• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

An Unpleasant Experience at Yak and Yeti CS

Looks like I'm in the minority here... to me you should only send 1 person up to the line to order and get food for others who are at the table waiting.
The rest of the party can wait somewhere other than the line or a table until the food is ready.
BUT I hate it more when people just sit down at a table when I am clearly waiting for the rest of my family members coming with my food.
While it's clear to you that you're waiting for others plus food, its not necessarily clear to guests who have food but nowhere to eat it.
While that may be true for actual restaurants, that is NOT the case for WDW. QS areas also act as cooling off or rest stations for families with small children and the elderly. If I were to bring my elderly grandmother, where would I have her rest and cool off from the heat other than in the general seating areas of QS restaurants?
Respectfully, not when there are guests circling with trays of food.
At the MK, this is exactly what the People Mover is good for. :) Usually minimal wait to get on. Nice long break from heat/standing. Shaded.
::yes:: Also First Aid; Guest Services; the southern end of Innoventions West; I believe there are still benches around Echo Lake; American Adventure lobby; Hall of Presidents lobby; rocking chairs near Country Bears; MK train; Rafikis Planet Watch train...

Maybe it's because I'm a New Yorker but if I see a table with two people sitting at it and two empty seats, all of the other tables are taken and I have my food ready and need to sit down, I'm joining them. I'll ask politely if the seats are taken and if they say yes, I wouldn't question them, but there's no reason to leave available seating empty because it's slightly closer to another party than a separate table.

Similarly, if a QS seating area has plenty of seats, I think it's fine to take a rest there and have a snack from your backpack or what have you, but if it's busy and people are clearly looking to sit down, move along if all you are doing is sitting. It may not be required or enforced, but it's the polite thing to do.

While that may be true for actual restaurants, that is NOT the case for WDW. QS areas also act as cooling off or rest stations for families with small children and the elderly. If I were to bring my elderly grandmother, where would I have her rest and cool off from the heat other than in the general seating areas of QS restaurants? There are not that many benches, and most air conditioned areas are either lines/rides or merchandise. I would hope someone that is using the QS area to relax would be willing to share with someone looking to eat, but I don't think they necessarily need to move for you or have to share a table with your family either. To say if you are not eating in these areas, then you are not using what the area is FOR is just an incorrect assumption. If WDW wants these areas to be used exclusively for eating then supervision is needed and it needs to be made explicit to the guests as currently there are no signs stating otherwise. They have started to have CMs monitor areas for eating but this is only during peak times, and this is when I think you can assume you may sit with another family or a person holding a seat as it would be directly against WDWs intentions, but if it is not explicitly stated to the guests I would strongly disagree with you and you should wait your turn like the other families did for a table.
The baby centers are the rest areas for families with small children. Much nicer and cooler than quick service locations :)

Looks like I'm in the minority here... to me you should only send 1 person up to the line to order and get food for others who are at the table waiting. Seems to me like it clogs up the line with all the extra people, and if there was only 1 person the line would move much faster. In fact at most places (Disney or otherwise) I will not go order food UNTIL I know I we have a place to sit.

You are coming from the perspective of going out in a group where everyone is old enough and healthy enough to either wait in the line alone or go sit alone.

The very case of the single parent with little kids that you mention isn't being taken into account. Not everyone can split up. Not everyone travels in a group.

The absolute fairest way is if you only sit once your party has food.

As for the line, the line might LOOK longer with everyone in it, but it won’t take longer. People are still ordering the same food. And having a long-looking line take a shorter time than expected is fun. And having multiple people to carry a group’s food will be easier than one person.

I've had my husband and two kids sit while I get food; I wouldn't think it makes sense to have all four of us in line. At the same time, if I saw a person with food looking for somewhere to sit I'd offer them a seat. And if someone sat down with us, that's great. Unfortunate Disney would have to hire people to enforce common courtesy.

We were at WDW from 12/18 to 12/28 and we didn't experience any issues finding seats at QS locations. We dined at Columbia Harbour House and Flame Tree BBQ at peak lunch times. We had one member of our party find a table while the remainder lined up. There were no CMs patrolling any of the seating areas and there was plenty of available seating.

I see both sides of the argument. Universal had a good process flow with the Potter restaurants when they first opened - they had CMs seating you at tables once you had your food and you weren't permitted to sit down without food. The queues inside these restaurants are even set up to make it difficult for you to move to the seating area without food in hand. It works out well there.

While it's clear to you that you're waiting for others plus food, its not necessarily clear to guests who have food but nowhere to eat it.

I'm just playing devil's advocate because I do see both sides of the argument, but in the case you describe, its really no one else's business why a person is sitting at a table with no food if it's not going against any Disney policy. A person with food can ask if they can use the table if they aren't sure whether the person there is waiting for food.

Respectfully, not when there are guests circling with trays of food.

If someone is waiting at a table while their family is getting the food and they end up moving for someone else, then THEY may be the ones circling with trays of food searching for a table when their food is ready. Unless/until Disney implements a policy and enforces it, it won't make a difference unfortunately.

"Fair" is very subjective...

I, and others with similar opinions, may be right, or others arguing the opposite may be right. The answer is unclear and that is the problem. People have their own opinions (and apparently pretty strong ones) on what to do in QS locations and at WDW there is no clear guidance on what is proper usage of the area. As long as Disney continues to not enforce a particular use of an open, public area with how they would like it to be used, people will continue to do what they please whether you like it or not. People will continue to be angry about not having a table and others will be annoyed with families encroaching on their personal space. I think it is clear, none of us here are right nor are we able to say what is truly fair, and what we are expressing here are just our opinions and assumptions on what we personally think is proper. In its current state, QS areas are a free for all, whether we all like it or not, unless of course CMs are monitoring.

Last edited:
Looks like I'm in the minority here... to me you should only send 1 person up to the line to order and get food for others who are at the table waiting. Seems to me like it clogs up the line with all the extra people, and if there was only 1 person the line would move much faster. In fact at most places (Disney or otherwise) I will not go order food UNTIL I know I we have a place to sit.

That being said we don't linger if there are people waiting to sit down either. We also will let others who are waiting and frantically looking around know we are about to leave and purposefully give them our table. Especially if it's a single parent with little ones who is struggling.

Totally agree with this! I always get my children seated at a table while my husband waits in line for the food. It's usually not that long of a wait, so I genuinely do not feel that this is "taking" a table from others or that we are being unfair. If others are looking for a table as well, we offer to share. Common courtesy.

I see both sides of the argument. Universal had a good process flow with the Potter restaurants when they first opened - they had CMs seating you at tables once you had your food and you weren't permitted to sit down without food. The queues inside these restaurants are even set up to make it difficult for you to move to the seating area without food in hand. It works out well there.
I'm just playing devil's advocate because I do see both sides of the argument, but in the case you describe, its really no one else's business why a person is sitting at a table with no food if it's not going against any Disney policy. A person with food can ask if they can use the table if they aren't sure whether the person there is waiting for food.
If someone is waiting at a table while their family is getting the food and they end up moving for someone else, then THEY may be the ones circling with trays of food searching for a table when their food is ready. Unless/until Disney implements a policy and enforces it, it won't make a difference unfortunately.
This really speaks to the me, me, me mentality.

I've got my seat, too bad, so sad that you don't and now your food is getting cold. Ha ha. Maybe next time you will be faster.

Really, people? If there are customers with food trays, unable to find a seat and you are holding a table for your family that just got in line. Get up. Or at least offer the table to them. If there is a long line, they will probably be through eating before your family gets out of line. If you need somewhere to sit, find a seat that doesn't have a table.

And yes, it is different if there is an emergency. Or if someone just threw up, and they shouldn't be out in the heat. But on a normal day with an able bodied person? Just get up. And as my mother used to say, "Play nice."

Last edited:
You are coming from the perspective of going out in a group where everyone is old enough and healthy enough to either wait in the line alone or go sit alone.

The very case of the single parent with little kids that you mention isn't being taken into account. Not everyone can split up. Not everyone travels in a group.

As for the line, the line might LOOK longer with everyone in it, but it won’t take longer. People are still ordering the same food. And having a long-looking line take a shorter time than expected is fun. And having multiple people to carry a group’s food will be easier than one person.

You're absolutely correct. Not everyone can do that. That's why I also said if we are nearing the end of our meal I will wave over those looking for a place to eat especially single parents.

But I completely disagree. It does take longer. People (in general) aren't prepared enough. To me it's much easier for one (or 2 depending on the party size) able bodied adult to hop in line while another sits with the kiddos/people who need assistance keeping them entertained/busy. If I'm ordering for my family we've already had the 'what do you want' conversation and I can rattle it off easily. I'm not waiting until I'm standing in front of the cashier to then decide to look at the menu and figure out what I want... with little 'Jimmy' in tow screaming about how he wants a hot dog at a decibel that makes all the dogs in a 5 mile radius howl in agony. Sure not everyone is like that or does this. But it seems like I always end up behind those kind sheepeople. :sad2:

But hopefully Disney will continue to expand mobile ordering.

This is why we usually eat QS at off hours. While DH orders, I can get the kids set up at a table and take a few extra minutes rest without feeling bad about taking a table (don’t forget high chairs too!) from someone who already has food and needs a table (or high chair.)

When we don’t eat off hours, we all wait in line and then get our table.

I could never in good conscience hold a table while people are juggling trays, kids, etc. looking for a place to eat.

and there was plenty of available seating.
This makes it an entirely different situation from the OP's experience. Had there been plenty of available seating, she wouldn't have had an unpleasant experience at Yak and Yeti :)

When guests are prevented from sitting, by CMs, until they have their food, it works. Guests already I possession of their food are able to sit and eat with no problem.

Why do you feel it would be different if guests self-policed?

THIS is why as a single mother I avoid QS like the plaque. I actually have a couple of off-hour QS meals planned (Satul'i Canteen and Columbia Harbor House) on my next trip now that my son is 9 but when I took him when he was 6... the stress of managing him in a crowded line then managing him AND a tray while finding a table that was often DIRTY that I then had to use some of my $900 an ounce bottled water to wipe up and then sit down and get him situated before I could finally breathe and eat my meal.. not worth it. On my next trip when he was 8 we did 2 TS a day where I sit in an air conditioned waiting area for my air conditioned assigned table where it's clean and someone else balances the trays.

I would reconsider my hatred of QS if it were a situation where it was orderly and I was shown to/guaranteed a table once I got my food.... but I am sure prices would go up for the staffing required.

This makes it an entirely different situation from the OP's experience. Had there been plenty of available seating, she wouldn't have had an unpleasant experience at Yak and Yeti :)

Considering that the conversation had veered off just the OP's experience I decided to share my experiences at Columbia Harbour House and Flame Tree BBQ :teacher: Including that there were no CMs policing the seating areas.

I think some of these people aren't waiting on food at all. They're looking for a place to sit while their family rides a ride or maybe they're just tired. If Disney would provide more benches and seating (which they've actually taken away in recent years) maybe it wouldn't be quite so much of a problem.

For us, we eat as soon as a CS opens at lunch, and we don't have troubles with seating. Also, a tip: Liberty Inn at Epcot usually seems to have a lot of seats both inside and out! That is the go-to spot if other places are full.

It’s outdoor seating, it’s randomly accessible to anyone. If someone wants a guaranteed place to sit without hassle that’s what TS are for. No need for all this back and forth arguing and negotiation. It’s in the title. Counter service ie: service ends at the counter.

I wish we could afford to eat TS at every meal, but that’s just not an option. I’m guessing it’s the same for the majority of people.

If we go back, we’ll just get some grab and go stuff from the carts or bring a lunch. I have no desire to have that experience again. It was miserable.

I think Yak & Yeti tends to be especially bad because of its location, with the restrooms and two not-for-everyone rides nearby. Disney does a pretty good job of patrolling other QS that have similar conditions making them an attractive place to "camp" while waiting for others in your party (Pecos Bill, Sunshine Seasons), but for whatever reason (maybe because they don't own/operate Y&Y directly?) they aren't proactive about discouraging non-diners from occupying tables there.

Common sense is always useful.
IF you are at a QS that is obviously busy thinking beyond your immediate needs makes sense.
Why anyone has to regulate this is beyond me.
If a member of my party is ill the last place I want them to sit is near other people eating. A first aid station would make better sense to my way of thinking.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter