Anxiety at UOR

DRGUK

Earning My Ears
Hi everyone. I'm not sure if this is the right place to ask, but I'm hoping someone can offer some advice please.

We have a 2-week family trip planned to UOR next year, but my teenage daughter is getting very worried about the indoor queues, as she suffers from severe anxiety in crowded indoor places.

Her anxiety has become much worse recently, so much so that she is unable to take part in school assemblies and the teachers know not to question her if she walks out in the middle of a class due to having a panic attack.

I am planning to book one of the three hotels with express pass to minimise her time in indoor queues, but I know from our last visit 5 years earlier that there can still be a significant wait in the expess lines, especially at peak dates when we will be visiting, and I'm not sure how she would cope with this.

I was just wondering if Universal have anything in place to help with situations like this. I've read that Disney have a system where they will allow you to virtually queue with a return time, but I haven't found much info about how/if Universal deal with this type of issue.

Does anyone in a similar situation have any advice or tips please?

Many thanks

I’m here now and first of all two weeks is just too long for universal. As far as crowds in queues go if she has problems in classrooms and assembles then she will not do well in universal. Some rides are fine but some queues can get very crowded. Universal has gotten more crowded over the years.

Universal does have an Attraction Assistance Pass. You can call in advance to apply, or do it once you get to the park. It won't completely take away the wait. Just possibly reduce it. If you're getting Express Pass, then it's not necessary.
Universal also has a Quiet room, where groups can take turns.

I have a problem with crowds. A type of claustrophobia I guess. I can only do HHN with an RIP tour booked, an Express Pass or over two nights using both. I have had panic attacks outdoors in Sturgis SD during the bike rally because I am short and I was constantly surrounded by people. I did not have any problems doing the RIP tour or using Express Passes. It was a great accommodation for my issues.

My 15yo DD has severe anxieties and PTSD. The first time we went to Universal is when I realized just how bad it really was. We would be at the parks for maybe an hour, she would become extremely moody and untouchable. By the second hour she was ready to go back to the resort. We would stay in the room and order doordash because she couldn't face leaving the safety of the room. In our 5 day trip, I think we spent maybe 7 hours total in the parks. We never ate out, just in the safety of the room. Two years later, I went to the nines to make her as comfortable as possible and work around her anxieties and triggers. I first invited her best friend to go with us and her older sister. Got a suite at HRH for room, privacy for her and express passes (big bathroom for four females was a plus!!). Made sure I had all the quiet spots in the park mapped out for small breaks through the day. I also rented a cabana when at Volcano Bay away from the crowds. She was able to go all day for 5 or more hours at the parks with quiet breaks. Volcano Bay she played from open to close. She actually did HHN with a RIP tour and was able to do the whole tour. So, as long as you know her triggers, map out quiet spots throughout the day and allow her to decompress, it should help. My DD said the express passes help beyond belief. Her main trigger is touch by stranger, loud sudden noises and such. Just brushing against her and her breath hitches. So standing in the packed lines and having people brush up against her was a big issue. But, she would not let me get the disability pass because she felt it could be used for someone else. Good luck. You are an amazing mama to ask this question and worry for your daughter. It's not easy but I truly hope you have an amazing time!!!!

My own situation isn't anxiety, but more neurological, where I get disoriented in large crowds and lots of noise surrounding me. The solution for me is my husband will stand behind and my daughter in front in lines.

There are some quiet spots at the park. This is great advice and at Universal don't feel like you have to go go go. You can take a minute and have a break. I have heard that some theme parks have quiet room set up for guests with anxiety. Does Universal have the same??

If you're getting express pass, that's about as good as its going to get at reducing indoor lines and crowds. I woud suggest skipping the attractions with indoor, dark lines (Mummy, Forbidden Journey, Gringotts, etc). The good news is that there are still a lot of very good attractions with lines that are mostly outdoors (Rip Ride Rockit, JP River Adventue, Hagrids, etc)

If you're getting express pass, that's about as good as its going to get at reducing indoor lines and crowds. I woud suggest skipping the attractions with indoor, dark lines (Mummy, Forbidden Journey, Gringotts, etc). The good news is that there are still a lot of very good attractions with lines that are mostly outdoors (Rip Ride Rockit, JP River Adventue, Hagrids, etc)

I disagree with Hagrid's being a good line queue. There is a long cave like section that is very closed in. When the line slows down or completely halts because the ride breaks down, it can be very claustrophobic. We got stuck there after waiting in line for over 45 minutes and the group in front of us had to take the emergency exit because their teen daughter started panicking.

Hi everyone. I'm not sure if this is the right place to ask, but I'm hoping someone can offer some advice please.

We have a 2-week family trip planned to UOR next year, but my teenage daughter is getting very worried about the indoor queues, as she suffers from severe anxiety in crowded indoor places.

Her anxiety has become much worse recently, so much so that she is unable to take part in school assemblies and the teachers know not to question her if she walks out in the middle of a class due to having a panic attack.

I am planning to book one of the three hotels with express pass to minimise her time in indoor queues, but I know from our last visit 5 years earlier that there can still be a significant wait in the expess lines, especially at peak dates when we will be visiting, and I'm not sure how she would cope with this.

I was just wondering if Universal have anything in place to help with situations like this. I've read that Disney have a system where they will allow you to virtually queue with a return time, but I haven't found much info about how/if Universal deal with this type of issue.

Does anyone in a similar situation have any advice or tips please?

Many thanks
My son uses the AAP and if you are getting the Express Pass, that is the better option.

With AAP you will have to go to the attraction and they will hand write your return time. Then you wait and have to come back ... and enter the same line as you would have entered with express to begin with. AAP will not help you avoid anything that you get with Express. Like Disney World they use the same "express/lightning" lanes.

I disagree with Hagrid's being a good line queue. There is a long cave like section that is very closed in. When the line slows down or completely halts because the ride breaks down, it can be very claustrophobic. We got stuck there after waiting in line for over 45 minutes and the group in front of us had to take the emergency exit because their teen daughter started panicking.

I second this. I don't usually have anxiety and I have A LOT of trouble with the line for Hagrid's. I will only do the regular line if it is moving (i.e. just opened). If not, I will only go single rider. I know that some people say that takes the same amount of time as the regular line, but there is just the stairway (where you can see the outside and get out easily if needed) that is indoors before you get into final room.

Hagrid`s line is a tough one in parts as it does get quite condensed in one area and if you are prone to claustrophobia, it`s a tough one, but add in anxiety and it might not be one for your daughter. sandam1 has some good advice with single rider line being an alternative and a good one.

However, I`m constantly amazed by folks that say two weeks is too long at Universal. Many Brits stay at Universal for two weeks or longer.

Coming from the UK as you are, two weeks is usually the minimum we would travel for due to flight times of around 10 hours. DRGUK, you`ve stayed before so you know it`s not too long a time to visit.

I hope you have a lovely trip and your daughter manages just fine.

Last edited:
Universal does have an Attraction Assistance Pass. You can call in advance to apply, or do it once you get to the park. It won't completely take away the wait. Just possibly reduce it. If you're getting Express Pass, then it's not necessary.
Universal also has a Quiet room, where groups can take turns.
There are some quiet spots at the park. This is great advice and at Universal don't feel like you have to go go go. You can take a minute and have a break. I have heard that some theme parks have quiet room set up for guests with anxiety. Does Universal have the same??
UO has added one of these but they are very much built for very young children. It is a small room with young child play items and a chair for a parent. This would be completely useless for my DS. We find quiet places within the park with a snack and try to get through our moments.

https://orlandoinformer.com/blog/first-look-new-quiet-room-at-universal-studios-florida/

Hagrid`s line is a tough one in parts as it does get quite condensed in one area and if you are prone to claustrophobia, it`s a tough one, but add in anxiety and it might not be one for your daughter. sandam1 has some good advice with single rider line being an alternative and a good one.

However, I`m constantly amazed by folks that say two weeks is too long at Universal. Many Brits stay at Universal for two weeks or longer.

Coming from the UK as you are, two weeks is usually the minimum we would travel for due to flight times of around 10 hours. DRGUK, you`ve stayed before so you know it`s not too long a time to visit.

I hope you have a lovely trip and your daughter manages just fine.
We actually ended up using the regular line for Hogwarts Express from IOA to UO and it was one of the most painful for us. Luckily there were 6 of us so we could create a bubble of space for DS but the switchbacks and the huge packed main room was something I will now avoid completely.

I have AP to WDW and UO, I spend lots of time in lines with international travelers and speak often with Brits. They all seem to be in Orlando for 2-3 weeks but they all have told me they do WDW the most, UO, SeaWorld etc. I can totally see staying that long to do as much as we could at several places. I absolutely see staying at their hotels that long, but again no in just UO parks for that long.

But I also can not comprehend spending two weeks at UO only. I think at most I'd do 4 days there (just the two main parks). If adding Volcano Bay that could add a few relaxing days as well. SO a week tops. There isn't enough to do with just two theme parks for two weeks. Now when EPIC Universe opens that will change things a bit.

Last edited:
That's a good point and can't disagree. I was thinking mainly of the long outdoor portions of the line. Its hard to advise the OP accurately without really knowing more about her daughter's condition. For example, i suggested Rip Ride Rockit and JP River Adventure as probably safe alternatives for her because the lines are open air and don't feel like an inside crowded space to me. But at the same time, they are covered. Does that create too much of an enclosed environment for her? Not sure any of us can know that (other than mom). But I do feel comfortable suggesting she keep her daughter away from the dark, enclosed lines (even with express pass) because they can feel cramped pretty quickly and there is always going to be some waiting

UO has added one of these but they are very much built for very young children. It is a small room with young child play items and a chair for a parent. This would be completely useless for my DS. We find quiet places within the park with a snack and try to get through our moments.

https://orlandoinformer.com/blog/first-look-new-quiet-room-at-universal-studios-florida/

We actually ended up using the regular line for Hogwarts Express from IOA to UO and it was one of the most painful for us. Luckily there were 6 of us so we could create a bubble of space for DS but the switchbacks and the huge packed main room was something I will now avoid completely.

I have AP to WDW and UO, I spend lots of time in lines with international travelers and speak often with Brits. They all seem to be in Orlando for 2-3 weeks but they all have told me they do WDW the most, UO, SeaWorld etc. I can totally see staying that long to do as much as we could at several places. I absolutely see staying at their hotels that long, but again no in just UO parks for that long.

But I also can not comprehend spending two weeks at UO only. I think at most I'd do 4 days there (just the two main parks). If adding Volcano Bay that could add a few relaxing days as well. SO a week tops. There isn't enough to do with just two theme parks for two weeks. Now when EPIC Universe opens that will change things a bit.

It must be hard with folks who have issues with such things, if you can find any remedy, it must be a relief.

Yes, many Brits do both parks and others too. We don`t do Disney, have never done Seaworld and spend most of our time at Universal. We have a month stay coming up in September and 3 weeks is our average length of trip.

We don`t get bored at Universal, but we maybe do half a day or a full day or none at all as we always have a car like a lot of Brits do so we like to mooch around Florida too.

But we do know folks who base themselves there and have a very relaxing time doing only Universal.....we have never made Early Entry, and have no intentions of ever doing so. With EP we can relax and smell the roses, enjoy the parks, the resorts, Citywalk and further afield.

However, I do appreciate it`s not for everyone. We could do what we would opt to do in Disney for example in half a day. Tower of Terror and Rock n roller coaster, maybe Splash Mountain and Expedition Everest....that`s about it for Disney for us.

But, there are folks who do spend longer times at Universal, never get bored and love every relaxing second of it. There may not be enough for you to do for longer periods of time, but it`s not accurate to say to people anything other than "X" amount of days is too much for everyone.

But, there are folks who do spend longer times at Universal, never get bored and love every relaxing second of it. There may not be enough for you to do for longer periods of time, but it`s not accurate to say to people anything other than "X" amount of days is too much for everyone.
Never said everyone. And there are lots of locals that pop in and out like that regularly. I think what others and I were saying is the we don't know anyone and can't imagine spending that kind of money staying two weeks at Universal and doing only Universal. I guess for me to travel to Orlando it is to do theme parks etc. If I want a relaxing trip then I travel to a resort somewhere relaxing or on the beach.

I think the numbers who can spend that kind of money for 2 weeks in one location with just two theme parks are probably quite low. I imagine most use their time to visit all the theme parks.

Never said everyone. And there are lots of locals that pop in and out like that regularly. I think what others and I were saying is the we don't know anyone and can't imagine spending that kind of money staying two weeks at Universal and doing only Universal. I guess for me to travel to Orlando it is to do theme parks etc. If I want a relaxing trip then I travel to a resort somewhere relaxing or on the beach.

I think the numbers who can spend that kind of money for 2 weeks in one location with just two theme parks are probably quite low. I imagine most use their time to visit all the theme parks.

I was referring generally to others who have said the same thing, that there will never be enough to do to fill the time. It wasn`t personal to you.

The thing is we`re all different.....I for example couldn`t imagine anything worse than sitting on a beach in the Maldives for 3 weeks like some of our friends do, I personally would be bored rigid after half an hour.

I can only speak for the folks I know that travel to Orlando from the UK and many do enjoy Universal only now since Disney doesn`t appeal as much for several reasons. Staying at the Loews resorts is very relaxing to us and well worth every penny and pound we spend to get there and stay for a month. My nephew and his wife had just over a month staying between Portofino/RPR/Sapphire Falls recently, they only left the resorts/parks to have a an odd day here and there and for dinners out, they had a blast.

It is very much each to their own, but again....for the folks I know who visit from the UK, it is not out of the ordinary to spend that amount of money and only do Universal now.

I have to agree about the Hagrid's line, I do not generally have claustrophobia or anxiety issues but that cave section gets me every time I hate it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter