Am I the only one that is unimpressed with SWGE - where is the juice?

Also everyone keep in mind SW:GE is one park within a park. Hogsmeade and Diagon Alley are two separate parks within a park. To be more accurate one should compare SW:GE to just Hogsmeade or just Diagon Alley. I know that won't change people's opinions (i'm not trying to), but lumping together Hogsmeade and Diagon Alley is of course going to seem more impressive than just one park dedicated to Star Wars.

Well, neither is a park. They are both LANDS. They don't require separate admission. To me, a true "park within a park" has it's own gate and entry ticket, like the water park inside Legoland.
Also, Hogsmeade and Diagon Alley are connected by the train, making it one seamless experience, if you want to make it so. That is what we did. Started in Diagon Alley, then boarded the train to Hogsmeade. In that way, you basically mirror the story.

Well, neither is a park. They are both LANDS. They don't require separate admission. To me, a true "park within a park" has it's own gate and entry ticket, like the water park inside Legoland.
Also, Hogsmeade and Diagon Alley are connected by the train, making it one seamless experience, if you want to make it so. That is what we did. Started in Diagon Alley, then boarded the train to Hogsmeade. In that way, you basically mirror the story.
Call it land or park, you're still glossing over the point. SW:GE is one land, Hogsmeade and Diagon Alley are two lands. The train is cool, but after you've done it a few time it just becomes a mode of transportation that, to me personally, I don't feel like is worth the wait sometimes. They are still two separate experiences, and it does require two separate admissions to visit both, since one is in Universal and the other in Islands of Adventure.

I'm not trying to put down either land, I like them both and it is cool to go from one to the other. But SW:GE doesn't have the benefit of having a second land to keep the experience going. So again, the comparison is misleading and not entirely accurate.

Call it land or park, you're still glossing over the point. SW:GE is one land, Hogsmeade and Diagon Alley are two lands. The train is cool, but after you've done it a few time it just becomes a mode of transportation that, to me personally, I don't feel like is worth the wait sometimes. They are still two separate experiences, and it does require two separate admissions to visit both, since one is in Universal and the other in Islands of Adventure.

I'm not trying to put down either land, I like them both and it is cool to go from one to the other. But SW:GE doesn't have the benefit of having a second land to keep the experience going. So again, the comparison is misleading and not entirely accurate.

I'll piggy back on this is I did have to spend more money to get park hoppers (or whatever universal calls it) for our trip because we wanted to ride the train. If you don't have that you can't ride the train at all. Usually we get a 1 park per day with the kids tickets and spend the entire day in the park but there is extra cost for 'connecting' the two lands into once experience. When you take 5 people it adds up.

Again, each person is entitled to their opinion but this thread is basically becoming "I will counter your point with my point because my point is the right point".
If you have anything NEW to add by all means do, but this continued counter point argument that has been repeated I don't know how many times is wasteful.

Again, each person is entitled to their opinion but this thread is basically becoming "I will counter your point with my point because my point is the right point".
If you have anything NEW to add by all means do, but this continued counter point argument that has been repeated I don't know how many times is wasteful.

haha it's kinda becoming a iPhone vs. Android or Windows vs. Mac discussion :)

I did have a point to make...that SW:GE is one land and not two like HP, which is what everyone uses for comparison. It was thus far a friendly discussion too. Considering the entire topic is about the park supposedly being unimpressive, what do you expect?

I did have a point to make...that SW:GE is one land and not two like HP, which is what everyone uses for comparison. It was thus far a friendly discussion too. Considering the entire topic is about the park supposedly being unimpressive, what do you expect?
I'm fine with people adding new things, I'm just saying it's been a vicious circle of basically the same argument, for the most part.
I love GE, I explained my points I move on, if I read (because I have to read all the posts cause I'm a Moderator) a new point showing up and I don't agree with it, I post my views.
But some have just posted the same thing over and over again which makes it quiet obsessive and unnecessary.

I visited WWoHP in 2013, three years after its opening in 2010 and well before Diagon Alley was opened. We still had to get a time entry ticket (handed out on little slips of paper by team members standing at the entrance), even that long after its opening. Even when it was “just” one land, it was a dream come true for every fan that walked through those gates. I’m sure SWGE is for many Star Wars fans as well.

After visiting DL I found myself still wanting in a way I did not for the original WWoHP. I think the second ride will help a lot but that's where it is now. And I'm one who tried to get a trip if I could for Star Wars Weekends and absolutely loved them! Met @yulilin3 during one of those awesome weekends when her daughter was able to get an otherwise not offered picture with a certain Jedi. :cheer2:And she shared with me an extra 25th anniversary map of DHS that we had just missed out on. So nice! Those weekends just had an energy. SWGE, so far, did not for me in a way that other lands do. And we saw lots of roaming characters so that wasn't it exactly. As I've mentioned, I can take or leave Smugglers Run. The premise just isn't appealing enough for frequent repeats.

After visiting DL I found myself still wanting in a way I did not for the original WWoHP. I think the second ride will help a lot but that's where it is now. And I'm one who tried to get a trip if I could for Star Wars Weekends and absolutely loved them! Met @yulilin3 during one of those awesome weekends when her daughter was able to get an otherwise not offered picture with a certain Jedi. :cheer2:And she shared with me an extra 25th anniversary map of DHS that we had just missed out on. So nice! Those weekends just had an energy. SWGE, so far, did not for me in a way that other lands do. And we saw lots of roaming characters so that wasn't it exactly. As I've mentioned, I can take or leave Smugglers Run. The premise just isn't appealing enough for frequent repeats.
I miss SWW soooooo much

I remember my first Disney mainstreet experience. The wonder. The awe. The immersion .

Fast forward 40 years. I too was 7 when hope came out.....walking into galaxy's edge last week for the first time at Disneyland brought me back to the mainstreet moment. Its total immersion. The transition to the land was great and the entire experience was completely I'm the moment. It's not replicating any specific moment in the movies and that's the beauty to allow it be YOUR experience. Something familiar and unique at the same time. Ogas was our highlight--- hands down.

I remember my first Disney mainstreet experience. The wonder. The awe. The immersion .

Fast forward 40 years. I too was 7 when hope came out.....walking into galaxy's edge last week for the first time at Disneyland brought me back to the mainstreet moment. Its total immersion. The transition to the land was great and the entire experience was completely I'm the moment. It's not replicating any specific moment in the movies and that's the beauty to allow it be YOUR experience. Something familiar and unique at the same time. Ogas was our highlight--- hands down.

We are the exact same age. My mom took me to the first Star Wars movie in the theatre. I'bve been a fan ever since. I haven't seen Galaxy's Edge yet, but hubby and I are going in November so will check it out. I would rather that ROTR be open since Smuggler's run doesn't interest me much based on what I've read.

My DH does not follow every speck of news out of WDW like I do. He saw a blurb about the opening of SW:GE on the more news. He was confused by it and said “I thought this was supposed to be Star Wars Land. For some reason, he was getting the name confused with Guardians of the Galaxy. I explained to him the backstory of GE in detail. He has tempered his expectations now since the new movies are not very inspiring to him and the only familiar face will be Chewy and random Storm Troopers. I’m sure seeing the Falcon will impress but I’m glad he asked so he doesn’t complain when we get there.

I miss SWW soooooo much

Me too! I went to SWGE hoping there'd be some of those feels from SWW.

There were some! Saw lots of familiar faces. But the highlight was seeing Rey spying on the troopers that were patrolling the roof. Walking by Chewie was cool too.

I would have loved to see more characters.

The photopass ops are great!

The atmosphere was amazing.

My only real complaint was how hot it was and how the fans placed throughout really weren't enough. There was little air flow.

We are the exact same age. My mom took me to the first Star Wars movie in the theatre. I'bve been a fan ever since. I haven't seen Galaxy's Edge yet, but hubby and I are going in November so will check it out. I would rather that ROTR be open since Smuggler's run doesn't interest me much based on what I've read.
The holding area is AWESOME but way too short lived. Barely even have time to take in the moment of playing Dejarik on the MF . It was definitely fun to pilot with my wife opposite of me --- we were yelling at each other--just like real life!!! :) It was a lot of fun and the Cast Member upon entering -- said we were dismal---very true --- 29% haha. Bring Dramamine if you're flying with us.

I got to experience it for the first time yesterday AM during EEMH. As a fan since 1977 it was amazing for me. While I am an OT loyalist, I’m not a hater of the prequels or the sequels (but far prefer the latter). Seeing the Millennium Falcon for the first time brought literal tears to my eyes as I was suddenly a young child again, wanting to fly with Han and Chewie (and yell at C3PO!)

No, it’s not a planet I know (and search my posts if you care, I was majorly bummed about that) but I could spend hours walking around and looking at all the details. It is very “Star Wars” to me. I especially liked the roaming characters (we saw Chewie, Rey, storm troopers, a cranky First Order guy insisting all new droids need to be registered, and Kylo Ren). That was very reminiscent of SWW and I loved it.

I’m sorry that some fans don’t like it or are indifferent to it. DS16 moved on from SW several years ago :sad: but he appreciated it for what they did (and how Mom reacted- except the tears). I’m not going to try to sway anyone to come to my way of seeing it. Either you feel it or you don’t. But you’ll never sway me to feel your way either.

And...there it is. I just got a survey via email from my visit to Disneyland yesterday and they wanted me to talk about my experience in SWGE. I let them have it when they asked me what I liked "least" about the land. They wanted a detailed answer. I gave them one.

I was also asked a couple interesting, specific questions:

How much do you agree of disagree with these statements:
-"I felt like I was transported to the world of Star Wars."
-"Congestion/Crowding in certain areas of Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge made it difficult to move around/navigate the land."
(this one made me :rotfl2::rotfl2::rotfl2:---I mean, have they BEEN to DL recently?)

The next questions could be answered on a scale of 1 to 5, 1 being "Not a fan at all" and 5 being "Very big fan":
-How big a fan are you of Star Wars?
-How big a fan are you of Marvel?
-How big a fan are you of Disney in general?

They also asked about Boarding Group system and whether I liked it better than the option of waiting in a line to enter the land. I had to be honest and say I had no preference, because neither option has been relevant at Disneyland park.

I guess they are starting the surveying. By the way, I was not approached by anyone yesterday. I have received surveys about 50% of the time automatically after my park visits. I opted in with a survey taker several times in the past, and now they just show up in my inbox a day or so after my visits.

And...there it is. I just got a survey via email from my visit to Disneyland yesterday and they wanted me to talk about my experience in SWGE. I let them have it when they asked me what I liked "least" about the land. They wanted a detailed answer. I gave them one.

I was also asked a couple interesting, specific questions:

How much do you agree of disagree with these statements:
-"I felt like I was transported to the world of Star Wars."
-"Congestion/Crowding in certain areas of Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge made it difficult to move around/navigate the land."
(this one made me :rotfl2::rotfl2::rotfl2:---I mean, have they BEEN to DL recently?)

The next questions could be answered on a scale of 1 to 5, 1 being "Not a fan at all" and 5 being "Very big fan":
-How big a fan are you of Star Wars?
-How big a fan are you of Marvel?
-How big a fan are you of Disney in general?

They also asked about Boarding Group system and whether I liked it better than the option of waiting in a line to enter the land. I had to be honest and say I had no preference, because neither option has been relevant at Disneyland park.

I guess they are starting the surveying. By the way, I was not approached by anyone yesterday. I have received surveys about 50% of the time automatically after my park visits. I opted in with a survey taker several times in the past, and now they just show up in my inbox a day or so after my visits.
you let them have it? not understanding what you mean by this.

you let them have it? not understanding what you mean by this.

They wanted to know what I liked least about the land, so I told them. I don't like the lack of Star Wars area music, lack of good snack options, lack of familiarity of the land, lack of things to do that don't cost $$$$, lack of live entertainment/shows, lack of things to keep small children entertained. I said the MF ride mission was irrelevant and boring. I said the drinks at Oga's are too weak and too sweet for the price. I said the made up language resulted in some awkward and borderline rude CM interactions. I said they need more kid friendly foods.

I didn't, like, go off. I just was very clear about the aspects of the land that I don't like.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter