Anyone Christmas shopping yet... continued...

Hi Christmas Shoppers,
I just found a pretty good deal for The Body Shop. They are running a 1/2 off special on their "Seasonal Favorites" there is a code floating around that can get an extra 10% off plus free shipping. Body Shop has some cute holiday bath bombs for $1.00. A couple of these would make those stockings a little fuller. The discount code ends 11/9/18.

And the shipping nightmares begin - UPS seems to have it out for me this year:
- I had a next day shipping package due to arrive Monday via UPS, that I really needed. Hence paying for next day shipping. Well, it took me 8 phone calls and a "formal complaint" to finally get it delivered on Wednesday. I won't bother with details, but I'll just say UPS made at least 5 different unforced errors over those 3 days. When I finally got a hold of a Customer Support Supervisor who actually cared about it and didn't just want to brush me off yet again, he was appalled at the whole mess - he's the one that filed the formal complaint after hearing all the things that had happened, I didn't ask for it. He took charge finally and got it all fixed. He even made the local depot manager call to apologize directly to me. I think that one supervisor saved my faith in humanity :)
- Now, just 2 days later, a package that UPS handed off to USPS for delivery has gone missing. USPS says they never got it, UPS said they gave it to them. Let's just say I believe USPS. Unlike a lot of people, I have a great local post office and mail carrier. But UPS? See the first bullet for just how bad they are in my area.

I probably need to stop shopping online until after Christmas at this point because I am going to go insane if I have to deal with much more of this kind of thing...but then there's that whole Kohl's Veterans Day sale.....maybe I'll see just how much I can pick up in store instead of having shipped! I'd rather pay the gas than put up with all the lost time on the phone when deliveries go bad...

Last edited:
@MomToOne Ugh what a mess! I'm sorry to hear you're already having difficulties. A makeup company I really love but is online only runs a wonderful sale the day after Christmas each year. in both 2015 and 2016 I ordered makeup, and in both 2015 and 2016 UPS lost my package. The company was wonderful enough to replace both orders, but honestly I didn't order in 2017 because I feared if UPS lost it again I'd be too embarrassed to go back to the company a third time!

I think I've got two more things coming and I'm pretty sure both USPS, but I'm just gritting my teeth until they get here...

I’m sorry about your shipping woes MomToOne. It’s been crazy recently and something I’ve been concerned about. However, yesterday DD and I both made several orders with projected arrivals for Monday. We both got updates they’d be here Saturday and they all showed up TODAY. Different companies and none of them Amazon. I was pretty impressed though it could have been bad since I didn’t realize I had two iPads sitting on my porch for a couple hours.

Hi Everyone,
It Looks like Shutterfly is running another Freebie special this weekend. You can get up to 3 gifts for free. They do charge shipping. I've always received orders through USPS so no problems there. Anyways the gifts this time are an easel back canvas, a slim phone case and a wicked cute pet bandana. Last weeks offer you could only order 1 of each for a total of 3 items. The code is
GETGIVING

I bought my first two gifts this weekend, using 25% off a toy coupons from Target. And I paid with GC's that I got from Staples with a 10% back AMEX offer. I got the LOL Surprise Bigger Surprise for DD5 (listed at $79.99, I paid $56.28 when you figure in the discounted GC). Then I used the second 25% off coupon on a big Play-Doh set for both my kids to share (listed at $21.49, I paid $15.38). The other bigger-ticket items I want for the kids, video games & LEGO, were both excluded from the coupons so I figured saving $6 on a Play-Doh set was better than not using the coupon at all.

OP here...

Hi everyone... I just got back from Gatlinburg, Pigeon Forge and Sevieriville, in Tennessee, it was a girls trip... and we shopped like crazy.

On the way up we stopped along several of the like way side antique mall... and I hit a great deal on a large ceramic turkey for my dining table... and he's just beautiful for 35.00 plus 20% off... Tom Turkey was my first deal of our trip. One of the others picked up some older glass ornaments that she collects for next to nothing...

We did the touristy areas, and did score some things on the new " Island" complex in Pigeon Forge. Hit the artist loop and I got some really cute fridge magnets - wood with live edge with some super cute saying for a dollar each great stocking stuffing.

Hit the newer outlet mall in Sevierville, Tanger nice mall, but no real deals to be had, Trip to the Apple barn, picked up some apple butter, and apple tea bags, and apple fritter, and muffin mix all for gifts. You can shop on line here now... Which I thought was really great...

Then we left the tourist areas, and went to the local stores, Hobby Lobby, Tuesday Morning, Old time Pottery, Burkes outlet, TJ maxx... It was a shopping extravaganza.... I personally did the best at Tuesday Morning, and Hobby Lobby.... The Tuesday Morning was just stuffed with really cool items for stocking stuffers, I picked up 2 decorative gift boxes for my niece, a bunch of different types of tea for my mom, as well as Hostess gifts. A star Wars battleship game for my SIL for a fun gift, and well as a star wars coffee mug from the last movie. They had a wonderful supply of kids books so I picked up several for to add into gifts, for the grand kids, and grand niece's. The kitchen tools section was being reworked but I did pickup a tiny whisk for DD with a monkey on it to cute, and a couple of grill items for DH for his stocking. Thanksgiving napkins, and fall napkins for everyday, and a few more items that I can't even remember. I had a cart full of items... and it was only like 56.00 dollars... Hobby Lobby all Thanksgiving and Christmas was 50 % off... I found so many items that my local hobby lobby did not have. I did really good for some new items for my trees, and table decorations. As well one friend scored a loom package which she had been looking for a while, her daughter is a special needs adult and she use one at school but it's not always available for her to use during crafts, so we found a package of 4 different sizes and I had a 40% percent off coupon for her to use. Old Time Pottery was jam packed... but really nothing that I just had to buy. TJ Max... I only picked up one item that I wanted.. Others did pretty good, on heavier sweaters, and such...

Still got more to do...

Okay all. You helped me with figuring out what to get my cousin's husband but now I need help again!

I need a toy or game idea for my nephews. One is 5 and the other 7. I would like to get it to under $25 each or a total of $50 if I get them a shared gift (which I do not mind at all). I already have their ornaments and books for each. I like to keep it fun but educational as well if at all possible.

Okay all. You helped me with figuring out what to get my cousin's husband but now I need help again!

I need a toy or game idea for my nephews. One is 5 and the other 7. I would like to get it to under $25 each or a total of $50 if I get them a shared gift (which I do not mind at all). I already have their ornaments and books for each. I like to keep it fun but educational as well if at all possible.
How about a marble run they have to build? Might be able to find one for $25.00.

I picked up a classic Simon game for my boys (15 and 13 - but I know they'll think it's fun...DH said he might end up taking it from them, so I'm getting a mini one for his stocking :rotfl: ) They're $19.99 at Target, but I got it for $14.99 on Amazon.

And today UPS marks a package that was supposed to be delivered as undeliverable because "the business was closed". Umm...it's a house...we're home...and it's the address that caused a sh**storm last week...

I officially HATE UPS.

I ordered a Vera Bradley throw in the Scottie Dogs pattern Friday from Zulily. They were 19.99 (with shipping it was around $25) for.....myself. I have a thing for plush throws... what can I say? Had to make a purchase from Victoria's Secret on Friday as well, and picked up a rollerball of their Bombshell perfume for $6 to get me to the $40 mark (free $20 reward card with $40 purchase). After the dry down, it didn't smell good on me, so I'll either take it back, or give it as a gift to one of my sisters in law. My allergies are giving me heck right now, so I have to be careful with fragrances. :( After all that, I went home and found a book full of VS coupons, so I'll be heading back in the next day or 2 for more gifts.

And today UPS marks a package that was supposed to be delivered as undeliverable because "the business was closed". Umm...it's a house...we're home...and it's the address that caused a sh**storm last week...

I officially HATE UPS.
Right now I am fighting with USPS. Our road closes for flooding quite often right now (can we please have something other than rain) so USPS won't deliver. DH went to the post office Saturday to pick up our mail and they insist no packages. Funny I have tracking for multiple packages that show they are sitting at the post office. The road is open so they better show up tomorrow or someone is getting an earful

To take my mind off of my UPS woes, I'm doing some retail therapy from the comfort of my couch - just with places that I can do store pickup with or that I know won't ship via UPS LOL

Grabbed DD18 a 1 yr subscription to Architectural Digest at DiscountMags for only $3.96 (coupon code PREBF22691). She's an Interior Design major, and she really likes the mag. I'll try and intercept the first issue if it comes in time and put it in her stocking. If it doesn't come in time, then I'll just put a card in there saying I ordered it. Of course there's also a risk it comes early and she gets it before me - in which case, I'll still probably just put a card in her stocking reminding her she already got it :santa:

ETA: Good news this evening - all the stuff I bought at the Kohl's sale that the stores didn't have in stock for pickup is being shipped FedEx SmartPost so far. FedEx Smartpost shipping is slow as molasses, but generally gets here without the UPS-style game playing. If nothing else, they are honest about the fact that they ran out of time in the day and just didn't get around to delivering something - the tracking event they use tells you just that. I can respect that. As long as it's just normal shopping, and they are honest about the situation, I'm fine with short delays in delivery.

Last edited:

How about asking their parents if they have any game system you can add on to? If they have a wii, maybe they need additional games etc.

This looked cute from the Target ad: Monster Crunch game
https://www.target.com/p/monster-crunch-the-breakfast-battle-game/-/A-53471370

A tried and true one for my kids is Blokus
https://www.target.com/p/blokus-family-game/-/A-15271657

How about a marble run they have to build? Might be able to find one for $25.00.

Ohhh... that may be a good idea. Will have to look at some on Amazon and check prices!

I picked up a classic Simon game for my boys (15 and 13 - but I know they'll think it's fun...DH said he might end up taking it from them, so I'm getting a mini one for his stocking :rotfl: ) They're $19.99 at Target, but I got it for $14.99 on Amazon.

That might be a good idea, except their mom may beat me because of the noise lol. But it would be helpful for coordination and reflexes...

How about asking their parents if they have any game system you can add on to? If they have a wii, maybe they need additional games etc.

They do have a few game systems (I have actually given them a couple in the past) but the time they are allowed on it is very very limited. I try to stay away from video games because they have been an issue in the past within the family (long story I don't have the energy to get in to). Otherwise it would a good idea so I appreciate it!

Just to be clear, I have nothing against video games lol. I used to play Everquest and World of Warcraft and have multiple systems.

This looked cute from the Target ad: Monster Crunch game
https://www.target.com/p/monster-crunch-the-breakfast-battle-game/-/A-53471370

A tried and true one for my kids is Blokus
https://www.target.com/p/blokus-family-game/-/A-15271657

Once the target website stops crashing my internet for whatever reason, I will look into those. I appreciate you taking time to help! haha

I just got an American Girl catalog in the mail with a 20% off when you spend $100 or more on your first order. Expires 11/20
I have no use for it so if anyone needs it or knows anyone who does, PM and I'll give you the code.

I officially HATE UPS.
We are the very last road that the UPS man delivers too for his territory. All year long he is usually in my neighborhood around 4 pm and has a 50 mile road trip back home. During the Christmas Season, it is always around 6-7 pm. We chat sometimes and I asked him his biggest frustration and he said, lack of properly displayed house numbers. Townships and country homes have the nice fire numbers displayed out by the road, but people in villages and cities forget to properly display their numbers, or decorate around the numbers or just bad lighting and he struggles to read numbers. I apologize if this is not why your packages are being lost, but take a look at your home address numbers and see if they are properly displayed. Also, the pole that had the name our road was bent and displaying the wrong name with the other street. Someone in our neighborhood called and got it straightened out.

Old school...how about some hotwheels and a race track? Building blocks/logs/magnet toys? Something to use their imaginations! What about a pair of walkie talkies? A rocket building set? Something active - ball glove and bats? Nerf basketball set? Scooter?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter