And I am here for the Food...A Disney SOMETIME (AUG '20 mini trip) Report (9/10 update)

THE SUPER SECRET SQUIRREL PLANS

So we still have to verify with work about the time off...shouldn't be an issue. I have a rental car booked for now...that's it. We have some potential flights selected...will likely do SWA on the way down with points and Spirit on the way back with cash...since it will be about $25 for the return flight.

We have DVC points and pretty much have anything available to us in terms of rooms. Right now we are leaning towards Boulder Ridge at Wilderness Lodge. Is the main pool there open? Must check into that as I know many are not.

Already have 1 day hopper tickets in our accounts...but of course can't use those to hop and seems a shame to use them as single park tickets. So might have to just buy 4 day tickets. One park per day...and then back home.

Restaurants...I know not many are open. We may have to wing it or do they still take walk-ins? There are only 2 of us.

I expect we will solidify all of these in another day or two. Are we completely crazy? Perhaps. That's why I am only letting the people reading this in on our Super Secret Squirrel plans. Shhhh...don't tell anybody else.

Signs, Signs, every there's SIGNS!

What am I talking about?

Shhh...don't tell anybody else as I am only sharing it here right now...but we just might be going to Disney World NEXT WEEK!

Hi Dina, :wave2: I am so excited for you! I happened upon your trip report this evening, and binged read (is that a real thing????) :surfweb: it straight through! You have been through a lot of ups and downs with trips this year, and I am happy something good is happening! I think the airlines and the resorts are doing everything possible to make sure that surfaces are sanitized and travel is safe. You will have a great get away!

We have 3 day park hopper tickets purchased at the Navy Base for our November trip and I still need to figure out how to convert those to 4 day single park tickets. The Navy base recreation office is not open, so can Disney convert them for me, or will I need to go to Shades of Green when we get to Florida to switch them over? So far, I can't figure out what to do about that. I will be interested to see what you do with your current 1 day hopper, and where you ended up exchanging it.

Have a great adventure! :ccat:

Dina, :wave2: I am so excited for you! I happened upon your trip report this evening, and binged read (is that a real thing????) :surfweb: it straight through! You have been through a lot of ups and downs with trips this year, and I am happy something good is happening! I think the airlines and the resorts are doing everything possible to make sure that surfaces are sanitized and travel is safe. You will have a great get away!

We have 3 day park hopper tickets purchased at the Navy Base for our November trip and I still need to figure out how to convert those to 4 day single park tickets. The Navy base recreation office is not open, so can Disney convert them for me, or will I need to go to Shades of Green when we get to Florida to switch them over? So far, I can't figure out what to do about that. I will be interested to see what you do with your current 1 day hopper, and where you ended up exchanging it.

Yay and hello! I agree that we'll feel totally safe within the Disney bubble...it's the getting there and back where we feel we are most at risk.

Yes our 1 day hopper was purchased at Shades of Green...and they dont' really sell those at Disney so I don't think upgrading them is an option. However they do a 3-day hopper at Disney so I would think you can convert it...but I'm not sure about converting it DOWN to single tickets can be done. With many of our SOG purchased tickets, I've gone to customer service at the Disney parks and basically been told I'd be better off returning to SOG to have them converted to what I wanted (I once tried to convert a 1 day 1 park to a 1 day hopper...and had to go to Shades to do that). So that's why I'm thinking I'll just hang on to the hopper for our next trip when we can hop again....and just bite the bullet and get non-hopper tickets now. I noticed SOG has a much more limited selection now w/r to Disney tickets though and it's painful for me to think about what I'll spend for just a 3 or 4 day single park per day ticket, when it's close to what I used to spend for the hoppers for equal time. Oh well.

Ok...still keeping things hush-hush on this...hopefully nobody I know in my "real" world finds me here to read this. Even my kid will probably avoid me like the plague when we return but that's okay...not like we see much of him anyway. And we are doing our best to avoid the weekends (i.e. more locals) so I've decided in the interest of that we will stick to just 3 out of 4 parks. Therefore I'm going to skip AK, as much as I do enjoy me some FoP and EE, it's okay we know we will be back. DH is really gung-ho on RoTR though I'm not sure how difficult that will be to get. Our neighbor supposedly rode it 3 times in a day last week...that seems unrealistic to me. And we need to do a little bit of F&W at EPCOT of course and I must see MK. So there we have it...our 3 parks.

We are looking to fly out late Tuesday evening and return on a late Friday evening flight. While normally I am okay with Spirit, my FILs neighbor mentioned flying back on them recently and said it was PACKED. So maybe in the interest of safety...we pay the money and do SWA this time around. We have some points to use anyway.

Our neighbor supposedly rode it 3 times in a day last week...that seems unrealistic to me.
OK first of all I find this suspect as well lol. You can only join a boarding group ONCE so he didn't get both 10 and 2; so unless for some reason he got major pixie dust I don't see it happening (or happened)!

But yeah on your hopeful trip! Of course having been to both Universal and Disney since they reopened I highly suggest going ::yes:: We did feel way safer once in the parks/resorts than on the planes but other than a way to crowded gate area on the way down last month even that wasn't too bad. The planes themselves, at least JetBlue, are doing a great job of staying clean and enforcing masks. I've heard from co-workers and clients that AA isn't as great about distancing on their planes. Also MCO both times was so not crowded it was easy everywhere to not be on top of others! My fingers are crossed for you!

OK first of all I find this suspect as well lol. You can only join a boarding group ONCE so he didn't get both 10 and 2; so unless for some reason he got major pixie dust I don't see it happening (or happened)!

But yeah on your hopeful trip! Of course having been to both Universal and Disney since they reopened I highly suggest going ::yes:: We did feel way safer once in the parks/resorts than on the planes but other than a way to crowded gate area on the way down last month even that wasn't too bad. The planes themselves, at least JetBlue, are doing a great job of staying clean and enforcing masks. I've heard from co-workers and clients that AA isn't as great about distancing on their planes. Also MCO both times was so not crowded it was easy everywhere to not be on top of others! My fingers are crossed for you!

AGREED. I think he misspoke...maybe 3 times over the course of several days or maybe he meant the OTHER Star Wars ride. Maybe it broke down and they were able to come back. Either way no biggie...that isn't the deciding factor for us. Well DH really wants to get on RoTR this time. I do feel like as long as we are within the "bubble" we will be fine. Good to hear about the airport too. I think at this point we are going to stick to SWA for flights...already booked one of them. :)

I 100% think you should go. We felt very safe!!!!

Always great to hear another positive review. Note: we still won't be telling many people at all where we are going until we have been home for 2 weeks MAYBE. :)

I never imagine I'd have so much hesitation and trepidation in planning a WDW trip...and yet here I am right now.

I have pulled the trigger on flights down...we are booked for a Tuesday evening flight since DH has some work stuff to finish up Tuesday. Otherwise we would be leaving earlier. With nothing to do at the parks at night anyway, I should feel no guilt arriving around 10pm and just settling in for the night.

I'm working on getting my 3-day park passes...which is turning out to be more complicated than I thought. My usual go-to places aren't open or stocking what I need this time. I'm still hopeful but we'll see. Once I purchase those I'll feel a little bit better I think.

We are currently having a debate on flights. I'm keen on returning Friday evening, knowing that a Friday evening flight is probably going to be less crowded than a Saturday morning or afternoon. DH wants to spend that Friday night there and come back Saturday. I'm not feeling that. Therefore I haven't booked the return flight OR the room.

With regards to DVC resort rooms, for the first time in forever we have a WIDE selection of choices. Right now we are leaning towards one of the Wildnerness Lodge studio rooms because that is where we had planned to stay in March. With my current plan having us at MK on our last day, a MK resort is the best bet. I feel like hopping on a boat back from MK to our resort will be easy to manage.

Then there is the food. I know we should book some ADRs...but I'm torn about where and while I considered a return to Cali Grill for the first time in years, the menu isn't looking great to me. The same could be said for other TS restaurants. I think I have 2 ADRs booked right now but part of me thinks maybe I'll wait until I have confirmed park reservations and then book restaurants within those parks.

If I were betting, I'd say the odds of me actually going through with this right now are about 85% or slightly higher. I think it will be a nice little escape for us and we haven't done an adults only Disney trip in many years. It will definitely be different, and I'll miss all the shows and evening entertainment (though that is a plus for DH...he can't stand them) but I think overall just walking around my happy place for a few days will be nice.

Ok so it's now pretty much a done deal.

1. Flights booked :tigger:
  2. Resort booked (Wilderness Lodge) :ccat:
  3. Car booked :car:
  4. Tickets...still in progress on this one
  5. Dining...yes there are a few...TWO to be exact...most likely to change popcorn:: (I can survive on Disney popcorn after all)
There will be no social media about this except here...so you are all sworn to secrecy. :rolleyes1 Super. Secret. Squirrel. Secrecy. I don't think anybody local knows about my presence here.

It's pretty sad that I feel the need to NOT mention this to anybody. I swear it's like I'm heading into the land of the plague!

And now...RotR needs to get back up and running by next week or I will have one disappointed almost 50yo kid! :)

Still having a hard time believing that in less than a week I will be in my happy place again. In a mask. Sweating like crazy. And yet looking forward to all of it.

Last edited:
SSS Update

Can you handle the rapid fire updates that might be happening in the next few days?

Should I do some live trip reporting in this thread next week?

Update #1: Modified my car rental...found it a little bit cheaper...$20 savings or so

Update #2: Ordered super special MagicBands for DH and myself last night. Do we need them? Not really but I decided to splurge a little bit on this unique trip. Photos to come when I get them!

Update #3: Added some ADRs...we now have Il Mulino for Wed night. I have heard/read good things about this place. Now the question is how fancy do we need to dress since we might go there right from HS park. Also added lunch at Tony's and dinner at The Plaza at MK after reading about the abysmal offerings in QS there, not that I was ever a fan of any of them anyway. We may just head over to the CR where I know I like the food there instead. We have options at least.

Update #4: I have a mini spreadsheet put together to track all of this stuff...of course. Still haven't shared our news with very many people. It might just be something we share once we are back at home for a few weeks.

SSS Update

So surprise surprise...already have some changes. Typical me.

Update #4: Added some ADRs...we now have Il Mulino
SANAA for Wed night. We ditched Il Mulino and will save it for another time. I will be fine rolling from a park to Sanaa and we haven't been there in a while...it holds some great memories for us. We once planned a last minute trip to Disney...while in that restaurant. Plus they have a beer there that DH likes and can only get there. With us not going to the AK park, I can also get an animal fix here too. I also managed to get a reservation at Beaches and Cream for our EPCOT day. I do love me some dessert and hopefully after a day of feasting on F&W food this will be the perfect ending. Still have lunch at Tony's and dinner at The Plaza at MK after reading about the abysmal offerings in QS there, not that I was ever a fan of any of them anyway. We may just head over to the CR where I know I like the food there instead. We have options at least.

Update #5: Ah the great ticket saga. This is going to be interesting. So SOG called me for my ticket pre-order. Took my payment via phone and the woman tells me they will FedEx them, have to be home to sign for them probably ship today to arrive Mon or Tue latest OR they could ship Monday. Yeah...that's not gonna work. I ask if she can send me photos of the tickets before sending...and then she says that won't work as I have to have the hard tickets and can't scan my phone. My rebuttal was NO I just need the ticket numbers to link to my MDE account so I can use my MagicBand for entry. She responds...by putting me on hold.

Now I KNOW I've read others have had them do just this...send photos or the numbers...but she clearly doesn't get how things work for Disney. She says maybe I should just get my tickets at the ticket center...and I reply that according to what I read only at the SOG website it wasn't open...of course that could be wrong and not updated.

Anyway she finally says they will leave them at the front desk for me and I can pick them up on arrival...I had already told her I wasn't staying at SOG but I know I can get there. Hopefully there won't be any issues with me coming on the property without a reservation in the current climate. So I'm still a bit worried about how this will work as we plan to hit a park first thing Wed but we won't have tickets to make a park reservation until Tues night. I don't think there is a risk in waiting. I am wondering if it is worth it to make a park reservation with my current 1 day hopper that is linked to my account...and then cancel and rebook once I have my 3-day tickets? Any risk in that...I just don't know how bound you are to a reservation/ticket having not really read up about it.

We are staying at WL so not too far to travel to go to SOG Wed morning if necessary...how tough would it be to make a day of reservation at a park? I just don't know these things right now. I really really hope those tickets are there...I've never done this before as I've always just bought directly at the SOG ticket center which is awesome.

That's about it. We have let the cat out of the big with our family, just our kids and my FIL know right now. And you guys of course.

My daughter really wants to go...but I said not this time. However since school is already going to be virtual for all of them maybe we'll plan a trip in October or something for DD and DH birthday and they can go with us then. We still have Spirit airlines points we need to book by next month.

Still having a hard time believing that in less than a week I will be in my happy place again. In a mask. Sweating like crazy. And yet looking forward to all of it.
I am soooo happy for you!
Is SOG open yet???? I could have sworn they haven't reopened...

we now have Il Mulino for Wed night. I have heard/read good things about this place. Now the question is how fancy do we need to dress since we might go there right from HS park.
Ugh after I quoted this I saw you changed to Sanaa! Sanaa is great but OMG Il Mulino is amazing. We last ate there in January and are eating there again next month for Steve's birthday!
he Plaza at MK after reading about the abysmal offerings in QS there, not that I was ever a fan of any of them anyway.
Yeah.....wish CHH was open. I don't love MK QS but we had Pecos Bill last month and actually really enjoyed it.
However since school is already going to be virtual for all of them maybe we'll plan a trip in October or something for DD and DH birthday and they can go with us then.
This is why I'm currently trying to get Chris to go with us next month!

That's so awesome to hear another resort has opened!!!! Yay!!!

Yes...this is our go to when we don't have DVC points to use...or can't use them as right now we are limited.

Ugh after I quoted this I saw you changed to Sanaa! Sanaa is great but OMG Il Mulino is amazing. We last ate there in January and are eating there again next month for Steve's birthday!

Yeah.....wish CHH was open. I don't love MK QS but we had Pecos Bill last month and actually really enjoyed it.

This is why I'm currently trying to get Chris to go with us next month!

I KNEW you would chime in @CruellaNY as I know you love Il Mulino. I figure I'll save this for our big trip when we can all go and eat at the signature restaurants we had planned back in March.

I'm going to definitely miss CHH as that was a favorite. However we have done The Plaza many times and enjoyed it also. Interesting that you enjoyed Pecos Bill. That's one we haven't eaten in a lot. With lines being what they are we may just head to a resort on the monorail line and eat at a quick service there and then come back.

Good luck getting Chris to go.

From our experience, we learned to keep quiet because people are sooooooo judgemental. I was sick of hearing the criticism... 😁
Some people have too much to say for themselves! Unless you’re asking them to pay for your trip I wouldn’t give them a second thought! I love how much pleasure your trip brought you :goodvibes

@kittylady1972 I’m so excited for you and think you’ll have a brilliant time just strolling through your happy place. Enjoy ( and share all the details with us sss of course🤣).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter