AMC Dine-in Theater UPDATE: Review Added - Post #14!

*NikkiBell*

Livin’ that DVC & AP life!
Has anyone ever been to the new Dine-in Theaters by AMC? One opened up by me recently and I'm curious to try it. How does it work?

UPDATE: Review in Post #14

I'm curious too, especially since the Downtown Disney AMC is converting to it as well.

We have a movie theater here called Cinema Cafe...it's a theater that serves food before and during the movie. It's quite nice...you go in, find a table you want to sit at. The menues are there, you order what you want and a server brings it to you. I like this seating, because I feel it's more comfortable...the only drawback for me is the prices of the food is outrageous !!!! The food choices are ok, but the food isn't that great sometimes.

We have one here in Denver called the Cinnebarre, although it's not an AMC, but the same general idea. There is a long table in front of each row of chairs, and there are menus. Before and during the movie you can order food and drinks to be brought to you. If you need something during the movie, you stick your little order sheet sticking up and they come and grab it. I really thought it'd be a distraction, but I honestly didn't even notice them walking around. It was nice! The food is kinda just bar food...hamburgers, wings, fries...but I really enjoyed being able to have a drink while watching the movie!

I'm in the same area as Cherinva and have been to Cinema Cafe, but I'm not a huge fan.

We also have Cinebistro, which is aimed more at the 21+ crowd (have to be over 21 to enter after 7pm) and I love it. The food is expensive, yes, but they have a good menu, lots of wines/beers/drinks to choose from and you can bowl or sit at the bar before the movie starts. It's obviously fancier than Cinema Cafe, but I like it for that reason. Also, the theatre is stadium style, with side tables and trays that swing in front of your seat, whereas Cinema Cafe is more long tables (and some small, round tables). I like the seating in Cinebistro better.

When we lived in SouthFL, there was a theatre in Boca that had dining as well. You went upstairs and sat on a balcony that opened to the theatre, with the standard seats below you. They also had a restaurant/bar upstairs, so you could eat/drink before the movie or during. The one in Boca is 21+ all of the time, which was especially nice on opening weekend for movies like Harry Potter because you don't end up sitting squeezed in between 13 year olds pretending to do spells on each other. :rotfl:

I really do love the concept of dining/movie venues. It is good for us because DH & I can go to dinner and a movie in less time when we need to squeeze in a date night.

We have a theatre around here called Movie Tavern. Same idea. Long tables, with individual chairs behind them. You order (in general) before the movie, but if you need anything during the movie, you have a red light that you turn on to let the server know you need them. I agree with Cathie, I thought it would be distracting, but it really isn't.

The menu is "OK", although it tends to be more carb-intensive foods than I generally care for. But for the convenience factor of not having to go to dinner and *then* run to the theatre? It's great! I'm a big fan of the concept. I wonder if any of our AMC's will convert?

Sayhello

Nikki- Jay's brother knows about this. Since he is an AMC GM and all. Most of them if not all AMC dine and movie experinces is for 21 and older as to not have it ruined by immature teens and children. The food is, like others have said, a little expensive, but it should be interesting to try. I am sort of turned off by wait staff interrupting the movie. Will have to see what happenns.

Okay, how lame is it that I'm going to be at WDW when the new AMC Dine-In Theater opens....and am thinking about going? :goodvibes

we have an AMC the next town over in Bridgewater, NJ

My husband and I went to see a movie in January, it has it good points and bad points to it. Your best bet is to prepurchase your tickets, you buy them at an automated kiosk and select your exact seats much like you would for a concert or show. This is a great feature as you don't have to rush to the theater to get a "good seat". Based on the day of the week, (weekends are more) you pay for your movie ticket plus a "food upcharge". In our case it was $10 for the movie ticket and $25 per person for the food charge. The $25 is then applied towards any food and/or drink you have. We ate on the light side, I had a Bloody Mary and a Cobb Salad. My husband had a beer and a chicken tender dinner. We were just around the $50 food charge so it cost us little extra.

The food was decent but I didn't care for the way we had to sit and eat, a salad was not a good choice as the table was small and narrow and I had to lean forward to eat it. Next time I'll go with a better finger food choice! The waiters glide around the theather with little distraction they bring you your bill about 20 mins before the movie ends so you can just get up and go when it's over.

I plan on going again to see the new Hangover movie because I know it will be crowded and I want to enjoy the movie with a mature audience and not fight for a seat. At least one person in your party must be 21 to get someone under 18 in. For example my 17 year old daughter is not allowed to go to the movies there with her 18 year old boyfriend. They are very strict about it although I'm not sure exactly how they check your age.

hope this helps! :)

I've never heard of this. Sounds like a great idea. Not sure I'd use it since we don't go to movie theathers. I think the last time we went, we saw 102 Dalmations!

Years ago, we had a place like this in Sarasota.

It was called "Pictures and Pitchers". (clever, huh ? :tilt:)

There were rows and rows of small tables each with a small lamp in the center that would dim as the movie started.

The menu was standard "fern bar" fare, chicken wings, nacho platters, burgers, fried cheese sticks, etc. They also served beer (by the 'pitcher', of course) and sangria and wine by the glass.

It was all great fun at the time. Problem was, after the lights went down, the under age set had no problem dumping their Cokes out and filling their glasses with beer from their older friends at the next table over.

The waitresses tried to stop this, but is was pretty much a losing battle. By the time the movie was over and the lights came back up, it was pretty obvious you had a roomful of soused 15 year olds having a dandy old time.

They lost their liquor licence once, somehow managed to get it back, but then lost it for good and soon the place was just a memory.

But, a very fond one. Especially for the folks that weren't old enough to drink yet.

(ahem) :rolleyes1

We have 3 of those type theaters around here called Chunky's! Their screens have been updated lately so they are even better! You can even see 3D at them now! We love them! You do need to get to the movie about 45 minutes before it starts to order your food and drinks. The food at ours is excellent with quite a variety to choose from. They have light up coasters that you press when you want more drinks or more popcorn! Had DD10s b'day party there several years ago and it was fantastic!

My BFF went to the dine in at DTD last month and really liked it! She said they even had Butter beer!

TTFN :tigger:

After talking about it here yesterday, I decided to "take one for the team" and head over to the new AMC Dine-in Theaters nearby. I have to admit, I was definitely a little bit intimidated upon walking in. Bright lights, metal fixtures, and club-style lounge chairs fill the opening space of the theater. In fact, one might not even know that this was a movie theater upon first looking around.

amc3.jpg

In the front of the space are electronic ticketing machines. These can be used to check the balance of an AMC gift card, purchase tickets for that day, or to purchase tickets for an upcoming show. All major credit cards and AMC gift cards were accepted. This is also where you select what seat you would like in the theater. I was surprised at this feature. Normally when one goes to the movies, seats are picked at random based on how early you arrive. With this added component, it is safe to say that one could purchase tickets and choose a prime seat days before seeing a show. Nice!

Those patrons who were uncomfortable using the machines could visit the guest services desk nearby. While in the lobby area, I noticed that most people opted for the electronic machines after they stared in awe at all around them. A bar called MacGuffins sat in the dead center of the lobby and served cocktails of many types. A full-time bartender is there attending to everyone's needs.

amc2.jpg

Just past the bar sat the restrooms. Now, I know what you're thinking: Why on Earth would she bring up the potty area? Because it was that cool! I was very impressed to see that all of the fixtures were the newest in advanced technology included the new Dyson Airblade Hand Dryers. These babies force hot air through a HEPA filter before drying your hands. Not only does it make things completely sanitary, but also dries all moisture within seconds. Very impressive!

airblade.JPG

Upon entering the theater area, I was grateful to see that everything was clearly marked. Large numbers were printed on the carpets to let patrons know what theater they were entering and the various rows of seating inside. The seats themselves were incredible: made of leather and reclined slightly. There was also a table area that pulled in front of you complete with a menu and cloth napkin-rolled utensils. Small lights were installed towards the shoulder area by each seat to help everyone see once the film began. A call button is also available to alert your waiter that you would like to order. This can be done before or during the film. You do not need to arrive early.

amc.jpg

The theater offers two dining options: Fork & Screen and Cinema Suites. The first is a casual setting that does allow children below the age of 18 as long as they are accompanied by an adult. Certain films will not allow any children in after 6 pm to ensure a complete, "undisturbed" experience. The menu is varied and includes snacks, cocktails, salads, appetizers, and entrees. Be forewarned, prices are a bit high, but the food was fresh and made to order. I thoroughly enjoyed my meal.

The Cinema Suites is coined as AMC's "fine dining" and offers a more extensive menu. No guests under the age of 21 are permitted inside the theater at any time. The seats and tables are similar, but the chairs actually recline further than those in Fork & Screen theaters.

Here's the menu for Fork & Screen:
http://www.amctheatres.com/uploadedF...2010.pdf?n=673

I have yet to find an AMC Dine-In with the Cinema Suites upscale dining option, but here's their menu:
http://www.amctheatres.com/uploadedF...010.pdf?n=5293

Overall, I found the AMC Dine-in to be an excellent experience. The seating and food were great. The servers were also prompt and did not interrupt your viewing of the film unless you needed them. And the best part? The price. I paid $6 for a matinée in this wonderful theater (plus the cost of food). AMC could easily get away with charging a higher fee. Let's not tell them though. ;) I'm excited that a theater like this will be opening at Downtown Disney in May. I think that it is a welcome addition and a great option on a rainy day.

EDIT: I returned May 15th to see a new release film. It cost $9 as a result. Still, it was well worth it. I also wanted to add that I noticed this time they dimmed the lights more than during my first visit. Similarly, I also had a different experience with the seating. The theater was packed because of the popularity of the film so someone sat next to me this time. I arrived and ordered first. Originally, I thought it'd be weird having my food delivered before hers, but it actually wasn't. The seats are so large and roomy that this was not an issue at all. :thumbsup2 all around!

Hey Nikki...thanks on the review...we appreciate you taking one for the team....only one thing....what movie did you see?

The Cinema Suites is coined as AMC's "fine dining" and offers a more extensive menu. No guests under the age of 21 are permitted inside the theater at any time. The seats and tables are similar, but the chairs actually recline further than those in Fork & Screen theaters. A sample menu for each dining option is available on AMC's website.

Overall, I found the AMC Dine-in to be an excellent experience. The seating and food were great. The servers were also prompt and did not interrupt your viewing of the film unless you needed them. And the best part? The price. I paid $6 for a matinée in this wonderful theater (plus the cost of food). AMC could easily get away with charging a higher fee. Let's not tell them though. ;) I'm excited that a theater like this will be opening at Downtown Disney in May. I think that it is a welcome addition and a great option on a rainy day.

My DH and I received a gift card for Christmas that we finally decided to use tonight to enjoy a movie in the Cinema Suites.

First of all. I have four teenagers and I am not a kid hater. But I loved going to a movie where I didn't have to worry about a teen with poor manners texting during the movie. I love that there is no one under 21 allowed. Makes for a very special evening for me & DH.

Now for the recliners. They are fabulous. In fact we chatted with the waiter before the meal. We were joking that we would have to becareful not to fall asleep they were so comfy. Well, he said there has been more than one occasion where they had to wake people up after a movie. These chairs are big so if you are a fluffy person there is no worry about cramming your self in a tiny chair. They have a button on the side that reclines them and these chairs fully recline so that you are practically laying down if you are fully reclined. One warning though; choose a lower level aisle. I purchased our tickets late and we were on the last row. The wall that seperates the rows partially blocked the bottom of the screen. I spoke with the manager after the movie and suggested they install some type of transparent wall (plexiglass or cable) so your view of the screen isn't obstructed.

Food: The food was very good. Not gourmet but so much better than any of the other dine in movie places we have here in the Dallas area. I would say it was the equivalent of a Fridays or Chillis restaurant. We had Queso and Chips, a swiss burger, a prime rib sandwhich, gourmet popcorn (small serving which is complimentary to all patrons), tea and two crown and cokes and our total before tip was $49.

Now for the price. now remember it was an evening movie on a Friday night. The tickets were $15 each. I will gladly pay it again for a wonderful evening out with my DH.

I'm glad you enjoyed it! I found the full pricing details:

Fork & Screen Pricing: Monday - Thursday

Shows starting before 6pm: Adult - $6.00; Child - $6.00
Shows starting 6pm and later: Adult - $9.00; Child $6.00
Excludes Holiday Periods & Weekday Film Openings

Fork & Screen Pricing: Friday, Saturday, Sunday & Holiday Periods

Shows starting before 12pm: Adult - $6.00; Child - $6.00
Shows starting 12pm - 3:55pm: Adult - $9.00; Child - $6.00
Shows starting after 4pm: Adult - $12.00; Child $9.00

Cinema Suites Pricing (21 & Over): Friday, Saturday, Sunday & Holiday Periods

Shows starting before 12pm: $9.00
Shows starting from 12pm - 3:55pm: $12.00
Shows starting 4pm and later: $15.00

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter