlist are not good. Plus, if by good fortune, the waitlist comes through, are you prepared to pay the owner more for the reservation? Concierge villas require more points.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter