American College of Pediatricians issues Gardasil concern

Of note, the American College of Pediatricians is a relatively small (60 to 200 members), socially conservative organization founded in 2002 that also doesn't support comprehensive sex education and adoption by same-sex couples. They have been frequently accused of mischaracterizing or mis-using research to support things like the idea that schools should deny support to gay teenagers. No less than researchers at the NIH have accused them of misleading parents and children.

(All of that information is from the wiki article with citations to various cases: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_College_of_Pediatricians)

They are decidedly not the American Academy of Pediatrics, founded in 1930 and the true national professional group for pediatricians. The AAP recommends this particular vaccine: https://www.aap.org/en-us/about-the...-HPV-Vaccines-For-Both-Males-and-Females.aspx

I'll tell you what made me decide to get the vaccine for DD. I've known some young women who had to deal with HPV, which is rampant now, unlike when I was young and it was virtually unheard of. The effects can be devastating. Some people say, teach your daughter to abstain and she has nothing to worry about. And then I thought of the friends I had who were raped. Some of them had been virgins. They had no way of vetting their "partners" to check their sexual history and if my DD were raped, her odds of exposure to HPV would be very high. My DD might be able to control HER actions, but she cannot control other people. Cervical cancer could kill her and we weren't taking that chance. That's what it boiled down to.

I'll tell you what made me decide to get the vaccine for DD. I've known some young women who had to deal with HPV, which is rampant now, unlike when I was young and it was virtually unheard of. The effects can be devastating. Some people say, teach your daughter to abstain and she has nothing to worry about. And then I thought of the friends I had who were raped. Some of them had been virgins. They had no way of vetting their "partners" to check their sexual history and if my DD were raped, her odds of exposure to HPV would be very high. My DD might be able to control HER actions, but she cannot control other people. Cervical cancer could kill her and we weren't taking that chance. That's what it boiled down to.

My dd has also been vaccinated. We've known 2 men and one woman with cancers caused by this virus.

In fact, dds pediatrician said "This vaccine would prevent the type of cancer xxx has." That was all I needed to hear. We both knew the man in our community and his awful, long battle with throat cancer twice finally got him.

Last edited:

Of note, the American College of Pediatricians is a relatively small (60 to 200 members), socially conservative organization founded in 2002 that also doesn't support comprehensive sex education and adoption by same-sex couples. They have been frequently accused of mischaracterizing or mis-using research to support things like the idea that schools should deny support to gay teenagers. No less than researchers at the NIH have accused them of misleading parents and children.

(All of that information is from the wiki article with citations to various cases: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_College_of_Pediatricians)

They are decidedly not the American Academy of Pediatrics, founded in 1930 and the true national professional group for pediatricians. The AAP recommends this particular vaccine: https://www.aap.org/en-us/about-the...-HPV-Vaccines-For-Both-Males-and-Females.aspx

I was hoping someone would point out the obvious. Don't confuse ACP with AAP. The AAP is the group that speaks for the vast majority of pediatricians in this country, for good reason.

While I wholeheartedly believe in many, if not most childhood vaccinations I also believe that you shouldn't be a lemur and follow "just because you are told by a doctor". All vaccinations are not created equal, and individuals have a right to decide what they are putting into their or their loved ones bodies. A co worker of my husbands who died of the flu shot has made me rethink forced vaccinating, which his job required. It may be rare but if it happens to your loved one, rare means nothing.

I have no idea what the American College of Paediatricians stands for.

A
While I wholeheartedly believe in many, if not most childhood vaccinations I also believe that you shouldn't be a lemur and follow "just because you are told by a doctor". All vaccinations are not created equal, and individuals have a right to decide what they are putting into their or their loved ones bodies. A co worker of my husbands who died of the flu shot has made me rethink forced vaccinating, which his job required. It may be rare but if it happens to your loved one, rare means nothing.

I have no idea what the American College of Paediatricians stands for.

That is so terrible! How soon after the shot did he die? I know of a three people who received the flu and pnemonia shot together and had serious reactions.

A

That is so terrible! How soon after the shot did he die? I know of a three people who received the flu and pnemonia shot together and had serious reactions.

To be honest it was approximately 7 years ago so I'm not sure. My husband isn't home to ask but his memory is like Dory the fish so I don't dare ask him.

I haven't, nor have my children, had a flu shot since. None of us have also contracted the flu, knock wood.

I'm usually 100% pro-vax and on time, but I've held off on Gardasil. I worried about the long term effects that might not become known until the vaxed pop is of reproductive age. It's been around for a long time now and so far has seemed safe, so I'm getting more comfortable with DDs getting it. I still have a few years to decide for sure.

I'm usually 100% pro-vax and on time, but I've held off on Gardasil. I worried about the long term effects that might not become known until the vaxed pop is of reproductive age. It's been around for a long time now and so far has seemed safe, so I'm getting more comfortable with DDs getting it. I still have a few years to decide for sure.

I personally feel that we won't really know the true side effects until these children who are currently being vaccinated become adults and begin trying to conceive. Already I have read reports of premature menopause after getting the shots.

I hesitated a long time with this shot but then finally had my girls get them because like someone up thread stated it's others that we can't control. My DD17 got her last series in December, and my DD20 gets her last shot this month.

I really did struggle with making this decision, I talked to them about it, but they had no clue and were like whatever mom. I hope they have no adverse effects. But with any vaccine there is always someone who does :sad1:.

I'm not sure I will get this for my DS15. I think the boy's vaccine is newer.

Reactions: HM
"Adverse events that occur after vaccines are frequently not caused by the vaccine and there has not been a noticeable rise in POF cases in the last 9 years since HPV4 vaccine has been widely used.

Nevertheless there are legitimate concerns that should be addressed: (1) long-term ovarian function was not assessed in either the original rat safety studies3,4 or in the human vaccine trials, (2) most primary care physicians are probably unaware of a possible association between HPV4 and POF and may not consider reporting POF cases or prolonged amenorrhea (missing menstrual periods) to the Vaccine Adverse Event Reporting System (VAERS), (3) potential mechanisms of action have been postulated based on autoimmune associations with the aluminum adjuvant used and previously documented ovarian toxicity in rats from another component, polysorbate 80,2 and (4) since licensure of Gardasil® in 2006, there have been about 213 VAERS reports (per the publicly available CDC WONDER VAERS database) involving amenorrhea, POF or premature menopause, 88% of which have been associated with Gardasil®. (5)The two-strain HPV2,CervarixTM, was licensed late in 2009 and accounts for 4.7 % of VAERS amenorrhea reports since 2006, and 8.5% of those reports from February 2010 through May 2015. This compares to the pre-HPV vaccine period from 1990 to 2006 during which no cases of POF or premature menopause and 32 cases of amenorrhea were reported to VAERS."

IMO, this group was fair. They are pointing out concerns about ovarian failure in young women who had received the injection. They're not stridently saying that no one should get the vaccine for their children. It's information that well informed parents might like to know before they have their child vaccinated.

Have they done any test on boys or young men? I only have boys, so it is something to think about. I had a friend get it when it first came out, no side effect at all. About a year ago, my friend's step daughter got the vaccine. She had horrible side effects, partial paralysis, headaches, and a few other symptoms I cannot remember.

I hesitated a long time with this shot but then finally had my girls get them because like someone up thread stated it's others that we can't control. My DD17 got her last series in December, and my DD20 gets her last shot this month.

I really did struggle with making this decision, I talked to them about it, but they had no clue and were like whatever mom. I hope they have no adverse effects. But with any vaccine there is always someone who does :sad1:.

I'm not sure I will get this for my DS15. I think the boy's vaccine is newer.

Exact same vaccine for male and female. Just more recently approved by the FDA for the fellas :)

"Adverse events that occur after vaccines are frequently not caused by the vaccine and there has not been a noticeable rise in POF cases in the last 9 years since HPV4 vaccine has been widely used.

Nevertheless there are legitimate concerns that should be addressed: (1) long-term ovarian function was not assessed in either the original rat safety studies3,4 or in the human vaccine trials, (2) most primary care physicians are probably unaware of a possible association between HPV4 and POF and may not consider reporting POF cases or prolonged amenorrhea (missing menstrual periods) to the Vaccine Adverse Event Reporting System (VAERS), (3) potential mechanisms of action have been postulated based on autoimmune associations with the aluminum adjuvant used and previously documented ovarian toxicity in rats from another component, polysorbate 80,2 and (4) since licensure of Gardasil® in 2006, there have been about 213 VAERS reports (per the publicly available CDC WONDER VAERS database) involving amenorrhea, POF or premature menopause, 88% of which have been associated with Gardasil®. (5)The two-strain HPV2,CervarixTM, was licensed late in 2009 and accounts for 4.7 % of VAERS amenorrhea reports since 2006, and 8.5% of those reports from February 2010 through May 2015. This compares to the pre-HPV vaccine period from 1990 to 2006 during which no cases of POF or premature menopause and 32 cases of amenorrhea were reported to VAERS."

IMO, this group was fair. They are pointing out concerns about ovarian failure in young women who had received the injection. They're not stridently saying that no one should get the vaccine for their children. It's information that well informed parents might like to know before they have their child vaccinated.
Are they saying only females who had the vaccine are show pof or are they saying there is an increase in general and it happens to coincide with the increase in the vaccine? As someone who had pof and has not had the vaccine there can be other causes. The number of women seeking fertility treatments has steadily increased for decades. There are many reasons why and many theories from environment to food safety to evolution. Although I would welcome more scientific research coincidence does not equal causation.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter