• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Americans and Canadians culture Q&A Thread.

Cool. I was curious since Europe seems to be starting to get into the tradition as well.
Well I'm in my 50s and trick or treating has been around as long as I have. It's not new up here.

Question for you - is it common for Americans to refer to the English language as American? My friend was telling me about on her cruise many southerners were discussing the staff and talking about how good their "American" was.

Well I'm in my 50s and trick or treating has been around as long as I have. It's not new up here.

Question for you - is it common for Americans to refer to the English language as American? My friend was telling me about on her cruise many southerners were discussing the staff and talking about how good their "American" was.
Yes and no. In most places we refer to American English as English. In the South, it's a cultural slang term for our distinct English that is different to British (and I guess Canadian variations?). It comes from the British who looked down on our English comprehension and thought their original version was the only right way.

Overall T-day is much quieter here than in the USA. It's just a long weekend with a big family dinner often on Sunday. Manitoba is lake country (much like Minnesota) so many people use it to close up the cottages. There's no parades, or football (well not T day specific football...) or shopping.

Last weekend was a federal holiday - Truth and Reconciliation Day - for recognizing the residential schools and their impact. There were ceremonies. Some had Monday off to make it a long weekend.

<deleted>

Last edited by a moderator:

Overall T-day is much quieter here than in the USA. It's just a long weekend with a big family dinner often on Sunday. Manitoba is lake country (much like Minnesota) so many people use it to close up the cottages. There's no parades, or football (well not T day specific football...) or shopping.

Last weekend was a federal holiday - Truth and Reconciliation Day - for recognizing the residential schools and their impact. There were ceremonies. Some had Monday off to make it a long weekend.

What does the USA do to recognize the dark history of the Indigenous schools in the USA?
You don't county the CFL's Thanksgiving Day Classic double header as a T Day specific football game?

I don’t think I have ever heard that being used in that way and I have lived in the South for over 20 years

You don't county the CFL's Thanksgiving Day Classic double header as a T Day specific football game?
No not really. Never been a factor in my family's T-day weekend as a child or an adult.
I really don't hear much about it.
I do associate American T day with football.

Last edited:
No not really. Never been a factor in my family's T-day weekend as a child or an adult.
I really don't hear much about it.
I do associate American T day with football.
Yeah, football has never been a factor in our Thanksgiving either. But it is a nationally broadcast game in Canada just like the Canadian parade @NAB mentioned..

What does the USA do to recognize the dark history of the Indigenous schools in the USA?
Indigenous Day/Columbus Day. Our past issues are more as thought as a recognized history that's taught but not dwelled on. We instead celebrate Indigenous peoples culture and contributions to our country on that day. Our assimilation history is different than Canada's.

At this time, not much. There is a push to change Columbus Day to Indigenous Peoples Day, but most states haven't made that change yet.

I've never heard it used, aside from maybe jokingly.

September 30 is recognized in the US as National Day of Remembrance for those who attended Indian boarding schools (https://boardingschoolhealing.org/orange-shirt-day/) (although not officially). There are concurrent resolutions in the House and Senate. The Senate agreed to the resolution in 2022 and the House referred it to the Subcommittee for Indigenous Peoples of the United States.

https://www.congress.gov/bill/117th-congress/senate-concurrent-resolution/28

https://www.congress.gov/bill/117th-congress/house-concurrent-resolution/53/text

Colonial Williamsburg recognized the day and posted about it on their Facebook. The link they posted was written by a member of the American Initiative department.

Last edited:

Sports at our Thanksgiving get together usually means there is a World Series playoff game on somewhere in the house or out on the deck... Especially if the Jay’s have made it that far.

CFL football doesn’t usually get a notice. Argos or not. 🤷🏻‍♀️

Sports at our Thanksgiving get together usually means there is a World Series playoff game on somewhere in the house or out on the deck... Especially if the Jay’s have made it that far.

CFL football doesn’t usually get a notice. Argos or not. 🤷🏻‍♀️
Do you watch this parade the PP mentioned?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter