Anybody else have a teen going off to college in August, 2009?

I'm not in this class, but wanted to pop in.

My DD is already back at school but having a *really* rough time, not grade-wise (1st semester's were great). I wish there were something I could do to help.

agnes!

Good wishes to everyone's kids!

I lowered the boom on my daughter today. She made some pretty bad grades last semester, 1 A, 2 D's and 2 F's. Told her that if she didn't pass all of her classes this coming semester, she would be moving home.

And another update on DS#1..

he left for Ethopia yesterday..yes Ethopia..had 6 others from the class stay at our house..gotta say i am not used to a house full of kids anymore..( how easily i forget.LOL)

i am not gonna think about all the bad things that can happen..just hope he has a Great time, does well in the class..( fingers crossed)

still thinking about military..or peacecorp..I feel that Ethopia will give him some prospective on what the peacecorp does..

so to cope with him being gone and not to obsess to much..i am going on a MR cruise..:thumbsup2

Wow!!!! Ethiopia!!! I think Africa is the only place my DD doesn't want to go. Wait...I lied....she does want to go to South Africa after talking to some of the CM's at Animal Kingdom! She wants to live in Italy...of all the places she's been she says she feels "at home" in Italy.

Have fun on your cruise!!

DS had a friend who went to Ethiopia with his school. He worked in a hotel training hotel employees how to be a barista! I guess they are building more modern hotels and need Americans to train workers. Anyway he had a great time. He is a kid that has been all over the world doing mission work.

I am sorry so many kids are having a rough time this year.

I HOPE we are on a new track. He was only home for a couple of days this break because he got a new job that he had to be back for. He is off academic probation finally, had declared a major and seems to be a little more focused on school. The job should help too, less time to party. Prays to all this semester!

I am reading of those whose kids are having some rough patches. I am glad to say middle ds is one of them too.

He has struggled since he got there. I think at first some of it had to do with me having cancer and all that went along with that all his freshman year etc.

Right now he has a 2.97 gpa. He seems to just go through the motions I atutally did hear a recorded lecture from one of his professors. The guy had such a really bad accent. I dont know how anyone understood him.

I dont even know what kind of job ds would get with this degree etc. His grades are not even good enough where he could do some internship work etc.

He lives at home and doesnt even have a part time job so he would have lots of time to study and pull up his grades etc.

I just hope he gets a little more motivated etc.

Wishing everyones kids all the best.

I am glad to see everyone's updates. I don't feel so "alone.":goodvibes

As everyone might remember, my DD went to WVU in Fall 2009. She got put on probation after her first semester. Second semester was just as bad so she was suspended in the Spring 2010. Her GPA was just below 2.0. 2.0 was required for her stay in. She had a lot of "various" issues that contributed to the poor grades:

First and foremast, she's never been a strong student but she can get decent grades if she puts for the effort.

Two: Snowmaggedon came and she could not get to English class all week because the school's main transportation to the other campus was down and the busses were running but unreliable. The English department has a policy that you cannot miss more than two classes a semester so she had to withdraw from one course she was doing well in.

Three: Too much partying.

Four: Missing out on extra assignments that would have helped when her test grades weren't that good.

Five: Not expecting the courses to be as hard as they were.

Six: Having a biology professor that she could absolutlely NOT understand due to her accent.

So, it was a bad year.

She came home and went to community college for a year and pulled at least a 3.0 GPA. She hated community college, said it was much easier than the 4 year university and didn't have to crack a book to get those grades.

WVU readmitted her in the FALL 2011 with the condition that she get a 2.25. I could tell from talking to her that she had really ramped things up and she seemed to be doing better. She had a couple of "slips" in that she got sick one day, missed a psychology class and missed an in-class assignment and they wouldn't let her make it up. She then had a few bad test scores. She missed an A in one class by ONE point, missed a B in another by 5 points. I then pointed out the NEED to do every extra credit assignment allowed.

Bottom line, she got a 2.15 GPA. The school decided that she could come back but she is, yet again, on probation, we sucks because they won't finalize any transfer of credits from community college, and they won't let her take ANY other courses that she might like but aren't directly tied to her major.

It's been a tough few years...

I don't feel so alone, reading about everyone's struggles. DD, in her 3rd year, has decided to change her major as she was really struggling with her favorite subjects, math and science. Her school has her on academic warning, and she's hoping that the change in major and new classes will get her motivated again. We have at least 3 years ahead of us to get her to graduation. She's had a lot of hurdles over the past two years, but I am hopeful she's in a good mind space going back this semester and can end her 3rd year with some better grades. It pains me to see her struggle so much when I know how capable she is, as does she, but it's just a really tough school, and she never had to study in high school.

I haven't posted in quite a while. Things have been super busy here.

First, to all of you who are struggling with your kids: :hug:. I think I will probably be in the same spot with my younger DD. She is only a junior in HS now, but unless what she is doing is related to theatre, we're in trouble. :scared1: I wish I could find her a conservatory type school where she could primarily focus on theatre and not all the other subjects. I really don't know what will end up happening with her. My thoughts are with all of you as your kids go through the process of defining themselves.

A little happy news: Carrielee is at home packing for the move! On Wednesday, she and I will leave for WDW. We're having a few days on our own before she checks in to the program!! She is so excited and seems to have found her calling in life. She has been so much happier since she switched schools and majors. Now, on to the fun of being a Disney employee for a while!

This has pretty much been the scene at my house this Winter Break Lol!!! It's good for her though since she was having anxiety attacks due to stress at the end of the semester. She just mostly overworks herself and does too much...so it's nice to see her come home and rest!!

IMG_0126.jpg

Can you believe they are almost done with junior year????? Wow! How did that happen? My second daughter is going to graduate from HS this June. At least this time around, we know what to do! :goodvibes

How's everyone doing?

Can you believe they are almost done with junior year????? Wow! How did that happen? My second daughter is going to graduate from HS this June. At least this time around, we know what to do! :goodvibes

How's everyone doing?

Mine's actually finishing her Senior yr (1 yr early) and it's hard to believe that she is off looking for a job, has her own apt and getting ready to turn 21....I was never this together at that age. Wondering how I managed to raise such a Type A child...LOL

I also have a Senior this year and I do know what to do and to expect!!

Hello All! Havent posted here in a long time! DD doing well, finishing up junior year in mid-May, staying in same apt next year and landlord will allow them to leave their stuff for a $100 fee! That will save us a lot of time as she is 5+ hrs away! I may not even have to go up this year! Ya-hooooooooooooo!!)

She may take a summer class to lighten her load a little for next year; her nutruition classes have been tough and she is very active in Sigma Kappa. She has her ligeguarding job lined up for this summer. So hard to believe they will be seniors next year!

Hello All! Havent posted here in a long time! DD doing well, finishing up junior year in mid-May, staying in same apt next year and landlord will allow them to leave their stuff for a $100 fee! That will save us a lot of time as she is 5+ hrs away! I may not even have to go up this year! Ya-hooooooooooooo!!)

She may take a summer class to lighten her load a little for next year; her nutruition classes have been tough and she is very active in Sigma Kappa. She has her ligeguarding job lined up for this summer. So hard to believe they will be seniors next year!

It's good to hear everything is going okay and your DD is graduating from college next year. It will probably be two to three more years for my daughter. On top of that, she is having health issues. It's probably asthma but she is on a heart monitor for the next 24 hours just to make sure.

On a brighter note, our son is graduating from college next month. Yahoo!!:banana:

Susan--I hope everything goes ok w/the hr monitor.

Love seeing the updates.

My DS is doing well. It has been an interesting year and a little stressful, but we are coming out of it pretty well. DS has an internship with the attorney general this summer and a part time job at the Office of Student Conduct. He is moving again, but it really is for the best.:thumbsup2 There were a lot of issues this year.

He has decided to apply to stay at school for an extra year and get a graduate degree in comp sci and then go to law school. We are all pretty happy with this plan.

For all you folks getting ready to be empty nesters--it is survivable. I still worry when I haven't hear from him in a while--I mean he is 500 miles away--but all in all this has been a good experience for all of us.:goodvibes

Hi .:wave:

Been crazy here too.. Geoff is graduating on June 2..yes this year.. he is graduating a year early.. and is 21..so who knows:confused3 .. applied to lots of things but nothing definate yet..
he has looked into peace corp, americorp, US government, military, etc...

After graduation, he is going to Des Moines to work at the BSA summer camp there..and after that?? :confused3

Kirby- how are things going with the heart monitor??

Rose - I just really saw your link.. it is funny ( not Ha Ha but strange) as I went Gluten Free 2 months ago..( cue the small world music)..
my blog about it is at http://geffric-myglutenfreejourney....-i-got-started-and-what-is-next.html?spref=fb

geffric--I read a statistic that up to 30% of the population may have a problem with gluten. I hope going gluten free helps. There is an independent lab that does tests for gluten intolerance if you are interested. I think I was just not sick enough to test positive on the c-d blood test. Which is not uncommon. I feel much, much better since going g-f but it is not always fun. If you want, let me know and I will send you my last name for fb.

Congrats on your DS graduating early. Tom is a "super senior" (could have finished early) but we encouraged him to stay. He wont' be 21 until late July. I think for him it was the right decision.

I can't remember--where did your other son end up?

thanks Rose..I do feel much better.. you can link to me on facebook..i think my real name is in the blog..

Eric ( DS#2) went to U of Ill - Champaign. Loves it..
he is gonna graduate in 3 years too.. wants to make his mark..and save money..he has a gf from freshman year in HS.. she is also at U of I..I expect him to marry her went she graduates..

Geoff will be a free spirit for a while..he really wants to travel and would love to go back to Africia.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter