Answer to Petes question.

I have had that same thought about trying to steer people to cruises because they are definitely not filling up. I imagine that they are losing money. I think Pete said the amount of people needed for them to break even, but can't remember what it was? I know they are not there yet!
So, maybe you aren't too far off. It does make sense.

I'll say this too....no matter what I'm watching on TV, it seems every commercial break includes a DCL commercial. I see far less commercials for WDW.

perhaps the podcast episode would've been better on the dreams unlimited podcast? maybe that was the best place to put this episode. A review/opinion on recent cruising and if interested how you can book with dreams unlimited.
there is a lack of people on the podcast that represent the non-local view point or having small children viewpoint that may help with greater perspectives and broaden the base of opinions. they did all recognize that as travel agents and as florida locals there is a different perspective on cruising travel nowadays so that was stated. with discounts too for fl locals.
perhaps this episode was leaning more towards the local fl. residents to really understand and relate to. I think there is a fl bubble that extends outside of wdw and is for all residents of fl when it comes to cruising and wdw vacations that we outside the bubble, the disney diaspora , are not a part of often. more incentive to have perhaps a non local on the show from time to time to voice that viewpoint.

I listened to a podcast recently about a group of 17 that went on a Disney cruise. The amount of quarantining they did prior to the cruise to try to keep every one free of the virus, as well as the anxiety they went through regarding testing before leaving home and again at the port just completely turned me off from cruising with the current rules in place. They did all make it on board, but it sounded so stressful!

I understand the cruise line following the rules set out by the CDC (this was prior to the order expiring), but I will stick to vacationing in places that do not require me to test prior to going.

Also, my husband and I own a business, we literally have one employee other than family. If we were stuck in quarantine for multiple days away from home, or heaven forbid out of the country, I would hate to think of the impact on our business.

We'll cruise again if/when the industry gets back to 'normal'.
we have the same issue with our business. it's why we cancelled wdw for jan. hard to get employees to work, and if we are out of the work place, it's basically closed and no money coming in.

I think Pete made a mistake comparing the parks to a cruise but one could easily compare a resort stay without the park to a cruise. I would argue a cruise is equal to a deluxe resort (plus food) perhaps even one with club level due to some food being included with club level stay (but not nearly as much as on a cruise).

So lets look purely at deluxe resorts vs the 2/19 7 night SWDAS cruise.
Cheapest deluxe currently available for those dates is Boardwalk Inn Garden View at $726.57 plus tax per night ($5,721)
Only deluxe club level currently available for those dates is the Polynesian at $1,022.43 plus tax per night ($8,051)

The 2/19 7 night SWDAS Cruise in a Verandah Stateroom
2 Adults- Deluxe Oceanview Verandah ($5,425) - no discount
2 Adults- VGT ($4,081)
2 Adults & 2 Kids- Deluxe Oceanview Verandah - ($8,276) no discount
2 Adults & 2 Kids- VGT ($6,274)

I think Pete's point that as far as resorts to cruise only that you really would get much more bang for your buck on a DCL ship vs staying at a Deluxe but that's just my opinion
yes, that was his point. strictly based on the money/what you're getting for it.

I think Pete made a mistake comparing the parks to a cruise but one could easily compare a resort stay without the park to a cruise. I would argue a cruise is equal to a deluxe resort (plus food) perhaps even one with club level due to some food being included with club level stay (but not nearly as much as on a cruise).

So lets look purely at deluxe resorts vs the 2/19 7 night SWDAS cruise.
Cheapest deluxe currently available for those dates is Boardwalk Inn Garden View at $726.57 plus tax per night ($5,721)
Only deluxe club level currently available for those dates is the Polynesian at $1,022.43 plus tax per night ($8,051)

The 2/19 7 night SWDAS Cruise in a Verandah Stateroom
2 Adults- Deluxe Oceanview Verandah ($5,425) - no discount
2 Adults- VGT ($4,081)
2 Adults & 2 Kids- Deluxe Oceanview Verandah - ($8,276) no discount
2 Adults & 2 Kids- VGT ($6,274)

I think Pete's point that as far as resorts to cruise only that you really would get much more bang for your buck on a DCL ship vs staying at a Deluxe but that's just my opinion

I appreciate you crunching some numbers but it really just reinforces (in my opinion) that almost any kind of leisure travel gives you more bang for your buck compared to the ridiculous rates at Disney deluxe hotels these days.

it's been said in various ways already but cruising is an entirely different vacation. comparing seems like a waste of energy to me. if we were going to talk about 'bang for your buck' we should all be doing all-inclusive resorts in Mexico instead.

but if that's not what you want, you won't be satisfied. that's how I feel about the cruise. Pete can try and sell me on it all day long - at times at the top of his lungs - but if I don't feel like cruising it doesn't matter what it costs. Works both ways too; if you want a cruise and somebody sells you on doing WDW instead you won't be happy.

I agree with being worried about being stranded somewhere if you had a positive test....but I was always concerned about other bugs going around the ships. Diarrhea, vomiting etc worries me more than cold symptoms. Also the bit about the country they're registered under being the laws that govern it while at sea.

also what happens if you get sick while on the cruise itself. that's a whole set of issues as well to deal with compared to on land

I'll say this too....no matter what I'm watching on TV, it seems every commercial break includes a DCL commercial. I see far less commercials for WDW.

I've heard it reported that the numbers are so off for the 50th that they pulled quite a bit of advertising. Not all of it and not from all markets but a significant amount from the bigger markets.

They need to see some push back from us on prices. I love WDW and still go, so I'm just as guilty as the next guy, but we stay on property less often and build in a lot of non-park days. We will be there for a full week in the spring and are planning 2 park days, 1 day on property doing other Disney things, and 4 days doing stuff around Orlando while staying at the Swan Reserve for less than half the price we were quoted at an All-Star that week.

First, I don't do well with heights. Those cruise ships look like they sit awfully high above the water. I'm not sure I would do well outside on a deck.

Second, my DW can get seasick on boats. We have a family cabin on Lake Superior's North Shore. (For those who don't understand Lake Superior, it is a small ocean and colder than Alaska's North Slope.) She has gotten seasick taking a large boat cruise on Lake Superior.

Third, my DD is scared of open water. Pools are fine. Ocean is no good. Ocean has sharks and all sorts of scary creatures living under the sea.

Fourth, due to COVID-19, I just cannot justify flying to Florida (from Wisconsin) and paying the expense of the trip to learn that I cannot take a cruise because I tested positive for COVID-19 somewhere in the days leading up to the cruise. I understand that trip insurance can help reimburse the costs of trip cancellation, but trip insurance cannot reimburse me taking leave from work. I have to plan and get approval for days off, because I'm not self-employed. But for folks like Pete who are self-employed and live in Florida, it seems like a positive COVID-19 test would be a lesser deal to cancel a DCL cruise.

I'm very happy Pete enjoys DCL and loves his experience cruising. It warms my heart he's so enthusiastic about DCL.

Last edited:
I want to start by saying I really look forward to when you and Kevin are on the podcast. It did seem like you were laughing as Pete spoke about people being turned away. Maybe your laughter was ill-timed or perhaps it was just a reaction that didn't sit well with me. I did go back to listen again and there is laughter. I was surprised because it seemed so out of character for you.

I just felt the need to mention it because I value your opinions.

I had the same reaction as the poster. It felt a little like they were somewhat mocking those people.

The truth is you can do everything "right" according to whatever the current guidelines are and STILL end up contracting/spreading Covid. So, it is a huge risk for families who have to fly or travel a far distance.

ETA: The reaction to Genie+ on social medial platforms (like the DisBoards Facebook) is mostly negative. I think guests can get away with not having it for most of their park days. It is a mostly unnecessary money-grab.

Last edited:
The idea that people are warming up to Genie+ and many are offering positive assessments now is not what I am seeing and hearing from Disney regulars.

Newbies may think it helps and offer positive reviews but if you have any experience with WDW and Fastpass+ (and knew how to use it) Genie+ is a poor substitute offering a much worse park experience.

We were there for 8 days in January and Genie+ made our wait at 3-4 rides in Magic Kingdom short compared to standby but, on any given MK Day in the past, we could multiply that by 3 with Fastpass+.

Wondering what the locals think as they were always suggesting standby lines were too long with FP+... They are even longer now but hey, you can get that one Lightning Lane attraction each morning now and hope for a few more in the afternoon.

Been twice! How is it there lately? Specifically, how are the rooms lately, getting oldish? need of renovation? is adult swim area still open to all ages?
Re: Aulani; We were there in September and the rooms are definitely not getting "oldish". Our unit was very nice - no renovation needed. Sadly though, the adult pool is still open to everybody. Major disappointment.

First, I don't due well with heights. Those cruise ships look like they sit awfully high above the water. I'm not sure I would do well outside on a deck.

Second, my DW can get seasick on boats. We have a family cabin on Lake Superior's North Shore. (For those who don't understand Lake Superior, it is a small ocean and colder than Alaska's North Slope.) She has gotten seasick taking a large boat cruise on Lake Superior.

Third, my DD is scared of open water. Pools are fine. Ocean is no good. Ocean has sharks and all sorts of scary creatures living under the sea.

Fourth, due to COVID-19, I just cannot justify flying to Florida (from Wisconsin) and paying the expense of the trip to learn that I cannot take a cruise because I tested positive for COVID-19 somewhere in the days leading up to the cruise. I understand that trip insurance can help reimburse the costs of trip cancellation, but trip insurance cannot reimburse me taking leave from work. I have to plan and get approval for days off, because I'm not self-employed. But for folks like Pete who are self-employed and live in Florida, it seems like a positive COVID-19 test would be a lesser deal to cancel a DCL cruise.

I'm very happy Pete enjoys DCL and loves his experience cruising. It warms my heart he's so enthusiastic about DCL.

Not on topic, but I wanted to say that we always go to the North Shore at least twice a year. We live in N Mn. and love the N. Shore. It's so beautiful and wild too:) Also, I agree with most of what you say about cruises.

Been twice! How is it there lately? Specifically, how are the rooms lately, getting oldish? need of renovation? is adult swim area still open to all ages?

adult swim area is gone I’m afraid but we still have the amazing hot tub! Room may need a refresh but it’s still luxurious and you feel TOTALLY immersed in Hawaii culture and feeling.

First, I don't due well with heights. Those cruise ships look like they sit awfully high above the water. I'm not sure I would do well outside on a deck.

"taking leave from "....that's an interesting conversation in and of itself. it's the divide of WFH and in person workers. Many people have mild covid and can also wfh while sick and not lose any time off . those who have to be in person lose many days which is their sick pay if lucky and they can't wfh so it's even more important to protect and safeguard your health and priorities when considering vacations because if you return sick you lose your pay or lose your sick time.

Not on topic, but I wanted to say that we always go to the North Shore at least twice a year. We live in N Mn. and love the N. Shore. It's so beautiful and wild too:) Also, I agree with most of what you say about cruises.
We need to be careful about sharing the word of how beautiful and wonderful the North Shore is and furthermore actually taking the circle tour around it. It's already busy up North and I don't need the rest of the country to find out how awesome it is so that more people flood the area. :)

In some ways it is the Gem of the United States and hardly anyone talks about it. I have visited all of the Great Lakes and Superior is superior in every way possible.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter