Amazing Race

I love TAR. It's my favorite "reality" show. It will be interesting to see how the show progresses with the filming time frame because of it being halted after it started.

I am a fan, especially seeing all the countries they visit. I am reserving judgment about the contestants for now, as the show manipulates a lot, but the youtube parents Kim and Penn get on my nerves.

Had to laugh at the flag cake challenge and several people not knowing who Boris Johnson was.

I love seeing all of the countries that they visit. However, the thing that bugged me about this episode is that they kept showing Buckingham Palace with the London Eye in the lower left corner. They Eye isn't sitting upon the palace. It's not far, but still a short walk away and across the Thames. It made me wonder how many times they show places that I haven't visited and are giving me false impressions about what I can see if I visit.

I wish that I knew about Little Ben when my DD and I visited. Big Ben had scaffolding all over it when we were there. It would have been nice for my DD to see a smaller representation of it.

The bobby thing had me laughing. Who better to ask when you're looking for something than a police officer? Yet, some teams kept running past him.

Finally got to watch. As usual there are teams that are favorites right now and ones I can’t stand and some in the middle. Too bad the police officers went first I liked them right away. I wish that had been the non elimination round. Also could not believe the people who did not know about the bobby and the guys who second guessed the mail thing.

Love Amazing Race. haven't watched the last few seasons, but prior to that, watched from the beginning, way back in the day. Used to be one of my must-watch, favorite competitions shows. This season looks promising, so I think I'll keep watching . I think the HOlderness family videos are HILARIOUS! I hope they make it pretty far along in the race.

Team Ryan here!
Followed his story after watching the documentaries.
Him and his dad seem like such amazingly nice people.
Recognized Ryan right off the bat.

I was shocked how many teams didn’t know who Boris Johnson was.

I was shocked how many teams didn’t know who Boris Johnson was.
I'm not. For us, being Canadian, we have a closer connection to the UK than the US has, so it's pretty natural that we have a decent awareness of Things That Happen there.

So Americans don't have as strong a connection there. And their "news" outlets tend to focus on domestic issues rather than international ones - which, given the size of the population, does actually make sense.

Last edited:
I'm not. For us, being Canadian, we have a closer connection to the UK than the US, so it's pretty natural that we have a decent awareness of Things That Happen there.

Americans don't have as strong a connection there. And their "news" outlets tend to focus on domestic issues rather than international ones - which, given the size of the population, does actually make sense.
I agree. I think most of know who is he now, but prepandemic, before he was in the international spotlight, I don’t think a lot did.

I agree. I think most of know who is he now, but prepandemic, before he was in the international spotlight, I don’t think a lot did.
That's what I was going to post. Granted I knew who he was from other things (in part thanks to Last Week Tonight lol) but most people's recent exposure to who he was is due to the pandemic. These first few episodes were filmed before it anyhow.

Also of note it's not as if Americans don't know anyone from outside the U.S. but just who we know is going to be likely a lot different than other countries just as other countries may have different leaders or well-known people they have more basic knowledge of. Pretty sure the news in the U.S. has talked a lot (like a lot lot) more about Putin than Boris Johnson and that's not necessarily a bad thing for Boris to not have been in the news here.

I'm not. For us, being Canadian, we have a closer connection to the UK than the US has, so it's pretty natural that we have a decent awareness of Things That Happen there.

So Americans don't have as strong a connection there. And their "news" outlets tend to focus on domestic issues rather than international ones - which, given the size of the population, does actually make sense.
Perhaps. But there was a lot of buzz around a large balloon and a state visit. Maybe that was prior to Boris.

TAR has always shown up Americans' ignorance about other places in the world. I remember when I was younger I was surprised that my Irish relatives knew a lot more about American politics than many Americans. I blame our education system and egocentric view of the world!

I think the U turns will be interesting. I said well you definitely can’t u-turn Spencer and Anthony. I can see it afterwards at the pit stop, “You u-turned the heroes?” You just can’t recover from that.

TAR has always shown up Americans' ignorance about other places in the world. I remember when I was younger I was surprised that my Irish relatives knew a lot more about American politics than many Americans. I blame our education system and egocentric view of the world!
Pre-pandemic, we hosted two lovely Danish HS students. I'm sure they were "smarter than the average bear", but I was blown away by their knowledge of the US. Not only did they speak English perfectly (with an accent, but no issues with pronunciation or comprehension), but they knew so much about our customs and culture. The boy, in particular, was very interested in US politics. He could discuss it, probably better than at least 90% of the US population, including my own kids. We had some fun, lively discussions.

As to AR, I'm sometimes embarrassed to be an American when the racers say things like, "Why doesn't our cab driver speak English?" Um, you're in India! (Thailand, Senegal, wherever).

"Why doesn't our cab driver speak English?" Um, you're in India! (Thailand, Senegal, wherever).
I totally agree with you there but I will also give credit that I've seen enough times where it's the taxi/cab/whatever driver who completely messes up the team, it's part of the game it happens but I can understand in a race situation where a language barrier can be frustrating, they are reliant on them getting them from place to place especially if the directions tell them they cannot walk and in the heat of the moment they are just concerned about going from a to b. Now as far as normal travel that one chooses? It's not a good look to complain about that.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter