Analysis Paralysis over Coronado v Caribbean v POR

highlander357

Earning My Ears
I have a first world problem and I could use some advice. I am planning a trip the last week of October. My wife and I will be traveling without kids. I am the WDW fan and she tolerates it. Rather than a commando march through parks everyday, I want to plan a more low key week to better accommodate my wife's preferences. I am thinking of only getting 3 days in the parks and having the other 3 days be resort/anything other than park days. For parks, our main focus would be Food and Wine, although we will get park hoppers to allow us to visit MK and AK. My wife isn't a big fan of HS so we probably won't go there.

I am no rookie to WDW but I don't go every year so I am sure I have much to learn. Right now I am considering CS, CB, and POR but it seems like a very close race between the three:

CS seems like there is more to do at the resort, and more dining options, for hang out at the pool/resort days. I have never stayed there.
CB has the Skyliner which would be handy for the Food and Wine days. I have only ever flown over the top of this resort.
POR is the only one of the three I have stayed at before. When we went with the kids hanging out at a quiet pool was nice. Having access to the boat to Disney Springs is nice to have on non-park days.

Is there something obvious that I am overlooking? Any thoughts/advice would be appreciated.

What does she like? That might help with advice. Does she enjoy hot tub time, having a quiet drink, walking around Disney Springs?

Out of those I would pick POR. I enjoyed how quiet it was, the boat to DS and grabbing beignets. I also reallllyyyy don't like the skyliner and the bus ride to Epcot is short.

CSR for an adults trip. Pretty with nice food and bar options.

If the budget can swing it go Tower for a more hotel feel with its indoor hallways vs motel feel of outdoor hallways (but even if you can’t I’d still go CSR over the other 2 for this trip).

If you can stay in Gran Destino tower, definitely CSR. It's just a beautiful space -- deluxe accommodations for moderate prices. When the NBA had their bubble season, the top-tier teams stayed at Gran Destino. My wife and I stayed there Club Level once, and ran into Bob Chapek, Josh D'Amaro, and Christine McCarthy -- Disney's entire executive team was in town for a strategic retreat, and that's where they decided to stay!

Otherwise, I would recommend CBR, for the Skyliner (which can take you to the parks, but also to BC/YC/BW), as well as easy walking distance from the Riviera, which has some excellent dining options and some lovely ambience. So you don't really just have CBR, you have half of WDW at your fingertips!

But honestly, you can't go wrong with any of those. Have fun!!

All three have pros and cons, so we need a little more info . . .

Would you be spending any time at Disney Springs? Is your wife a shopper? There are a lot of good restaurants there too. If DS figures prominently in your plans, then POR or POFQ are good choices. There is both the boat and a bus to DS, plus you can enjoy the amenities of both resorts when staying at either one.

Is your wife’s idea of relaxing going somewhere tropical? Then CBR would be your choice. Plus you are right next to some good dining at Riviera Resort as well, although the two resorts do not share amenities like the PO resorts do.

Does your wife prefer the more traditional hotel experience? Then CSR is your choice. Although the resort can get busy if there is a convention going on, it has a much more mainstream resort feel to it, especially in the tower. There are good dining options there as well.

I have stayed at all three, and enjoyed all three. It really boils down to which theme is the most appealing, since you plan to spend 50% of your time at the resort.

I agree with PP, it really depends on what you want out of it. I have stayed at all three as well but now days, given a choice I'm at CSR. I just like the look and feel of it better and I'm addicted to 3Bridges. I don't do DS so POR doesn't have as big a draw for me there and I'm not a fan of the sky liner so CBR is no for me just because of that.

Another option, look into Swan/Dolphin. Sometimes you can get a room there for the same as, if not less, than CSR. It is walking distance to Epcot and the BW, almost on par with the Disney deluxe resorts. Be warned, it does not have all the Disney touches in the rooms, you won't be hit in the face with Mickey and you can't use your MBs to get in the rooms or charge back to them from the parks. They do have some great food options and a really good pool area.

Have you thought about Swan/Dolphin? Around the same price as the moderates you're looking at. Location wise, it's walking to EPCOT (and HS if you did decide to go there). Right near the boardwalk and all the activities there. You have access to restaurants at Boardwalk, Beach Club. Also walking distance to skyliner at EPCOT if you wanted to go to other skyliner resorts.

What does she like? That might help with advice. Does she enjoy hot tub time, having a quiet drink, walking around Disney Springs?

Out of those I would pick POR. I enjoyed how quiet it was, the boat to DS and grabbing beignets. I also reallllyyyy don't like the skyliner and the bus ride to Epcot is short.
POR is the first resort I stayed at when my kids were young so it does hold a special place for me. We will definitely go to DS at least once but not everyday. Thanks for the reply.

CSR for an adults trip. Pretty with nice food and bar options.

If the budget can swing it go Tower for a more hotel feel with its indoor hallways vs motel feel of outdoor hallways (but even if you can’t I’d still go CSR over the other 2 for this trip).
Maybe I am crazy but I have watched trip reports on Youtube and I actually liked the look of the Ranchero location more than inside the Tower. (Assuming standard rooms for both.) My first experience was Alligator Bayou at POR and I always liked that "out in the woods" feel. Thanks for the reply.

If you can stay in Gran Destino tower, definitely CSR. It's just a beautiful space -- deluxe accommodations for moderate prices. When the NBA had their bubble season, the top-tier teams stayed at Gran Destino. My wife and I stayed there Club Level once, and ran into Bob Chapek, Josh D'Amaro, and Christine McCarthy -- Disney's entire executive team was in town for a strategic retreat, and that's where they decided to stay!

Otherwise, I would recommend CBR, for the Skyliner (which can take you to the parks, but also to BC/YC/BW), as well as easy walking distance from the Riviera, which has some excellent dining options and some lovely ambience. So you don't really just have CBR, you have half of WDW at your fingertips!

But honestly, you can't go wrong with any of those. Have fun!!
Thanks. Deep down I know I am overthinking it, but that is part of the fun. I looked at the GDT rooms but I actually like the outdoor theming of the moderates more than staying in a typical hotel set up. Club level isn't in my budget so I won't be able to pass on a hello to Josh for you! Thanks for the reply.

All three have pros and cons, so we need a little more info . . .

Would you be spending any time at Disney Springs? Is your wife a shopper? There are a lot of good restaurants there too. If DS figures prominently in your plans, then POR or POFQ are good choices. There is both the boat and a bus to DS, plus you can enjoy the amenities of both resorts when staying at either one.

Is your wife’s idea of relaxing going somewhere tropical? Then CBR would be your choice. Plus you are right next to some good dining at Riviera Resort as well, although the two resorts do not share amenities like the PO resorts do.

Does your wife prefer the more traditional hotel experience? Then CSR is your choice. Although the resort can get busy if there is a convention going on, it has a much more mainstream resort feel to it, especially in the tower. There are good dining options there as well.

I have stayed at all three, and enjoyed all three. It really boils down to which theme is the most appealing, since you plan to spend 50% of your time at the resort.
Thanks for the reply. I hadn't considered the Riviera connection to CBR. You are just making my decision harder!

I agree with PP, it really depends on what you want out of it. I have stayed at all three as well but now days, given a choice I'm at CSR. I just like the look and feel of it better and I'm addicted to 3Bridges. I don't do DS so POR doesn't have as big a draw for me there and I'm not a fan of the sky liner so CBR is no for me just because of that.

Another option, look into Swan/Dolphin. Sometimes you can get a room there for the same as, if not less, than CSR. It is walking distance to Epcot and the BW, almost on par with the Disney deluxe resorts. Be warned, it does not have all the Disney touches in the rooms, you won't be hit in the face with Mickey and you can't use your MBs to get in the rooms or charge back to them from the parks. They do have some great food options and a really good pool area.
Have you thought about Swan/Dolphin? Around the same price as the moderates you're looking at. Location wise, it's walking to EPCOT (and HS if you did decide to go there). Right near the boardwalk and all the activities there. You have access to restaurants at Boardwalk, Beach Club. Also walking distance to skyliner at EPCOT if you wanted to go to other skyliner resorts.
I really didn't look at Swan or Dolphin. You both bring up good points, but I am a sucker for my WDW resort theming. Although the location is great and we typically visit the Boardwalk at least once a trip.

Thanks everyone for the input. Writing my replies helped me realize that I keep coming back to CSR so that is where I am going to book. Going to go standard room, request Casitas 4 or 5 and hope for the best.

Of course depending on if any discounts come out for my travel period, maybe I will revisit my decision. Thanks again.

Maybe I am crazy but I have watched trip reports on Youtube and I actually liked the look of the Ranchero location more than inside the Tower. (Assuming standard rooms for both.) My first experience was Alligator Bayou at POR and I always liked that "out in the woods" feel. Thanks for the reply.
You may be crazy- but you can take that opinion all the way to the bank with the dough you’d save 😜

We have stayed at CSR multiple times now, and it’s hands down our favorite moderate. We’ve stayed at all 4 over the years, and now come back to Coronado. We only stay in the lower buildings by choice. We have been in Ranchos several times, and have loved the resort feel of it. I like to open my door and see all the beautiful landscaping. Plus, 1 minute to the second bus pickup to the parks. Short walk to a quiet pool, which was never busy, so like a private pool. In pool was just a little further.

You would probably prefer the outer buildings then. Personally I prefer the tower, but that's because I'm a sucker for the Barcelona style theming and from a practical standpoint its centralized location mitigates a lot of the downsides to CSR (mainly the size).

You can't go wrong with either, though. I'm a deluxe person and on record as liking CSR more than some of the deluxes I've stayed at. For a resort heavy trip it's by far got the best amenities and dining on site of all the mods, fantastic pools, etc. And it feels more "adult" without losing that Disney touch. If you do want to go into the parks though, it's a much more centralized location than "Animal Kingdom Resort Area" would suggest. I timed it one morning and it took all of 9 minutes to get to MK from there on the bus. I was staying in the tower though, which is the last stop on the way out.

Coronado. I've stayed there solo twice in the last 2 years and for the price you can't beat it. It's much cheaper than both CBR and POR and for your resort days you have great bars, nice restaurants, cool pool and the largest hot tub on property. I've never minded taking the bus to/from resorts so while Skyliner would be nice if you wanted to easily pop over to the Boardwalk area it's not worth the extra $100+ a night.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter