Any knitters out there?

Hi thatcats!,

Ooo, I love knitting for daughters!! I'm lucky enough to have 2 to knit for. Little ones sweaters go so much faster then womens!!! Like I said before, I have some cute disney sweater patterns and Carol has the cutest animals!! Ever need an idea, you know where to find us! :)

I finally finished the beret for my MIL, am sewing up the sweater for my DH (the bit I hate!) and am redoing the sleeves for my sweater.

We're going to WDW in December so I've already made a list of things I want to knit as Christmas presents so that I can get them done as early as poss. Well, that's the theory, wish me luck! If you hear of a woman knitting on Big Thunder Mountain you know I didn't get it all done! :wave:

Hi, everyone!

Longtime knitter here. I learned when I was about 7, some 47 years ago. I knit for myself, DH, and two nieces aged 4 and 7. The girls and I just picked out some patterns for them, now have to find the yarn.

The 7-year-old just had her first knitting lesson and is frustrated that it goes so slowly. She is good with her hands. though, so making something for herself is good motivation.

I have a library of knitting books and would love to share patterns with everyone.

I was away from the boards for a week and just found this heavenly thread now!

Knitting has always been my first love, and I've been knitting for 30+ years!!! And I would love to share patterns.

Does anyone here think the sweaters from the 80's were gorgeous? I'm thinking Dynasty, Bill Cosby's sweaters, Bob Newhart's wife's sweaters. I was fortunate enough to work in a yarn store during the 80's. I have a lot of patterns from that era.

I recently bought a Disney Knitting Pattern Book on e-bay, from a very nice lady in England. (The book is now out of print)

I would love to be in the knitting circle.

It's 2 above zero in Wisconsin today. How about if we grab our needles and sit around the fire and chat and click away tonight?
:D :D :D :D :D :D

fantasymagic, You score on many fronts!!! A knitter AND from Wisconsin!!!! One guess where I was born a raised? hehehehe.....

I have the same disney pattern book. Isn't it great!

Well looks like we have ourselves a group! Any thoughts on how to make ourselves a circle?

Linda, I taught my 7 year old (now 8) to knit. She gets a little frusterated by what a slow go it is.

Hi everyone, sorry I've been away. And after today, I'll be away till Sat too - then I'll be back!

Ok, let's get the show on the road! I've just found 6 balls (50 grammes, length 178 metres) of beautiful white cotton I bought years ago and forgot about. It should be enough for a summer top. I'm short-waisted (saves on wool!) and about a size 12. Anyone got any patterns they think would be good?

And is anyone else looking for a pattern? Ask away! :wave:

Thanks for reminding me to come over here. Meant to earlier this week....YES, I need baby pattern ideas!!! DD#1's teacher had a girl in January, DD#2's teacher is due with a baby in March and my next door neighbor is due with her first this summer :eek:

I generally don't like to make the same thing twice....so lots of ideas are needed ladies!!! :)

Poohshoney,

What weight yarn is it? I have a nice pattern for a worsted weight cotton that has vertical panels of alternated stockinette stitch and a lacy pattern.

I'll look out some of my baby patterns - they are English patterns though and some date back to the 40's and 50's - very pretty though. I don't know how yarn is sold in the US or how the needle sizes compare. I'm sure that there must be some sort of comparison chart available though.

Many of my baby patterns are for 2 ply wool (very fine) and take as long to knit as an adult size sweater but they look so pretty and will be nice to pass down through the family.

I have some Summer type patterns knitted in cotton so will look them out too.

It is so nice to see a thread about knitting - a dying art in the UK - my older DD's are just not interested in learning, such a shame.

Hi again!

Jennifer have found if we talk in needle sizes then it works out fine! And we've found out that UK moss stitch is US seed stitch. I think ít's boring in any language! And US stockinette is UK stocking stitch. That's all I've come across so far.

So my wool is 3.5-4 mm. I have a scanner and a fax machine - anyone else looking for anything?

Linda I'd love to see your pattern, please!

Jennifer, I'll look out what I've got for babies too - I'm SO glad this is taking off, it's fun! :wave:

Thanks Thatcats and Carol,

I don't mind something that takes awhile to knit up if it's going to be LOVELY! That I have time to do for my neighbor. I have time with the teacher that is having the boy too. Only thing I should knit up quickly (By the first of March I think) is for the baby girl.

Not to worry about wool weights....exchanging patterns and things with Carol has given me a good feel for what = what. (Carol's right, needle size is a good indicator!)

Just too bad there isn't more interest in the UK. Knitting is a very "in" thing in the states now. Funny thing is...there are no really wonderful wool manufactures here! Everything I use comes form the UK, Canada and Italy!!!

HEeeeeeyyy!!! I didn't know you guys were talking knitting here!!!!!

I know some stitches but have never actually MADE anything like a sweater.

I'm afraid to ask how much knitting is abroad...the local wool shop in town seems forbiddingly expensive! THe different wools , silk/wool, cashmere/silk...really pricey per skein! Sometimes I think it may be cheaper to buy the sweater in the store than by knitting it!:eek:

Maybe there're some cost-cutting websites? Jennifer, Carol anyone...do you buy yarns online?

I want to knit!!!!:bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

JEANNIE!!! You crafty yaya....what are you doing over here?

Glad to see you! If you really want to learn I can give you the poem Paige used to learn!

Yes, actually it is MANY TIMES cheaper to buy a sweater than make it! (especially if you are spoiled and refuse to use anything but natural fibers!)

I do a lot of my shopping online at patternworks.com. They have a great selection and super service. Of course I won't be buying much from their for awhile.....DH just did the bills today and wanted to know why the patternworks bill was as much as his car payment!:eek: :o

Poohshoney,

I have the pattern printed and ready to send you. Would you rather have it as an email attachment or faxed to your machine?

Your yarn may be lighter weight than called for in this pattern. It asks for 4.5mm and 5.0mm needles (US sizes 6 & 8).

Thanks Jennifer...am looking at the patternworks site on another window right now!

I didn't know there was a poem! I think I have the basic idea but if this poem has some hidden secrets I'd love to hear it!:p

I've never attacked a pattern...this is a totally dumb question but how do you guys know what you're getting when you trade patterns? If someone has something to offer, do you all just send images to each other or refer each other to a website where you can see the basic design and then you can decide whether you can use it or not...how does an exchange work?

Sorry long question from someone completely clueless.:crazy:

Linda, Carol is still conserving her online time, but I've sent your message along to her. I just bet she will make her way over her pretty soon ;) :p

Jeannie, PAige is in bed, so I'll get the poem from her room tomorrow!!! :teeth:

Your question about how we exchange patterns is not a dumb one at all. In fact, I'm not sure how our little circle should work myself. Carol and I have been emailing each other small pics of the item in question, then if the other likes it we scan and send the pattern. It's worked quite well.

Anything you want to make to try your hand at this Jeannie? I have some cute quick easy things you could try! :)

:wave: Jeannie.........you do get around!! :teeth:

Hi Jennifer.
I received my birthday present from Carol today :)
The cutest knit cat (and loads of other great things)!!

I'll have to take a picture.

If you are ever in Northampton, MA there is a wonderful shop called Northampton Wools. She has the most beautiful yarns - yes, expensive, but so pretty!

Originally posted by jipsy
If you are ever in Northampton, MA there is a wonderful shop called Northampton Wools. She has the most beautiful yarns - yes, expensive, but so pretty!

I'm going to jot that down. I always seek out new shops when I travel! :teeth:

Yeah! The kitty came....psst Nancy.....That cat was one of the first things Carol and I ever chatted about! Sooooo cute!!! I can't seem to find the picture Carol sent....if you send me one I'll post it. It is great!

Carol sent Nancy!! Toooo Cute! :)

fcb7239c.jpg

fcb7239d.jpg

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter