All about the Autotrain

The Tim Tracker recently brought another interesting place in Sanford to my attention: Henry's Depot. Looks like another place to get some good food before the trip.

Around 18:30 is when they get to the venue:

Last edited:
Yikes on your experience!
We ride down on June 3. We drive from PA. I always make the family leave early, because my DH gets so stressed with beltway traffic. The aim is to get there around 11:30, check in, then go get a nice leisurely lunch.

I commend you on your resilience in getting the Jersey's Mikes!
Our go to is to arrive from Massachusetts around 11am, and go down to that grocery store plaza just down the street. Stock up on snacks and drinks for train and then have lunch at Glory Days on the other side of the plaza.
On the way back up, we hit up Cracker Barrel which is super close to the Sanford station.

We just received an email from Amtrak that the new departure time is 5pm and the arrival time is 10am for both stations effective May 2nd. CSX required the time change.

We just received an email from Amtrak that the new departure time is 5pm and the arrival time is 10am for both stations effective May 2nd. CSX required the time change.
Oh that’s too bad but I guess it is what it is , guess we can leave our house a little later

has anyone gone recently and can tell me what the food options are in the cafe? we are planning on going coach in august and curious what food items are available.
thanks!

Sorry to be dense but can someone please explain the advantage of the auto train vs just driving for those who don’t live close to VA? Eg if I’m driving from the northeast why would I only go half way, deal with the stress of being on time, loading unloading etc, and paying more than what gas (and a hotel) would cost? If you are close by I get it, but if I’m already going through the hassle of driving why not just do the whole thing?

has anyone gone recently and can tell me what the food options are in the cafe? we are planning on going coach in august and curious what food items are available.
thanks!
Here's the current menu as listed on the website. Usually on Amtrak your mileage may vary in terms of what is in stock and what they are out of. If I remember correctly, they restock at Lorton, so more is available on the trip going south.

https://www.amtrak.com/content/dam/...us/routes/Auto-Train-Cafe-Menu-Coach-1121.pdf

Sorry to be dense but can someone please explain the advantage of the auto train vs just driving for those who don’t live close to VA? Eg if I’m driving from the northeast why would I only go half way, deal with the stress of being on time, loading unloading etc, and paying more than what gas (and a hotel) would cost? If you are close by I get it, but if I’m already going through the hassle of driving why not just do the whole thing?

Well - I'd say it's about what is convenient for different people, some folks don't like to drive that far, some folks enjoy the novelty of train travel, some folks may just want to check the experience off of their list, others may very much enjoy the experience.

We last took the autotrain north in Feb. We had gone down to the west coast of FL to pick up a car - a small car that neither of us wanted to drive north in - so we booked the autotrain home after a few days stay at WDW. So not being stuck in that small car for 2 days was the advantage for us. And it was cheaper than hiring a car transport & flying home as we got a great deal on our sleeper compartment. Luckily we are only about 2 hours east of Lorton.

I married a train buff, so my kids had riddent trains from birth and were late to ever get on a plane. My daughter's first trip on the AT was at 18 months, in a carrier with a bulkhead seat in coach. (Ironically my daughter is now married to an airplane pilot.)

For us, we love the AT. We rode coach for many years, and one time got upgraded for cheap to a roommette. We never looked back, and now my hubby will only ride in a bedroom. So for us it is the start of the trip and a celebration.

On the other side, we drove 95 a few times, and it was hellacious. Grueling traffic, traffic jams, having to stop overnight. So the joy of leaving in the afternoon, and arriving in Sanford the next morning is really happy for us. We love it so much more than flying, because you can basically pack your house in your car and off you go.

Last edited:
We did the autotrain once from NH.
We drove to Lorton the day before the train departure and pretty much wasted a whole day hanging around waiting to get on the train. Would not do that again.

But on the return trip, we spent a pleasant morning in the Magic Kingdom and had early lunch, drove to Lorton and checked in about 1pm and enjoyed our overnight on the train before driving the rest of the way home to NH.

So I would definitely do the return trip but not the trip on the way down depending on the price.

We have also done the regular train (had a bedroom compartment) from Boston to Orlando and enjoyed that.

Our most recent trips, we drove down Route 81, including a bit of the Blue Ridge Parkway.
Much prettier and less stressful than driving 95.

After driving multiple times 24 hours to get there, — instead driving 6 1/2 hrs. to then relax, drink wine and play cards in the lounge, read a book, not stress on the traffic, and arrive fresh…. It’s a nice break.
We give ourselves plenty of time, don’t find them loading or unloading our car stressful. Also we stop and get snacks, eat a nice lunch down the street before boarding.
True, we wait a couple of hours, but in reality it’s like 3 tops. But the 24 hour drive has gotten old over the years, and I enjoy the downtime of being able to pause.
Then the dreaded ride home is a little more palatable when your 6 1/2 hours vs 24

Last edited:
Interesting…honestly I don’t drive, but the one and only time we drove last year my husband and our (male) au pair drove down, the kids and I flew, and then we all drove home via a stop on the beach. It wasn’t as bad as I thought it would be, and I could see driving again someday if we ever are not time constrained (eg once I retire). Maybe then we might try the train? But the bottle neck always seems to be DC, and this doesn’t avoid the whole mess that is 95 from New Jersey all the way down to DC. The idea of taking I81 instead is intriguing as well.

Interesting…honestly I don’t drive, but the one and only time we drove last year my husband and our (male) au pair drove down, the kids and I flew, and then we all drove home via a stop on the beach. It wasn’t as bad as I thought it would be, and I could see driving again someday if we ever are not time constrained (eg once I retire). Maybe then we might try the train? But the bottle neck always seems to be DC, and this doesn’t avoid the whole mess that is 95 from New Jersey all the way down to DC. The idea of taking I81 instead is intriguing as well.
Yes there is tricky spots. We never have a problem on the way down, we leave very early in the morning and that is usually a Sunday. By the time we hit DC, it is busy but on a Sunday still flows.
The way back is a little trickier. The train dumps you at such a time that may not be the most convenient. Ironically our worst start and stop traffic is when we get to Connecticut where it seems like you are stopped through every major city. But that most likely is due to the timing of when we hit it, and is usually a business day. We have on occasion done the i81 thing which for where we live, adds an hour, but is a more peaceful ride. Other times we just deal, and once we get by Hartford (bypass) route, we have a smooth sail where we live off 84.
After reading above that the time has changed (although I have not gotten an email yet for our June trip). - I am curious to see how this affects our traffic back, though I’m guessing that 81 route will help a lot and by the time we get to CT it will be much later and better as now it’s rush hour when we hit.

My husband won’t fly and I’ve determined that 7 1/2 hours in the car together is our maximum which would mean two nights in a hotel for us. We’ve just made the train part of our vacation experience.

I've done the Autotrain several times, both from CT to Fl, and now Fl to CT. I've also done the drive I don't know how many times lol. I MUCH prefer the train! (I do not fly) It's about 2 hrs from my home in Tampa Bay to the Sanford station, and about 6 hrs to family in central CT~although there is always traffic around DC, NYC and last time, on the Merritt Pkwy.

So to get to the Lorton station to load, I leave CT about 5 am. I've never had trouble getting there on time leaving then. Getting to Sanford is a breeze for me, I take beautiful backroads through old FL. Once we get to the station and get on the train, I get to relax, eat dinner and watch out the window. Then sleep and wake up not having to drive all those hours, like 17. Plus, I have my own car at the end, never have to rent one. I also have a BOA Amtrak rewards CC, which I charge everything on (and pay off) and have a ton of points so I get a good deal.

I am actually going to CT next month and ...driving...because my folks did not like the train! I got them an accessible room and a roomette for me and dd. She loved it (she's 7 and has autism) but they thought the ride was rough. I mean, they're freight tracks lol. Anyhow, now I get to drive 2 days each way, with 2 elderly people (one of whom is disabled) and my quirky dd~while I so dearly love them all, it's stressful for me and I would buy train tickets in an instant! I'm trying the inland route this time (95 to 26 to 77 to 81) to hopefully avoid the insane traffic.

I rode the auto train to and from Sanford recently. I live in Eastern PA. Took the 81 route down to Lorton and the 95 corridor back. Hands down 81was the better way to go. GPS route home didn't 'see' the 81 route. No manor issues with 95 but traffic was heavy. Will investigate and plan trip home a bit better for my next train ride. Incidentally, this was my first ever train ride and I LOVED it!!!!

We leave next week in a roomette so we still get dining service. I can’t remember how much we tipped the servers- can anyone advise? Also, at the pre-ready breakfast seating did you still tip but less?

We leave next week in a roomette so we still get dining service. I can’t remember how much we tipped the servers- can anyone advise? Also, at the pre-ready breakfast seating did you still tip but less?
I believe they are still not seating in the dining cars for meals, dinner is served in your room. For breakfast it is grab and go. As far as tipping, we tip our attendant more when they have to bring the food to our room.

I believe they are still not seating in the dining cars for meals, dinner is served in your room. For breakfast it is grab and go. As far as tipping, we tip our attendant more when they have to bring the food to our room.
Thanks and this leads me to another question- this is our first roomette trip. We have traveled coach many times when they still used the dining car for all passengers.
Is there a single attendant at your car that you just like tip for the whole trip or no? I know they do things like fix the beds, etc. if so how much, or do you do it individually like we said when they bring the meals, etc as littler amounts, or just one bigger thank you?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter