• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

American Idol filming at Aulani in early 2024?

We were there during filming early this year and experienced ZERO disruptions to our two-week stay (OK, they held me up for 30 seconds in the lobby one day to film a quick clip). The contestants rehearse during the daytime, and the music is enjoyable to listen to and was not intrusive. The filming takes place over a two-night period and it's pretty cool to witness the process.
We chatted with several of the contestants, and they were all very kind, respectful, and TALENTED.
As with anything, your mileage and experience may vary.
Any sense on which nights in the span of days they are they do they film? I'm assuming (maybe incorrectly) the beginning and the end days might be set up/break down and in between is the rest? Trying to figure out if we'll be there for the night time filming.

Any sense on which nights in the span of days they are they do they film? I'm assuming (maybe incorrectly) the beginning and the end days might be set up/break down and in between is the rest? Trying to figure out if we'll be there for the night time filming.
Trying to figure out the same while we are there! Dates at Aulani are Feb 1-10, 2024. I am assuming Feb 1 & 2 are for setup, Feb 3-6 are the practice sessions and interviews, and "MAYBE" filming will be Feb 7 & 8 and then take down on Feb 9 & 10. Just my opinion from seeing the schedules from other years. Hoping someone can give input also that might know? I mean it is only a month away, I'm sure there's a schedule out there somewhere? LOL

Trying to figure out the same while we are there! Dates at Aulani are Feb 1-10, 2024. I am assuming Feb 1 & 2 are for setup, Feb 3-6 are the practice sessions and interviews, and "MAYBE" filming will be Feb 7 & 8 and then take down on Feb 9 & 10. Just my opinion from seeing the schedules from other years. Hoping someone can give input also that might know? I mean it is only a month away, I'm sure there's a schedule out there somewhere? LOL
Your schedule sounds about right in terms of what we experienced last year. We’ll never go back while AI is there again. The production doesn’t take up a ton of room on the lagoon, but the constant banging, hammering, beeping forklifts, and construction noise while the stage was assembled, followed by loud rehearsals and mic tests for us diminished the beach experience for days on end. My wife and I go by ourselves and like to read and relax in a beach casabella. That wasn’t possible with all the sound, commotion and activity. There were also fewer casabellas available because the space they occupy was diminished.

On the plus side, the two nights where they do the actual show are kinda fun since you can go down to the beach, listen to the live music, and even if you’re not in the audience (which you can be if you want to, but it’s hours of standing), you can see what’s going on from various side angles on the beach.

Arriving on the 10th of February. I am hopeful that being the last day of filming the commotion of AI will be winding down. For the fans of AI it may be fun, for a person like me who has little interest, it will be an intrusion for sure. I will do my best to stay positive.

Just wondering if anyone knows:

1. Do they film every day? The email said Feb. 1-10, so was wondering if they filmed every day or just a few days in that time period.

2. How long are the filming sessions? All day or just a few hours?

I'll be there from Feb. 5-10. We are taking a day to drive to North Shore area, so I could plan that for a day they are filming so it doesn't impact us as much.
Just saw info that stated filming will take place on Feb 7 & 8th at 5:00 pm and is standing room only. They film for about approximately 4 hours.

Arriving on the 10th of February. I am hopeful that being the last day of filming the commotion of AI will be winding down. For the fans of AI it may be fun, for a person like me who has little interest, it will be an intrusion for sure. I will do my best to stay positive.
Filming is Feb 7 & 8. I think the takedown days of equipment are on the 9th and 10th. You should be good! Lol

I am surprised we haven't received any notification. We are there from the 30th - 7th

Just saw info that stated filming will take place on Feb 7 & 8th at 5:00 pm and is standing room only. They film for about approximately 4 hours.
Thanks for the info. I'll be at Paradise Cove luau on the 7th, but may try to catch some of the filming on the 8th (from a distance. I won't be standing out there for hours).

On my last two trips there were special events at Aulani that were very disruptive. Now it looks like I hit the lottery again.

One was President Obama and the Pacific World Leaders Summit. They stayed at the Four Seasons (which was a different name then) and kicked all those people out and put them at Aulani. Obama also did a fundraiser at Aulani. The beach walkway was cutoff and there were police, national guard, coast guard, and secret service everywhere. They shut down roads whenever any of the leaders traveled, and with no notice for security reasons. So you could use the pools and the beach, but you couldn't walk the lagoons. There were snipers and machine guns and coast guard helicopters and boats guarding the ocean. They told us if we leave the resort we may get stuck for hours if they shut down the roads, so we stayed put. It was definitely not ideal. It was weird to be in a bathing suit at the pool and see all these people in uniforms and suits walking around the pool deck. I did see the President at one point.

The second time they were hosting a chef event. It was a ticketed event and already sold out by the time we found out about it. Chef Morimoto, Cat Cora, etc. They built a stage over the water of the lagoon and set up all the food tables on the beach, so you couldn't use the beach at all. You could go to another lagoon though. The only positive was they had a private fireworks show and we could sit out on the side of the lagoon and watch it with no crowds.

Now I will be there the second week of February during this AI filming, although I haven't received any notice. I booked some casabellas so those may get cancelled. I don't want to spend money to relax in a lounger with a view of the beach when the atmosphere will be anything but quiet.

I understand that it is the luck of the draw, but I guess I have been unlucky! Some may enjoy it but I prefer to relax. I hope my guests don't mind.

We loved being there during American Idol Filming last year. They were not disruptive at all. No lines for the slides, the resort was super quiet because a lot of the guests were there for AI. Very talented performers, fun to watch them practice and perform from the infinity pool and hot tub. My daughter and I signed up to be a part of the filming in the audience and it was a really special experience to see ourselves on national TV a few months later. Also, to be there live, super close to Katy Perry and Ryan Seacrest was pretty awesome for my kiddo.

your assumptions appear to be correct - I saw a link to submit for tickets; tapings on 2/7 and 2/8 5 5pm).

We loved being there during American Idol Filming last year. They were not disruptive at all. No lines for the slides, the resort was super quiet because a lot of the guests were there for AI. Very talented performers, fun to watch them practice and perform from the infinity pool and hot tub. My daughter and I signed up to be a part of the filming in the audience and it was a really special experience to see ourselves on national TV a few months later. Also, to be there live, super close to Katy Perry and Ryan Seacrest was pretty awesome for my kiddo.
Not disruptive? We were there last year as well, and found it monumentally disruptive! Impossible to read a book on the beach because of the loud banging of the construction and constant beeping of construction vehicles backing up. Then when the stage was assembled, still impossible to read a book because of the constant, thunderous rehearsing you could hear anywhere on or near the beach, all day long. A huge section of the beach was closed off so far fewer casabellas available to rent as well.

The entire, multi tiered seating area in front of Ama Ama, which we love because it’s relaxing and a little more peaceful than the pool, was closed for the interviews. During the time AI was there, Aulani was less a beautiful beach resort and more of a circus. If you’re enamored with watching a tv production, then great! But if you’re not, your stay at Aulani will be negatively affected.

Not disruptive? We were there last year as well, and found it monumentally disruptive! Impossible to read a book on the beach because of the loud banging of the construction and constant beeping of construction vehicles backing up. Then when the stage was assembled, still impossible to read a book because of the constant, thunderous rehearsing you could hear anywhere on or near the beach, all day long. A huge section of the beach was closed off so far fewer casabellas available to rent as well.

The entire, multi tiered seating area in front of Ama Ama, which we love because it’s relaxing and a little more peaceful than the pool, was closed for the interviews. During the time AI was there, Aulani was less a beautiful beach resort and more of a circus. If you’re enamored with watching a tv production, then great! But if you’re not, your stay at Aulani will be negatively affected.
We are there Feb 5-10 and did not receive any notice that anything was going on. We are DVC so I don’t know if that has anything to do with us not being notified. We do not care one bit for AI so I am dreading the whole thing.

We are there Feb 5-10 and did not receive any notice that anything was going on. We are DVC so I don’t know if that has anything to do with us not being notified. We do not care one bit for AI so I am dreading the whole thing.
We’re DVC as well, and did receive a notice prior to our trip last year, but it was too late to change and we didn’t think it would be that bad. But, honestly, it was. For us, it ruined the entire vibe of the resort. We also felt that AI took precedence over those staying at the resort. The production intermittently blocked off the main beach walkway as well as paths around the pool for filming. They basically had the run of the place.

But, on the bright side, if the thought of being 50 yards from Ryan Seacrest is exciting, you’re in luck! Best to just go with the flow and know you’re going to be inconvenienced. Its not like the beach and pools are closed down, and you might not think it was as annoying as we did.

Anyone I know who lets a film crew into their home or yard is reimbursed for the troubles. “Welcome home. Hope you don’t mind we’re filming a large scale television production at your house.” Yeah I do mind so No thanks- I’d much prefer to laze around on my vacation living my non glamorous life on my Hawaii trip that I paid thousands for this winter.

A couple years ago while on a cruise we had spa passes and paid extra for a spa suite only to find out they had extensive filming going on. They reimbursed us for the cost of the spa upgrade and gave us some obc however I’d definitely have preferred not to have the filming.

There’s nothing I can do about it so I’m just going to try and make the best of this and be Hopeful this won’t be too intrusive.

Anyone I know who lets a film crew into their home or yard is reimbursed for the troubles. “Welcome home. Hope you don’t mind we’re filming a large scale television production at your house.” Yeah I do mind so No thanks- I’d much prefer to laze around on my vacation living my non glamorous life on my Hawaii trip that I paid thousands for this winter.

A couple years ago while on a cruise we had spa passes and paid extra for a spa suite only to find out they had extensive filming going on. They reimbursed us for the cost of the spa upgrade and gave us some obc however I’d definitely have preferred not to have the filming.

There’s nothing I can do about it so I’m just going to try and make the best of this and be Hopeful this won’t be too intrusive.
For what it’s worth, we did complain and I believe they gave us some credit. I don’t remember what the amount was, but at least it was something and we did appreciate it.

We were particularly upset because my wife and I love the seating area by Ama Ama, and as I’ve mentioned it was completely closed off for days.

For what it’s worth, we did complain and I believe they gave us some credit. I don’t remember what the amount was, but at least it was something and we did appreciate it.

We were particularly upset because my wife and I love the seating area by Ama Ama, and as I’ve mentioned it was completely closed off for days.
Thanks. I’m hoping we have nothing to complain about. I love that area by ama ama as well. I’m ok walking to the next lagoon but we won’t have lounge chairs available over there. I might tape together some soccer chairs and check them. We leave on Tuesday morning and I’m so looking forward to some warmth and sunshine.

Thanks. I’m hoping we have nothing to complain about. I love that area by ama ama as well. I’m ok walking to the next lagoon but we won’t have lounge chairs available over there. I might tape together some soccer chairs and check them. We leave on Tuesday morning and I’m so looking forward to some warmth and sunshine.
Actually, my wife and I are here at Aulani right now. It’s beautiful and quite warm! The water is amazing and we couldn’t be happier.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter