All about the Autotrain

The biggest problem the Auto Train has is people doing dumb things and CSX. Occasional mechanical issues, but by far the major delays they have are out of their control.

I completely agree- a lot of people might blame Amtrak but many of the delays on the Auto Train for the last few months have been out of Amtrak's control.

I hope you have a wonderfully relaxing cruise!

Just a PSA for newer SUV and truck owners - many of the bigger models are now too wide for the auto train. You will be told to YouTube how to take off your mirror.

I took the AT southbound 11/7. I received an email back in August for a $129 roomette 1 person ($69 for an additional person) total w/car was $387.

I arrived at the station around noon. I took advantaged of the warm day and waited outside. Any opportunity to not have to wear a mask is a plus. At the Lorton station they didn't require masks outside. At the Sanford station they did. (go figure).
Boarding was on-time (2:30) The train was rolling onto the mainline right at 4:00pm.
The roomette was clean. FYI there was only one electrical outlet. If you have multiple things to charge plan accordingly. The room attendant took my dinner order and time (6:30 in room). The food was good but not something I would rave about. I had him convert the room to a bed at 8:00.
I have an Ipod with a data plan so I didn't use the wifi. There were 3-4 areas on the trip where I lost the signal for a short time.
"Breakfast" in the morning Consisted of coffee, cereal, crumb cake, bananas and OJ.
We pulled into Sanford station at 8am. I had my car around 9:30.

Observations:
The sleeper car public areas were much cleaner than what I have experienced in coach.
I brought a blanket and extra pillow.

Amtrak is giving the same discount right now. you need to book travel by 12/17. Black out dates apply.

I took the AT southbound 11/7. I received an email back in August for a $129 roomette 1 person ($69 for an additional person) total w/car was $387.

I arrived at the station around noon. I took advantaged of the warm day and waited outside. Any opportunity to not have to wear a mask is a plus. At the Lorton station they didn't require masks outside. At the Sanford station they did. (go figure).
Boarding was on-time (2:30) The train was rolling onto the mainline right at 4:00pm.
The roomette was clean. FYI there was only one electrical outlet. If you have multiple things to charge plan accordingly. The room attendant took my dinner order and time (6:30 in room). The food was good but not something I would rave about. I had him convert the room to a bed at 8:00.
I have an Ipod with a data plan so I didn't use the wifi. There were 3-4 areas on the trip where I lost the signal for a short time.
"Breakfast" in the morning Consisted of coffee, cereal, crumb cake, bananas and OJ.
We pulled into Sanford station at 8am. I had my car around 9:30.

Observations:
The sleeper car public areas were much cleaner than what I have experienced in coach.
I brought a blanket and extra pillow.

Amtrak is giving the same discount right now. you need to book travel by 12/17. Black out dates apply.

Ugh. Our trip is in July and the deal is for travel prior to that. I'll have to keep an eye out as both trains are only 10% full. We'll either need two roomettes or a family bedroom.

Oh my goodness, you just made my day!
We had flights for a trip at the end of January, but plans changed and we needed to bring a car north -but I didn't feel like driving back in this particular car so we figured we'd book the auto train and come home that way...except I just hadn't gotten around to booking the auto train. After reading your post I was just able to book a one way roomette for the two of us for a song! It's been a few years since we've been on the auto train, so thanks again for posting about that special!

We are currently northbound on a very full AT. We had dinner in our room, but they are offering dinner at 5,6,7,8 and were running behind. We had 6 pm and had our dinner by 615. We're about an hour ahead of schedule currently. Train was about 45 min late getting into Sanford this morning which normally wouldn't cause any delay, but they didn't finish offloading til about 1220 but they got us in pretty quick. We were sitting on Persimmon almost all the way back to where the second lane starts (coming from 46) and they made anyone who came the other way come down, turn around and get in line with us. We didn't leave until 4. We pretty much always leave by 345. Oh, and they actually had carrot cake today. I know it's been on the menu but they hadn't had it and didn't 3 weeks ago when we came down.

Question for fellow sleeper car passengers. Do you tip at the end as well as the first night when the attendant brings dinner to your room?

I did everything at the end of each leg last time but was wondering if I should do something differently this week coming up.

Thank

Question for fellow sleeper car passengers. Do you tip at the end as well as the first night when the attendant brings dinner to your room?

I did everything at the end of each leg last time but was wondering if I should do something differently this week coming up.

Thank
We tip as we are getting off the train (yesterday morning). We've always tipped as we get off.

I tip for meals, and then tip the SCA getting off the train.

I tip for meals, and then tip the SCA getting off the train.
Back when everyone ate in the dining car, we'd tip for each meal, but now that our cabin attendant delivers dinner, we just tipped him when we got off. I don't know what DH did when he picked up breakfast both times.

We return on the train tomorrow and planned to do the visitors center shuttle into downtown Sanford. Does anyone have experience as to if this runs on New Year’s Day? Thought to ask when I saw the German restaurant and market are closed. Thanks!

We just booked our next trip to FL on Halloween day. We also decided to grab a priority offload for the southbound. We haven't booked northbound yet (Nov 19) because we're short points, so we'll check in a month and see what the points are then. We do bedrooms so the point count is high. We usually have 2 years between trips instead of 1 so we're short about 30K points right now. We may end up buying points to make up the gap, but returning, all we need is a bedroom and don't care about priority since we live so close to Lorton. We use our BOA Amtrak rewards MC for everything so points do add up, but 30K is probably a bit much to get in the next few months lol.

We return on the train tomorrow and planned to do the visitors center shuttle into downtown Sanford. Does anyone have experience as to if this runs on New Year’s Day? Thought to ask when I saw the German restaurant and market are closed. Thanks!
I wouldn't count on it. You'll have to wait til you get there. We've never done it. We just sit in the station and read/eat/use our laptops.

I’m thinking of taking the auto train in the spring. Not sure about the width of my 2017 Toyota Highlander. Does auto train actually measure? Do they include mirrors extended or folding? Any insight appreciated.

I’m thinking of taking the auto train in the spring. Not sure about the width of my 2017 Toyota Highlander. Does auto train actually measure? Do they include mirrors extended or folding? Any insight appreciated.
Yes they will measure before you get out of the car. It’s like a big yardstick that they pass thru the car with mirrors folded.

I'm driving from the Lehigh Valley in PA. I plan on avoiding the 95 route as much as I can. But the 81 to 15 route does take me onto the outer loop of the Beltway. I'd be leaving around 8am on a Saturday. Will I experience any issues on a Saturday around noon on the Beltway. Can anyone recommend a better route?

I'm driving from the Lehigh Valley in PA. I plan on avoiding the 95 route as much as I can. But the 81 to 15 route does take me onto the outer loop of the Beltway. I'd be leaving around 8am on a Saturday. Will I experience any issues on a Saturday around noon on the Beltway. Can anyone recommend a better route?
We take 81 to Winchester and then Rt 17/50 to Rt123. Rt 123 to Lorton Rd. Take Lorton Rd to station. Might take a bit longer but avoids Beltway.

We take 81 to Winchester and then Rt 17/50 to Rt123. Rt 123 to Lorton Rd. Take Lorton Rd to station. Might take a bit longer but avoids Beltway.
Thank you so much. I’m very familiar with 81. Used to take that to drive to Georgia. Your route seems like a great alternative to 95 and the Beltway.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter