• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Another update on little Paul

GEM

Mommy to Paul - 1lb 7oz wonder
I just wanted to check in and let you all know that things here are still going well. Little Paul has gained two and a half whole ounces(he's one pound and nine and a half ounces now) and they took the ventilator tube out last Thursday. Since then, he has been breathing on his own with just a little oxygen to help him out. His is also getting milk now through a tube in his mouth. The doctors and nurses continue to be amazed by him and it shouldn't be long before we actually get to hold him!

I'm having some problems with the incision from the c-section. It pulled back open in a few places and they are having the home health nurses come out twice a week to pack it with gauze. It's really sore! The nurses are telling me it could be up to eight weeks before it heals completely. It looks REALLY awful. I'm sure I'll survive, though.

Thanks for all your concern. I will keep everyone updated.

Yay! I'm so glad to hear he's doing so well. Of course, I never had any doubt.

As for your boo-boo, hang in there - I had abdominal (fallopian) surgery in '87, and it was about 8 weeks before I was able to bend, stretch, etc - without much pain. However, here it is 16 years later, and I still can't cough or sneeze laying flat on my back, or it hurts like the dickens. I have to turn to my side and bring my knees up. I guess the muscles just never healed quite right.

Also, if the doc says take it easy for X weeks, DO IT. I felt fine 3 weeks after surgery, went back to work, and wore some tight jeans to a picnic and parade. The next day I was back in the hospital with a severe infection, a temp of 104.6, and the doc said if I had waited until the next morning to go to the ER, I would not have made it. Needless to say, the damage done was permanent and I'll never have children.

But I'm ok with that (finally). I'm 40 now, and have other plans for my life that are almost as joyous. Neices and nephews get spoiled rotten, needless to say.

So be good, take care of yourself, and I'll continue my prayers for Paulie!!!

So happy to hear that little Paul is doing so well, GEM. I have been thinking of you, wondering how it is going. It sounds like he is getting nice and strong for his mommy and daddy :D ! I hope you get to hold him very soon.

I'm glad to hear that baby Paul is doing so good, he's a trooper!
I also had two c-sections and the first 6-8 weeks you basically cannot do anything except walk, everything else is a project.
You will be sore for a while but you will forget it when you see baby Paul.
Just take it easy you too and enjoy watching baby Paul thrive.

I'm glad to hear that baby Paul is doing so good, he's a trooper!
I also had two c-sections and the first 6-8 weeks you basically cannot do anything except walk, everything else is a project.
You will be sore for a while but you will forget it when you see baby Paul.
Just take it easy you too and enjoy watching baby Paul thrive.

I'm so glad to hear how well Paul is doing..that is fantastic!! Sorry though you are having problems with your incision. Hopefully it will get better soon.

Off the vent already!!! What an amazing and super little guy you have. :) Get your rest now because I'm betting he's going to be a handful for you for the next 18 years or so. ;)

Congrats GEM and take care of yourself.

Sounds like Paul is a little fighter! That is amazing he is already off ventilation! Continued growth and success!

I was just thinking about you and baby Paul this morning. Glad he is improving so rapidly. I hope your incision heals rapidly too. Never had a c-section, but have had numerous abdominal surgeries, and it does take forever for the wound to heal. Just take it easy, and you'll do great.

Thanks for keeping us posted. I'll continue to pray.

Glad to hear that Paul is doing so well. He sounds like quite a little fighter. Hope you are feeling better soon. Try and get some rest. Your family will continue to be in my thoughts and prayers. Thanks for taking the time to update us.

I'm so glad to hear that baby Paul is doing well :)

Sounds like you've got a tough little kid on your hands!!

You'll have to tell us when you get to hold him - that will be so wonderful for you!

Tamie

Little Paul is proving to be a little miracel indeed! I am so glad to hear that he is doing well.

I hope you start feeling better really soon. Sending some PD for you :)

I'm so happy to hear that little Paul is doing well. :)

And I know how to help your incision heal quickly! My FIL had surgery that required an incision all the way across his stomach. He had the same problems with it pulling apart and my MIL had to pack it every day. Then a visiting nurse told them to go buy a new tube of Preparation H and put that on the incision. It worked great and the incision healed much more quickly than they expected.

I know it sounds weird, but it does work.

You LOOKED at your incision!!! WOW you are brave!!

I am glad to hear that the little guy is doing well. :) YOU should REST!!!! :):):)

Take care. :)

Thanks for the update! So glad to hear that Paul is doing so well. I will continue to keep Paul in my prayers as well as yourself. I hope your incision heals up nicely soon.

I missed the part where Paul was born, but I am glad to hear that he is doing so well. I will keep the both of you in my prayers! {{{{HUGS}}}}

Oh GEM ~ what fantastic news! Off the ventilator already! Little Paul is a big strong little man! I have been thinking of your family lately wondering how everything was going.

I wanted to tell you something I found exciting ~ Friday on my local news here, there was a family that had a new daughter that came 10 1/2 weeks early. She was born March 20 and was able to go home last Friday!! :p :teeth: She was a little bigger than Paul ~ she was 2 lbs. 3 oz.

I hope you are feeling better sooner than later. I have never had a c-section, but have had a few cuts in my belly and I know how tender that is. Take care, and I look forward to the next good news!! ;)

My preemie was 1lb 5 ozs when she was born in 96. Now she is a perfect 6, almost 7YO.
That is excellent for a 1lb 9 ozs'er to be off the ventilator, especially a boy! MY DD was on a total of 63 days.
The best advice I got from the NICU Psychologist was to keep a journal and to breast pump. There were very few things I could do for her so I was glad I could do this.
The road ahead is full of ups and downs. I look back now and still get tears in my eyes thinking about the strength it takes those little ones chugging.
I will tell you the same thing I tell all preemie parents- "Normal" is possible! I was never told that it was even a possibility that my DD would not have lasting issues. But here we are 6+ years later and if I would have known all good possibilites and not just the bad, it would have given me much more hope than I had at the time.
Keep us updated and feel free to pm me if desired.

Gem,

I am so happy to hear that baby Paul is getting bigger and stronger. Sounds like you have a little fighter!

I hope you are feeling better soon. Take care of yourself and keep us posted.

Glad to hear that Paul is making positive progress. Hope he's in your arms really soon.

Originally posted by GEM
I'm having some problems with the incision from the c-section. It pulled back open in a few places and they are having the home health nurses come out twice a week to pack it with gauze. It's really sore! The nurses are telling me it could be up to eight weeks before it heals completely. It looks REALLY awful. I'm sure I'll survive, though.

I feel so sorry for you. I remember that pain. With my second c-section I got infected and they had to open me completely back up. It was the most painful process of cleaning it twice a day. My DH became a very good nurse and did it as gently as he could, but as you know, it doesn't matter how gentle the person is, it hurts like there is no tomorrow. It will get better....I can promise you that. Mine took an entire 12 weeks before we were able to not pack it anymore. I wish you the best. Did the doctor put you on an antibiotic to ward off any infection?

Best of luck.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter