• Controversial Topics Several months ago, I added a private forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Click Here

Americans and Canadians culture Q&A Thread.

Sports at our Thanksgiving get together usually means there is a World Series playoff game on somewhere in the house or out on the deck... Especially if the Jay’s have made it that far.

CFL football doesn’t usually get a notice. Argos or not. 🤷🏻‍♀️
Oh we did have the infamous Jetsgiving in 2011 - the inaugural return of the Winnipeg Jets was the Sunday of thanksgiving weekend!

Yes and no. In most places we refer to American English as English. In the South, it's a cultural slang term for our distinct English that is different to British (and I guess Canadian variations?). It comes from the British who looked down on our English comprehension and thought their original version was the only right way.

It is the right way. ;)

No not really. Never been a factor in my family's T-day weekend as a child or an adult.
I really don't hear much about it.
I do associate American T day with football.
It may not be a tradition in your house it is a tradition. It started in 1958.

Yeah, football has never been a factor in our Thanksgiving either. But it is a nationally broadcast game in Canada just like the Canadian parade @NAB mentioned..

That parade is not nationally broadcast.

Just trying to figure out if this is some big thing that I’m just oblivious to.

It’s very small town by most standards.. the Octoberfest mascot, local high school and University bands, cheerleaders, local German clubs, polka dancers.. sports teams of all ages, local business sponsored floats… civic groups. Their local CTV station hosts and I’ve seen it carried on Toronto’s CTV affiliate. My Mom who is 95 enjoys it. 😊

It is the right way. ;)

It may not be a tradition in your house it is a tradition. It started in 1958.

That parade is not nationally broadcast.
Think Labour Day and Banjo Bowl are way more traditional and promoted games here in Winnipeg. But I could be totally out to lunch.

I do believe the Blue bombers play Friday night so I guess that’s sort of thanksgiving.

ETA - just checked local CTV listings for Friday-Monday and no parade listed.

Last edited:
What day and time? I’ll check my guide, and screenshot it, but @CdnCarrie already confirmed it’s not.
Noon EST. But may be regional. Not sure how CTV programs their time zones. Monday October 9.

"A family tradition generation after generation, 150,000 people line the parade route each year to see the floats, bands, and special entries that are part of this annual event. Experience the largest Thanksgiving Day Parade in Canada in one of three ways: joing us live and in person on the parade route, watch the live stream or catch the Parade Broadcast on CTV at noon! Visit Oktoberfest.ca for parade day details! The Parade is open to all and free to attend!"

Last edited:
We were very impressed with the Canadian National Parks that we’ve visited. Especially Jasper. The only that took us by surprise was the additional charge for a fire permit for each night in the campground. But the firewood was free!

@Buzz Rules what time do you typically have your Thanksgiving dinner? Maybe I've just seen too many US tv shows but they always seem to host dinner mid afternoon (say, 2 or 3pm) where we traditionally have our meal at 'dinner time.'
It's traditionally a late lunch meal between 2pm and 4pm. This is because the parade starts at 8am to 12pm. The dog show and football follow that. Americans get ready for Black Friday crazyness around 8pm. We eat a light breakfast Thanksgiving Day and a light late night snack or dessert before bed (unless you are a crazy shopper).

Noon EST. But may be regional. Not sure how CTV programs their time zones. Monday October 9.

"A family tradition generation after generation, 150,000 people line the parade route each year to see the floats, bands, and special entries that are part of this annual event. Experience the largest Thanksgiving Day Parade in Canada in one of three ways: joing us live and in person on the parade route, watch the live stream or catch the Parade Broadcast on CTV at noon! Visit Oktoberfest.ca for parade day details! The Parade is open to all and free to attend!"
CTV doesn't have the same feed across the country. Why would you think it does? The American networks don't.

@NAB didn't say it was.

I'm confused, you started out by telling us it was national...

Glad you listen to us now lol

:sunny:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter