Any knitters out there?

Hi everyone!
Jennifer's right, I couldn't resist coming back!

Linda, I'm going to send you my email addy, I can't wait to see your pattern!
Hey, it's the puddy tat! But his face has got a little squashed on the journey. He need squishing down a bit to look like when he left us, just press his head together between the crown and chin - I promise he won't feel a thing!

I went to my favourite wool shop yesterday and they're getting their new season stuff in. Oooooh! Germany's more or less like the UK, nothing near as good as the US seems to be. But I do like this shop.

Anyone else need anything?

And if you by, hi to my friend Marilyn in Los Alamos!
:wave:

I would love to learn to knit. Where do you guys suggest I start looking? I'm in the Northern Virginia area.

Hi everyone, sorry I'm a little late for the circle. I've been keeping up with the conversations though.

Hey Steph, try the website for The Knitting Guild of America:
(TKGA) TKGA

Click on "Association", then click your region (purple) and you will find knitting guilds in your area. I've been a member of TKGA for more years than probably the total number of trips to Disneyworld the members of this board have taken. :D :D :D

I have found them to be an excellent resource. You can go the guild meetings, where they probably have learning workshops. As a member of TKGA, you can take advantage of on-line learning and correspondence classes, although I think if you check out a local knitting guild and feel comfortable there, the comraderie of the members and the ability to learn hands on right there with help available would be good.

I bought my daughter a "learn to knit" kit from the local craft store. It has good directions, some yarn and some shorter needles in about a size 10. It was good for her because it was a cute little kit. And the needles were shorter, so it was easier for her. This might be a quick way to get the basics.

Yarn stores near you (if there are any) probably have lessons.

Also try The Craft Yarn Council and click on the Learn How link.

Or, I'd be happy to take a trip on down to Virginia and teach you! :p :p

Originally posted by fantasymagic
Or, I'd be happy to take a trip on down to Virginia and teach you! :p :p

Hey that was going to be my offer! ;)

There are also basic directions for how to knit in the back of some knitting magazines. Easy Knitting from Family Circle is a good starter Mag. They have nice simple projects. If you want to invest in a good reference book (great directions for all kinds of stitches) Vouge Knittiing is an exellent choice!

The only thing I don't like about the Learn to Knit Kits is they limit you to acrylic yarn, and metal needles. Everyone has their own preferences and I would want to feel the different kinds of needles and wools to see which I liked best (personally I am a wood needle 100%cotton or wool gal!)

A trip to your local yarn store (NOT craft shop) would be a good idea. Then you can see what's out there, and I bet they would have some classes too. Good luck!

Welcome,fantasymagic !

I looked into TKGA when I started designing patterns. I just wasn't sure not having known anyone involved. You recommend them then? I'll have to go back and look again. :)

Hi jldriscoll,

TKGA produces a quarterly publication called "Cast On", which by the way, you can find in a book store (Borders) or in a yarn store. They have really good technical articles.

I took a correspondence class through them to get a designation of a Master Knitter because I thought I might like to teach a class through the local technical school. Anyway, I was expecting it to be a piece of cake, but I was really surprised at what I actually learned, through the questions and research and samples.

I read about those classes. (At their site) They looked really intersting. I'll check Borders next time I'm there for the magazine. Thanks!

Does anyone else convert knitting patterns for circuler knitting? I HATE sewing pieces together and the seams always fail and need repar. Consequently, I convert all my patterns to knit in one piece as much as possible. Raglans are the easiest, next are drop shoulder sweaters. When a sweater calls for cap sleeves I do the body in one piece and reluctantly sew the sleeves to the shoulders.

Any other circular knitting fans out there?

Linda

Thanks for the advice on finding a beginning knitting class. I got hooked up (no pun intended) with a yarn store about 30 minutes from me. I'm just back from my first class and I had so much fun. I need lots of practice. I'll let you guys know how it goes. They say I'm going to be able to make a sweater by the end of it. We'll see. :rolleyes:

I bought some really neat stuff to make a scarf. Two different kinds of yarn. One is purple all fuzzy and the other is multi-colored, shot with gold. If this comes out good, I'll post a pic.

Thanks again!

Olaf,

Have fun at your knitting class. Yes, you will be able to knit a sweater by the end of the class.

Our local knitting store has a Knitting Circle every Tuesday night. People of all abilities just sit around and knit, chat, and have a great time. There's always someone who knows how to solve any problem that arises.

Please post a picture of your scarf. I'd love to see it.

Linda

Yay Olaf!

You will love that scarf! I was just at our shop yesterday, the owner is expanding her stock and she's gotten in the funnest fuzzy yarns! I really wanted to get some....but I was there for some of those baby projects I need to work on. Carol sent me a wonderful cable sweater and hat pattern for the baby girl....I'm doing it in this cotton blend......
fca43bdd.jpg

It's not really as bright as it scanned. It has a dusty look and so soft!

Sorry Linda, I've no idea. I hate sewing up too though. Is there anyone who doesn't?! My Aunty has the right idea, she gets my Uncle to do it for her!
I finished the summer top pattern you sent me, it looks great - thanks again for the pattern! All I need now is some sun so I can wear it....

Olaf, great news!!! I hope you really enjoy your knitting - I can't live without mine or my cross stitich. Please show us the scarf when you've finished.

Jennifer, get the bag project finished and on with the baby stuff - it's much more fun! I can't wait to see it.

I'm knitting a sweater for spring now, silky blue gunmetel with tailored sides and a great edge pattern. You knit the edge as a long strip, then pick up the stitches along the long edge and knit upwards. The pattern's a cotton yarn which shows up the edge pattern better but I'm still happy with it - I found the wool a couple of weeks ago. I bought it twelve years ago and forgot about it!

Happy knitting everybody!
:wave:

Originally posted by LindaG4458
Does anyone else convert knitting patterns for circuler knitting? I HATE sewing pieces together and the seams always fail and need repar. Consequently, I convert all my patterns to knit in one piece as much as possible. Raglans are the easiest, next are drop shoulder sweaters. When a sweater calls for cap sleeves I do the body in one piece and reluctantly sew the sleeves to the shoulders.

Any other circular knitting fans out there?

Linda

Linda, you posted this just before I left and I wanted to chat about it when I had the proper time. I have designed a few circular patterns for the exact reason you like doing them. No finish work! I have a pettern from the web that lets you create any size raglan sweater I used it to create a cable design working top to bottom.

Have you ever knitted your shoulder seams together? that works really well too.

Carol,
Glad the pattern came out good. It should be a comfortable top to wear when (and if) the weather ever gets warm again.

Jennifer,
Yes, I also knit my shoulder seams together. It's a sturdy seam and looks great from the right side. That was one of the little tricks I picked up from one particular pattern and use all the time now.

This afternoon I am finishing the sweater for my 4-year-old niece and starting a sweater for my largest, male cocker spaniel. Red is his color!

Linda

Hey Linda, I've found something that might interest you!

Knitting for Anarchists. Check it out on www.unicornbooks.com. It says there are `no seams to sew when you finish!´ :wave:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter