Any idea when we can buy WDW annual passes?

Status
Not open for further replies.
That could also present issues with DVC. One of the biggest blue card perks (the biggest really) is the access to DVC gold AP, and they use that access as a key sales point with their pitches. While they are allowed to change perks for any reason they want, that could create a bait and switch because they used it so much as a marketing tool... unless they replace it with something similar. DVCers, myself included, would be pissed to say the least as that limits the value you are receiving considerably.

Spot on. I would think that unless they start selling new passes soon that the marketing material stating that perk exists would need to be removed. However I think new annual pass sales will start again soon but what that pass includes or excludes should be interesting, I am hoping that for everyone’s sake it is similar to to current AP.

Hear me out ......

just thinking 🤔

if I add a person to my family group on
{My Disney Experience}

and I have the “Exchange Certificate” can I just reassign the pass to them?
ANNNNND they now would have an AP ?

after doing that I could just renew my pass again before the window to renew closes ?

just an idea 💡

Hear me out ......

just thinking 🤔

{My Disney Experience}

after doing that I could just renew my pass again before the window to renew closes ?

just an idea 💡
I'll be your adopted family member, along with my wife and 4 year old! 😊

Hear me out ......

just thinking 🤔

{My Disney Experience}

just an idea 💡
I actually did something similar by reassign a extra voucher I had on my account to a family member so they would have an AP. I was able to get the recovery AP for me for a AP that was cancelled last year.

I guess a good litmus test on how "soon" APs are likely to return is the Park Availability Calendar. While I know people don't like to hear it - Disney doesn't care about AP holders - they want day ticket holders and package holiday guests - they generate the most revenue. Disney's priority is to fill its park with the highest paying guests first. Us AP holders are there to fill up the remaining space; they'd rather have some money than none.

So, as soon as we see that its easy for day ticket guests to get a reservation, then I'd say its highly likely APs will return in quick order after that. Right now, the whole of June is unavailable to day-ticket holders, and the whole of July is yellow (and most days have at least 2 parks full). So we will have to see what the next capacity increase brings...

I guess a good litmus test on how "soon" APs are likely to return is the Park Availability Calendar. While I know people don't like to hear it - Disney doesn't care about AP holders - they want day ticket holders and package holiday guests -

If that is the case, and it is, literally out of Paychek's own mouth he said AP's are by far the least desirable guests disney wishes to cater too in an earning call(he did not distinguish between land and WDW so give up on that tired argument pls). Why on earth would you think they would even bring it back? Or if they did, it would be with huge changes to the point it barely looks or acts the same?

I just don't understand how everyone can agree and acknowledge what Paychek said and then go and say "ohhh, but it will be coming back" it is incongruous in every way. :scratchin

They are allowing people to renew--both my sister and I did recently--so I have hope.

They are allowing people to renew--both my sister and I did recently--so I have hope.

And Disney has made reference to WDW APs returning...in their recent news about discontinuing free AP Magic Bands and in an email to me from the DVC President. So publicly they have only referenced discontinued APs at DLR and have actually stated/implied APs will return to WDW, in addition to the current renewing they are doing. I guess that's why we all think they are coming back.

You realize that not only is that a gesture of goodwill but they might even be legally liable if the didn't allow that due to the pandemic? Basically people were paying for AP's that were unusable and they were losing their jobs and being forced, economically, to cancel their AP's.

You need only look within this thread to realize there are TON of people they are not letting do that. If you meet a certain criteria they will. They literally have no choice, it is not going to destroy their bottom line to allow a small percentage to slip through for one more year of AP.

And Disney has made reference to WDW APs returning...in their recent news about discontinuing free AP Magic Bands and in an email to me from the DVC President. So publicly they have only referenced discontinued APs at DLR and have actually stated/implied APs will return to WDW, in addition to the current renewing they are doing. I guess that's why we all think they are coming back.

First, please provide the link. Second, AP's will very likely be back, but what they aren't telling you is they will look nothing like they did before.

I prefer to just read but, I want to provide some clarity. Much of what Chapek, said were not really against annual passholders but why revenue was down in the middle of a pandemic, go figure. The second section is more specific to Disneyland and implies changes but with all changes some might benefit more others less. I was not aware that annual passes were that much more common in Disneyland than Disney World.

From what I found Disneyland and Disney World are two very different things and depending on what kind of guest you are the new system might be better or worse.

Chapek was aiming to clarify that the less-than-expected performance of the reopened parks was not due to offering discounts. Instead, the parks have been suffering from a “disruption in travel patterns“.
With fewer out-of-state guests flocking to Florida to visit the parks, the proportion of local Passholders visiting the parks right now is much higher than usual.
Chapek stated matter-of-factly that Annual Passholders do not bring as much value to the company in terms of revenue. Chapek compared them to guests who come from out-of-state and stay for a week in a Disney resort.
“AS YOU KNOW, DIFFERENT GUESTS, DEPENDING ON WHERE THEY ARE COMING FROM, HAVE DIFFERENT RELATIVE VALUES IN TERMS OF THEIR CONTRIBUTION AS A GUEST TO THE PARK. TYPICALLY SOMEONE WHO TRAVELS AND STAYS FOR 5-7 DAYS IS MARGINALLY MORE VALUABLE TO THE BUSINESS THAN SOMEONE WHO COMES IN ON AN ANNUAL PASS AND STAYS A DAY OR TWO AND CONSUMES LESS MERCHANDISE AND FOOD AND BEVERAGE.”

May
During the call Chapek said about Annual Passes, “And as you all know, we ended our current annual pass program at Disneyland, and that gives us a chance to sort of create a modern version of a park loyalty program, an affinity program that isn’t necessarily governed by legacy”
Chapek also said that Disney hasn’t “even scratched the surface” when it comes to “Improving guest experience. However, there will also be efforts made with the new program to “get an adequate return to our shareholders for the type of experience that we do give to our guests.”

We’ve made some changes already, you know. You’ve heard about some changes in our Annual Pass program at Disneyland, which, you know, in a non-COVID environment would have been a tough one to make because they just keep renewing and renewing. But, you know, when you start lapping a year, without anybody going for an Annual Pass program, that gives you the chance. And so we’re going to use that though in order to have an even better Guest experience at Disneyland and really manage the crowds so that no matter what day you go to Disneyland, you’re going to have an extraordinary experience.”

After all, we already know that Walt Disney World Annual Passholders are required to make theme park reservations like every other Disney World park Guest. So, seeing as Disneyland Resort hosts tens of thousands more Passholders than Disney World does, it’s clear that the company believed something had to be done on the West Coast prior to the theme parks reopening.

If that is the case, and it is, literally out of Paychek's own mouth he said AP's are by far the least desirable guests disney wishes to cater too in an earning call(he did not distinguish between land and WDW so give up on that tired argument pls). Why on earth would you think they would even bring it back? Or if they did, it would be with huge changes to the point it barely looks or acts the same?

I just don't understand how everyone can agree and acknowledge what Paychek said and then go and say "ohhh, but it will be coming back" it is incongruous in every way. :scratchin
I prefer to just read but, I want to provide some clarity. Much of what Chapek, said were not really against annual passholders but why revenue was down in the middle of a pandemic, go figure. The second section is more specific to Disneyland and implies changes but with all changes some might benefit more others less. I was not aware that annual passes were that much more common in Disneyland than Disney World.

From what I found Disneyland and Disney World are two very different things and depending on what kind of guest you are the new system might be better or worse.

Chapek was aiming to clarify that the less-than-expected performance of the reopened parks was not due to offering discounts. Instead, the parks have been suffering from a “disruption in travel patterns“.
With fewer out-of-state guests flocking to Florida to visit the parks, the proportion of local Passholders visiting the parks right now is much higher than usual.
Chapek stated matter-of-factly that Annual Passholders do not bring as much value to the company in terms of revenue. Chapek compared them to guests who come from out-of-state and stay for a week in a Disney resort.
“AS YOU KNOW, DIFFERENT GUESTS, DEPENDING ON WHERE THEY ARE COMING FROM, HAVE DIFFERENT RELATIVE VALUES IN TERMS OF THEIR CONTRIBUTION AS A GUEST TO THE PARK. TYPICALLY SOMEONE WHO TRAVELS AND STAYS FOR 5-7 DAYS IS MARGINALLY MORE VALUABLE TO THE BUSINESS THAN SOMEONE WHO COMES IN ON AN ANNUAL PASS AND STAYS A DAY OR TWO AND CONSUMES LESS MERCHANDISE AND FOOD AND BEVERAGE.”

May
During the call Chapek said about Annual Passes, “And as you all know, we ended our current annual pass program at Disneyland, and that gives us a chance to sort of create a modern version of a park loyalty program, an affinity program that isn’t necessarily governed by legacy”
Chapek also said that Disney hasn’t “even scratched the surface” when it comes to “Improving guest experience. However, there will also be efforts made with the new program to “get an adequate return to our shareholders for the type of experience that we do give to our guests.”

We’ve made some changes already, you know. You’ve heard about some changes in our Annual Pass program at Disneyland, which, you know, in a non-COVID environment would have been a tough one to make because they just keep renewing and renewing. But, you know, when you start lapping a year, without anybody going for an Annual Pass program, that gives you the chance. And so we’re going to use that though in order to have an even better Guest experience at Disneyland and really manage the crowds so that no matter what day you go to Disneyland, you’re going to have an extraordinary experience.”

After all, we already know that Walt Disney World Annual Passholders are required to make theme park reservations like every other Disney World park Guest. So, seeing as Disneyland Resort hosts tens of thousands more Passholders than Disney World does, it’s clear that the company believed something had to be done on the West Coast prior to the theme parks reopening.
I was going to refute what you said, but Jcsquirrel did it in far more detail and better than I was going to. Great job.

I will also add that I know for a fact that Disney wants to bring back APs for WDW. Will they be a bit different? Possibly, but they are coming back. APs have a lot more value to Disney at WDW than at DLR. Just because Chapek doesn't go into every minutae of what he meant in a shareholders meeting doesn't mean there isn't more detail and nuance. In those meetings, they typically try to stick to the numbers and a super-high level view.

We canceled our passes in June 2020 after thinking it wouldn’t be safe for a very long time & got refund. Called Disney passholder line 05/19 and was put on list & got the call tonight and was able to buy 2 new passes for husband and I to activate when we go. Fingers crossed they open up sales for passes to everyone soon since things are continually improving covid wise now.

If this question has already been answered, I apologize.

We are moving from Orange County, CA, to the Orlando area, and are really bummed that we cannot purchase new annual passes because of...well, you know...

Are there any rumors or actual information regarding when we will be allowed to purchase them again?

We canceled our passes in June 2020 after thinking it wouldn’t be safe for a very long time & got refund. Called Disney passholder line 05/19 and was put on list & got the call tonight and was able to buy 2 new passes for husband and I to activate when we go. Fingers crossed they open up sales for passes to everyone soon since things are continually improving covid wise now.

Before I scroll all these pages of this thread for this answer, perhaps you can help me! Did they tell you roughly the cost of the annuals passes. I can't remember what we paid!

Thank you!:earsgirl:

DL and WDW are two completely different parks for AP. I believe that around 80% of the visitors at DL were pass holders. 80%, that parks sustains on local people to visit. WDW is around 20% pass holders. It relies on people from other states and other countries. Right now other states, due to travel restrictions. It was the AP and DVC members who helped keep WDW a float during the last recession. Chapek has a short term memory. While a AP might not bring in as much revenue as a ticket guest over a week. That AP might go to WDW 40 times a year buying food and merchandise. You have to take the good with the bad. If they change the AP at DL and mess it up, it could get really ugly out there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter