Any shade gardeners out there?

BeautyLLM

<font color=blue>Beauty'ful!<br><font color=magent
I am re-doing a garden this year that is always in the shade. It currently has hydrangea that never flower and some asters. I would like to replace these with shrubs and maybe a few shade loving perennials. I hesitate to use hostas because of the deer...any suggestions?

Thanks!

Lily of the vally
Bleeding hearts
tiger lillies
ornamental grasses
ferns
oxalis
asiatic lilles

Woody plants for shade:
Amur Maple
Mountain Laurel
Blue Hollies
Japanese Andromeda
Hemlock
Cornelian Cherry
Bayberry
Honeysuckle
Walking Stick
Oakeaf Hydrangea

Perennials:
Violet
Forget-me-nots
Ribbon Grass
Primrose
Star Flower
Sweet Woodruff
Lily-of-the-valley
Daylilies
Ferns
Windflowers
False Indigo

Japanese andromeda and mountain laurel?? Let the gardening begin!!!

How about juniper??

Did anyone say Astilbe.. they do well and also Bridal Wreath does well... I get lots of shade here. and Turtleheads...I love planting ferns too.. but do not know whether deers like those or not..

I didn't know there were so many different shade loving plants. I have <b>no</b> sun on the north side of my house, the only thing I've been able to plant is impatiens in the summer, but they do so <b>well</b> there :)

i gotta write some of these down..i need some plants for the shade in my wooded area..

I just printed this whole thread out for when I go to the Nurseries... Thanks all..

After doing some reading can add a few more to this list

Woody
Eastern redbud
High bush blueberries
Some Rhododendron's
Some yews
Privet
Woodbane
Boxwood
Fringetree Inkberry
Periwinkle
Blackhaw Viburnum

Perennial
Spiny Bear Breeches
Monkshood
Columbine
Perennial Spiraea
Bishops Cap
Christmas Rose
Liriope

I'm going to print this thread! DH and I just moved from an apartment to a house so I'm really excited about starting a small garden. We are surrounded by trees so I need shade loving plants. Wish me luck! :)

Good Luck Skuttle gardening is one of the most rewarding hobbies. You get to sit back and look at nature in it finest, and know that you are the creator of a small piece of the beauty she holds.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter