America

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wouldn't that be the other way around? Why would people in Wyoming, Montana, etc bother to vote when it would be decided by CA, NY, FL and TX? We are 50 individual states with differing needs/wants and have an equal say to who is elected. The heavy populated states don't always know what's best for the rest of the country and those smaller states have just as much right as the larger states do.

Yes, however even though the smaller states have fewer electoral votes, each of those votes carries proportionately more weight, based on population. For example, one electoral vote in Wyoming represents about 190,000 people, while each electoral vote in California represents over 700,000 people. *

Same with the Senate, where every state (regardless of population) has two senators. Senators from smaller states have as much influence as those from populous states, who represent the interests of far more people.

And as previously mentioned, it is handful of swing states that effectively determine the outcome of presidential elections. States that are solidly red or blue (including both large and small states) are essentially ignored by candidates, because they are assumed as a given. Thus campaigning is heavily focused on the “purple” swing states.

Whether any of this is good or bad, fair or unfair, depends on your personal perspective. It’s the system we have and not likely to ever change.

*Source:
https://usafacts.org/visualizations/electoral-college-states-representation/

Ahh yes, yet another thrilling American boot strap story of success. Proving yet again that if your daddy is (checks notes) already wealthy from the labor of the poorest people on a continent, you too are just any other African American immigrant. America has really never been shy about embracing the already wealthy though have we. We are like a street corner hooker I swear.
Yep, everyone always loves to hate on America until there is a major war. Then amazingly overnight everyone seems to want to be our friends again, it's funny how that works.

Spain, Asia, and America is the correct answer. Why on earth would the leave the utopia of socialized medicine in England for healthcare in another country? I thought their system was great?
Judging a system based on how the ultra wealthy use it probably isn’t a good metric. I understand why critics would go down this road but we should be talking about the average citizen instead of the Lear jet crowd.

Judging a system based on how the ultra wealthy use it probably isn’t a good metric. I understand why critics would go down this road but we should be talking about the average citizen instead of the Lear jet crowd.
agree to disagree. Those that have the most options will most often choose the best options for them. If Brits have it so incredible, why do many come to America to have their knee replacement done? Because our technology is some of the best on planet earth, and they can get an appointment with an expert on the surgery in a matter of weeks!

Last edited:
Yep, everyone always loves to hate on America until there is a major war. Then amazingly overnight everyone seems to want to be our friends again, it's funny how that works.

agree to disagree. Those that have the most options will most often choose the best options. If Brits have it so incredible, why do many come to America to have their knee replacement done? Because our technology is some of the best on planet earth!
Yes we know. You're amazing and perfect and the rest of the world sucks.

It's also racist, in an "all lives matter" kind of way. People who say things like that are so transparent, or ignorant. Or both.
Genuinely asking and not trying to stoke the flames but I have a friend who was born in South Africa, grew up in South Africa, spent the majority of her life in South Africa and has recently moved to America where she plans to become a citizen eventually. How would you identify her? I never have heard anyone identified as a South African American. I understand the cultural norm of who the term African American typically refers to, but I always thought I should identify her as an African American as she is an African person who has become an American. But based on what is being said here, the only reason she should not be identified as such is because she's not dark skinned.

Yes we know. You're amazing and perfect and the rest of the world sucks.
I love Canada, what a beautiful country. I was just in Surrey BC a few weeks back doing some testing in a high tech electrical lab. I personally didn't care for the rampant drug use in the open on the streets, but I guess all countries have that in some of their cities. Had an incredible meal in a Greek restaurant there! I had a great time and would love to come back and visit some more when my schedule allows it.

Genuinely asking and not trying to stoke the flames but I have a friend who was born in South Africa, grew up in South Africa, spent the majority of her life in South Africa and has recently moved to America where she plans to become a citizen eventually. How would you identify her? I never have heard anyone identified as a South African American. I understand the cultural norm of who the term African American typically refers to, but I always thought I should identify her as an African American as she is an African person who has become an American. But based on what is being said here, the only reason she should not be identified as such is because she's not dark skinned.
African immigrant would work I would think, or just do what my French grandmother did and simply call herself an American.

Last edited:
Genuinely asking and not trying to stoke the flames but I have a friend who was born in South Africa, grew up in South Africa, spent the majority of her life in South Africa and has recently moved to America where she plans to become a citizen eventually. How would you identify her? I never have heard anyone identified as a South African American. I understand the cultural norm of who to use African American for her, but I always thought I should identify her as an African American.
The term African-American has been, rightly or wrongly, meant to identify persons of color. Someone upthread pointed to a definition and to how the term is meant to be applied.

To deliberately and arrogantly use the term to refer to white people from Africa, especially when trying to prove that "they're not all Black" is further insult to the meaning behind the term, much like "all lives matter" pushes the idea that for centuries Black lives didn't matter, at least in the same way.

Why not call your friend (I'm assuming she's white) South African-American? Africa is made up of many countries.

Whatever she feels comfortable with. As soon as she has citizenship, just American would be fine too.

Last edited:
agree to disagree. Those that have the most options will most often choose the best options. If Brits have it so incredible, why do many come to America to have their knee replacement done? Because our technology is some of the best on planet earth!
The money they have gets them help immediately and the bill doesn't bother them as much as the average citizen.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter