And so the Netflix Emptying begins! BIG news re. DisneyPlus! SHAZAAM!

DLFendel

Earning My Ears
Disney is foregoing an estimated $150 million in revenue by making the new "Captain Marvel" feature the first to NOT appear on Netflix in anticipation of their own streaming service where all their content will eventually reside--including the huge number of Disney movies now on Netflix. See 'em while you can because they're about to disappear until they reappear on Disney's new major streaming offering later this year.

Here's the full story:

https://deadline.com/2019/02/disney...x-expects-150m-profit-hit-in-2019-1202550358/

It says Shazaam in the title, but Shazaam (DC) and Captain Marvel (Marvel) are two different characters.

Although it could be that the original poster is making a joke referencing that Shazaam was Captain Marvel. Which he was before Marvel bought the name and forced DC into relinquishing it.

Right .. the next big news waiting for is:

1) When does the Disney "stuff" leave Netflix?
2) When does Disney+ launch and what will be on it at launch?
3) Going forward, how soon after a movie hits the theatres will it be available on Disney+?

Last edited:

Right .. the next big news waiting for is:

1) When do the Disney "stuff" leave Netflix?
2) When does Disney+ launch and what will be on it?
3) How soon after a movie hits the theatres will it be available on Disney+?
1. I believe that deal ends after this year or so.
2. Fall 2019, and we don’t know all but know some of what will be on there. The Mandalorian from Star Wars for example.
3. I’m thinking it will be similar to existing streaming. It will be on the same type of schedule they were with Netflix or other services. Disney still wants to get money from the box office.

Doesn't surprise me. On more than one occasion, I've wanted to watch something Disney, and relatively new, that was on Netflix, but when I went looking for it, it was gone.

Does this mean that once Disney+ is launched there will no longer be a Redbox option? Also, will they stream/download in 4K (or higher)?

Great, now I have to have not only Cable, but 77 paid subscription things. Oh well... I guess I'm going to have to just find ways to save money. I can always live in a treehouse or one of those Home Depot sheds.
Well you could cut cable. That’s what most are doing in terms of moving to streaming services. That said having several subscription services can add up.

Well you could cut cable. That’s what most are doing in terms of moving to streaming services. That said having several subscription services can add up.

That's true. But like you said the separate subscriptions add up very fast. I'd have to promise my first born child to be able to get them all.

That's true. But like you said the separate subscriptions add up very fast. I'd have to promise my first born child to be able to get them all.
The other thing about these new streaming services is that there is no contract. You can drop or add them whenever you want. You could have Netflix one month, then switch to Disney+ the next month.

The biggest question is can Disney IT get their stuff together and roll out a good product. On the ESPN+ app, if you pause a show, you have to EXIT the show and then press play to resume. You can’t just hit play. :sad2: Just one of several quirks.

This is not Disney tech. They bought and are building off of the same technology that powers MLB At Bat, which HBO also uses[1] for their streaming.

[1] although not for much longer.

The other thing about these new streaming services is that there is no contract. You can drop or add them whenever you want. You could have Netflix one month, then switch to Disney+ the next month.

That's not going to last. Expect 'cool-down' periods to start becoming the norm.

*shrug* Ok. Clearly Disney doesn't want my household to watch their content... I have been cable-free nearly my entire life. We recently paid for Netflix last year and this year added Crave, but I am not adding any more "channels".

They better actually have a sizeable catalog of animated movies, and not just the Netflix equivalent if they want me to pay for this. I don't expect to get EVERY Disney movie ever, but I think every one of them should at least be on rotation, with several old tv series offered as well.

*shrug* Ok. Clearly Disney doesn't want my household to watch their content... I have been cable-free nearly my entire life. We recently paid for Netflix last year and this year added Crave, but I am not adding any more "channels".
Disney does want your views. They want it done on their services not their now competitors. Hence why they are removing their stuff from other services.

I think that depends on costs, especially internet costs. In order to stream you need internet and if you're exclusively streaming you need a good enough speed to do so. Nothing like watching something and it's lagging lol.

Internet alone with U-Verse in my area with a brand new customer is $90+taxes and fees for 1000 Mbps, $70+taxes and fees for 300 Mbps.

At that rate it wouldn't take too many services to bump the cost up especially when trying to replace things shown on tv (and the services that have 2 different platforms with one with ads and one without ads) and the multiple types of streaming services out there.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter