Annual reading challenge 2018- Join in on the Fun

Both of these books were amazing due to the fact that they were both based on the experiences of real people!

#16/90: The Lilac Girls by Martha Hall Kelly (5/5) (historical fiction/Holocaust)
Told from the viewpoint of three women - from New York, Poland, and Germany - from the beginnings of WWII to the late 1950s.

#17/90: We Were the Lucky Ones by Georgia Hunter (5/5) (historical fiction/Holocaust)
Told from the viewpoints of various members of a Jewish family from Poland.
These both sound like something I would really like to read. I am going to put them on my list. I am reading Marge Piercey’s “Gone to Soldiers” right now and loving it. It’s also a WW2 novel.

i began Lilac Girls. May not be right for me.

Last edited:
Finished #10.. not my favourite Grisham book but it was ok

#11 (in progress) Born A Crime by Trevor Noah. It’s interesting but not a page turner.

#12 will be A Wrinkle in Time..I finally got my hold from the library.

i began Lilac Girls. May not be right for me.

That could be. I just got done with a book which got excellent reviews, yet I couldn't wait for it to be over. Frankly, I only kept with it because I DNF the book before that, and I couldn't allow myself to give up and not finish 2 books in a row. The one before that also had gotten great reviews and I didn't finish it.

That could be. I just got done with a book which got excellent reviews, yet I couldn't wait for it to be over. Frankly, I only kept with it because I DNF the book before that, and I couldn't allow myself to give up and not finish 2 books in a row. The one before that also had gotten great reviews and I didn't finish it.
Thank you for mentioning this.

#5 Unearthed by Aimee Kaufman & Megan Spooner
Not nearly as good as some of the reviews that led me to reading.

If anyone is interested, I would gladly send a kindle gift version of any of my works “Written for You”, “Three Twigs for the Campfire”, “Cemetery Girl” or “Reigning”. You can see them all reviewed at Goodreads. If you are interested in reading any just message me.

Wow, well, I have had a start. If these count, I would up my goal to 50! These are the books I have read this year:

A Wrinkle in Time by Madeline L’Engle

Sentenced to Death by Lorna Barrett

The Proving by Beverly Lewis

Assaulted Caramel by Amanda Flower

Blue Ridge Sunrise by Denise Hunter

In this Moment by Karen Kingsbury

The Plot is Murder by V.M. Burns

The Nature of the Beast by Louise Penny

Glass Houses by Louise Penny’s

Amish Sweethearts by Amy Clipston

Descendants by Kaui Hart Hemmings

Lethal Licorice by Amanda Flower

Murder has a Motive by Francis Duncan

( 14/25) A Time of Love and Tartan by Alexander McCall Smith. I finished this just now. I have read all of the 44 Scotland Street stories. I like sequel books, and the characters in the books are like old friends. The first is “44 Scotland Street.”

I am on a mission to read all of the Louise Penny books in the Armand Gamache series.

(15/50). The House of Unexpected Sisters by Alexander McCall Smith. Continuing story of the No. 1 Ladies Detective Agency series. Takes place in Botswana, and there are many references to life in Africa. I have often chatted with CMs from Africa at Jambo or Kidani, and many of them know of AMS, and his books and his conservation efforts.

We Were the Lucky Ones by Georgia Hunter (5/5) (historical fiction/Holocaust) Told from the viewpoints of various members of a Jewish family from Poland.

Thanks to tiggrbaby and others for the information on this book. Since it switches back and forth between the various family members stories, I had to make a crib sheet to keep straight who was who and how they were related.

14/52

We Were the Lucky Ones by Georgia Hunter (5/5) (historical fiction/Holocaust) Told from the viewpoints of various members of a Jewish family from Poland.

Thanks to tiggrbaby and others for the information on this book. Since it switches back and forth between the various family members stories, I had to make a crib sheet to keep straight who was who and how they were related.

14/52
That was a really good idea to keep everyone straight! Glad you liked it.

#18/90: I'll Be Gone in the Dark by Michelle McNamara (3.5/5) (nonfiction/crime)
Revisit of information from rapes and murders to try and determine the who was the Golden State Killer. The author died before completing the book, and others used her notes to complete the text.

#19/90: The Girl Who Takes an Eye for an Eye (Lisbeth Salander #5) by David Lagercrantz (3.5/5) (thriller)
Continuation of the series. Fairly quick read.

#20/90: Lake Morality (Maggie Redmond #8) by Dawn Lee McKenna (4/5) (suspense) (Kindle owner's lending library choice)
Maggie needs to solve the disappearance of a young mother while finalizing her wedding plans. I like the characters and setting.

Homeless Bird by Gloria Whelan. Young Adult fiction. At the age of thirteen, Koly’s family arranges a marriage for her. Tricked by her in-laws for her dowry, she is married to a young boy suffering from tuberculosis. He passes away almost immediately, leaving her a widow at the mercy of her mother-in-law. A cruel woman, her mother-in-law criticizes everything Koly does, leaving Koly unhappy and trapped in a hopeless situation. Her mother-in-law then abandons Koly in Vrindavan, a city of widows. Koly’s story is one of tragedy and strength. Despite her untenable situation, she is able to survive, and even thrive on her own, something unheard of in India. This was a fast, interesting read.

15/52

I’ll join and set my goal as 30 books to read this year.

Here is what I have already since January 1

1. Beautiful Ruins -Jess Walters

2. Hunger: A Memoir of (my) Body - Roxanne Gay

3. Radium Girls: The Dark Story of America’s Shining Women- Kate Moore

4. Educated: A Memoir- Tara Westover

5. Eleanor Oliphant is Completely Fine- Gail Honeyman

6. Before We Were Yours- Lisa Wingate

7. A Mother’s Reckoning Living in the Aftermath of Tragedy- Sue Klebold

#6 The Kitchen House By Kathleen Grissom
Saw it at library and since you all were reading it, figured I'd give it a try. Enjoyed (though probably poor choice of words considering the main characters environment) it much more than I expected to. I thought the first half was both better written and more captivating then second part of story.

If anyone is interested, I would gladly send a kindle gift version of any of my works “Written for You”, “Three Twigs for the Campfire”, “Cemetery Girl” or “Reigning”. You can see them all reviewed at Goodreads. If you are interested in reading any just message me.

Last edited:
(16/50) Murder in an Irish Courtyard by Carlene O’Connor

(17/50) Still Life with Bread Crumbs by Anna Quindlen

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter