Animal Kingdom help...

sapphirerose915

DIS Veteran
What would you do???
I switched my entire trip around at 170 days ‍♀️
But Animal Kingdom was originally going to be a half day park from morning til around 1 with breakfast at Tusker House. We are now doing it in the evening on the same day we are doing the Crystal Palace in the morning.
I was able to snag a Tusker House Dinner for that evening.. but 2 buffet character meals in one day?? Or an I better off snacking and QS meals in AK? We are on the dining plan so cost isnt a factor. Just wondering what would you do??
Go see Donald and Chip n Dale in Dinoland and Mickey and Minnie in the outpost eat at Flame Tree and get snacks and desserts around the park and skip the character meal? Or is it worth going and spending the time at Tusker? Oh yea... I am going with my 2.5 year old DS and my husband!! Thank you!!!

Edit: we are doing Minnie's Seasonal Dine ant Hollywood and Vine another day during the trip... so we will see Mickey and Friends for a buffet!

Last edited:
You should also concider that character meals usually take quite a bit of time. Yes they are a bit faster than a traditional sit down TS (depending on where you are) but with two in one day, you are investing at least an hour in each restaurant and the travel time from MK to AK which you should count on loosing about an hour of travel time at minimum. Yes you can uber/Minnie car but you still have leaving one park, travel time, entering another park stuff to concider.
I would keep H&V and drop Tusker if it were me just because of the time investment on one day.
There is also Chip & Dale's campfire sing along at the campground which is a free event done nightly. You could always do that if you want to see Chip & Dale excusively.

We love Tusker House much better than Crystal Palace - but of all the parks AK has very good QS meals that we love to eat QS at AK. We love the new Satuli Canteen (indoor and air conditioned) - the Flame Tree is also good. They also have great snacks as well. We would have two characters meals in one day, but that is us. I say skip Tusker House and eat around AK.

You should also concider that character meals usually take quite a bit of time. Yes they are a bit faster than a traditional sit down TS (depending on where you are) but with two in one day, you are investing at least an hour in each restaurant and the travel time from MK to AK which you should count on loosing about an hour of travel time at minimum. Yes you can uber/Minnie car but you still have leaving one park, travel time, entering another park stuff to concider.
I would keep H&V and drop Tusker if it were me just because of the time investment on one day.
There is also Chip & Dale's campfire sing along at the campground which is a free event done nightly. You could always do that if you want to see Chip & Dale excusively.

the time issue was my worry too... we will lose so much doing the meal!!! and i have a night at fort wilderness planned with trails end and then the campfire as well!!!! thank you!!

We love Tusker House much better than Crystal Palace - but of all the parks AK has very good QS meals that we love to eat QS at AK. We love the new Satuli Canteen (indoor and air conditioned) - the Flame Tree is also good. They also have great snacks as well. We would have two characters meals in one day, but that is us. I say skip Tusker House and eat around AK.

the ONLY reason we are doing Crystal Palace is because my DS is obsessed with Pooh and friends!! he is getting his 1st haircut and we are doing the breakfast afterwards.. then go back to hotel for a mid day break and off to AK. I am actually upset about the Tusker House breakfast cus I heard it was so yummy... but reading the blogs and forums it does look like AK has a lot of good QS and snack options..... Luckily I have 160+ days to figure it all out lol!!!

My issue wouldn't be with the dining, it's simply that I don't think AK is a half day park.

But if you have limited days for the trip and need to make concessions then I can understand.

My issue wouldn't be with the dining, it's simply that I don't think AK is a half day park.

But if you have limited days for the trip and need to make concessions then I can understand.

we have 5 day park hoppers.... but we are only doing half days (4-5 hrs at most) in the parks, and plan on spending most of our time at MK- my DS is only 2, and I'd rather plan less and we can play by ear while we are there rather then overplan and him get overwhelmed- so in AK we plan on the Lion King and Kilimanjaro, and DinoLand. a few rides, characters, and some food, whether its QS or TS, per park per day.

If it was just me and my husband Id be rope drop to close at all the parks!!

I would agree that as good as Tusker House is, 2 character meals in 1 day is a bit much and you're spending a lote of time there when youwill only have 1/2 day at AK.
I would cancel TH and do one of the QS. As mentioned Satu'li and FlameTree are both very good options and would take less time.
Don't forget Nemo if you have time. I suspect your son would love that.

I would agree that as good as Tusker House is, 2 character meals in 1 day is a bit much and you're spending a lote of time there when youwill only have 1/2 day at AK.
I would cancel TH and do one of the QS. As mentioned Satu'li and FlameTree are both very good options and would take less time.
Don't forget Nemo if you have time. I suspect your son would love that.

Perfect!!! Thank you!!!!

we have 5 day park hoppers.... but we are only doing half days (4-5 hrs at most) in the parks, and plan on spending most of our time at MK- my DS is only 2, and I'd rather plan less and we can play by ear while we are there rather then overplan and him get overwhelmed- so in AK we plan on the Lion King and Kilimanjaro, and DinoLand. a few rides, characters, and some food, whether its QS or TS, per park per day.

If it was just me and my husband Id be rope drop to close at all the parks!!

If you’re doing half days, then WHY the hoppers?

And, honestly, why MK-focused? Kids love animals... kids love all sorts of things. I think that WE think MK is toddler-appropriate, when toddlers are mainly just happy with what we’re happy with.

If you’re doing half days, then WHY the hoppers?

And, honestly, why MK-focused? Kids love animals... kids love all sorts of things. I think that WE think MK is toddler-appropriate, when toddlers are mainly just happy with what we’re happy with.

We are hopping 2 of the days.. plus to get the free dining package you needed to get the hopper... my son LOVES Lion King and animals.. so we are planning to do the safari and the show... also we have a lunch at Sanaa booked. Is there much more at AK that has to do with those things? I have never seen it at night so I'm excited about that! Pandora isnt high on our list.. and neither is the whole Asia area... I'm thinking dinoland and Africa are really all we will all enjoy. So Tusker will work at our 735 time... just not sure of its worth it or if we are better off visiting with characters in the park and eating QS

When my boys were little they loved the kid play areas. We spent a great deal of time at The Boneyard at AK in the little sand area. It is quiet and shady and we could sit next to them while they played.

Sanaa is at Animal Kingdom Lodge, which is close to Animal Kingdom theme park. I am just wondering if this is right: you are doing am at MK, then hopping to AK. Two character meals plus Sanaa? Is that all in one day, or spread out? Sanaa is delicious but you definitely want to go hungry.

When my boys were little they loved the kid play areas. We spent a great deal of time at The Boneyard at AK in the little sand area. It is quiet and shady and we could sit next to them while they played.

Sanaa is at Animal Kingdom Lodge, which is close to Animal Kingdom theme park. I am just wondering if this is right: you are doing am at MK, then hopping to AK. Two character meals plus Sanaa? Is that all in one day, or spread out? Sanaa is delicious but you definitely want to go hungry.

Spread out!!! Sorry.. should've explained that better!! I try not to have more than 1 TS planned per day.. which is kinda what is bothering me about the whole Tusker House ADR...I dont want to spend most of our day sitting and eating... but the reviews are so good I don't want to miss out on a good spot!!

the ONLY reason we are doing Crystal Palace is because my DS is obsessed with Pooh and friends!! he is getting his 1st haircut and we are doing the breakfast afterwards.. then go back to hotel for a mid day break and off to AK. I am actually upset about the Tusker House breakfast cus I heard it was so yummy... but reading the blogs and forums it does look like AK has a lot of good QS and snack options..... Luckily I have 160+ days to figure it all out lol!!!

That is why we go to Crystal Palace also - we love the Pooh characters also. That is cute about his first haircut. Yes AK's QS are great. Enjoy!

We are hopping 2 of the days.. plus to get the free dining package you needed to get the hopper... my son LOVES Lion King and animals.. so we are planning to do the safari and the show... also we have a lunch at Sanaa booked. Is there much more at AK that has to do with those things? I have never seen it at night so I'm excited about that! Pandora isnt high on our list.. and neither is the whole Asia area... I'm thinking dinoland and Africa are really all we will all enjoy. So Tusker will work at our 735 time... just not sure of its worth it or if we are better off visiting with characters in the park and eating QS
The animal trails are great. He may enjoy the train ride to the conservation station. There is also the Up bird show. Definitely to FOTLK though. It is bright and fun for everyone.

The animal trails are great. He may enjoy the train ride to the conservation station. There is also the Up bird show. Definitely to FOTLK though. It is bright and fun for everyone.

That and Klimanjaro Safari are really the only 2 MUSTS in our list at AK!!! My DS is a HUGE lion King fan!!!
Thank you for the info!!

ok.. after some deliberation this wknd and after all of your fantastic advice, we have decided to switch going to HS the next day and do an evening at HS instead, and go to AK the next day and hopefully be able to enjoy a little more than a half day there is my DS can handle it!!! now I am on touring plans hoping a breakfast at Tusker opens up!! Thanks for all of your input!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter