Annual reading challenge 2018- Join in on the Fun

#11/50

Blame by Jeff Abbott

Two years ago, Jane Norton crashed her car on a lonely road, killing her friend David and leaving her with amnesia. At first, everyone was sympathetic. Then they found Jane's note: I wish we were dead together.

From that day the town turned against her. But even now Jane is filled with questions: Why were they on that road? Why was she with David? Did she really want to die?

Most of all, she must find out who has just written her an anonymous message: I know what really happened. I know what you don't remember...

#8/10
Shiver by Maggie Stiefvater

For years, Grace has watched the wolves in the woods behind her house. One yellow-eyed wolf—her wolf—is a chilling presence she can't seem to live without.
Meanwhile, Sam has lived two lives: In winter, the frozen woods, the protection of the pack, and the silent company of a fearless girl. In summer, a few precious months of being human… until the cold makes him shift back again.
Now, Grace meets a yellow-eyed boy whose familiarity takes her breath away. It's her wolf. It has to be. But as winter nears, Sam must fight to stay human—or risk losing himself, and Grace, forever.

#9/10
Linger by Maggie Stiefvater

the longing.
Once Grace and Sam have found each other, they know they must fight to stay together. For Sam, this means a reckoning with his werewolf past. For Grace, it means facing a future that is less and less certain.
the loss.
Into their world comes a new wolf named Cole, whose past is full of hurt and danger. He is wrestling with his own demons, embracing the life of a wolf while denying the ties of being a human.
the linger.
For Grace, Sam, and Cole, life a constant struggle between two forces--wolf and human--with love baring its two sides as well. It is harrowing and euphoric, freeing and entrapping, enticing and alarming. As their world falls apart, love is what lingers. But will it be enough?

#10/10
Forever by Maggie Stiefvater

then.
When Sam met Grace, he was a wolf and she was a girl. Eventually he found a way to become a boy, and their loved moved from curious distance to the intense closeness of shared lives.
now.
That should have been the end of their story. But Grace was not meant to stay human. Now she is the wolf. And the wolves of Mercy Falls are about to be killed in one final, spectacular hunt.
forever.
Sam would do anything for Grace. But can one boy and one love really change a hostile, predatory world? The past, the present, and the future are about to collide in one pure moment--a moment of death or life, farewell or forever.

These are young adult novels. So they pretty much read like young adult novels :) But I think they were a little better than most ya novels out there. Though I am a bit tired of the teen angsty/obsessive romance. They were a very quick read. I kind of considered them 1 book, I read them so fast.

Book 5 of 20: Dark in Death by J. D. Robb

On a chilly February night, during a screening of Psycho in midtown, someone sunk an ice pick into the back of Chanel Rylan’s neck, then disappeared quietly into the crowds of drunks and tourists in Times Square. To Chanel’s best friend, who had just slipped out of the theater for a moment to take a call, it felt as unreal as the ancient black-and-white movie up on the screen. But Chanel’s blood ran red, and her death was anything but fictional.

Then, as Eve Dallas puzzles over a homicide that seems carefully planned and yet oddly personal, she receives a tip from an unexpected source: an author of police thrillers who recognizes the crime—from the pages of her own book. Dallas doesn’t think it’s coincidence, since a recent strangulation of a sex worker resembles a scene from her writing as well. Cops look for patterns of behavior: similar weapons, similar MOs. But this killer seems to find inspiration in someone else’s imagination, and if the theory holds, this may be only the second of a long-running series.

The good news is that Eve and her billionaire husband Roarke have an excuse to curl up in front of the fireplace with their cat, Galahad, reading mystery stories for research. The bad news is that time is running out before the next victim plays an unwitting role in a murderer’s deranged private drama—and only Eve can put a stop to a creative impulse gone horribly, destructively wrong.

Book #46 in the never-ending Eve Dallas series by Nora Roberts (aka J. D. Robb). I thought the idea was interesting -- a murderer obsessed with a murder mystery book series. Not the most original idea ever, but still interesting. Here's my problem: It feels like Nora was channeling herself through the character of the novel writer. It felt like all of the complaints the novelist had with some of her fans were direct references to some of the In Death fan community. And that turned me off.

I'm also getting a little sick of seeing Roarke help Eve all the time. He's not a cop and she has a partner. I want Eve and Peabody to work together, and let Roarke run his business. He can also be pretty condescending towards Eve sometimes (forcing/tricking her into taking pain meds or eating oatmeal). Not to say he's all bad, I mostly like their relationship. There are just little ticks I thoroughly dislike. That being said, I will still read these books.

3 out of 5 stars.

How was that? I read a book by her, "Every Last One" and LOVED it. I'm interested in reading another by her.

I liked it. An easy read about a NYC photographer who had been successful, but now financially strapped and in need of inspiration. She’s 60ish, so nice to read about someone rich in years!:) There was humor, sadness, a satisfying ending.

(18/50). A Christmas Return by Anne Perry. I finally got around to reading her 2017 Christmas book. The story is set in Victorian England as are many of her books, and about a relative of principal characters in many of her other books. I especially like the references to characters I love from other books. Under 200 small pages, a quick interesting read.

Outside the Limelight by Terez Martes Rose. Women's fiction set in the dance community of a large city ballet company. Had some interesting thoughts about the pain and struggle to be a professional ballerina and why someone would subject themselves to that in order to dance.

16/52

(19/50) Killer Smile by Lisa Scottoline. Another favorite author of mine, this series is about lawyers in a female law firm. The setting is Philadelphia, especially the Italian neighborhood. An older book, it’s from 2004.

#9/20: Sing, Unburied, Sing by Jesmyn Ward: I waited a long time for this ebook through my library.

The first third of this book was really great. I loved the characters and the character development. After that, what could have just been a great story, wholly turned into a strange, "supernatural" kind of thing. I don't mind that and though it just might be a small part of the story, but it ended up dominating the remainder of the book. Again, really enjoyed the characters; however, the whole "spirits" and "ghost" thing didn't really come off well as such a major part of the story.

#10/20: Every Note Played, Lisa Genova.

The first book I read by Lisa Genova was Still Alice, one of my favorites. This author is a neuroscientist who writes fictional stories about people who have contracted the worst neurological diseases. This books was about a world-renowned pianist who afflicted by ALS. I enjoy her writing. It's easy to read and definitely gives you insight into what it's like for the victim and families of these diseases. Sounds grim, I know, but I do enjoy her books.

#10/20: Every Note Played, Lisa Genova.

The first book I read by Lisa Genova was Still Alice, one of my favorites. This author is a neuroscientist who writes fictional stories about people who have contracted the worst neurological diseases. This books was about a world-renowned pianist who afflicted by ALS. I enjoy her writing. It's easy to read and definitely gives you insight into what it's like for the victim and families of these diseases. Sounds grim, I know, but I do enjoy her books.

I just saw this book yesterday. Still Alice was one of my favourite books and I love her writing but having lost my Mom to ALS I am not sure if this will be too hard for me to read. I will have to be in the right headspace when I decide to read it. April is not a good idea since it is month she died.

#5/30 Love and Other Consulation Prizes by Jamie Ford

From Goodreads: A powerful novel about an orphan boy who is raffled off at Seattle’s 1909 World Fair, and the friends who teach him what it really means to have a family, from the author of Hotel on the Corner of Bitter and Sweet.

Inspired by a true story, this is the unforgettable story of a young boy named Ernest, set during the 1909 Seattle world’s fair called the Alaska Yukon Pacific Expo. It is a time when the magical wonders of technology on display at the expo future seems limitless. But for Ernest, a half-Chinese orphan who found his way to America through a last desperate act of his beloved mother, every door is closed. A charity student at a boarding school, he has never really had a place to call home. Then one day, his wealthy sponsor announces that if a home is what he wants, then that is what he will have: Ernest will be offered as a prize in the daily raffle at the fair, advertised as “Healthy boy to a good home for the winning ticket holder.” The woman who “wins” him is the madam of a notorious brothel who was famous for educating her girls. He becomes a houseboy in her brothel and is befriended by the daughter of the madam, as well as a Japanese girl who works in the kitchen. The friendship and love between these three form the first real family Ernest has has.

4/5. This is the second book I have read from this author. I read Hotel on the Corner of Bitter and Sweet several years ago and loved it. I really liked this one as well.

I just saw this book yesterday. Still Alice was one of my favourite books and I love her writing but having lost my Mom to ALS I am not sure if this will be too hard for me to read. I will have to be in the right headspace when I decide to read it. April is not a good idea since it is month she died.

Oh, so sorry to hear this. Yeah, you probably would not enjoy this book. I think these books are great for people who don't have awareness of the disease, but I think it might be too close to home if you know someone who has had ALS.

#7 Ready Player One.

Reread - Started listening to it Monday night with Alexa, and got hooked back in.

Mainly read on my phone.
One of less then 10 books I have read second time by choice.

If anyone is interested, I would gladly send a kindle gift version of any of my works “Written for You”, “Three Twigs for the Campfire”, “Cemetery Girl” or “Reigning”. You can see them all reviewed at Goodreads. If you are interested in reading any just message me.

Update-

#14-Great Small Things by Jodi Picoult, I enjoy reading about her moral dilemmas, 4 stars
#15-Map of the Heart by Susan Wiggs, although I enjoy Susan Wiggs, I was hoping for more of the Historical Fiction aspect (which I know she's not known for) and less of an emphasis on romance (which I should have expected). Still, 4 stars
#16-The Great Alone, by Kristin Hannah, which I'm currently reading, but I can tell it's going to be a 5 star book for me. I confess, there are 2 reasons why I'm especially enthusiastic/biased about this book. For one thing, the time it occurred-the Vietnam war, very relevant time to me. The other reason is where it happens-Homer, Alaska area. We were up there a few years ago and can identify with much of what they discuss. 5 stars so far!

What I read in March:

12) Class Mom by Laurie Gelman. A cute story about the ways in which modern parents try to one up each other.

13) Cop in the Hood: My Year Policing Baltimore's Eastern District by Peter Moskos. It was.... ok. It was more a diary than commentary and the end, strangely, turns into a discussion of prohibition as if he felt the need to make the book longer.

14) City of Endless Night by Douglas Preston and Preston Child. The 17th Pendergast novel. This one was better than the last few. The authors still struggle to write for female characters.

15) Rich People Problems by Kevin Kwan. This was the third book in the Crazy Rich Asians trilogy. Like the second, I enjoyed the writing style, but the plot wasn't as gripping as the first book.

16) Dead Wake by Erik Larson. I learned a fair bit about the sinking of the Lusitania that I didn't know. As always, his writing style grabs you and makes you want to learn about the small part of history.

17) Angels and Demons by Dan Brown. This was a re-read of the illustrated version in advance of a trip to Italy next month.

White Chrysanthemum by Mary Lynn Bracht - fiction. Story of two Korean girls who were haenyeo divers. Haenyeo divers are always women and are only found on the Korean island of Jeju. They dive in to ocean without oxygen and harvest shellfish from the bottom including abalone and sea urchins. The story starts during the Second World War when the oldest girl, at age 16, is kidnapped and taken into mainland Korea to be a "comfort woman" for Japanese soldiers. The Japanese army had a policy of establishing a house of "comfort woman" near army bases so that soldiers would have access to sexual release. The Korean woman were kidnapped or tricked into this and they were horribly used against their wills. The book goes between the stories of the captured sister during the war and the younger sister in the present time still looking to find her older sister. The younger sister story contains flashbacks to the years after the war and covers the effect of the Korean war on her village. I had never heard of haenyeo divers and only a vague knowledge of "comfort women" so this was a fascinating read.

17/52

#12/50

Look For Me by Lisa Gardner

The home of a family of five is now a crime scene: four of them savagely murdered, one—a sixteen-year-old girl—missing. Was she lucky to have escaped? Or is her absence evidence of something sinister? Detective D. D. Warren is on the case—but so is survivor-turned-avenger Flora Dane. Seeking different types of justice, they must make sense of the clues left behind by a young woman who, whether as victim or suspect, is silently pleading, Look for me.

Really good! 9th in the D.D. Warren series. Lisa Gardner is one of my favorite authors.

#9 Origin in Death by JD Robb

#10 Memory in Death by JD Robb

plus Haunted in Death by JD Robb (Audiobook, not counting it for my read total)

Book #6/30

As Bright as Heaven-Susan Meissner

From Goodreads:

From the acclaimed author of Secrets of a Charmed Life and A Bridge Across the Ocean comes a new novel set in Philadelphia during the Spanish flu epidemic of 1918, which tells the story of a family reborn through loss and love.

In 1918, Philadelphia was a city teeming with promise. Even as its young men went off to fight in the Great War, there were opportunities for a fresh start on its cobblestone streets. Into this bustling town, came Pauline Bright and her husband, filled with hope that they could now give their three daughters--Evelyn, Maggie, and Willa--a chance at a better life.

But just months after they arrive, the Spanish Flu reaches the shores of America. As the pandemic claims more than twelve thousand victims in their adopted city, they find their lives left with a world that looks nothing like the one they knew. But even as they lose loved ones, they take in a baby orphaned by the disease who becomes their single source of hope. Amidst the tragedy and challenges, they learn what they cannot live without--and what they are willing to do about it.

As Bright as Heaven is the compelling story of a mother and her daughters who find themselves in a harsh world, not of their making, which will either crush their resolve to survive or purify it.

————
5/5....I have loved this author’s previous books and this one definitely did not disappoint. I could not put i done.

Last edited:
(20/50). Wild Things, Wild Places by Jane Alexander

This is a look at changing wildlife on planet Earth. The scope of animals and places it covers is mind boggling. Its a somber book, but worthwhile if it inspires positive activities, and appreciation of what we have.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter