Any word or any prep work being done for new DVC cabins?

This just sent to me from a Fort Friend that was a long time CM.

"It’s moving day for some cabins!! The start of the project of cabin replacement commenced today! Starting with the 2200 loop which is vacant of guests at the fort!!"

j
I'm hoping to see continued updates on this. 2200 loop is not on my requested cabin list for December. I wonder how long it will take and what loops will be worked on next.

Thank you for providing this information.

"It’s moving day for some cabins!! The start of the project of cabin replacement commenced today! Starting with the 2200 loop which is vacant of guests at the fort!!"

j
So exciting!!!!! I hope we see some pictures of the interior soon! And really hoping I can get one of these during my December stay.

j

I guess I'm being impatient. Since this tidbit came out, I thought somebody would have posted a picture of equipment staging in 2200, pulling cables, disconnecting electrical or just something. So many eyes on the ground and I try to patiently wait for pictures. :oops:

j
Have you heard any updates about this? I spoke with a Fort CM yesterday about a golf cart and he stated the cabins won't be replaced until next summer. I'd love to hear from someone on the ground if the work has actually started. TIA!

License application indicates 363 timeshares to be sold (total cabins 365). Sure hope this means they're going to remove the 2 cabins in 100 loop and convert to RV spaces!

License application indicates 363 timeshares to be sold (total cabins 365). Sure hope this means they're going to remove the 2 cabins in 100 loop and convert to RV spaces!
I have a feeling they won't. Last I remember reading one is used for housekeeping storage and I believe the other one is sometimes used for VIP's and not normally given out to the general public.

I wondering if this will now mean the general public will not be able to book a cabin most times (unless it's not fully booked by DVC) or if they have to file that way to be able to use each cabin as a DVC space even if they don't plan on making all available for DVC inventory? In other words they apply for 365 x 52 weeks but only plan on having say 250 x52 weeks and the others avail for general public. in the future if they wanted to up the DVC avalability then they wouldn't need to reapply for a more cabins?

Actually Stayed in loop 2200 arriving Oct 2 … Last minute trip but cheap thanks to castmember rate . So glad we made the decision before all the new announcements cause I doubt we’ll ever see castmember rate again for a long time .

53E29E49-B67E-4011-B90B-DB0A69FE144C.jpeg

I have a feeling they won't. Last I remember reading one is used for housekeeping storage and I believe the other one is sometimes used for VIP's and not normally given out to the general public.

I wondering if this will now mean the general public will not be able to book a cabin most times (unless it's not fully booked by DVC) or if they have to file that way to be able to use each cabin as a DVC space even if they don't plan on making all available for DVC inventory? In other words they apply for 365 x 52 weeks but only plan on having say 250 x52 weeks and the others avail for general public. in the future if they wanted to up the DVC avalability then they wouldn't need to reapply for a more cabins?
While the Cabins are being sold, Disney will only declare a small number of them into the condominium association and will be able to rent the remainder to the public. After they're sold out, which will take years, Disney by law has to retain ownership of a minimum of 2% of any given resort. In reality, they usually own 5% or more due to unsold units, units taken back due to foreclosure, etc. Also, anytime a DVC owner uses their points for a Disney cruise, Adventures by Disney, hotels that are not DVC (e.g. in Tokyo), or for an exchange into a different timeshare resort, Disney gets DVC villas for those points and rents them to the public. So just like you can book a DVC studio at Poly for cash now, you'll be able to book a Cabin for cash too.

Interesting. Wonder if they'll 'upgrade' the VIP one. I really hope they don't, it'll really throw off the look of the loop. The current cabins are pretty 'understated' and blend in well with the vegetation & other buildings in the area. The new ones look, well, so THERE. I've said before that I like mid-century moderne and I like the look of the new cabins 'on their own', they just don't fit with the western 'vibe'.

The above poster gives more detailed hows and whys, but I assume the availability of cabins for rental to the general public will depend a lot on the popularity of the cabins with DVC members. I expect it'll be 'hot and heavy' with DVCers making reservations (I assume DVC owners with other 'home resorts' have booking rights before us 'regular folk') at first due to the newness of it all but may slack off when they realize that they don't have as many amenities and/or dining choices as the DVCs located within the resort hotel properties. It's a looonnng walk from Ft W to WL versus from Bay Lake to the Contemporary!

The above poster gives more detailed hows and whys, but I assume the availability of cabins for rental to the general public will depend a lot on the popularity of the cabins with DVC members. I expect it'll be 'hot and heavy' with DVCers making reservations (I assume DVC owners with other 'home resorts' have booking rights before us 'regular folk') at first due to the newness of it all but may slack off when they realize that they don't have as many amenities and/or dining choices as the DVCs located within the resort hotel properties. It's a looonnng walk from Ft W to WL versus from Bay Lake to the Contemporary!
Initially, availability will depend on sales - Disney usually declares only enough of a new resort into the condominium to give it a cushion for the next few months of projected sales, so most of the resort remains available for the public to book. For an example, less than 70% of Riviera is declared into the condominium for DVC owners to book; Disney can and does offer the remaining 30% to the general public. It will take several years for the Cabins to sell out, so availability for the "regular folk" won't be that bad. Also, even after a resort sells out, Disney is still an owner and has the same booking rights the rest of us do (11 months from checkin), plus if any villas are not reserved by other owners 60 days prior to checkin, Disney can take them for cash reservations, too.

PS don't assume DVC owners are unfamiliar with the pros and cons of FW - mine is not the only DVC family who has stayed in a Cabin before. Many owners are looking forward to bringing their dogs, too.

PS don't assume DVC owners are unfamiliar with the pros and cons of FW - mine is not the only DVC family who has stayed in a Cabin before. Many owners are looking forward to bringing their dogs, too.
I have a good friend who is DVC and can't wait for this to happen. He loves FW and has stayed in both the camping loops in his RV and the Cabins years ago.

I have a good friend who is DVC and can't wait for this to happen. He loves FW and has stayed in both the camping loops in his RV and the Cabins years ago.
I’m looking forward to it for sure. When we stayed with young kids on our first trip (1994!), we ended up driving most of the time because having to ride the internal bus and then transfer to park transportation was annoying. Now DH and I spend a lot more time at our resort, and being in the woods is a lot more appealing.

2 cabins have been removed from the 2200 loop.
View attachment 805059

View attachment 805060

When we were at the Fort a few months ago several of the cabins on loop 2200 were completely boarded up- there had been one like that for at least two and a half years before this, but it seemed like each time we went they had boarded up another one which was presumably in need of just too much repair, broken windows and missing light fixtures and such. It was like this even before the DVC announcement so I wonder if they have just started taking those cabins away….

Will be interesting to see the Maintenance Fees on these...

Think the Cabins only lasted 25 Years, and not sure how many "updates" they had... only remember one major one. Is it cheaper to include the replacement cost of the "home" over the life of a contract vs the cost of renovations at a normal resort?

We’re staying at the cabins in January. Do you think there’s any chance we might get a new cabin?

Will be interesting to see the Maintenance Fees on these...

Think the Cabins only lasted 25 Years, and not sure how many "updates" they had... only remember one major one. Is it cheaper to include the replacement cost of the "home" over the life of a contract vs the cost of renovations at a normal resort?

Your post makes me wonder, @Scalemaster34 , if the following scenario might happen:

- DVC Cabins go into service in 2024.
- Per IRS rules, "manufactured housing" has a depreciation life of 27.5 years (mid-point of 25-30 yrs).
- Does that mean the maximum life of a DVC contract will extend roughly 25 years beyond 2024? (or even for 27.5 years)?
- Meaning points contracts might expire in 2049/2052?
- OKW went active in 1991 and earliest expiration is 2042 for a length of 51 years?
- I would assume the DVC cabins will have to be replaced again about 2049
- Or can DVC replace the cabins one more time for a total contract length of 50 years?
- I understand updates being done on a resort can be done mid-contract but a total "rebuild"? (removal and replacement with a new cabin?). The buildings are essentially brand new again and not simply "updated".

Makes me wonder, anyway.

Bama Ed

PS - personally I think Disney will build behind Pioneer Hall a DVC property (or part resort/part DVC) and many amenities for DVC cabins will be over there. Just IMO.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter