AKL To Close Until Sept 1st

I just had to point out that a number of the people impacted by the AKL closings on the Resorts board have been offered 1-bedrooms at SSR for $109/night and are not happy about it!!! I can appreciate being disappointed about not being able to stay where you had hoped and its impact on all your plans . . . but a 1-bedroom for $109/night!! I'd be happy dancing :cool1:

I just had to point out that a number of the people impacted by the AKL closings on the Resorts board have been offered 1-bedrooms at SSR for $109/night and are not happy about it!!! I can appreciate being disappointed about not being able to stay where you had hoped and its impact on all your plans . . . but a 1-bedroom for $109/night!! I'd be happy dancing :cool1:
I wouldn't be. I would be really disappointed to be put at SSR. It is NOT AKL. Not even close.
I know there are people who love it and that's great. But if I reserved AKL, I WANT AKL.

Just read on Mousesavers that the construction noise has been too much for guests to tolerate so they are going to close AKL until Sept 1st. Guests are being offered alternative accomodations in chronological order.

http://www.mousesavers.com/aklclosure.html
Not sure if the wording was updated at mousesavers since you posted this link but now it says "mostly" closed and lists those rooms not likely to be affected.

I have a "standard" club room reserved for Dec 1 so I don't think I have anything to worry about.

Keep in mind that this is only supposed to affect people until Sept. 1. So those of us with ressies after that date should be in the clear.

I would be wondering how the summer villa reservations will be handled. Particularly savannah view units. I wonder if this construction not only was affecting guests, but if animals were moved so they could not be viewed from a savannah view room.

I wouldn't be. I would be really disappointed to be put at SSR. It is NOT AKL. Not even close.
I know there are people who love it and that's great. But if I reserved AKL, I WANT AKL.

Sure, but if large portions of AKL are going to be quite noisy and afflicted with sporadic electrical and water outages due to construction, AKL is not going to be the AKL everyone knows and loves. (Though personally, I would love to read the trip report from the guest who refused reasonable alternatives and insisted on staying at AKL during this time period.)

Sure, but if large portions of AKL are going to be quite noisy and afflicted with sporadic electrical and water outages due to construction, AKL is not going to be the AKL everyone knows and loves. (Though personally, I would love to read the trip report from the guest who refused reasonable alternatives and insisted on staying at AKL during this time period.)
Did I miss where they said something about water and electrical outages? I thought the issue was noise. I don't care about construction noise during the day as I'm not there after breakfast to at least lake afternoon but more likely late evening.

Did I miss where they said something about water and electrical outages? I thought the issue was noise.

The report at Mousesavers uses the word "disruption". Seems a bit presumptuous to assume that the disruption is limited to noise. :rolleyes1

Did I miss where they said something about water and electrical outages? I thought the issue was noise. I don't care about construction noise during the day as I'm not there after breakfast to at least lake afternoon but more likely late evening.

No, I added that to make the "vacation from heck" concept more vivid! But it's not out of the realm of possibility when construction is taking place on a large scale.

In reading the resorts board, nobody has really had many complaints about the construction noise. So one has to wonder why the sudden need to move so many folks into alternative accomodations? I imagine that's costing the resorts a bit of money to do that. If it were only a little noise during the day I'd think a simple warning to that effect along with an offer to find accomodations elsewhere would be sufficient. But placing people in more expensive digs and swallowing the cost makes me think it's more than a little noise that they will be expecting over the next month or so.

I do suspect the "I can only stay at AKL or my dreams will be shattered" folks are simply holding out for a better deal before they give in and accept alternative arrangements. Call me cynical, but where Disney is involved, people go a little over the top when they see a way to get free stuff.

The report at Mousesavers uses the word "disruption". Seems a bit presumptuous to assume that the disruption is limited to noise. :rolleyes1

I'd say it's more than a bit presumptuous to assume it's more than what has been stated. So far, all I've ever heard from Disney is that there is a noise issue.

We have a concierge room reserved (on a cash reservation) for the first week of August (the weekend between weeks at BCV and OKW on points)...I called last night to see if we would be relocated and they connested me with a CM who is handling AKL relocations only (I wonder who that poor lady ticked off to get stuck with that job!! Poor thing, dealing with unhappy people all day!!). SHe was very nice and assured me that the resort would remain open, with business as usual, all restaurants, pools, services, special programs and tours would continue as scheduled. No concierge level guests were being relocated, no DVC guests were being relocated, no suite guests, or rooms with pool views were being relocated. And that they would "guarantee a magical vacation at the AKL"... she stated that there might be "Brief periods of audible noise in the hotel's public spaces" between 8AM and 4:30PM, but there should be no influence in guest rooms.

They did not offer to relocate us and I did not request it. Although she did say if we had specific concerns they would be available to discuss arrangements for us...which I took to mean they might be willing to relocate us if we insisted. I think for now I am going to sit tight and see how it plays out.

another board has reported that AKL manager is saying that the entire DVC part of AKL will be completely this Sept.

I certainly haven't heard anything that says that. Anyone heard that?

if the whole thing will be completely in Sept - would anyone consider changing their SV to a concierge in Sept?

I mean hey if it is completely....

I'd say it's more than a bit presumptuous to assume it's more than what has been stated. So far, all I've ever heard from Disney is that there is a noise issue.

Well, if someone at Disney told you that then it must be true, right? :rotfl2:

Seriously, is this really worth splitting hairs over? Initially they warned guests that there could be a problem with noise. Now they've decided to close off large sections of the resort instead. It stands to reason that by doing so, they no longer need to worry about the volume of the disruption. They can start and end their daily work shifts without regard for the impact on nearby guests. They don't have to worry about the impression left on guests by the construction workers or equipment sitting in hallways. They can disconnect power or water lines as necessary without worrying that nearby guests won't be able to turn on a fan or flush a toilet.

Why is this worth examining to the Nth degree? The decision has been made. Guests are being offered generous room upgrades elsewhere, or they can cancel their trip. No, it's not an ideal solution for those who were anticipating AKL, but things happen and Disney is being very generous in terms of the compensation being offered.

Well, if someone at Disney told you that then it must be true, right? :rotfl2:

Seriously, is this really worth splitting hairs over? Initially they warned guests that there could be a problem with noise. Now they've decided to close off large sections of the resort instead. It stands to reason that by doing so, they no longer need to worry about the volume of the disruption. They can start and end their daily work shifts without regard for the impact on nearby guests. They don't have to worry about the impression left on guests by the construction workers or equipment sitting in hallways. They can disconnect power or water lines as necessary without worrying that nearby guests won't be able to turn on a fan or flush a toilet.

Why is this worth examining to the Nth degree? The decision has been made. Guests are being offered generous room upgrades elsewhere, or they can cancel their trip. No, it's not an ideal solution for those who were anticipating AKL, but things happen and Disney is being very generous in terms of the compensation being offered.

I'm not the one who started to throw in the "what if's" to the analysis.

It WOULD make a huge difference to me if it were just noise that was the problem or if there would be no way to turn on the lights or flush the toilet. Noise? No problem. Like I said, I"m in the parks during the day. No electric or water? If it was early morning or later at night, THAT would be a problem.

If you'd care to speculate that there are bigger issues, go right ahead. I'll stick to what has been known, not guessed at. There are noise issues at AKL. No surprise there.

This was not clearly speculation on the part of the poster, it was posted as a fact. It isn't fact.

Starbox, we have a reservation at Jiko on July 24th! It would be so funny if you have a reservation at Jiko that night, too! We're taking a one day side trip away from Vero so we can go to Jiko (our favorite restaurant). We weren't going to hit WDW at all, but oh what we won't do for our beloved Jiko - even leave VB for a day.

We're eating there on the 22nd. I am glad to hear that you love it. It will be our first time at Jiko or Boma. We loved Artist Point last month, and Jiko looks like it's on a similar "foodie" level.

I've heard such good things about Boma too, so I am breaking my NO BUFFET rule and facing my serious buffetophobia to try it. I did save it until our last night so I don't have to be paranoid that we will catch some sort of buffet plauge and have it ruin the trip. :rotfl:

We were called and told construction noise will only be from 9-5 - and we are never in our room during those hours (we may be at the pool late afternoon - but a little construction noise while swimming has to be better than the bad pop music mix that often gets played at Disney pools). I am not that worried about it.

This was not clearly speculation on the part of the poster, it was posted as a fact. It isn't fact.

Well actually it was declared to be prose in a subsequent post when it became a point of contention. So referring to it as a purported fact at this stage is somewhat misleading.

The whole point of this discussion has been the article stating AKL would close (or mostly close) until September. If the article was mistaken and construction will continue with the minimal amount of disruption seen over the last few months, then all should be fine at AKL/AKV, relocations notwithstanding. But as with most things we debate here, time will ultimately tell.

(we may be at the pool late afternoon - but a little construction noise while swimming has to be better than the bad pop music mix that often gets played at Disney pools). I am not that worried about it.

What a hoot!! I agreed totally!!

If you'd care to speculate that there are bigger issues, go right ahead. I'll stick to what has been known, not guessed at. There are noise issues at AKL. No surprise there.

The noise issues were announced when Disney still intended on keeping the resort fully operational. That is no longer the case.

To assume that noise is the only disruption is just as speculative anything else at this point. Unless Disney issues a formal statement, none of us know exactly why the decision was made to shut down large portions of the resort.

The noise issues were announced when Disney still intended on keeping the resort fully operational. That is no longer the case.

To assume that noise is the only disruption is just as speculative anything else at this point. Unless Disney issues a formal statement, none of us know exactly why the decision was made to shut down large portions of the resort.

I disagree. Notice that anyone who has spoken to Disney has been told that noise is the issue. Not a single person that has posted has been told anything other than noise is the issue.

We were called and told construction noise will only be from 9-5 - and we are never in our room during those hours (we may be at the pool late afternoon - but a little construction noise while swimming has to be better than the bad pop music mix that often gets played at Disney pools). I am not that worried about it.
You mean they didn't call to tell you about the lack of electricity or running water? :rotfl:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter