• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

An Unpleasant Experience at Yak and Yeti CS

What I really do not like is when people assume you are sitting there for no reason and sit there with you. If I invite you to sit with me, then of course please sit. But to just sit down because I am one person or waiting for another family member is not right.

Just this part bothered me. We always ask first, but there's usually only two of us at WDW - if we see a table of four or more with one or two people sitting at it, and the rest of the place is packed, we always request to sit with them. If they say no because they have enough people who will fill the table, fine. IF they say no because they don't want other people sitting with them, I assume they are just ignorant and move on. :)

I wish we could afford to eat TS at every meal, but that’s just not an option. I’m guessing it’s the same for the majority of people.

If we go back, we’ll just get some grab and go stuff from the carts or bring a lunch. I have no desire to have that experience again. It was miserable.

No need to eat TS at every meal. You can avoid a bad table experience next time by eating counter service meals at off hours. Eat lunch as soon as the counter service location opens or mid afternoon. It's usually peaceful, quiet and easy to find a table.

Maybe it's because I'm a New Yorker but if I see a table with two people sitting at it and two empty seats, all of the other tables are taken and I have my food ready and need to sit down, I'm joining them. I'll ask politely if the seats are taken and if they say yes, I wouldn't question them, but there's no reason to leave available seating empty because it's slightly closer to another party than a separate table.

I’m not a New Yorker but come from a cultural background where asking to join a partially empty table is totally normal. And on the other side of it, if your entire party isn’t using the table, it’s expected that those seats will be used by someone else. A quick service/cafe/bakery is just that, quick, get in and out.

I have friends who didn’t grow up in a communal table atmosphere for cafeteria style dining and they rather not eat than sit with a stranger.

Similarly, if a QS seating area has plenty of seats, I think it's fine to take a rest there and have a snack from your backpack or what have you, but if it's busy and people are clearly looking to sit down, move along if all you are doing is sitting. It may not be required or enforced, but it's the polite thing to do.

I agree with the above.

There is a counter service restaurant we visit in Philly that will not let anyone without food sit down, Period. It’s amazing but they seem to have it down to a science where tables turn at the pace of the counter service.

But I can see how at Disney, there are tired children and others that need rest but that should only be made a 5 minute “wait for mom to get thru the line” type of table saving. If the line is backed up to the point people are standing, waiting for tables for 10+ minutes, it’s inconsiderate.

Just this part bothered me. We always ask first, but there's usually only two of us at WDW - if we see a table of four or more with one or two people sitting at it, and the rest of the place is packed, we always request to sit with them. If they say no because they have enough people who will fill the table, fine. IF they say no because they don't want other people sitting with them, I assume they are just ignorant and move on. :)

I completely understand this notion. If the party is small and has a large table, the expectation is to share, like a picnic table for example. I also think there is no reason to save spots that will not actually be used by someone in your party. I don't love sharing a table, but during busy times its a must.

My post was about tables that will eventually have all seats filled. I personally just dislike when I am at a table for four with another person and waiting on two others to join, and two strangers come and sit without asking. Now I have to go find a different table or say something risking an argument with strangers. In your post you say you ask first, and I truly appreciate that, but some have posted they do not think that kind of courtesy is needed in these situations for some reason.

QS areas also act as cooling off or rest stations for families with small children and the elderly.

:rolleyes:

then had to use some of my $900 an ounce bottled water to wipe up

Lol.

Common sense is always useful.

Agreed, but unfortunately, this seems to be in short supply for whatever reason. I'd say that people need it spelled out but sadly, it probably takes the chaperoning/policing of a CM to get people to behave appropriately.

We were at WDW from 12/18 to 12/28 and we didn't experience any issues finding seats at QS locations. We dined at Columbia Harbour House and Flame Tree BBQ at peak lunch times. We had one member of our party find a table while the remainder lined up. There were no CMs patrolling any of the seating areas and there was plenty of available seating.
Considering that the conversation had veered off just the OP's experience I decided to share my experiences at Columbia Harbour House and Flame Tree BBQ :teacher: Including that there were no CMs policing the seating areas.
But were there plenty of tables? Or did you grab a table when you first walked in because each restaurant was extremely full, then have a relatively long wait for your food? If the latter, isn't it likely there were people wandering around with trays of food but nowhere to eat?
Why anyone has to regulate this is beyond me.
Because so many parties grab a table in a crowded venue, then have a 20 or so minute wait for their food, while parties who just received their food have nowhere to eat.

No need to eat TS at every meal. You can avoid a bad table experience next time by eating counter service meals at off hours. Eat lunch as soon as the counter service location opens or mid afternoon. It's usually peaceful, quiet and easy to find a table.

Well it doesn’t akways work out that way, with the timing of other meals and ADRs and stuff.

That particular day we had slept in a bit after a late night (so had a later breakfast) and were leaving the park by 2 to catch the DME.

It’s outdoor seating, it’s randomly accessible to anyone. If someone wants a guaranteed place to sit without hassle that’s what TS are for. No need for all this back and forth arguing and negotiation. It’s in the title. Counter service ie: service ends at the counter.
:cheer2::worship:

It is just dh and I now and the problem we always seem to have is people who have finished eating but won’t move on. If you are finished and people are circling the area, please move on.

this was going to be my complaint as well. It's much easier to patrol people who obviously don't have food and are waiting at an empty table but those who are clearly done but just waiting is very irksome. Seems like it happens at TS as well which is to me is extremely selfish and rude. Because of these people lingering, someone elses reservation may be pushed back 30-40+ minutes which can be a hassle to others for various reasons.

I suppose in the end, there is no perfect solution to any of it.

While that may be true for actual restaurants, that is NOT the case for WDW. QS areas also act as cooling off or rest stations for families with small children and the elderly. If I were to bring my elderly grandmother, where would I have her rest and cool off from the heat other than in the general seating areas of QS restaurants? There are not that many benches, and most air conditioned areas are either lines/rides or merchandise. I would hope someone that is using the QS area to relax would be willing to share with someone looking to eat, but I don't think they necessarily need to move for you or have to share a table with your family either. To say if you are not eating in these areas, then you are not using what the area is FOR is just an incorrect assumption. If WDW wants these areas to be used exclusively for eating then supervision is needed and it needs to be made explicit to the guests as currently there are no signs stating otherwise. They have started to have CMs monitor areas for eating but this is only during peak times, and this is when I think you can assume you may sit with another family or a person holding a seat as it would be directly against WDWs intentions, but if it is not explicitly stated to the guests I would strongly disagree with you and you should wait your turn like the other families did for a table.

Almost literally everything is a bench, there are so many places to sit that aren't in a restaurant.

But were there plenty of tables? Or did you grab a table when you first walked in because each restaurant was extremely full, then have a relatively long wait for your food? If the latter, isn't it likely there were people wandering around with trays of food but nowhere to eat?.

So are you basically calling me a liar now? :rolleyes2 I plainly stated in my original post of my experience that we saw no shortage of tables during our QS meals from Dec 18th - 28th. My Dad had a heart attack last year and it was unseasonably warm during our stay. Therefore he opted to grab us a table while Mom and I waited in line to get the food. Both meals we saw at least half a dozen other tables in the immediate vicinity when we brought the food to the table Dad had been sitting at while we were in line.

A few years back, My Dad and I were at Pecos Bills. We waited until we had our food and found a table....we put our food ON the table with drinks....and we went to the fixing bar. Came back and and a UK couple was at our table. My Dad was like WTH? They said "you weren't here". We had to aggressively ask them to leave......crazy. I wish CMs did more patrolling..lol.

While that may be true for actual restaurants, that is NOT the case for WDW. QS areas also act as cooling off or rest stations for families with small children and the elderly. If I were to bring my elderly grandmother, where would I have her rest and cool off from the heat other than in the general seating areas of QS restaurants? There are not that many benches, and most air conditioned areas are either lines/rides or merchandise. I would hope someone that is using the QS area to relax would be willing to share with someone looking to eat, but I don't think they necessarily need to move for you or have to share a table with your family either. To say if you are not eating in these areas, then you are not using what the area is FOR is just an incorrect assumption. If WDW wants these areas to be used exclusively for eating then supervision is needed and it needs to be made explicit to the guests as currently there are no signs stating otherwise. They have started to have CMs monitor areas for eating but this is only during peak times, and this is when I think you can assume you may sit with another family or a person holding a seat as it would be directly against WDWs intentions, but if it is not explicitly stated to the guests I would strongly disagree with you and you should wait your turn like the other families did for a table.

WHy do people always insist that Disney is different in regards to their own behavior. The CS restaurants in the parks are NOT food courts. They are restaurants and the people who are trying to eat the food that they purchased in the CS restaurant trump folks using the tables and chairs to cool off. I cannot understand the mentality that makes folks insist that they can make their own rules while in Disney, as if they are in an alternate universe.

I guess this is what I do not understand. I do not view QS as a restaurant, to me it is more of a food court. Yes, a majority of people sit there to eat, but it is open to the public. No one is seating you and telling you what to do, so do as you please with your table. All be it eating or resting.

I have never been in a fast casual restaurant that has a border guard seating guests after they order and collect their food, and would never insist that since there is no such person, anyone can use that space as if they entered a food court in a mall. The same holds true for Disney CS restaurants. Just because you want to use space in a way that is convenient for you , but not in the manner the space was designed, does not make it okay. The logic you are using makes no sense. There is no signage that explains how restaurant seating is to be used so you get to take space without making a purchase? There have been posters who insist that the seating is a great picnic area for their lunches as well. Again, should these folks want to use tables during a timeframe that is slow and there is plenty of seating, and teh management is okay with that practice, fine. But if I buy my lunch at said restaurant and I have to either eat standing up or eat cold food because folks who are not buying food have taken the tables, I am going to be upset.

I would never sit at a table of busy restaurant to rest if we weren’t eating there. However, we do send my husband and oldest in line while my youngest and I find a table. And that’s anywhere, not just Disney. If I have the option of sitting for a few minutes until our food is ready and staying away from the craziness of the line area or standing with a full tray and hungry kids, you better believe I’m grabbing that table. I guess I’m also in the minority but I don’t see anything rude or inconsiderate about that as long as I’m a paying customer.

That being said, we are conscious of the people that are looking and make it a point to eat as quickly as possible and vacate the table.

Sitting just to take a break is another story.

Well it doesn’t akways work out that way, with the timing of other meals and ADRs and stuff.

That particular day we had slept in a bit after a late night (so had a later breakfast) and were leaving the park by 2 to catch the DME.

Of course things happen. What's done is done.

It just sounded as if you were never going to attempt a counter service lunch again. I was responding to that.
Plenty of people prefer counter service meals over table service meals. Avoiding busy times is key.

I never understand someone saying that someone else is ignorant just because they feel differently about a situation than the other person does. For whatever reason if someone says no when asked if they can share your table, it's their right to do so. You may not like it, but doesn't mean they're ignorant.

We prefer eating at less busy times so the restaurants aren't quite as crowded. Less chance of someone wanting to share a table. I don't see anything wrong with someone saving a table for their family that is in line getting food. If others don't like that, maybe they should wait for a less busy time to eat.

I do agree with those saying a counter service restaurant is not the place to just sit at a table to rest though. Plenty of other places to rest.

When DH and I go to WDW, or my DD and I go, we don't eat at peak times. Still, I wouldn't ask to share someone else's table. I would wait for a table to open up. I wouldn't take a large table for just 2 people though, I would wait for a smaller table to open up. I just don't care to share a table with strangers. Sorry if others think that is rude. Now maybe if they would just sit and not want to make small talk it would be okay. :) I just don't care to chat with them while we're eating. I don't care where you're from, where you work, how many kids you have, blah blah blah. Just eat your food and be quiet. :)

This really speaks to the me, me, me mentality.

I've got my seat, too bad, so sad that you don't and now your food is getting cold. Ha ha. Maybe next time you will be faster.

Really, people? If there are customers with food trays, unable to find a seat and you are holding a table for your family that just got in line. Get up. Or at least offer the table to them. If there is a long line, they will probably be through eating before your family gets out of line. If you need somewhere to sit, find a seat that doesn't have a table.

Its a two way street. Sure, people should have manners and offer a seat in the instance you describe. But people will worry about their own family first. By the same token, the family who can't find a seat is well within their right to ask a person at a table with space available if they can use part of it.

When guests are prevented from sitting, by CMs, until they have their food, it works. Guests already I possession of their food are able to sit and eat with no problem.

Why do you feel it would be different if guests self-policed?

If Disney has an explicit policy on not sitting without food, with signs posted, guests will know they are in the wrong. Or guests who are iffy about asking others to move will see that they can do that. It wouldn't be as effective as CMs monitoring the situation, but it would leave less ambiguity about whether it's wrong or ok to do at least.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter