Am I getting this wrong? Using Military Tickets from 2020 and then 2021

AUDramaQueen

DIS Veteran
My dad purchased 6 military tickets in early 2020 for a May trip we were supposed to take.

They were for my family of 4, my aunt, and my dad (who had to use one at the time I thought).

My mom bought an AP and my dad upgraded his ticket to an annual pass on a trip in March the week before Covid shut down the parks. He got a refund on his AP.

So we still have 5 of those tickets from 2020. They are good until September and we are planning again for May of this year. My aunt who had the 5th ticket does not want to travel yet so she transferred it back to my dad in MDE.

That leaves my mom.

I told them they needed to buy her a ticket directly from Disney, but they called the base and are buying her one military discount ticket for the 2021 promotion.

I may be wrong but I thought the military member had to use one of the tickets when the promotional tickets are purchased.

Since my dad already has tickets from the 2020 promotion, will she be able to use the 2021 promotional ticket by herself?

And if she can use it by herself, will he be able to go back and buy the remaining 5 later or do you have to buy them all at once?

My dad purchased 6 military tickets in early 2020 for a May trip we were supposed to take.

They were for my family of 4, my aunt, and my dad (who had to use one at the time I thought).

My mom bought an AP and my dad upgraded his ticket to an annual pass on a trip in March the week before Covid shut down the parks. He got a refund on his AP.

So we still have 5 of those tickets from 2020. They are good until September and we are planning again for May of this year. My aunt who had the 5th ticket does not want to travel yet so she transferred it back to my dad in MDE.

That leaves my mom.

I told them they needed to buy her a ticket directly from Disney, but they called the base and are buying her one military discount ticket for the 2021 promotion.

I may be wrong but I thought the military member had to use one of the tickets when the promotional tickets are purchased.

Since my dad already has tickets from the 2020 promotion, will she be able to use the 2021 promotional ticket by herself?

And if she can use it by herself, will he be able to go back and buy the remaining 5 later or do you have to buy them all at once?
They can buy the military discounted one...for a few different reasons, but either way she'll be fine...will just need a military id (active or spouses...I've had twice where they've even taken a dependents id- I know they're not supposed to, but they acted like it didn't matter) to activate it at guest services.

You also don't need to buy them all at once...he'll still be able to go back and get the rest.

Does your mom bot have a military id? If she does, understand that it's treated just as an active duty id, so none of it would matter as your mom can do just as the military member. If she doesn't have a military id...your only issue would be activating it...although I'm guessing all of yours need activated. Just need a mil id to activate.

I may be wrong but I believe the wives of service members have all the same rights and benefits as the service member so she should be ok

She'd be fine in any case, because your dad is using a ticket (even if it's not in the same "batch"), and doubly so because spouses can buy tickets on their own.

Have fun!

To elaborate even more, the way the new promotion was announced, your dad or mom could have purchased up to 6 more tickets in 2021. I created this graphic to help explain the purchase/use windows:

In your family's case, your dad bought 6 tickets in Window 1, so he was permitted to buy up to 6 more in Window 3. He only bought one more, so it's all good!

They can buy the military discounted one...for a few different reasons, but either way she'll be fine...will just need a military id (active or spouses...I've had twice where they've even taken a dependents id- I know they're not supposed to, but they acted like it didn't matter) to activate it at guest services.

You also don't need to buy them all at once...he'll still be able to go back and get the rest.

Does your mom bot have a military id? If she does, understand that it's treated just as an active duty id, so none of it would matter as your mom can do just as the military member. If she doesn't have a military id...your only issue would be activating it...although I'm guessing all of yours need activated. Just need a mil id to activate.
She does have ID so sounds like she will be fine.

In the past they were particular about only letting the spouse activate the tickets if the military member was not there. And at one point, the military member (or spouse if they were not available) HAD to be one of the tickets holders. I was confused how that worked with holding essentially two different promotions if he had to use one from each promotion.

Sounds like I overthought things (as usual!).

Thanks, everyone!

In the past they were particular about only letting the spouse activate the tickets if the military member was not there. And at one point, the military member (or spouse if they were not available) HAD to be one of the tickets holders. I was confused how that worked with holding essentially two different promotions if he had to use one from each promotion.

Thanks, everyone!

Although we usually had my husband activate tickets (before we got them already activated from SoG), I've never heard of them ever not allowing a spouse to do it. It's not as if he won't be there, in any case.

And yes, the military member or spouse DOES need to be one of the ticket holders (unless he or she has an AP). But with this year, the windows overlap, so you're good.

Have fun!

Thanks, everyone!
Hmmm...that must have been years and years and years ago. My husband's been in for 20 yrs and we've never heard of or had a problem with him not using one or needing to be the one to activate etc. Either way you're family will be fine :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter