Amy's New Start : Comments Welcome!

Thanks Denise and Tracy.:hug:

What a week! I do like my new job very much, but my feet are giving me fits. I stand for 8 solid hours, if I get a sit down break once for about ten minutes I am doing good. Two days this week, I didn't even have time to go to the bathroom. :sad2: But I think as I get more used to the routine and get faster with what I am doing that will get better. I need a better pair of shoes and of course losing weight would help tremendously.

The day flies by, I leave home a little after 6:00 and usually get home between 2:30-3:00. And collapse. Dd has nicely been giving me a foot massage which helps a lot. I have had retail jobs where I stood all day but that was 25 years ago and I was younger and thinner! Yesterday I stood for hours dicing cucumbers and making turkey rollups. I actually feel better when I make the food deliveries to the classrooms and am walking. Standing still for hours kills the footsies! But again, I think my body will adjust and I think new shoes will help.

Being so close to home, working on my own and doing my own schedule all makes this the perfect job. And I really like all the women who work there, the kids are so sweet (lets face it, the lady who delivers the food to the kiddos is ever popular lol) and being home before 3:00 are all nice. And I will get a real paycheck on Friday for the first time in almost 18 years. Hard to believe!

We had our first big snowstorm this week, we could have gotten up to 18 inches but luckily only got about 8 inches of snow. The roads were thankfully just slushy. But the good news is that with only two miles to travel, it wasn't going to be a big deal for me anyway. We managed to not lose any tree limbs with all that heavy wet snow on still leafed out limbs, but some of the northern suburbs are a mess. I hate these fall and spring snowstorms.

I have not worked out once, I am so dead tired when I get home all I want to do is sit and then take a hot bath before I start dinner. But I talked with a friend and we plan to walk on Tuesday's and Thursday's but I told her I needed to wait until next week for that. We may water walk which might be easier on my feet until again, they get used to this all day standing routine! Then I will do a workout on the weekend (again, not this weekend giving my body some time to adjust) and honestly, I think between the classes I am still teaching at church and the fact I am either standing or walking all day, will have to be enough. I am not going to kid myself that I can do a job this physical and work out daily too at my age and this weight. Three maybe four times per week will have to suffice. I want to buy a pedometer and see how many steps I take during the workday.

I also have to add, I love my husband.:love: He is really stepping up to the plate, he has his schedule down for Thursdays and Friday's when he works from home to do laundry and he mopped all the floors and vacumed on his lunch breaks those two days. Which leaves me only doing about half the housework I normally do on the weekend. Very helpful.

I told stepdad yesterday this isn't the job I "wanted to be when I grew up" but the pay is good, the hours are perfect and the people are so nice that I am feeling pretty lucky. I also feel like I have great job security, there is only one kitchen manager and its me and they can't operate without that position so as long as I do the job well, I think I am good.

Denise: I am trying to figure out when I want to start ww, I would love to be your ww buddy when I do! It may be a few weeks though. I cannot seem to find any of my materials, I think I may have tossed them.

Tracy: My nephew is staying in Colorado Springs and is getting his own place (with a roomate). I am glad for him, its high time but I do have to say, I am worried about my sister. But its what she wants. Dan and I talked and if her beagle cannot adjust to apartment living, we will have to figure out a way to have him here with us. We love him and he's Daisy's brother so he's family! I hope he adjusts.;) My sister is so good at taking plunges in life without thinking it all the way through. Rather than move someplace where Dan and I are closer, that has outdoor space that works for the dog, that's safer, she goes and does this and now has a one year lease. If she ever thought before she lept, well her life might be different. Still I am excited for her because it makes her happy, I just hope she'll be extrememly cautious. Nephew told her to be careful and to not walk after dark but that will be tough with shorter days and a dog who needs potty breaks.

Wow! I had to go back & catch up when I read you have the job! Congrats!!!!!!!:cool1:

Also glad about your sister & the apartment. Things are looking up!!

Praying for your friend & her family. So hard to have a child so sick!

Amy & Dee I'll also be your WW buddy. I rejoined on the 18th. Finding it a bit easier this time to get in the groove with the points plus instead of points. Trying to view it as a totally new thing, not the WW I have done on & off again since 2003.

Have you had snow? I am really wanting snow, but know I won't see any. Makes me a bit sad. But life goes on!

Hope you have a great weekend! Water walking sounds perfect. Don't overstress your feet. You might try inserts. I got 2 pr of orthotic inserts at Costco & they have really helped my plantar issue & the metatarsal swelling & pain. Also shoes with good arches.

{{hugs}}

Amy, I'm so glad you like your new job aside from the fatigue. It does take awhile to transition into a new routine. Get yourself a new pair of very supportive sneakers and that should help with your feet. I know that when I went to full time a month ago I has a tough time with eye strain and neck pain but my body got used to it after a few weeks. I'm sure yours will too.

Don't worry about the WW thing. As usual I started out really strong and then fizzled. Maybe we can make a commitment to each other for the New Year.

Enjoy the rest of your weekend!!!!

I'm so glad that you like your new job, Amy!:thumbsup2 I bet the new pair of tennis shoes will help a lot. :goodvibes Maybe you can get one of those mats that have cushion in them. We had one in front of our kitchen sink a few years ago and it really helped while standing in one place when washing dishes.

A snowstorm already?!?!?:eek: I hope it's all melted by now. :sunny:

I hope you have a wonderful, relaxing Sunday!:hug:

Thanks Ladies, I am sorry to be so absent lately.

The job is going along well. I do have to say, I am not sure how long I can do this unless I lose a serious amount of weight.

If ever there was a time when I NEED to lose weight this is it. I have lost maybe 3-4 pounds but my food schedule is messed up. I basically eat breakfast at the crack of dawn and then frequently do not eat again until I get home. I come home starved, tired and in the worst pain I have been in.

I have been working about five hours of overtime a week which just adds another hour to my day on my feet.

I did take a walk tonight for the first time since I started working. My goal is to work out at least three times per week. Its not really a time issue as much as it is that sometimes I come home in so much pain I can't even imagine getting out of my chair. I have used the heating pad and taken more Advil in the last three weeks than the previous three years combined.

I really need to figure out exactly what strategy will work to get this weight off and also if this job is even the right job for me. I am not sure at 47 years of age a job in food service is a long term solution but for now, I am so thankful to have it. And I do have to say, I never worked with such a nice bunch of women and again, the location and hours are perfect. Just need to lose the weight so that I can do this without turning into an Advil addict!

Happy Thanksgiving Wish Friends!:)

My pain is getting better, one thing that helps is I have learned a few tricks that work for me. I change shoes about two thirds through the day, and MAKE myself take a 15 minute break where I prop up my feet, massage them a little and drink some water and take a couple of advil. I also come home and immediately get into a hot bath. No matter what I need to do, I do that. Its amazing how much better I feel. Still come home dog tired and hurting but by the time I take my bath, I feel close to normal.

I have taken off about 7 or 8 pounds since I started the job and hope to keep that up.

Working out still not happening much if at all, however, I do so much walking, lifting, standing and upper body working at my job, I am not too stressed about that and know that somehow, this will come into play soon enough.

Thanksgiving was nice, I have picked up a bit of a stomach bug but felt better yesterday and had a nice day of too much eating. And the rich food came back to haunt me today!

I hope everyone is having a great Thanksgiving, I can't believe the holidays are here. I am about to go over to stepdad's to put up his tree and clean his condo. Which I don't feel like doing but he needs his tree up and I want to make sure Dan and I do that for him. In the old days, we'd go over when my mom was alive and make a day of it. Now most of her decorations have come to me and my siblings so there is just the tree and a few other thngs (stepdad likes a "less is more" theme and is happy its not so decorated like my mom had it) it only takes about an hour. Which is good because I am tired and not feeling that great!

Hope you all have a great holiday weekend!

Glad the job is going ok & that weight is coming off. Sorry about the feet...I can relate. Maybe get one of those massaging foot bath things....I had to use one wi my ankle surgeries & they help. The mat idea is good, too.

Hope things are getting better. Kudos to your dh for helping. He's a keeper! Hope you have s restful weekend. :hug:

Hi WISH sis! :wave:

I hope this finds you and your family doing well. :goodvibes I know it's been awhile since we've posted in our journals, so I thought I would stop by and say hello.

Have a great day tomorrow!:hug:

Tracy, good to see you, dare I welcome us both back???!!!

Well, life got busy to say the least. Going back to work full time after 17 years was a big adjustment but one I am happy to say I have made work very well. Dh has really risen to the occasion, I was a bit worried, lets face it, me being home spoiled him but he got right on board and we now share household duteis.

One of the biggest changes is me letting go of my need to run the house and all its occupants. :rolleyes1 I have learned the house does not have to be spotless all the time, if its picked up it still looks pretty clean. The kids can be on their own more and guess what, its good for them. I can say no very well now something I never felt like I could do because I was home and therefore had so much time (yeah right) on my hands why not say yes to every request from friends, family, church and school. It feels kind of good.

I have lost about 15 pounds since late October. Between having a very physical job and also not being home and by myself so much (its so much easier to pig out when nobody can see you) its been a good start. I did join Weight Watchers on New Year's Eve. So I have lost 8 pounds since then (so 7 on my own without dieting or watching what I ate just having much less opportunity for bingeing).

I worked out twice this week. This has defintely been my biggest struggle. I stand all day and go in very early. However, I am finding that working out actually makes me less tired. I even managed to get to the gym last night at 9:00 after I had taught my class at church. I literally did not have opportunity to work out before that but kept my promise to myself to walk for at least 45 minutes.

We leave for WDW in six weeks, and we are also going to DL for our 20th in July (kids coming with us so not exactly a romantic getaway lol). I am really excited for both trips. :yay:

My goals for the rest of February are to continue working out, preferably four days a week. I need to evaluate whether I want to renew my gym membership or maybe invest that money into a treadmill. Walking outside right now is impossible since we got 20 inches of snow last week and even though most have shoveled, as it melts off the grass, it runs onto the sidewalks, freezes and its a slow go.

I also want to get better about tracking points and getting more veggies in.

I feel like 2012 is off to a very strong start.

I PROMISe to get to journals tomorrow or Saturday, right now I need to go to bed, I have to get up in six hours. :sad2:

Amy, I am SO GLAD you are back!!! I was thinking on Tuesday night that if you weren't back soon I would need to PM you & make sure all was ok. Glad it is!

CONGRATS on the weight loss! You are definitely on the right track!!

And a WDW and a DL trip in the sights! Lucky girl you are!

Hang in there & Welcome back! You have been missed!!!:grouphug:

Way to go on your 15 pound weight loss, Amy!!!:cheer2: Keep up the good work!:cheer2:

Your trip is so close!!!:woohoo: I bet everyone is getting so excited!:cool1:

Have a great day today!:hug:

Hello, Hello! My you have been busy. I am so happy for you. A new, perfect job. A gem of a DH. and you have a 15lb loss on top of everything. :banana::banana: And good news about your sister finding the apartment. How is she adjusting there? The dog okay?

I agree with you about working out even if you are tired. Some days I will want to cancel walking, but make myself go. I always feel better when we are done. Are you able to take better breaks now at work?

I am just so excited for you Amy. How wonderful that this worked out for you. :goodvibes

What day do you all leave WDW? We arrive on April 1 or 2, haven't decided yet.

Amy, just checking in to say hi and congrats on the weight loss and a strong healthy start to 2012.

I think its really great how everything has come together for you and your family since you got the new job. Its amazing how much we're able to do as women and moms but don't forget to make some quality time for yourself.

Keep checking in now and again and let us know how you're doing.

Two weeks from now, you'll be heading to Disney!!!! YAY!!! :woohoo::cool1: I bet everyone is getting super excited!:yay:

How has your week been? I hope all is well with you and your family!:goodvibes

Amy, I've been thinking about you and hope everything is well with your family!

Isn't it funny how time just flies by? I don't think any of our "regular" group has posted since winter. Please give us an update if you have the time.

Take care of yourself and have a great day!!!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter