Answer to Petes question.

"taking leave from "....that's an interesting conversation in and of itself. it's the divide of WFH and in person workers. Many people have mild covid and can also wfh while sick and not lose any time off . those who have to be in person lose many days which is their sick pay if lucky and they can't wfh so it's even more important to protect and safeguard your health and priorities when considering vacations because if you return sick you lose your pay or lose your sick time.
I am employed by a local government in Wisconsin. I give legal advice to our local health department. I didn't WFH. I came to the office every day. A lot of my family and friends got to work from home during the pandemic, but not me. Sadly, some family and friends lost their jobs during the pandemic. I'm really blessed to have kept a job.

I have a family member who was involved in a disease outbreak on a cruise long before Corona. The stories about pooping in bags and all that... Yea, I'll never go on a cruise. Even if Corona was cured tomorrow.

The family member got a fairly large voucher to use on the cruise line and just let it expire.

I think another thing affecting the mentality on customers is the cramped quarters of a cruise ship. Pre-covid I didn’t mind the idea of it, it was just a place to sleep and shower, now post lockdown, it sounds claustrophobic almost. The reports of cancelled ports make the mental gymnastics of that claustrophobic feeling even more. I know it’s not a logical assessment (the ships are huge with things to do, etc), it’s just some honest feedback.

Seeing the photos of Aulani above looks much more enticing. I hope you are having a great time @CampbellzSoup. Thank you for the pictures!!

Last edited:

Cruises for me pre pandemic were big old germ dens. Reading on how easy it is to get sick and have it spread on the cruises pre pandemic made me uncomfortable during my pre 2020 cruise. Like I was constantly washing my hands and staying away from people before Covid was a thing just because its so easy to catch something on a cruise. So naturally with covid being a thing and Omicron being extra contagious I think its pretty clear as to why people don't really think cruising is the best idea right now. Throw in the fact I have a little girl who is currently too young to be vaccinated and I of course want to try to do whatever I can to protect her.

I don't think anyone on the show meant to come across as judgey or anything but like a few comments in this thread have mentioned it seems maybe a little odd to kind of harp on people choosing to not go on a cruise during a pandemic. But I totally understand they have a business to run and of course they want to encourage people to go. I don't judge anyone for wanting to go on a cruise right now its just too early for some people.

Cruises for me pre pandemic were big old germ dens. Reading on how easy it is to get sick and have it spread on the cruises pre pandemic made me uncomfortable during my pre 2020 cruise.
funny how we all have different perceptions. We sailed countless (ie, more than 30) times pre pandemic and never felt uncomfortable on our cruises.

Reactions: GAN
funny how we all have different perceptions. We sailed countless (ie, more than 30) times pre pandemic and never felt uncomfortable on our cruises.

A lot of the perception is from seeing coverage on the news about ships with sick people -even though it was fairly rare(a couple a year maybe?). I haven't cruised in many years and it wasn't because of any concern, but I can see some having issues with the hand-washing/sanitizing on a vacation. Even if it isn't factual, a trip to the Grand Canyon or Europe comes with less "health risk" (pre-pandemic). In the next couple years I'll book a cruise for sure....

I'm just not gonna leave my apartment, where I now work and live, to go on vacation to be confined to a ship
You'd rather be confined to your apartment than go on a vacation?

IMHO, there is nothing confining on a ship. These things are huge with lots to do. Right now I'm sitting on my balcony watching the ocean go by. Got plans for later today to see some stuff on board. Not bored at all.

You'd rather be confined to your apartment than go on a vacation?

IMHO, there is nothing confining on a ship. These things are huge with lots to do. Right now I'm sitting on my balcony watching the ocean go by. Got plans for later today to see some stuff on board. Not bored at all.

That poster never said they aren't going on vacations. I totally understand their viewpoint too. I spend almost all day, everyday at home. When I decide to take a vacation, I don't want to be indoors for the majority of the trip either (I've been on numerous cruises and spend like 90-95% of my time indoors. There just isn't that much to do on deck besides the pool and sitting on a chair in the sun/wind (not my jam). Cruises can be fun, but they can also be incredibly boring.

Reading through some of this anti-cruise sentiment it feels like many of you have not gone on the right type of cruises perhaps? Now granted it may be harder to do this these days for sure but there's nothing more exciting and exhilarating than going on an/a European/Nordic/Mediterranean/Exotic location cruise and leaving the boat as early as possible to explore all you can at every port and racing back to catch the sailing.

Again I get it...pandemic rules...kids...other factors sure it may be different now but saying it for those that have been unhappy with cruising from past experience. We loved nothing more than to enjoy the comforts and food and entertainment on board a ship, pass out early after plotting out the next day's adventures then wake up to basically to our own version of the Amazing Race. And I remember doing this one year during Swine Flu which absolutely nobody seemed to have cared about. Simpler times...

there's nothing more exciting and exhilarating than going on an/a European/Nordic/Mediterranean/Exotic location cruise and leaving the boat as early as possible to explore all you can at every port and racing back to catch the sailing.

You are not describing a Disney Cruise Line experience though. DCL is nothing more than an all-inclusive resort on the water. Nothing about that interests me.

I travel to experience new cultures, interact with different people in different parts of the world. See amazing pieces of history. Engage with cultures I cannot find at home.

Not interested in being stuck on a ship with thousands of like-minded Americans. Same reason Aulani does not interest me. I get it that others travel for different reasons...

You are not describing a Disney Cruise Line experience though. DCL is nothing more than an all-inclusive resort on the water. Nothing about that interests me.

I travel to experience new cultures, interact with different people in different parts of the world. See amazing pieces of history. Engage with cultures I cannot find at home.

Not interested in being stuck on a ship with thousands of like-minded Americans. Same reason Aulani does not interest me. I get it that others travel for different reasons...

Nope you're right. Fair enough. Was just pointing out what seemed to be general cruising negativity but if it's all just DCL based then yes I can absolutely see that being the case. However cruising in general is actually one of the best ways to experience many different ports/cultures if the right sailings and regions are chosen.

Nope you're right. Fair enough. Was just pointing out what seemed to be general cruising negativity but if it's all just DCL based then yes I can absolutely see that being the case. However cruising in general is actually one of the best ways to experience many different ports/cultures if the right sailings and regions are chosen.
I have, on several occasions, experienced European cruise itineraries as you have described.

We no longer do these because 1) We enjoy spending quality time at a destination, not 8-10 hours, and run back to the ship and 2) Cruising generally means eating 2 or 3 meals a day on the ship often with the very same people and wait staff. We enjoy choosing our own dining options at our destinations in an effort to get to know the local cuisine.

I do find island hopping via cruise ships attractive to a degree but still would rather spend 3-4 days on a Greek island then move on than the cruise alternative. Again, others enjoy holidays differently. We just no longer choose to use a cruise ship as our main means of transportation...

Pete seems to cruise for the spa, the food, the relaxation of it all while being pampered. We travel to experience new and interesting people, places, and cultures...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter