• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Any ideas for a good digital camera...

Robinrs

DIS Veteran
..for about $200 or less?

I only need it for travel pics, kid pics and kitty pics so I don't need to break the bank! :teeth:

My old Polaroid bit the dust so I need one for my May trip. Any ideas or websites?

Thanks in advance!

I got this from Kim Komando's computer newsletter at
http://www.komando.com

A digital camera
There are scads of digital units around. A three-megapixel camera is more than enough for most non-professionals. This camera will produce quality prints up to 8 by 10 inches. Look for one that has an optical zoom 3X or higher and takes short videos with audio. Cameras in this class include the FujiFilm FinePix 3800 ($332) and the Olympus Camedia C-740 Ultra Zoom ($500).

For less money, a two-megapixel camera is still a fine choice. It will produce prints up to 5 by 7 inches. Here, the Canon Powershot A40 ($299) and the Nikon Coolpix 2500 ($300).

I'm sure someone else will help but this is a good start.
Cheryl

Has anyone tried a Sony DSCP32 Digital Camera??

I looked at one yesterday - it has 3.2 megapixal, 3.2 Smart Digital Zoom and MPG Movie Mode -- for $229.00 at Circuit City. I liked the price, but wondered if it took nice pictures?

I have a Kodak 4300, I bought it on Black Friday last year for around $200, I think it normally sells for about $250. I'm the least technically inclined person EVER, so this camera is perfect for me. It takes great pictures, and its very easy to use. I'd recommend it, especially if you aren't aiming for the Dan Murphy standard of photography. :teeth:

Thanks for the suggestions, everyone.

I spent some time checking the suggested ones out on the web yesterday, now I'm MORE confused! I want them all! :teeth:

I'm going to go to WalMart today and get some advice and HOPEFULLY a good price!

Good luck Robin! I hope you find a good deal. As Cheryl said in her post, really try to get an optical zoom. I think that is a must with a camera.

Hi, Elaine:

Could you explain to me the optical zoom and why it's so important? I'm like snoops, CLUELESS!! :confused:

I have an older kodak that even DH could figure out! :) that's actually the reason we chose it. I had it narrowed down to 2 (there were fewer choices then) and at the store he picked up the kodak & I got the Olympus. When I still didn't understand the Olympus & he had all the kodak functions down, we KNEW which was the right one!!

Nikon makes good cameras as well. People also seem happy with Canon. Canon has some smaller cameras that are great for travel!

I like this website for camera reviews - http://www.steves-digicams.com/

happy shopping!

We have a Canon Powershot s200. We LOVE it! It was closer to $300, I think, but it's a great little camera. :) It's TINY!! It takes great pictures. It's only 2.0 megapixals, but that's all we need. The only size pictures we print are 4x6, so it's perfect for us. It as 2 or 3 optical zooms and more digital zooms. We took some pictures w/ digital zoom at it's max at WDW in March and they weren't too bad...you can tell the difference, but they weren't awful, just a little blurry looking.

Get a SONY--they are the BEST!!!;) I have the 3.2 Mega-pixel. It should run around 300 now.;)

If you haven't found out yet (& are still reading this thread :) ) an optical zoom means the lens actually works to enlarge the picture. It's what you would get in a regular, non-digital camera. A digital zoom basically just enlarges the picture electronically. It loses its crispness. It's like if you enlarged a photo using software.

Most digital cameras have a combination of optical & digital zooms.

Robin, I just now saw your question. Optical zoom uses the lens itself to do the zooming. The digital zoom uses software only in the camera and it makes the quality of the pictures pretty grainy and not very good. Most of the cameras have optical zoom, but some of the lowest end ones do not and only have the digital zoom.

Here's a link that shows you the difference in the way pictures look with digital zoom

http://catcode.com/comments/kbpics.html

I have two different Canon digital cameras. I almost went with a Nikon my last time but changed my mind when I saw the G3. Really though, a lot of the decision on which you get should be with which you feel most comfortable playing with in the store. Good luck :)

Thanks everyone, and Gillian that website is PRICELESS! Great information!!

Faith, I know you can't beat a Sony. Just trying to get the price a LITTLE lower... :p

I found a pretty good deal for a camera and a printer at WalMart.com..CLICK HERE

The camera and the printer got pretty good reviews on Amazon.com. Any ideas?

Thanks everyone! I over obsess over ANYTHING I buy! :p

Robin, that camera you are looking at only has digital zoom. As most posters have said, optical zoom is the best. I use my zoom about for about half of my shots.

DH bought dd and I our fvery first digital cameras for xmas. The Cannon S330 2 mexapixel and 3x optical zoom. Small, sturdy and an excellent lense.

Went to Disney right after we got them and got good results with the camera. Didn't even use my regular APS camera down there.

I don't have a printer and I don't think I want one right now. I take my card into Sams and print for 20 each.

You are NOT obsessing! There is SO much info out there about digital cameras, and it is an expensive purchase.

herc.

I think optical zoom us a must.

Of helenabear 4 I am not a fan of the Nikon - it doesn't have a view finder and it is hard to see the screen in sunlight.

The fuji doesn't have video out so you cant play your pirtures on the tv in the hotel room at night.

The Kodak and Olympus have both.

I would look at the reviews of both over at Steve's

http://www.steves-digicams.com/cameras_dig2.html

I can only echo what was said, Robin. The camera you linked to doesn't have optical zoom so I would leave it go. Also I think it is usually better to get the prints made at a photo place so that they are better quality and last longer.

I probably should have looked closer Zurg, as I didn't notice that that Nikon doesn't have a view finder (which most view finders on Nikons drive me batty) and didn't notice the video out missing on the Fuji. I think my brother has that Kodak (or at least one close to it) and it was nice to play with.

Again, good luck Robin :)

What about the Kodak CX4230 ? It's only 2 megapixel, but it seems to have a lot of features. It's under $200 at walmart, but it looks like you can get if for less online.

When I am looking for electronics I usually do searches on coupon sites & their forums to see if there are stores where I can get good deals. I like fatwallet.com. Staples.com often has good online coupons & they have free shipping over $50! Staples has it for the same price as walmart.com, but it will be less if you can find a $30 off $150 coupon. There is one out there now, PM me if you want more info.

See if this link to epinions works
http://www.epinions.com/Kodak_EasyS...ces/pp_~1/sort_~total_price/sort_dir_~asc#wtb

Okay, I am learning SO MUCH from you guys!!

I saw this Toshiba late at night on Shop at Home TV. :p I found it on the web for $209!

Is this one okay my experts??? :teeth: I love you guys!

I read through that review, Robin (as I am not all that familiar with Toshiba as a camera) and one thing they said bothers me. In the review it was mentioned that the image quality isn't all that great. I personally would go for the Kodak I listed over that Toshiba. Also the Kodak has a better flash range from what I recalled reading. Just my thought though.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter