Anyone but me seem to think its Silly to blame Vloggers/Magic Key Holders for issues at the Park?

I'm going to say something that is probably controversial but...

I'm annoyed by people that come every day or almost every day and take up key places of the park. Like the elderly gentleman wearing all LA Dodgers gear who sits on Main Street everyday and takes up the bench on the porch. I have always wanted to be able to grab a coffee and sit there in the morning to people watch during a slow day of vacation but it is always taken up by this gentleman and his fans. I get there early, he is there. I get there late, he is there.

IDK, first world problem but it would be nice to be able to have a chance to use that area. It reminds me of the pin traders taking up the benches in Frontierland.

I'm annoyed by people that come every day or almost every day and take up key places of the park. Like the elderly gentleman wearing all LA Dodgers gear who sits on Main Street everyday and takes up the bench on the porch. I have always wanted to be able to grab a coffee and sit there in the morning to people watch during a slow day of vacation but it is always taken up by this gentleman and his fans. I get there early, he is there. I get there late, he is there.

IDK, first world problem but it would be nice to be able to have a chance to use that area. It reminds me of the pin traders taking up the benches in Frontierland.

No flaming from me, I totally agree, and its a breath of fresh air to see someone has the same thoughts as me. I travel half way around the world , from Europe, and have limited park time.

I agree with this and it goes to my "people who think that they own the place" comments. Disneyland especially is prone to this. I mean, it's great that some people come every day, but you could at least change up the routine if you're just going to sit in one place. Let some others have a shot at it.

Last edited:
It was. A single person would grab two benches and cover them with boards or binders of pins to trade. They were frequently by the entrance to Frontierland.
They are still at the entrance to Frontierland. They are standing at tables rather than sitting on the benches.

I understand what you are saying about the porch potatoes but it is possible to beat them to their location, even if they rope drop too. I travel to Disneyland from Wisconsin so I'm not a local at all, but I have gotten there at rope drop and been able to get a chair and relax on the porch many times. I just went this past week and was at Disneyland's opening three times and each time there was space on the porch as I walked by, unfortunately the person I was with didn't want to relax on the porch. But one day in the afternoon we even watched the Magic Happens parade from the porch. I would say if you want to relax with coffee on the porch, stop at Starbucks or wherever you get your coffee from before entering the park and be there at rope drop.

I understand what you are saying about the porch potatoes but it is possible to beat them to their location, even if they rope drop too. I travel to Disneyland from Wisconsin so I'm not a local at all, but I have gotten there at rope drop and been able to get a chair and relax on the porch many times. I just went this past week and was at Disneyland's opening three times and each time there was space on the porch as I walked by, unfortunately the person I was with didn't want to relax on the porch. But one day in the afternoon we even watched the Magic Happens parade from the porch. I would say if you want to relax with coffee on the porch, stop at Starbucks or wherever you get your coffee from before entering the park and be there at rope drop.
Interesting, maybe he isn't there as frequently as before? When we went in October, December, and January (multiple days each time) he was there even early in the morning about 5-ish or so minutes after they start allowing people in the gates by the time I got there. I tried about an hour after park opening a few days and they were all up there still. I wouldn't mind just him since there are a few chairs up there, but since he has gained a following there seems to be a lot of people that hang out there now with him.

Also from out-of-state, so maybe I've just been unlucky. I'll try again when we're there later this year. I would feel awkward if I got there early and then they come up expecting it, though. It will probably just be the elusive porch for awhile lol

I was there recently and Frank (the referenced porch potato) was sitting on the bench. We went up and sat down with him and had a lovely conversation. He's old, retired, and his favorite thing in the world is to sit on Walt's bench every morning. I get that it's annoying to others who would love to sit there, but he loves company so if you are ok with it, you could sit with him. He's pretty entertaining! There is also a rocking chair up there and the steps to sit on. It's his routine and he is both beloved and resented. He arrives at opening and leaves after a few hours, so he isn't there all day.

The more annoying thing to me was the guy that ran over and stashed a bunch of popcorn buckets near us then ran back to buy more--obviously a reseller.

I used to be annoyed by the clapper and various other quirky individuals I've met over the years, but then I figured that if that makes those old guys happy and it isn't hurting anyone, I shouldn't let it irk me too much. There used to be a guy in a scooter who came every day. His daughter bought him an annual pass every year. He'd always buy a cup of coffee first thing and they even had a register key for him to get his free coffee. I can't remember now why he was granted a daily free coffee by DLR but I thought it was sweet. All he wanted was just a plain black coffee.

I was there recently and Frank (the referenced porch potato) was sitting on the bench. We went up and sat down with him and had a lovely conversation. He's old, retired, and his favorite thing in the world is to sit on Walt's bench every morning. I get that it's annoying to others who would love to sit there, but he loves company so if you are ok with it, you could sit with him. He's pretty entertaining! There is also a rocking chair up there and the steps to sit on. It's his routine and he is both beloved and resented. He arrives at opening and leaves after a few hours, so he isn't there all day.

The more annoying thing to me was the guy that ran over and stashed a bunch of popcorn buckets near us then ran back to buy more--obviously a reseller.

I used to be annoyed by the clapper and various other quirky individuals I've met over the years, but then I figured that if that makes those old guys happy and it isn't hurting anyone, I shouldn't let it irk me too much. There used to be a guy in a scooter who came every day. His daughter bought him an annual pass every year. He'd always buy a cup of coffee first thing and they even had a register key for him to get his free coffee. I can't remember now why he was granted a daily free coffee by DLR but I thought it was sweet. All he wanted was just a plain black coffee.

I've had some conversations with Frank too and he is a nice guy. The clapper is Peter Tu, and he was there last Sunday. It was nice to see him as I think he is either in his late 80's or early 90's, he is always happy to be at Disneyland. I hope I'm that mobile in my old age to enjoy Disneyland!

What's the story of "the clapper?"

Oh...resellers are the worst!

We were just there and the guy was on the porch every time we went in at rope drop. One morning we were there at 7:20 and he was already there.

We have met Peter before! He was very sweet ☺️

I got curious and looked at his Instagram. I guess I didn't realize this has been a thing with "his porch" (what he calls it on Instagram) since at least early 2017, seems like the following didn't grow until after the pandemic closure? I didn't recall the porch always being occupied until DL reopened.

Does anyone remember the Disneyland "gangs"? They would show up and wear biker-esque outfits with patches on them. It just reminds me a lot of that. I feel like such a grouch, but it honestly is frustrating to have one part of the park only usable by a single influencer. I don't really care about other vloggers or influencers, because they usually walk around and don't occupy a single area for long periods. With the porch, it's kind of a monopoly on who gets to use it when he/they show up early and stay long periods. I just wish other people had a chance to use that area of the park.

Is his Instagram "porch potato"? If so, I don't see where he called it his porch.

It was always funny to hear the clapping getting closer and closer, we knew Peter was around somewhere lol!
I hope to get to see him in person someday. I always look for him. But alas…
Is his Instagram "porch potato"? If so, I don't see where he called it his porch.
I hate to be so oblivious but where is the porch we are talking about? I remember a little alcove on Main Street but I only remember seeing a rocking chair there. I must be too focused on getting to…somewhere..prolly beignets :rotfl2:

Since I will be going end of April, I’m going to look for him.

I hope to get to see him in person someday. I always look for him. But alas…

I hate to be so oblivious but where is the porch we are talking about? I remember a little alcove on Main Street but I only remember seeing a rocking chair there. I must be too focused on getting to…somewhere..prolly beignets :rotfl2:

Since I will be going end of April, I’m going to look for him.
That's probably the porch.

1711159042453.png

Oh, thanks..yeah I know it now…that’s the place I was thinking of, just didn’t realize there was a bench. There are ALWAYS people there when I go by.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter