Alligator Incident Discussion/Fence being built at Grand Floridian?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dunangst

Mouseketeer
I have been reading reports here that guests feed the alligators at Disney from their rooms - presumably the bungalows and water view rooms. The animal experts have said the alligators are afraid of humans as a rule, but that when human start feeding them they become "nuisance" alligators who become less and less fearful about approaching people. These same gators then become dangerous to other guests. How about a zero tolerance policy for those who are caught engaging in this? Or warning info for those in water adjacent rooms? If you are caught, you are asked to leave. No exceptions.

**Moderator note: Please use this thread for discussion of the alligator incident at the Grand Floridian, and related information/concerns. New threads on this topic will be merged in or closed as necessary.***

Last edited by a moderator:
I've been watching guests feeding the native wildlife for years. It's really not all that hard. There are alligators in almost every single body of water. Take YC/BC for instance...there is a canal that runs behind the bus stops at BC. I can't count the times I've seen people hanging over the railings, dropping food into the water! Same thing at the parks...people insist on feeding the birds. But then, when a huge bird swoops down and grabs the food off your tray? Well, sorry but how is the bird supposed to know what's 'his' food and what's 'yours'?
Alligators are normally afraid of humans. But, people feed them, people insist on getting into waters that could very well have alligators in them (not talking about WDW here but other areas of Fl). Alligators are learning to have no fear..that rather than fear humans, get as close as they can and they'll get fed!
I have to agree....if there was a fine imposed, possibly guests would stop doing it. But...that means a CM ambling about the resorts, making sure no one is feeding the animals!

It would probably be every hard to actually catch people feeding the alligators and other wildlife. I don't for one second believe people think it's okay to feed wildlife from their rooms or from their perch at a restaurant or wherever else people drop food for the wildlife, but they do it because they don't think about it or they feel like the rules aren't necessary or applied to them. People will do things like this and other things that they shouldn't until they are forced to stop, but these types of actions are probably very hard to police. People need to think about the things they are doing and how that might affect the habitat around them, but sadly I feel like that's kind of wishful thinking and some people just don't care what they should or shouldn't do and that's not likely to change.

Should people be held responsible for feeding the wildlife, sure of course but is that likely a possible thing for Disney to be able to enforce...probably not.

Just a note that it is already illegal to feed alligators in Florida. Feeding alligators is a second-degree misdemeanor. A fine of up to $500 and possible jail time.

68A-25.001 Feeding or Enticement of Crocodilians Unlawful.

No person shall intentionally feed, or entice with feed, any crocodilian unless held in captivity under a permit issued by the Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission or otherwise provided by this Title.

Specific Authority Art. IV, Sec. 9, Fla. Const. Law Implemented Art. IV, Sec. 9, Fla. Const. History–New 3-1-05, Amended 5-18-06.

Dave

I just read a FB post that a fence is being set up right at this moment. Anyone there to confirm this?

ClLMRUsWMAA92sR.jpg

As the fence is designed to keep folks out of the water rather than keep gators off the beach, I'm envisioning three strands of white nautical rope and signs forbidding crossing fence line due to presence of dangerous wildlife.

You are probably correct, but three strands of rope and a few signs are not going to keep everyone away from the water. However, it probably does cover them from a legal/liability standpoint.

The fence is more of a message than anything. I am sure they will be accompanied by signs that clearly indicate "Keep out of the water".

It is abundantly clear that nothing should be left up to interpretation.

There is no way they are going to eradicate all of the alligators. This is an open theme park, in Florida...built on swampland.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter