Americans and Canadians culture Q&A Thread.

Canadians, do you find anything about our Thanksgiving traditions weird and is there anything we do on the holiday that you wish Canada would do as well?

Canadians, do you find anything about our Thanksgiving traditions weird and is there anything we do on the holiday that you wish Canada would do as well?
No Buzz. This is another thing where there's really very little difference to speak of and certainly nothing different enough to call "weird". :rolleyes1 Our Thanksgiving isn't linked to football or a huge shopping binge, but again, I doubt many of us find those things baffling.

No Buzz. This is another thing where there's really very little difference to speak of and certainly nothing different enough to call "weird". :rolleyes1 Our Thanksgiving isn't linked to football or a huge shopping binge, but again, I doubt many of us find those things baffling.
There’s probably as much variation within Canada as there is between Canada and the US

There’s probably as much variation within Canada as there is between Canada and the US
:goodvibes If that is to say, not much at all, then I agree. Thanksgiving is a pretty straight-forward holiday without the overt religious basis or commercial pressures that many others have. Celebrating it is as simple as gathering for a feast of some sort. Whether you do it on Saturday, Sunday or Monday may vary, and what’s on the table is optional, but that’s about it. I’d like to hear if anybody has any distinct Thanksgiving rituals that are must-do for their families.
1696250211014.jpeg

Last edited:

:goodvibes If that is to say, not much at all, then I agree. Thanksgiving is a pretty straight-forward holiday without the overt religious basis or commercial pressures that many others have. Celebrating it is as simple as gathering for a feast of some sort. Whether you do it on Saturday, Sunday or Monday may vary, and what’s on the table is optional, but that’s about it. I’d like to hear if anybody has any distinct Thanksgiving rituals that are must-do for their families.
View attachment 798788
I was thinking mainly about the food on the table (since, frankly, that and being with family is pretty much what Thanksgiving is to me).

Planning Thanksgiving dinner here but not sure we'll be able to source a turkey. Last year, we didn't bother trying to replicate and went with. I think, chicken-pot pie and some other bits.

I was thinking mainly about the food on the table (since, frankly, that and being with family is pretty much what Thanksgiving is to me).

Planning Thanksgiving dinner here but not sure we'll be able to source a turkey. Last year, we didn't bother trying to replicate and went with. I think, chicken-pot pie and some other bits.
That’s the entire gist of it, for sure. But I know so many people whose dietary habits just do not include roasting up big hunks of meat at anytime, for any reason. They do their feast with their own special dishes and still consider it Thanksgiving. Many have joined us over the years and most bring something we consider exotic, which is always a treat. :lovestruc I personally also LOVE the term “Friendsgiving” - it’s the perfect occasion to open one’s home and get a wide swath of different people together to celebrate our common blessings without treading on any religious or cultural sensitivities.

I imagine it might be a bit different going the other direction, like you are. Being immersed in a different culture and longing for a bit of home.:grouphug: I hope you find a group of friends and a bounty for your table and have a warm and happy Thanksgiving celebration. I’ll be thinking of you.:flower3:

Last edited:
my mother's secret family apple sauce recipe, my father's secret family apple pie recipe
You guys seem to have a lot of secret recipes in your family. It seems to me that you had a secret black and white cookie recipe as well. I'm picturing some kind of vault in your kitchen...the ones with the big wheel on the front that takes two hands to open. It is marked simply "Top Secret Recipes."

I tend to describe Canadian Thanksgiving to Americans who ask as "American Thanksgiving minus the Pilgrims".

I see Thanksgiving as people sharing food. It doesn't matter what is served. What is important is that the holiday brings people together and there isn't anything better than that. Our celebration of Canadian Thanksgiving has long since deviated from the traditional turkey, as unless we pick a bird up when they are cheap around American T-giving and keep it in the freezer all year, they are sometimes a challenge to locate at a reasonable price. We now typically end up serving beef of some kind. It isn't any more economical (likely costs more), but our family seems to prefer it and the side-dishes are far simpler.

Yep Thanksgiving is just getting together, we do ours on Sunday because people can travel and have a day just to be lazy on the Monday and eat leftovers before they have to go back to work.

Sometimes we have ham instead of Turkey or both if enough people are coming.

It is usually the weekend most cabins and trailer parks close for the season If you have a seasonal trailer.

Nothing strange 😊

I think the biggest difference is that up here we are rooted in the tradition that came about as a celebration of the bounty of the harvest - hence October over November. The meal itself is the core of the celebration. In its inception some of the bounty of the harvest was shared with the churches in the community and was given to the less fortunate to help them.. early food banks so to speak.
Thanksgiving in the US which was originally celebrated marking the Pilgrims coming together with the Indigenous peoples to celebrate the harvest together doesn’t seem to be the main celebration anymore.. it is more about parades, football games and shopping and has become the official kick off to the Christmas season. Nothing wrong with either celebration.. just a different observance on either side of the 49th parallel. 😉

(fwiw.. I haven’t missed a Macy’s thanksgiving day parade in years.. I’ve been known to arrange my work hours so I could be off or to be home and go in for a half day.. I ❤️ the MTDP!)

The real question for Canadians is: How do you make your sweet potatoes? Nasty puree with sugar, spices, nuts and disgusting marshmallows on top? Or simply and elegantly sauteed in butter and a little brown sugar to caramelize? The latter is, of course, the correct way. ;)

We don’t have sweet potato anything. We do, however, usually have a birthday apple pie because it’s my daughters birthday on Friday and she usually chooses to celebrate when we get together for Thanksgiving because it’s too hard to get us all together otherwise. She isn’t a fan of cake so, I bake her an apple pie instead.

You do know that the modern federal holiday was instituted by Abraham Lincoln during the Civil War right? It was meant to bring familys in the republic back together and move towards unity once again. That was the purpose, to celebrate our unity as a family through a special feast day. The Pilgrim and Native American historical aspect became a secondary backdrop to the main reason to celebrate. That unity aspect is our main reason for celebration. The things you are implying are secondary to the celebration itself. Except for businesses, people are not generally focused on consumerism on the day itself. Black Friday, Super Saturday and Sunday, and Cyber Monday sure but not Thanksgiving itself.

You do know that the modern federal holiday was instituted by Abraham Lincoln during the Civil War right? It was meant to bring familys in the republic back together and move towards unity once again. That was the purpose, to celebrate our unity as a family through a special feast day. The Pilgrim and Native American historical aspect became a secondary backdrop to the main reason to celebrate. That unity aspect is our main reason for celebration. The things you are implying are secondary to the celebration itself. Except for businesses, people are not generally focused on consumerism on the day itself. Black Friday, Super Saturday and Sunday, and Cyber Monday sure but not Thanksgiving itself.
Nope, I did not. Does that shock you?

Nothing strange 😊

I think the biggest difference is that up here we are rooted in the tradition that came about as a celebration of the bounty of the harvest - hence October over November. The meal itself is the core of the celebration. In its inception some of the bounty of the harvest was shared with the churches in the community and was given to the less fortunate to help them.. early food banks so to speak.
Thanksgiving in the US which was originally celebrated marking the Pilgrims coming together with the Indigenous peoples to celebrate the harvest together doesn’t seem to be the main celebration anymore.. it is more about parades, football games and shopping and has become the official kick off to the Christmas season. Nothing wrong with either celebration.. just a different observance on either side of the 49th parallel. 😉

(fwiw.. I haven’t missed a Macy’s thanksgiving day parade in years.. I’ve been known to arrange my work hours so I could be off or to be home and go in for a half day.. I ❤️ the MTDP!)

My family has watched it since it first began. It is one if my favorite traditions.

Nope, I did not. Does that shock you?
A little, since you seemed to imply you knew the details of our version of the holiday. My apologies if you didn't. I'm not trying to sound snobby. I just sometimes feel Canadians don't know the whole history behind the specific holiday in America. It's also why Evacuation Day is celebrated on a smaller scale than it used to in the modern era. I'm glad I could provide some of the historical context on the holiday.

A little, since you seemed to imply you knew the details of our version of the holiday. My apologies if you didn't. I'm not trying to sound snobby. I just sometimes feel Canadians don't know the whole history behind the specific holiday in America. It's also why Evacuation Day is celebrated on a smaller scale than it used to in the modern era. I'm glad I could provide some of the historical context on the holiday.
The discussion was actually around the modern-day trappings, which I think I grasp well enough.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter