Alaska Itineraries: Icy Straight Point vs. Skagway

TooBoyz4us

DIS Veteran
In doing my research for our first Alaska Cruise, which will be in 2025, I noticed that for 2024 the itineraries swap each week, being either :
  • Glacier Viewing (Stikine Icecap), Alaska
  • Icy Strait Point, Alaska
  • Juneau, Alaska
  • Ketchikan, Alaska
OR
  • Skagway, Alaska
  • Juneau, Alaska
  • Ketchikan, Alaska
Almost ALL of the video reviews I have watched go to Skagway. Does this mean that the Icy Straight Point cruises are less full? What exactly is the difference (and preference) between the two ports other than the fact that the Skagway itinerary is slightly more expensive?

In doing my research for our first Alaska Cruise, which will be in 2025, I noticed that for 2024 the itineraries swap each week, being either :
  • Icy Strait Point, Alaska
  • Juneau, Alaska
  • Ketchikan, Alaska
OR
  • Skagway, Alaska
  • Juneau, Alaska
  • Ketchikan, Alaska
Almost ALL of the video reviews I have watched go to Skagway. Does this mean that the Icy Straight Point cruises are less full? What exactly is the difference (and preference) between the two ports other than the fact that the Skagway itinerary is slightly more expensive?
In previous years, almost all of the cruises went to Skagway. That's why you see so many Skagway videos.

I haven't been to Icy Straight Point, so I can't compare the two. Sorry!

Icy Strait Point is known for whale watching. And bear watching.

Skagway is known for the railway up the mtn.

Basically it depends on what you want to do. Google shore excursions for both ports for pics and descriptions.

Both ports are worth a visit; it just depends on the activities your family wants to do.

IMG_8019.jpeg
I had a great time on my bear search at Icy Straight Point, but I’ve heard from basically everyone Skagway is the far superior port.

We visited Icy Strait Point with a different cruise line (before DCL started sailing there.) Some friends recommended the port because of all the whales they saw -- said it was almost boring to spot another whale. We didn't see quite that many; in fact the closest we came to a whale was when we got back to the ship and a whale was swimming right next to it, ready for a photo op.

Our shore excursion also included bear watching, so we took a bus through the local village to get there. Lots of poverty, like some of the Caribbean islands. Some of the Icy Strait Point locals weren't too thrilled when cruise ships started visiting their remote town but the almighty dollar has certainly helped the economy. The side of the tour bus was supposed to say "Hoonah Tours" but an unfortunate typo called it the Hoohah Tour. ahem. I would assume that's been corrected by now.

We went on a small hike to a bear viewing platform. The guide was well-armed; literally loaded for bear, and watching for fresh tracks and bear scat. We saw some bear through binoculars, which was close enough for us, thanks.

Meanwhile, the train in Skagway is very scenic -- that town is more upscale with more touristy shops.

We booked our own trip in Skagway with "Frontier Excursions & Adventures." Very modern and roomy 1X-passenger bus with lots of room to stretch out, and big windows. Guide/driver kept us entertained and we saw A LOT (way more than the train would, and I am a choo-choo fan) at a much lower price. Made it all the way up to Carcross and Craig Lake YK and got a real flavor of the route of the Klondike excursioneers in 1890's. Yes, I recommend.

Last edited:
We visited both Skagway and Icy Strait Point on our cruise and they were my two favorite ports. I’d happily go to either one again.

Skagway was great for heading to the Yukon, taking the scenic railway, etc. It’s a very busy port and there were other ships in port and some large bus excursions. We had a great tour guide on a small bus/big van with Chilkoot charters and actually saw a Mama Bear and two cubs thanks to the tour guide’s eagle eyes and and driving skills (he spotted the bears along side the road and whipped us around and we were able to watch them from the bus windows until they ambled back into the bush). We had several stops along the way and then took the train back. It was a long, tiring day … but we enjoyed all the stops and our tour guide was great.

Because of ISP’s proximity to Point Adolphus, whale watching is excellent (humpbacks). We took a private charter (6 passengers max) whale watching and it was my favorite excursion - saw lots of whales and even some sea otters and other wildlife. Scenery was pristine and amazing. It was a more relaxing port with fewer activities and less hustle and bustle than Skagway and it was just the Wonder in port (not sure if they can accommodate more than one ship or not).

Incidentally, if whale watching is one of your goals, then consider booking a whale watching cruise in Vancouver before or after your DCL cruise. There are plenty of them on offer and they almost always see whales (usually humpbacks and orcas). They might be cheaper than what you can book in Alaska, too.

We stopped at both on a cruise (Royal Caribbean) back in 2019. Both have things to do but vary in what may interest you.

Icy Straight Point is technically owned by the cruise lines, but is near the town of Hoonan. Most everything (excursions) originates from the port area which is maintained and run by the cruise industry but there is the real town just down the road. There is a large zip line and some other adventure land based things to do but more focus on getting out on the water. There is a little walking path and “cannery” area inside the actual grounds. Icy Straight Point definitely looks towards the sea as the star of the show.

Skagway is different in that the town can be explored just by walking off the ship. Not that there is no history in Hoonah, but the restaurant , bars, and shops can really be explored with ease In Skagway. The railway up to the Yukon, zip lining in the valley, and other tours give a little more variety here but expect a little less in the way of water focusing tours. Skagway leans into the mountains and gold rush aspect more than having a sea focus.

They both have positives and negatives. The historic aspect of Skagway is easier to see and access. The wildlife was plentiful at ISP, we saw whales, seals, bears eagles all with hardly trying. Good luck planning.

Icy Strait Point is less developed. Way less developed.

They have a very nice zip line - that is rather pricy (approaching $300 for a 90-second ride), although it is spectacular and long/steep. It is a seated zip, so it may be more accessible to those who have physical limitations or some fears.

A gondola system is new in the last few years; no need to ride a school bus to the top of the mountain.

There are two commercial areas for the tourists - and these are very small, tasteful. Somewhat like being in a National Park. But nothing to keep you occupied for hours.

A few miles away is the community of Hoonah, the residential fishing?village.

If it weren’t for the two dock areas at Icy Strait Point itself, you wouldn’t think “cruise destination.”

I did a combo whale watch and zip line excursion there in 2021. Great whale viewing on a beautiful September day.

Skagway is definitely a cruise destination. Take a very small town that looks like a Main Street from a western movie, set it by the Lynn Canal and mountains. Add a port that handles five or so cruise ships at a time. Historically, the starting point for men to begin the Yukon Trail in their search for wealth in the Gold Rush.

The train can take you up the mountain to Yukon, Canada. Bring you back or put you on a bus for return (or vice versa). Peaceful excursion.

You can take a classic AK cruise staple - the helicopter flight to land in a glacier. Or to play with husky/sled dog puppies.

Rent a car and drive into Yukon to see an inland desert or an Emerald Lake. Visit a dog sled interaction. We drove all the way to Whitehorse, the capital of Yukon Terr.

You can even take the fast ferry up the Lynn Canal (the deepest fjord in North America) to visit Haines, a very small community.

Hike, bike, kayak. Eat fudge, drink beer, visit an old-time saloon, shop for souvenirs, drink Starbucks. You can walk the Main Street in less than a mile, or so it seems. This is tourist Alaska. But not like tourist Caribbean. No one waiting to greet you and sell you stuff. I don’t remember seeing kiosks offering excursions, even. (They have those in Juneau and Ketchikan. But they aren’t aggressive, just there if you need them).

Skagway is typically a walk to town situation. Several if the cruise ships are a straight walk up the street to the main area. A few might be tendered? Or at the dock near the landslips that occurred in the last few years. We had a shuttle bus that ran from that location when in the Wonder.

I loved both ports while we cruised last year on a different line. Icy Straight Point port has the zip line and feels more remote, while Skagway is an actual town with more to do. The train was nice, but if we go back I would rent a car and drive up towards Canada so that we can stop along the way.

The weather was beautiful in Skagway and rained in ISP, so it made a difference too.

The Wonder is not so big - and AK is still a big draw for many people - that I don’t think a difference in guest count would be significant.

If Icy Strait Point weeks are less expensive, it may pull in cruisers who are looking for any way to cut the cost of Disney to Alaska.

In previous years, almost all of the cruises went to Skagway. That's why you see so many Skagway videos.

I haven't been to Icy Straight Point, so I can't compare the two. Sorry!
This was my thought as well, I only remember seeing a small number (1-2?) of sailings this last summer that went to Icy Straight Point. Skagway was part of the standard 7-night itinerary.

We went to Skagway and this was our favorite port. We did the train right up into the Yukon then a bus tour further up and then back to Skagway with Chilkoot Charters. It was an awesome tour and we got to see a lot.

The first 2 times, I loved Icy Strait Point and couldn’t wait to go back there in 2023, but there was a huge Norwegian ship in prior to our arrival and it was so crowded, we couldn’t wait to get back on the Wonder. There are more things to do and Skagway seems better prepared to handle crowds.

We wouldn’t skip Skagway - it was amazing! We rented a car, grabbed a picnic lunch, and drove to the Yukon Territory. Some of our most memorable moments from our Alaskan cruise!

1705590901284.jpeg
Skyride at ISP - it was fun, but terrifying.

We were the only ship in port, so it was very quiet actually. Our activity was cancelled (we had planned to do the adventure course) due to damage from high winds. Instead we did a scavenger hunt since DS was too young for most other activities (most had a minimum age of 8 or so).

I’ll throw this out there.

If you are looking for the “I went in an Alaskan cruise” experience, pick Skagway.

If you are the type who likes less tourism, less developed - but with a pricey ZipRider (and, yes, I love it), go for Icy Strait Point.

I have not been to ISP, but will say that Skagway was my favorite part of our cruise last summer. We booked a third-party hike and float excursion that was hiking in the historic Dyea area and a gentle river raft ride. We also had time in the afternoon for a sort hike near the cruise port.

Go with what your family wants to do with activities in those specific ports. Icy strait is another chance of whale watching if you want to do other things in Juneau. Personally after going last year to both ports I would skip icy strait and do Skagway. Icy strait has the zipline but it wasn't anything I was interested in. I did do whale watching but it was the same pod watching over and over but In Juneau I saw them bubble feeding which was amazing.

Skagway there are tons of things to do and you can purchase specific things. Ie pandora charms get crafted beers.

Salmon are running in the river near Haines in late August and September, and as a pp mentioned, you take the ferry from Skagway. I did the bear and eagle excursion. It was pouring rain, and the bears hesitate to go to the river in the rain, so we struggled to find some. Luckily, at the very end of 2 hours of driving and looking, we did see Mom and 2 cubs catching salmon in the river. Good thing because I think there might have been a mutiny! Weather definitely impacted my Alaska cruise; it poured in Skagway and Ketchican and was just gentle raining in Juneau and Sitka. Not sure I want to return unless you can promise me clear skies, and I know you can't.
ETA-I did choose September because I wanted to see bears. They don't do that excursion earlier in the year because they are drawn to the salmon.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter