American cinema question.

parkgoer

Earning My Ears
Don't know which forum to put this - feel free to move it.

Could someone from the USA please help me...

In the USA, if a movie's start time is listed as 6pm, does that mean the movie will start at 6pm with ads & trailers before that time or is 6pm the start of the ads/trailers and the actual movie will start later, after the ads & trailers? How long do ads/trailers generally run in US cinemas? I'm talking specifically about the cinema in Disney Springs.

Forgive me, I'm not from the USA and in different countries I've seen both these ways of listing a movie's start time.

Last movie I went to was at least 25 minutes of ads and trailers before the movie- very frustrating.

Last movie I went to was at least 25 minutes of ads and trailers before the movie- very frustrating.

Yep, around here, it's often closer to half an hour. Ads, trivia quizzes, the cutesy animated announcements telling you to turn off your cell phone and refrain from talking during the movie, then the trailers. But it depends on the theater and how long the movie has been out. IME, if you go opening weekend for a movie, you may see as many as 6 or 7 trailers, whereas if you wait several weeks, you'll get fewer trailers, maybe only 2 or 3.

Last edited:

Also be aware that not all theatres in the US have assigned seating (I'm not sure about the one in Disney Springs). So if they don't have assigned seating you probably need to get there early to get a good seat.

It really depends on the theater. What the "start" time is has morphed over the years. I remember when local ads would be shown using a slide projector. Often the start wouldn't begin until the projectionist would arrive to start the equipment, and that could be delayed because it required moving from one projection room to another. These days it's very precise when the start time when the trailers start, but it can be an eternity before the actual movie begins.

These days it's digital projectors where all the programming is stored on hard or solid state drives. At this point I'd think some maybe use a central, shared database. All programming is automated and can be started/modified remotely, so it will probably start on time.

There might be a series of semi advertisements and programs that start well before the scheduled start time, so don't be surprised if you walk into the auditorium and there's something on the screen. The one that's shown around many of the chains around here is FirstLook.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_CineMedia

If the start time of a movie is listed as 7:15 PM we would get there at least 30 minutes earlier than that if there is no reserved seating. I like an aisle seat. If the theatre has reserved seating then I show up to my seat about 10 minute early just to get settled. The trailers usually start at 7:15 and last about 20 minutes or so then the movie will start. I am one of the few, I think, that actually enjoys all the trailers...not the ads but I love seeing the coming attractions for new movies.

MJ

Don't know which forum to put this - feel free to move it.

Could someone from the USA please help me...

In the USA, if a movie's start time is listed as 6pm, does that mean the movie will start at 6pm with ads & trailers before that time or is 6pm the start of the ads/trailers and the actual movie will start later, after the ads & trailers? How long do ads/trailers generally run in US cinemas? I'm talking specifically about the cinema in Disney Springs.

Forgive me, I'm not from the USA and in different countries I've seen both these ways of listing a movie's start time.

6pm is the start time for the trailers they put with the movie. On average, we're getting more and more trailers. But the time it takes to get through them may be longer or shorter. The theater will run other ads are running beforehand. Depending on theater, seating may be first come first served or reserved. Still others may be reserved for huge movies on their first weekend of release and first come first served for others. Check with your theater.

I work at a movie theater. We have a small pre-show showing before the start time of the movie with trivia, some ads, etc. Then the previews, then the movie.

So say a movie starts at 6:00 PM. At 5:45 PM, we generally start letting customers into the theater and the pre-show is playing. At 6:00 PM, the 15 minutes of previews begin. Then, at 6:15, the actual movie will start.

We do edit the pre-show and trailers for special events/big movies, like Star Wars, etc.

A pretty typical experience - went to the movies yesterday, got the to the theather at 12 for a 12:10 showing. I got a green tea and my ticket at the same time (they were selling tickets at concessions because it was the first movie of the day). I came in during the pre-show, about 12:07. A couple of minutes and the previews started exactly at showing time. I arrive early for crowded times/movies but otherwise, I just try to be in the theater when the previews start, but also don't care if I miss them. I'm NOT a get there early person though. In fact, when traveling with a bunch of nervous nellies who have to get to the airport super early, I just meet them there - or at least I do for early flights.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter