Americans and Canadians culture Q&A Thread.

:wave2:Happy Victoria Day Weekend, fellow Canadians! Let's each raise a cup of tea as we enjoy what is now also commonly known as "May Long" - the official kick-off to our precious non-Winter season. :teeth:

victoria-day.jpg
Happy May two four to you!

:wave2:Happy Victoria Day Weekend, fellow Canadians! Let's each raise a cup of tea as we enjoy what is now also commonly known as "May Long" - the official kick-off to our precious non-Winter season. :teeth:

victoria-day.jpg

And a very Happy May 2-4 to you too! Hope you are having better weather then we have here.

We have a typical southern Ontario May long weekend so far.. rainy & chilly. The lovely summer like weather of two weeks ago is nowhere to be seen. (I’m holding out hope for tomorrow & Monday) lol

And a very Happy May 2-4 to you too! Hope you are having better weather then we have here.

We have a typical southern Ontario May long weekend so far.. rainy & chilly. The lovely summer like weather of two weeks ago is nowhere to be seen. (I’m holding out hope for tomorrow & Monday) lol

Same here, it wants to rain, but isn’t. I hate these days, rain or don’t rain , just get it over with :rotfl2:
Tomorrow does look better. I can’t decide if I want to go shopping or not. Maybe I’ll just laze around and enjoy the long weekend, the last one we had an ice storm, so it really was more tiring in the end. Praying for rain in Alberta, as those fires are terrible.

victoria-day.jpg

I know many people who are gardening today. Rule of thumb is to not plant anything until May long. It still could snow (and actually did on Thursday, melting instantly) but your garden should be safe now.

I know many people who are gardening today. Rule of thumb is to not plant anything until May long. It still could snow (and actually did on Thursday, melting instantly) but your garden should be safe now.
There were years that we had snow on the farm the first of June, which was after the crops had gone in. Anything is possible in Canada.

I planted my front flower bed yesterday so we will probably get frost now.

Still raining and foggy here and 14c now. Glad we didn’t go camping now. Husband is working this weekend.

For once, Victoria is having a really nice May 2-4 weekend! 20 and sunny today and tomorrow! Much better than the 30's we had last week for sure.

I'm not even sure what you'd call this weather - smoky with a chance of flames? :sad:The entire northern half of the province is on fire with tens-of-thousands of people displaced so far. A northwest wind has funneled the smoke down our way all week. On the upside, no, I don't think there's any snow in the weekend forecast. (Yesterday's view of Calgary's Bow River Valley, looking towards the east.)
1684623550057.png

I'm not even sure what you'd call this weather - smoky with a chance of flames? :sad:The entire northern half of the province is on fire with tens-of-thousands of people displaced so far. A northwest wind has funneled the smoke down our way all week. On the upside, no, I don't think there's any snow in the weekend forecast. (Yesterday's view of Calgary's Bow River Valley, looking towards the east.)
View attachment 761785
So sorry to see Annette.

And with 85% of these fires being man-made we must be failing on the education level.
Or worse people.have changed that much that they are much more irresponsible.

Regardless of how it is happening, how very sad to see.

So sorry to see Annette.

And with 85% of these fires being man-made we must be failing on the education level.
Or worse people.have changed that much that they are much more irresponsible.

Regardless of how it is happening, how very sad to see.

Have they said most of these fires were caused by humans?

Have they said most of these fires were caused by humans?
No real way to know for sure while everything is still burning, and anybody's guess how far they'll go into forensics once they're out. It's likely the typical combination of human-caused fire (whether accidental or otherwise) and lightning strikes.

Yes they have or I would not have said it.
i
These type of fires in general I was referring to, as was clear in my last line, not necessarily the one going on now.

I'm curious to that story because I haven't seen it. Can you point me to those stories?

Annette, I see rain is in the forecast. Hopefully it is prolonged. And some.relief for those fighting the fires & conditions for you all.

Even if I am not on this thread (read often), know that I am thinking about you.

Annette, I see rain is in the forecast. Hopefully it is prolonged. And some.relief for those fighting the fires & conditions for you all.

Even if I am not on this thread (read often), know that I am thinking about you.
Thanks, Lisa. :flower3: Amen to that. This isn't our "rainy season" quite yet - most of the rainfall in Alberta happens in June. After a fairly mild winter with only moderate snow-fall, the entire province is tinder-dry and the past few weeks have been way warmer than expected, which has all exacerbated the wildfires. Blessedly, nobody has been hurt but there has been some fairly devastating property loss in the remote areas and the fact that the region has few major population centres has made accommodating those displaced more difficult. I keep expecting to hear that I've got "company" on the way but as of yet, my hometown has not been evacuated.
1684764396323.png

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter