Anyone been with Fibromyalgia?

Hello there! I'm afraid I've not read all the replies to this post yet, but wanted to chime in. I'm a fellow Fibromite, and have done Disney a lot of times, though the 2 most recent trips (one to WDW, one to DLR for a day) were the only ones with fully developed Fibro.

I would strongly recommend you use an ECV or wheelchair to get around. This will allow you to tour with less pain and fatigue, and mean you can enjoy the holiday, rather than just survive it. Though an ECV is a bit more expensive to rent, it will also allow you to get around by yourself; even if you're used to pushing a wheelchair yourself, it would be blooming tiring to push yourself around with Fibro-arms. Details of off-site rental places can be found in the disABILITIES FAQ.

Plan to take your time fairly gently. If you're better in the morning, aim to start early, then return to the hotel for the afternoon; if you're better in the afternoon, get a gentle start to the day at the hotel, then go exploring the parks in the afternoon. If the rest of your family want to spend more time in the parks, they can always do the rides you're not so keen on (if such things exist;)) without you, then you can tour together when you're up to it.

You probably won't be able to see and do everything there is in Disney, but I doubt even a commando tourist could see everything. Plan in advance which attractions are most important to you, and whether there are any parades or night-time shows you want to see. I wouldn't recommend you plan too rigidly, as Fibro doesn't tend to behave itself, and keep to a nice schedule, in my experience. However, if you list out, before you go, which attractions are 'must dos', which parades / night-time shows are on when (not every show or parade is on every night), opening and closing times, and which parks have Extra Magic Hours or special events on during your stay. Doing this will hopefully allow you to do what you can, on a day to day basis, without missing anything you desperately want to do. You might not want to make too many ADRs, as these will tie you to being in a certain place, at a certain time.

I've actually found that the pain and fatigue are reduced at Disney, between the sunshine, the distractions and the happy vibes :goodvibes! You may find that you can do more than normal while you're there, but still remember to pace yourself; this is a marathon, not a sprint! If you need to have a break whilst at the parks, it's rather nice to settle yourself in one of the cafes or on a bench, with an ice cream, and just watch the world go by. If you need a lie down, you can use the cots in the first aid rooms.

Swimming can really help to loosen me up for the day. If this also works for you, you might want to try and hit the hotel pool fairly regularly. Most of them will also have a hot-tub, which is glorious on Fibro pain. Just be careful not to over-do it, and sap all your strength for the rest of the day; even if you just float in the water and do a few gentle stretches, it should relieve some tension and pain.

I don't know what your budget is like, but there are a couple of spas on Disney property, that can do massages. I've never had the money to go for one of these, so I've no idea what they're like, but if you can afford it without sacrificing something else from the trip, it might be good to help you unwind half way through the trip. Otherwise, you could just ask your hubby for a back-rub ;)

If your Fibro has any foods that it doesn't like, Disney is very good at helping you avoid them. For me, sugar is a big trigger, but WDW was wonderful for having sugar-free treats. Pretty much all of the ice-cream parlours (the shops, rather than the carts) have a sugar-free ice cream (the pecan flavoured ice-cream was delicious), and most of the restaurants will be able to provide sugar-free desserts. If dairy or gluten gives you problems, which I know it does some Fibromites, you can get special meals prepared, though you may have to phone ahead, I don't know.

Well, there's a whole information over-load for you! I'm afraid I'm in a bit of a brain-fog today (not too bad, as you can see from the fact that I can form sentances, but enough that I may have written some garbled sentences), so hopefully you can understand it all (if you're in a brain-fog too, we may have some problems :rotfl:). I hope some of this helps!

Have a great trip! :thumbsup2

I just wanted to add, for all of you Fibromites, there is a lot your doctor can do to help make life easier on you. I'm on Amytriptaline (however you spell it) and Flueoxitin (again, dyslexia-fibro combo, making for interesting spellings), and they, along with the wheelchair, have given me my life back. I'm not back to the way I was before the Fibro, but am doing a heck of a lot better than I was before the meds. It can be hard to find the right meds, and sometimes takes a fair bit of trial and improvement, but it can make a huge difference to your quality of life.

Fairy dust and hugs to all of you! :hug:

I'm on Amytriptaline (however you spell it) and Flueoxitin (again, dyslexia-fibro combo, making for interesting spellings), and they, along with the wheelchair, have given me my life back.
Here you go:
Amitriptyline
and Fluoxetine

This thread has a lot of good hints in it and I think it's ready to post a link to it in the disABILITIES FAQs thread.
Thanks to everyone for their good hints.:grouphug: :wizard:

Just as an alternative view, I find that ADR's are really helpful. They give me a framework to plan my day around, esp. when I don't have an ECV, and allow good rest periods during the meal. I just plan our touring to pass where the ADR is at about the right time (I hope that makes sense.) For instance, last trip we planned an Epcot day w/ wanting lunch at Morocco CS and an ADR for Canada. We did the right side of FW first, keeping the kids busy in innoventions until about 11:45 then went to the dock to get the boat to Morocco. Then slowly headed back while watching all the performers, etc. (thanks Steve Soares) and got to Canada at the right time for our 5:30 ADR at Le Cellier. So I minimized walking and "rushing". HIH

Just as an alternative view, I find that ADR's are really helpful. They give me a framework to plan my day around, esp. when I don't have an ECV, and allow good rest periods during the meal. I just plan our touring to pass where the ADR is at about the right time (I hope that makes sense.) For instance, last trip we planned an Epcot day w/ wanting lunch at Morocco CS and an ADR for Canada. We did the right side of FW first, keeping the kids busy in innoventions until about 11:45 then went to the dock to get the boat to Morocco. Then slowly headed back while watching all the performers, etc. (thanks Steve Soares) and got to Canada at the right time for our 5:30 ADR at Le Cellier. So I minimized walking and "rushing". HIH

Ooh, that's a good alternative perspective! Thank you! I guess that my touring style has grown out of my family trips when I was little. When my sister and I were kids, it was a lot easier for us to explore the parks with no timetable and eat at CS places when we were hungry. I've probably just adapted that style of touring to suit the older (though not more grown up ;)) me, then adapted again to fit around the Fibro. I guess the best piece of advice is to tour however you feel most comfortable, take things at a gentle pace, and be prepared to change plans if you have to.

I just wanted to give an example on the theme of being prepared to change plans, as necessary. When the fella and I went to WDW a few years back, we spent the first day in MK, exploring the Adventureland, Frontierland and Tom's Island. This was the summer just before the Fibro really started kicking me, so I didn't know so much about pacing myself. Anyway, being out in the sun so long, and being on the go for the whole day really caught up with me the next day. I was feeling weak and sick, so in the end we bailed out of EPCOT and headed back to the hotel. A few hours in the air-con watching the Disney channel put me back on my feet, and we managed to get back out that evening, but if I hadn't taken the time off when I needed it, I would have knocked myself out for the next few days (which you really don't want when you 'only' have 10 days for your holiday! :rotfl:). Basically, look after yourself, and listen to your body! :thumbsup2

I have fibro and CFS. I used a scooter, last March, for the first time at WDW. DH really wasn't happy about it at first. He thought I was "giving up". I wanted to have a good time with my DGDs. I know my limitations. I wouldn't have made it through the week without the scooter. I really didn't care what people thought. I also loaded up on B-12 and soaked in epsom salt every night.

Family members and friends don't understand... you can feel good one day and be in the bed the next. Traveling is very difficult on most fibro patients. I have a very hard time. It hurts to sit for hours....whether it's in a car or a plane.

Even being on a scooter takes a toll . . . . I know for me that having to be super-aware of what's going on (to avoid hitting someone or something) can be mentally exhausting. I was at DLR the last two days and got home last night--I am now aching all over. And tired tired tired. But I wouldn't have been able to do as much as I did do without the ECV! So I'm thankful that Disney allows them.

I was just diganosed with it and I have been on meds for it and i am living a prefectly good life and yes I know meds are expensive however I just use samples from my doctor and it works just as well

Turns out that my doctor now believes that I don't have fibro but the early stages of RA.

I was just diganosed with it and I have been on meds for it and i am living a prefectly good life and yes I know meds are expensive however I just use samples from my doctor and it works just as well

Hopefully the meds will continue to work for you for a long time.

I was diagnosed with fibro about 10 years ago. Over the past few months, the pain has become more intense and more frequent. I consider myself to be very fortunate. There are those with fibro that are in much worse condition and I pray that my fibro does not escalate to that point.

You are also very fortunate that you are given sample meds, and I am fortunate that I have drug coverage through my medical insurance; but others are not so fortunate.

Take care.

iuki

I was diagnosed with Fibromyalgia 18+ years ago (I am now 53). Before fibro, I led a very productive life, working 40+ hrs. per week, attending night-time college classses, being a wife, and a mother to our son. We enjoyed many weekends at the beach and the lake. I'm mentioning this because fibro drasticallly changed my lifestyle. I had to give up most of the activities that I'd always loved, including my career, and found myself having to retire at age 48 in 2003. (It took 4 years to get my disability approved through SSA). I have periods that are worse than others so I struggled through many trips to WDW, deciding not to use an ECV. I did not want this to defeat me! However, because of what I call stupidity, I suffered a lot. On our last trip to Disney, and our first with grandchildren, I decided to use an ECV for those days when I was struggling and found it to be a trip saver! The ECV enabled me to experience every minute of our trip and meant that my family did not have to worry about me overdoing it. In fact, at days end on some days, I may have been in better shape than some of them! I encourage you to get an ECV if at all possible. Because of fibro, you probably already find yourself giving up many things. Don't let your trip to WDW be one of those things.

thanks for all of your help and I have been seens the dignoses and I was fine with out a wheel chair but once again I am very fortenate to be on meds becuse with out them I would be stuck in bed or walking around like a old women at the age of 23

My mi has fibro, RA, and a few other health problems. She had never really travelled until this year when we asked her to join us with my fil to WDW. They had a great time, but I know we might have been going at a faster pace then they were used to. I asked then before we left what they wanted in the way of stops there and back they said they would follow us. We stopped a few extra times for my MIL as I knew she would not speak up if she had to stop. She really enjoyed the time with her grandkids. She used an electric cart. We are soo thankful that they both came with us and had a great time.

I wonder if it would be just as effective to bring advil and when I hurt stop for a meal or a show waiting for it to take place

I wonder if it would be just as effective to bring advil and when I hurt stop for a meal or a show waiting for it to take place

No, it would not work.

Basically a person has a certain amount of energy available to them daily. If they relax during the day the amount of energy available will increase; when they sleep at night they recharge their system,

However, when in pain energy is used up much faster than in normal conditions. If you become exhausted, with by what you have done or, more importantly, what you have done while in pain your system will not recharge to the original energy level overnight and you are starting the next day with a lower amount of energy available.

Once around the World Showcase Lagoon Promenade is more than 1¼ miles; most people tend to average 8 - 12 miles per day at WDW.

A good friend of mine suffers from Fibro ...
I made sure to give my friend a massage in the evening to help her relax the soreness and small back rubs and things when sitting at shows and stuff in the parks. ...

Nice! I need to find a way to convince my DW to do this!

No, it would not work.

Actually, it might work. Fibro can be different from other pain syndromes and is different for every person.

I've found that taking a shorter (1hr-ish) break at an air-conditioned CS place in the parks is much better for my Fibro than returning to the room for a nap. In order for a nap to really refresh my body and get it ready to go again I need about 5-6 hours of sleep. (A shorter rest just makes me feel worse.) However, an hour of sitting, resting and cooling my body temperature can do more than a 2 hour nap.

Having had Fibro my whole life, I'm pretty good at powering through anything and could do back-to-back commando touring without collapse. But, I enjoy disney better when I think through my plan in advance.

I find that one of the following two plans works best for me:
- On alternating days we go commando in the parks or sleep-in and hang out at the resort.
OR
- We hit rope-drop, have a plan for lunch that includes getting a break and then call it a day sometime in the afternoon (either right after lunch, or, a couple of hours later)

I was diagnosed with Fibro several years ago (at the age of 26), and have been to WDW twice since the diagnosis. I have found I usually do ok the first and second day (probably due to the adrenaline), but start to crash on day 3. My husband and I have learned to plan a much longer trip (10-11) days, and go to the parks 2-days-on and 1-day-off...making sure that the day off doesn't involve too much strenuous activity. I also make all of my lunch and dinner reservations ahead of time, typically at a sit-down restaurant...which forces me to take a 1-2 hour break in the middle of each day at the park. I also pack a pair of Miracle Balls (you can buy them on Amazon.com), and use those to stretch out sore muscles at night. I still notice that I get weakness in my legs (in addition to the achiness) off-and-on towards the end of the trip, and I have to sit out a ride or two. However, overall, I have been able to work through the pain in order to enjoy the happiest place on earth! Don't let this stop you from going and having fun!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter