Anaheim to Aloha! A Mother/Daughter Trip to California and Aulani...May 2023! Updated 9/27!!!

Hah! Yes, or at least that's the rumor! But I think they are installing him there very soon!
Huh! Wonder where they'll put him? He doesn't seem to fit in anywhere that I can think of at MK's HM.
Good to know! But yes, there were so many stairs, just off the top of my head, Jungle Cruise, Indiana Jones, Incredicoaster, Toy Story Mania, Splash, Guardians, Space Mountain...I'm sure there are more. My guess is that with the small footprint of DL, they have to utilize all the vertical space they can!
Had no idea! :laughing:
Yeah, this pizza didn't even look as good as Pizza Rizzo, if you can believe that! :rotfl:
:sick:
I'm not sure how you're still alive, either! We leave those shifts to the young girls just out of Nursing school!
Why didn't I think of that? Now if I can just get some young girls out of Nursing school...
How much do you think they know about air navigation?
Don't say I didn't warn you!
You did. I should've stayed warned.

We left off heading onto Haunted Mansion, which was essentially the same as WDW with one exception that should be fixed by our next trip in October...The Hatbox Ghost!

I'm looking forward to this! I hope it's done before the Parties start.

One notable difference in DL compared to WDW
is how almost all of the queues have stairs in them.

That sounds like a lot of exercise.

This was a fun ride, definitely better than Dinosaur!

I want to try this someday.

q5.jpeg

This menu does look really good. DL gets the best food.

I would go as far as to say it's probably the best QS I've ever had in a Disney park.

Very high praise.

but were stopped in our tracks by a Wookie!
q10.jpeg

Love this photo!!!

Great trip report! We are going to DL next May, so it is fun to see what’s going on there. We were last there in about 2015, so it has been a while. Back then they still had paper fast passes as an option! Our favorite food was the Carnation Cafe. It was simple but very good.

I'm following along and am excited to see how your trip goes, as I'm about to start planning a similar DL/LA trip for my two teens for spring break!

Sorry for ghosting this TR! Got a little sidetracked and the whole summer just completely got away from me! Allie is already back in school and this trip is a long-distant memory at this point but I'm going to try to continue and remember as best I can! If you're still interested, thanks for sticking through it!

Not the PP, but I have been on both multiple times. Indiana Jones is a much better ride. More theming and less just battering you around.

I totally agree and since I've abandoned this TR it sounds like they've announced we will be getting our own version of Indiana Jones in AK!

I have but many years ago and I did love it! Nothing can beat Dinosaur in my book! Mainly for the wonderful memories!

I was very sad for you when they made the announcement it's being replaced :(

Huh! Wonder where they'll put him? He doesn't seem to fit in anywhere that I can think of at MK's HM.

I think he's going in the hall where the clock is? I just know a lot of people are upset because he is appearing before Madame Leota conjures the spirits. I don't know if I care that much about that, I'm in a wait and see mode.

I'm looking forward to this! I hope it's done before the Parties start.

Well, I'm sure you know that they announced it won't be happening until November. I thought that was a little strange and really hoped it would be there for Halloween as well!

That sounds like a lot of exercise.

It comes in handy, I guess, when you're stuffing your face with beignets!

Great trip report! We are going to DL next May, so it is fun to see what’s going on there. We were last there in about 2015, so it has been a while. Back then they still had paper fast passes as an option! Our favorite food was the Carnation Cafe. It was simple but very good.

:welcome:

Thanks for reading along! Allie and I ate there and we loved it!

I'm following along and am excited to see how your trip goes, as I'm about to start planning a similar DL/LA trip for my two teens for spring break!

:welcome:

Thanks for the comment! Sounds like a fun Spring Break to look forward to!

MAY 18, 2023
MAGIC HAPPENS

After our fun encounter with Chewbacca, it was time to ride Rise of the Resistance...
1.jpeg
Allie and I were in WDW on December 5, 2019 and rode on the very first day it opened there. It was such a crazy morning waking up at 3am and joining the masses of people at DHS not knowing a thing about Boarding Groups!
Such a fun memory and because of that this ride will always remind me of that day :love:

If I recall correctly, DL's version is literally the same as the one at WDW.

Saving the resistance made us hungry again and it was time for a snack.

I got in the long line at Jolly Holiday Bakery and Allie headed to
the Gibson Girl Ice Cream Parlor and came back with this beauty...
2.jpeg

Everything looked amazing in Jolly Holiday
but I had been wanting to try the Matterhorn Macaroon since seeing it in a video...
3.jpeg
It was good, but don't think I'd get it again since there were so many better choices there. Don't worry, we go back another day and I made a better choice that time!

Time for our first and last ride on DL's Splash Mountain...
4.jpeg
I didn't notice those two guys photo-bombing
until after when I was looking through my pics...so funny!
5.jpeg6.jpeg
We LOVED LOVED LOVED WDW's Splash Mountain and would go on as many times as we could when we were there. But this version was a one and done for us!
I'm glad we went on, especially since it closed shortly after our trip,
but we were absolutely SOAKED!
I've never gotten so wet on the WDW version of the ride!
Just after the drop, the water (Tidal-Wave!!) came sloshing up and over the side of the boat and my pants were completely drenched!
Still a fun time and we were glad we got to say good-bye
to B'rer Rabbit and B'rer Bear one last time :lovestruc
And as an aside, I am really looking forward to the new Tiana's version of the ride!

As we were heading out, we noticed the ropes were up on Main Street
so we decided to stop and watch the parade.
Luckily the sun was out and pretty much dried my pants off while we waited.

Magic Happens...
7.jpeg8.jpeg9.jpeg10.jpeg

The parade was cute but not as good as Festival of Fantasy.
That could be just be my bias, but I like the FOF song better and honestly, when the Maleficent Dragon is working, she's hard to compete with!

MAY 18-19, 2023
WHAT THE FORKY??

We poked around Downtown Disney and shopped for a little bit
and then decided we wanted burgers for dinner so we headed to...
1.jpeg2.jpeg3.jpeg
This place is similar to D-Luxe Burger, but dare I say, these were better.
Black Tap is also known for some crazy, over the top milkshakes,
but we didn't have room for those after our burgers.

Afterwards, we were thinking of heading back to the fireworks,
but once the sun went down it was absolutely freezing again
and we couldn't bring ourselves to go back.
I also think the jet lag was kind of kicking in
and our bodies were still on East Coast time so staying out until 9-10pm was rough.
In hindsight, if we ever go back, I would like to spend a couple days
acclimating to the West Coast time change before spending time in DL
and trying to stay out late every night.

The next morning we headed back to DCA,
4.jpeg5.jpeg6.jpeg

where we rope dropped the Animation Academy!
7.jpeg

It sounds so stupid but we used to love the AA at DHS
and Allie really wanted to go see who was on the schedule to draw that morning.
We were literally almost the only people there and got to draw one of our favorites...
8.jpeg9.jpeg10.jpeg

Artists we are not :rotfl2: but it was super fun and makes a great souvenir!

popcorn::
You are on my dream trip!!!! My first ride probably would have been It's a Small World or Pirates. But after those 2, I would be riding Haunted Mansion and then Space Mountain. The Mint Juleps and beinets would have been my breakfast!

Your trip really makes me want to do a Disneyland vacation! Maybe next year!
It does look chilly from your pictures.
The time differences between east and west coast would be hard to acclimate to right away.
Is the burger place in Downtown Disney? I never heard of it! Looks really good.
I love Forky, fun to draw him!

Allie headed to
the Gibson Girl Ice Cream Parlor and came back with this beauty...
Whoa! Decadent! Did she finish it all??
Time for our first and last ride on DL's Splash Mountain...
Sigh...
I didn't notice those two guys photo-bombing
until after when I was looking through my pics...so funny!
:laughing:
Noticed the ponchos right away, of course. Thought "That seems excessive."

Clearly I have not been on DL's version!
I'm glad we went on, especially since it closed shortly after our trip,
but we were absolutely SOAKED!
I'm so surprised by that! Usually, at MK, I barely get a drop (pun fully intended) on me.
Just after the drop, the water (Tidal-Wave!!) came sloshing up and over the side of the boat and my pants were completely drenched!
Oh wow! Next time you'll either wear bathing suits or full wet weather gear!
And as an aside, I am really looking forward to the new Tiana's version of the ride!
I am too. I don't know if I'll like it more... but I'm definitely willing to give it a try and decide then.
when the Maleficent Dragon is working, she's hard to compete with!
::yes::
Sounds interesting. I'd try that for sure.
I also think the jet lag was kind of kicking in
and our bodies were still on East Coast time so staying out until 9-10pm was rough.
In hindsight, if we ever go back, I would like to spend a couple days
acclimating to the West Coast time change
I'm never really bothered by the time changes in the US, since I live in the middle. One hour one way or an hour or two the other... Easy.
It sounds so stupid but we used to love the AA at DHS
Not stupid at all. I still like to do that in AK.

Hi Kelly! What a fun trip with your daughter - I can’t wait to hear about all of your adventures! A combination of Disneyland and Aulani does indeed sound like a dream trip.

Despite my many trips to Disney World I’ve never been to Disneyland. I’d love to go there someday when my girls are a bit older - it would be so much fun to try all the “different” rides!

I was so excited to see AA when we went to DL/CA! It was one of my fav's too
I wish they'd bring it back to DHS, it's just not the same over at AK!

You are on my dream trip!!!! My first ride probably would have been It's a Small World or Pirates.
Both solid choices! And now that I've been on, Pirates would definitely be my first ride next time!

The Mint Juleps and beinets would have been my breakfast!
So delicious! I wish WDW would bring them both to the MK!

Allie and I were in WDW on December 5, 2019 and rode on the very first day it opened there. It was such a crazy morning waking up at 3am and joining the masses of people at DHS not knowing a thing about Boarding Groups!
Such a fun memory and because of that this ride will always remind me of that day :love:
I think that was one of the things I love best about Disney. They are not just rides, but special experiences filled with memories.
It was good, but don't think I'd get it again since there were so many better choices there. Don't worry, we go back another day and I made a better choice that time!
It's interesting looking at least! Was it meringue on top?
The parade was cute but not as good as Festival of Fantasy.
That could be just be my bias, but I like the FOF song better and honestly, when the Maleficent Dragon is working, she's hard to compete with!
The Malificient Dragon is the best! I completely missed FoF this summer. I had intentions to see it but it just didn't happen.
Artists we are not :rotfl2: but it was super fun and makes a great souvenir!
These are so cute!!

Your trip really makes me want to do a Disneyland vacation! Maybe next year!

Yes, you should! You will love it!

Is the burger place in Downtown Disney? I never heard of it

It is, and it was so good. No need for an ADR either, just a little bit of a wait to get in and then you order at a counter like at The Polite Pig and they bring you your food.

My swan song- even thinking about going on a ride deserves a snack if you ask me.

:rotfl2:

I would’ve done the same. Gotta rope drop the heavy hitters ya know.

Absolutely! (Also, I hope there are no first-timers reading this and following our advice!)

Whoa! Decadent! Did she finish it all??

I can't remember but I'm guessing YES! That girl loves her ice cream! ::yes::

Noticed the ponchos right away, of course. Thought "That seems excessive."

We were just worried about our hair getting wet!

I'm so surprised by that! Usually, at MK, I barely get a drop (pun fully intended) on me.

It surprised us too! I'm kind of glad I didn't know because if I thought I was going to walk out of there with a soggy bottom, it would have been a hard pass!

I'm never really bothered by the time changes in the US, since I live in the middle. One hour one way or an hour or two the other... Easy.

That's kind of nice. I didn't think it would affect me so much but I'm kind of an early-to-bed, early-to-rise kind of person anyway and just didn't do well with any late nights.

Last edited:
I'm so happy you picked this back up.

Thanks for coming back!

Love reading about DL & DCA especially since I've never been.

You and your girls need to plan a trip and go!

Hi Kelly! What a fun trip with your daughter - I can’t wait to hear about all of your adventures!

Hello! Thanks for coming over!

A combination of Disneyland and Aulani does indeed sound like a dream trip.

It really was! And oddly, it still is! I find myself now dreaming of going back someday!

Despite my many trips to Disney World I’ve never been to Disneyland. I’d love to go there someday when my girls are a bit older - it would be so much fun to try all the “different” rides!

Now that I've gone to DLR, I wish I had taken the kids when they were young. They would have loved it!

I think that was one of the things I love best about Disney. They are not just rides, but special experiences filled with memories.

:love:

You've got that right!

It's interesting looking at least! Was it meringue on top?

Nah, it was a sugary drip and kind of blah. Cute though!

The Malificient Dragon is the best! I completely missed FoF this summer. I had intentions to see it but it just didn't happen.

Really? I'm surprised by this since your trip was so long! Was that your "rest at the resort" time?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter