Any chance Disney will move from Vancouver to Seattle?

mommy2allyandaveri

DIS Veteran
Seems like they would be a lot more likely to be able to sail next summer if they aren't dealing with another country.

The Jones Act requires that non - US registered ships cannot go from US port to US Port and disembark passengers at the end of a cruise, they must stop at a foreign port first. It is an archaic law that should be changed, or at least temporarily amended during these unprecedented times.

We did an Alaska cruise on DCL out of Seattle. I think they did it for 1 year. The issue comes when they relocate to/from Seattle from other US ports. They are supposed to visit a "distant foreign" port. Being they came from California, that is hard to do. I heard they were fined for not meeting this requirement. Ever since they've gone through Vancouver. Too bad, Seattle was perfect.

There are so many factors that would need to be considered including staffing of ground crew, contracts to vendors, port availability and fees including any fees related to cancelling contracts, changes in advertising and media, impact on passenger feeder markets, etc. All of that would have to be calculated to determine the costs to the cruise line as compared to using a different port. It's not a simple switch to change ports on a permanent basis (vs a last minute itinerary change), and not something which would be done with a few months notice.

Why do they have to visit a foreign port?

Don't other lines depart Seattle and never stop in Canada?
The Jones Act requires that non - US registered ships cannot go from US port to US Port and disembark passengers at the end of a cruise, they must stop at a foreign port first. It is an archaic law that should be changed, or at least temporarily amended during these unprecedented times.
Actually, it's the PVSA (Passenger Vessel Services Act), not the Jones Act. The Jones Act pertains to cargo, the PVSA pertains to passenger vessels.

No, there are no other cruise lines that depart Seattle and never stop in Canada for Alaska cruises.

The PVSA states that foreign-flagged ships must call at a foreign port for all cruises. So, a stop in Canada is the most logical stop for an Alaska cruise.

Since the act has been around long enough to have survived the 1918 pandemic with no changes, I seriously doubt that it will be changed/waived in the current situation. I think congress is too busy with other stuff.

Last edited:
We did an Alaska cruise on DCL out of Seattle. I think they did it for 1 year. The issue comes when they relocate to/from Seattle from other US ports. They are supposed to visit a "distant foreign" port. Being they came from California, that is hard to do. I heard they were fined for not meeting this requirement. Ever since they've gone through Vancouver. Too bad, Seattle was perfect.
Did they go Seattle right up to Alaska or are you just meaning the repo cruises?

All of the cruises from Seattle stop in Victoria. Often it is a 5pm-9pm stop or so. A few do a full day, which is pleasant. Victoria is lovely.

So. Disney would not only have to make the arrangements to homeport Seattle and deal with repo cruising issues, but also negotiate porting at Victoria, which is already pretty busy.

Why do they have to visit a foreign port?

Don't other lines depart Seattle and never stop in Canada?
The Merchant Marine Act of 1920, specifically the sections known as the Jones Act regulates maritime commerce in U.S. waters and between U.S. ports.
The law requires that goods transported by water between U.S. ports be carried in ships flagged by the U.S. that are owned and operated by U.S. citizens.

The Merchant Marine Act of 1920, specifically the sections known as the Jones Act regulates maritime commerce in U.S. waters and between U.S. ports.
The law requires that goods transported by water between U.S. ports be carried in ships flagged by the U.S. that are owned and operated by U.S. citizens.
But we're discussing passenger vessels here. That would be under the PVSA. Not the Jones Act.

In summary:

If DCL changed the registry of the Wonder to the USA, and hired and abided by US employment laws to staff her, they could do Seattle-Alaska all day long without a Canada stop, and repo from San Diego to AK without a foreign stop, and even go Seattle-HI or SD-HI.

But... there is just no way they'll do that.

In summary:

If DCL changed the registry of the Wonder to the USA, and hired and abided by US employment laws to staff her, they could do Seattle-Alaska all day long without a Canada stop, and repo from San Diego to AK without a foreign stop, and even go Seattle-HI or SD-HI.

But... there is just no way they'll do that.
I thought the ship had to be built in the U.S., also to qualify.

I thought the ship had to be built in the U.S., also to qualify.
I think it would be possible to get a waiver on that, as there is no builder of cruise vessels in the US over a certain tonnage. Pride of America was part of a program to start that, but the builder collapsed and the ship was completed in Germany.

What should change is these companies skirting around US labor laws and taxes by flagging the ship in a country that they basically never disembark from.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter