Amazon drops price of Kindle

Very tempting!!!! Think I need to order my new phone and pay off my trip to Mickey's of Glendale first then order my Kindle. Priorities and all that. :sad2:

Very tempting!!!! Think I need to order my new phone and pay off my trip to Mickey's of Glendale first then order my Kindle. Priorities and all that. :sad2:

Don't you just hate it when you get all adult and responsible about stuff ?

:rotfl2::rotfl2:

If anyone is interested..I just bought a refurb from Amazon for $139! I've been wanting to get my daughter one for awhile and after I heard about the price drop I decided to check the refurbs. It is not the newest international wireless version, but is a Kindle 2 with US wireless. I have the exact same one and love it. :love: I bought mine exactly 1 year ago today when they were going for over $300 and have never regretted paying that price.

If anyone is interested..I just bought a refurb from Amazon for $139! I've been wanting to get my daughter one for awhile and after I heard about the price drop I decided to check the refurbs. It is not the newest international wireless version, but is a Kindle 2 with US wireless. I have the exact same one and love it. :love: I bought mine exactly 1 year ago today when they were going for over $300 and have never regretted paying that price.

$139 is a great deal. You absolutely can't go wrong at that price. I have two in the family already and would pick up a third, if not for the fact that I'll need someone to hand mine off to when the new Kindle comes out in August;)

I ordered one as soon as I saw the article online yesterday! In the article it did speculate that the price may drop more but I didn't want to wait.

Comes in tomorrow along with my new iPhone....big delivery day!!

Has anyone ordered travel books or any sort of graphic-heavy book on a Kindle?

I'm considering buying one, if only because I'd love to buy travel guides that way. Usually, I end up carrying 15lbs of guide books (and worrying about weight and space limits on the airlines) when I travel overseas. However, I can't seem to find a review or illustrations that show how graphics or photos appear on the screen.

I'd appreciate any thoughts!

I have been saving my Amazon gift certificates earned through various survey sites and such for months now for a Kindle, ever since I saw Kevin's at the DisMeet in December. I finally had enough in April, and then dithered for months about it...because we could use the money for Christmas presents, or whatever instead...I have a hard time buying stuff just for myself without feeling guilty.

Last weekend, DH said, just buy the Kindle, you've been working really hard and you deserve it - so I did. :cloud9: And of course the dropped the price the very next day! :eek: It hadn't shipped yet, since I also bought a leather cover and opted for the free shipping, so I contacted Amazon via their email form requesting a refund of the $70 price difference. 12 hours later, they got back to me and credited my account! It was really easy!

The Kindle shipped Thursday, so I should have it in-hand this week. I can't wait!!! :banana: DH even hinted he would get me an Oberon cover for my birthday in October. :goodvibes

Won't help.

Kindle is done.

I'm sure it will still have its fans, like vinyl record albums and film cameras do...but the iPad and the soon-to-come iPad knock-offs will replace the Kindle.

There won't be enough fans to support the continuation of the Kindle as it is.

Won't help.

Kindle is done.

I'm sure it will still have its fans, like vinyl record albums and film cameras do...but the iPad and the soon-to-come iPad knock-offs will replace the Kindle.

Have you used a Kindle and / or and iPad?

Just curious as you speak with such authority on the subject.

By the way....I completely disagree with your assumptions.

iPad, yes. (it is very difficult to start a sentence with an Apple product, because of that lower-case letter business.) Almost everyone I know has an iPad, but I've been burned before and am still holding out for second generation which I expect will be out for Christmas, but we'll see.

I've played with e-readers in the bookstore, but haven't actually known anyone who had one.

It is, of course, my opinion. I could be wrong. I don't think I am. I don't end every post with, "This is my opinion and I know others could have other opinions", but neither does anyone else.

Unless the e-readers change things up, they will be dead in the water. When something better comes along, the old stuff always just dies off. The iPad (and things like it) won't be new in a few years. Almost everyone will have one. And nobody will have the need for another thing that does 1 of the things their Pad (or whatever) does.

I'm sure there will still be a few e-reader fans, but not enough to support an industry.

They dropped the price for a reason. It wasn't because they suddenly decided they wanted to make less or because they're just such nice people. They already know they have to do something if they're going to compete in any way.

My opinion is that the price reductions won't help. You think they will.

I don't want to argue and there's no need, really. In ten years, we can just see if the e-readers are still around in their current forms. And if I turn out to have been wrong, I will surely say so. :)

iPad, yes. (it is very difficult to start a sentence with an Apple product, because of that lower-case letter business.) Almost everyone I know has an iPad, but I've been burned before and am still holding out for second generation which I expect will be out for Christmas, but we'll see.

I've played with e-readers in the bookstore, but haven't actually known anyone who had one.

It is, of course, my opinion. I could be wrong. I don't think I am. I don't end every post with, "This is my opinion and I know others could have other opinions", but neither does anyone else.

Unless the e-readers change things up, they will be dead in the water. When something better comes along, the old stuff always just dies off. The iPad (and things like it) won't be new in a few years. Almost everyone will have one. And nobody will have the need for another thing that does 1 of the things their Pad (or whatever) does.

I'm sure there will still be a few e-reader fans, but not enough to support an industry.

They dropped the price for a reason. It wasn't because they suddenly decided they wanted to make less or because they're just such nice people. They already know they have to do something if they're going to compete in any way.

I don't want to argue and there's no need, really. In ten years, we can just see if the e-readers are still around in their current forms. And if I turn out to have been wrong, I will surely say so. :)

I dont consider this an argument, I just disagree with what you're saying.

I own both a Kindle and an iPad and I see a market for both.

Cameras and iPods continue to flourish, yet both can be found bundled into a telephone.

It's my belief that there is a large market that still wants single use devices.

Reading on a Kindle becomes a very "book like" experience almost immediately. The device disappears and it's very similar to reading a book.

This doesnt happen when reading on an iPad. The iPad is heavier and cumbersome to hold for long periods of reading....unless you are one of the people on TV who sits and holds their iPad in their lap while sipping coffee.

Unfortunately, I'm one of those people who reads anywhere and everywhere...especially in bed. This makes the iPad a far less comfortable reading experience. The thought never really leaves my mind that I kinda cant wait to put the thing down.

Also....iPads are very difficult to read outside. KIndle reads very well out doors.

You are correct....in ten years....we might all might beusing something entirely different. I watched a thing on TV the other day that stated that the new thing would be "computer glasses".

It's my opinion that the iPad and the Kindle (or other ereader of your choice) both have a place in the market.

My prediction is that you will see the hardware drop in price and just become a vehicle for selling books and other types of media....much like the VCR, DVD player and Blue Ray players before them.

When DVD players came out, they were hundreds of dollars. Now you can buy one for $39 in Walmart.

Won't help.

Kindle is done.

Sorry but I don't subscribe to your opinion at all. ipads and tablet pcs are a totally different, and more expensive market than ereaders. You don't need to bundle everything into one appliance.

The price drop(s) was more about the Kindle vs Nook in the ereader market than anything else. ereaders are not dead. There will definately be some that don't stay on the playing field because they are inferior products. I'll be back in 10 years to check on it ok? ;)

I still think I'm right. I hear what you all are saying, but I think that these new devices are the beginning of the future...and in that future, the e-readers as they are will be dead.

Me thinking I'm right is not a new thing in my life. I've been wrong before and I'll be wrong again. But (lol) I don't think I'm wrong on this one. The price drop on the Kindle is just the beginning.

And you all think you're right.

Time will tell.

I'm glad it is just a difference of opinion and not an argument. :cool1: That doesn't happen much. Thank you for no name-calling and no drop-in people talking about cake. Difference of opinion is nice and welcome, but coming without insults and rudeness is rare. :) :wizard:

IMHO, unless they cut the weight of the iPad dramatically and bring it in line with the Kindle, I could never use it as a book reader - and I have read dozens of books on the Kindle, and read newspapers and other periodicals on it daily. I tried doing the same with the iPad, and didn't last more than 20 minutes.

My prediction is that you will see the hardware drop in price and just become a vehicle for selling books and other types of media....much like the VCR, DVD player and Blue Ray players before them.

When DVD players came out, they were hundreds of dollars. Now you can buy one for $39 in Walmart.

That's what I'm hoping for, do I dare admit that I paid $400 for my first VCR, that I HAD to have to watch Luke and Laura - yes I am dating myself.

Sorry but I don't subscribe to your opinion at all. ipads and tablet pcs are a totally different, and more expensive market than ereaders. You don't need to bundle everything into one appliance.

I need everything in one appliance - I actually would love an eReader, but with all the traveling I do, I just can not deal with one more thing to carry around. So, I "suffer" with four different eReader apps on my iPhone. It is not the best for reading, the screen is small and you "turn" the pages a lot, but it works for me, for now.
If they had more of the magazines I read I would probably breakdown and buy one.

That being said, I really, really, really want an iPad - any chance of one getting into the prize-matron???

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter